Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The problem is, as I see it, heavy attacks have no purpose in mid- to high-level play except as guard break punishers or for any class-specific special properties (Valk's sweep, for instance). Otherwise you just get parried and destroyed. Would love to hear some alternative perspectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

What if they removed parry and made block damage x100%. Spam ahoy! :hist101:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FunkMonkey posted:

Buddy I was able to do it with a renown 10 the other day; that silly little number is rarely an accurate representation of merit, in my experience. Most of what you said is very true; you can also guarantee a light off a parry. Your spear charge is really great for catching and punishing runners. I've lost track of the times I've sheepdog'd a runner off a cliff through careful pursuit and aiming. Make sure you say "I caught you, you wascally wabbit" in chat afterward for maximum effect. Finally, try to throw people into walls as often as possible, as the stagger guarantees a top heavy, which is stronger than the sides. The daze from the top heavy will frequently confuse them enough that I can slip in a side light after as well.

Also good tips, parrying is definitely the thing I need to work on most. Maybe it's just me, but the progression of general skill seems to be getting blocks down first, then being able to tech a guard break most of the time, then finally parries and feints at the high level. A lot of the Lawbringer kit is based on following a successful parry, but at the same time encourages lazy play by allowing you to shove after every successful block to interrupt whatever they're trying to do. As such, I abuse that constantly instead of even trying to parry things even if it's a super obvious attack like a Shugoki heavy. It also means I've trained my muscle memory to try and shove after every block, so I end up doing it all the time with other characters to no avail.

So I guess that's another tip. Don't be like me.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The problem is, as I see it, heavy attacks have no purpose in mid- to high-level play except as guard break punishers or for any class-specific special properties (Valk's sweep, for instance). Otherwise you just get parried and destroyed. Would love to hear some alternative perspectives.

Hell, this includes a bunch of light attacks too. For example, the safe moves for an Orochi are the top light and the zone attack. Other lights can get parried and punished. There are very few moves which are honestly safe to use.

Which is why we see headbutt and shield slam spam being the optimum at higher levels of play. If you have a good unblockable into damage set-up like Warlord, Warden or Conq, you can do really well. Peacekeeper is the exception cause she is just fast enough to have the safest light attacks.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

One last final LB note: If you combo HLH, and the last heavy is top-oriented, you can combo into a guaranteed amplified light. The damage from this is absolutely catastrophic; probably the most of any current combo in the game. Good luck pulling it off against anyone but the most incompetent opponents, however.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Feints.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

One last final LB note: If you combo HLH, and the last heavy is top-oriented, you can combo into a guaranteed amplified light. The damage from this is absolutely catastrophic; probably the most of any current combo in the game. Good luck pulling it off against anyone but the most incompetent opponents, however.

Shove counts as the first in a combo, so a LH is all you need and is easier, though still difficult to get off.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I've pretty much only played 1v1 the last couple of weeks, so I thought I would give Dominion a shot. People in 1v1 were effortlessly parrying my lights, throwing all sorts of feint mixups and abusing indicator glitches. Just really tough matches.

Dominion on the other hand. Nobody count CGB, nobody could parry...they actually used non-guaranteed heavy attacks! I have no idea what kind of matchmaking they're using but they should really fix it.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I get sort of frustrated with "chains" in this game because they're all pretty easy to stop with just like a half second of paying attention to your guard stance :(

Mixups that you can block on reaction make offensive play remarkably hard. Basically what I'm saying is that every character should have a mixup that doesn't involve bugged stance indicators. (Warden/PK/Oro lookin at u and ur zone attacks.)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Trillhouse posted:

I've pretty much only played 1v1 the last couple of weeks, so I thought I would give Dominion a shot. People in 1v1 were effortlessly parrying my lights, throwing all sorts of feint mixups and abusing indicator glitches. Just really tough matches.

Dominion on the other hand. Nobody count CGB, nobody could parry...they actually used non-guaranteed heavy attacks! I have no idea what kind of matchmaking they're using but they should really fix it.

It might be more that dominion doesn't really train people to play well. If there's nothing but the other person you're fighting, you'll have to properly learn the ins and outs of the combat system if you want to win. In dominion, you can get by well enough following your allies in gank squads and cheesing the whole match.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Regarding the gear score issue, I feel a reasonable solution would be to follow the Destiny model. In the normal playlists, gear is disabled and everything is normalized. However, every week or so there would be an Iron Banner style playlist where gear is enabled. Encourage players to participate in this playlist with unique gear or other kinds of loot. Ubisoft's lack of foresight surrounding this issue is a little troubling. In one of their recent livestreams, I remember one of the devs saying something to the effect of "our design goal with gear was for it to be sidegrades, not obvious upgrades, and someone with a GS of 1 should be able to compete with a fully geared 108 player." Did they not playtest their game? Was gear introduced late in the development cycle by the suits at Ubisoft, screaming at the devs that their 'player investment' metrics weren't up to par?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Nasgate posted:

Shove counts as the first in a combo, so a LH is all you need and is easier, though still difficult to get off.

Unless I have very little faith in my opponent, I'll only ever attempt it on a wall stagger, as the daze from the guaranteed heavy can help rattle people. It very rarely works all the same, but when it does mmmmm-MM that's a spicy meatball.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dunno where to draw the line for high level play but heavies have plenty of use at mid tier. I'd define mid tier as people who can parry heavys no problem, so when they see their opponent throw out a heavy they throw a parry. Well if you prime their brain by doing that once, let them parry and just suffer the consequences the next go round do it but feint the heavy and see if they threw out the heavy as they attempted to parry. Now you can catch their parry because the ability to watch for feints on heavys and then feint your own parry counter is some next level matrix poo poo most people don't do.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Anyone else on PS4 getting a lot more instances of the game crashing since the most recent patch?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Anyone else feel like this game needs way more game modes and stuff to do? I want to siege a castle or fight against waves of enemies with my friends or something.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
They had Chivalry to take game modes from. It seems like a few easy inclusion, but alas.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah considering how this doesn't seem to be a smash hit with the hardcore fighting gamers yet (ok really I have no idea) it feels like they should keep trying to appeal to filthy casuals like me. I would love some more actual siege stuff/waves/(indoor fighting?)

Javes posted:

Anyone else on PS4 getting a lot more instances of the game crashing since the most recent patch?

I dunno. Hard to say. I've pretty much done my daily orders since launch and it feels like the crashes/disconnects/errors have just been a consistent, reliable threat hanging over every other match :lol:

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 11, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I hope they fix matchmaking before they add in a leavebuster thing. I have no qualms about dipping out as soon as a match starts when I'm going against prestige 10 PKs when I have a total of about prestige 2 across every class.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So trying to pick a class to really focus on. Where's a place I can really read up and get a feel for what the classes excel at?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Just had a warden complain that he can't fight me as shugoki because it's impossible for him to follow up any parries and that armor makes me broken.

A loving warden. Lol.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Red Mundus posted:

Just had a warden complain that he can't fight me as shugoki because it's impossible for him to follow up any parries and that armor makes me broken.

A loving warden. Lol.

How do you never crushing counterstrike wtfff

Javes
May 6, 2012

Had at least half a dozen crashes tonight. Which is strange because up until now the game has been performing very well for me and I haven't really been affected by any connection issues. Really hope they figure out their desync issue sooner rather than later...

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Red Mundus posted:

A loving warden. Lol.

Warden sidelight double strike is good against Shugoki. Also crushing counterstrike

GodofGravity
Jun 20, 2005
Fun Shoe

Javes posted:

Had at least half a dozen crashes tonight. Which is strange because up until now the game has been performing very well for me and I haven't really been affected by any connection issues. Really hope they figure out their desync issue sooner rather than later...

Same here. Haven't had any actual full game crashes, but ever since Tuesday's console patch (believe you mentioned previously you're on PS4 as well) the connections have been complete garbage. Constantly getting matches quitting to world map, having horrible lag with people teleporting around despite everyone in the lobby showing full green bar connection, and match-making taking forever.

All I want is to get my nobushi to rep 3 and get that sweet sweet epic gear; making her the pretty pretty death princess she was destine to be.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

loving christ I might start playing Valkyrie just because they beat my rear end so relentlessly.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just a heads up, if you're into medieval combat games, Mordhau just put up its Kickstarter.

Seems more free-flowing than For Honor, but I don't necessarily consider that to be a bad thing. And judging by the trailer it's definitely less open to gimmick moves than Chivalry, though that's not saying much.

Seems really cool so far. I backed the $40 tier and will post my impressions of the beta when it hits.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Phlegmish posted:

Just a heads up, if you're into medieval combat games, Mordhau just put up its Kickstarter.

They say when you're making a pitch for money you should definitely put your best foot forward.

If that sizzle reel was the best they had to offer I shudder to think of what the rest is like. I like the Die By The Sword swording combat and I'm glad to see it being used again, but I have to wonder if the animators have ever seen a human move and what weight and heft look like.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Sent a request to the PS4 group but if anyone wants to play I'm ACValiant on PSN.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

ACValiant posted:

Sent a request to the PS4 group but if anyone wants to play I'm ACValiant on PSN.

Do I have to be good at playing it (the game)?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Casnorf posted:

They say when you're making a pitch for money you should definitely put your best foot forward.

If that sizzle reel was the best they had to offer I shudder to think of what the rest is like. I like the Die By The Sword swording combat and I'm glad to see it being used again, but I have to wonder if the animators have ever seen a human move and what weight and heft look like.

The free-form fluidity might come at the cost of that feeling of weight, but overall I still like what I see.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure why they were so in love with creating instant death pits in this game, I wish there were more environmental damage things to throw people into like the fires or geysers, the geysers are only in one map but they are perfect in my mind because there is timing involved if you want a instant kill and otherwise they either aren't there or do a couple bars of damage if you throw someone towards it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Javes posted:

I remember one of the devs saying something to the effect of "our design goal with gear was for it to be sidegrades, not obvious upgrades, and someone with a GS of 1 should be able to compete with a fully geared 108 player." Did they not playtest their game? Was gear introduced late in the development cycle by the suits at Ubisoft, screaming at the devs that their 'player investment' metrics weren't up to par?

Yeah this is the kind of statement that is so asinine and just so ignorant of reality that it ruins your faith in the person making it. Even the most cursory testing would immediately reveal that high level gear is an upgrade, not a side grade. I can't imagine what possessed him to say something so stupid on stream.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doltos posted:

Anyone else feel like this game needs way more game modes and stuff to do? I want to siege a castle or fight against waves of enemies with my friends or something.

It definitely does. And Ubisoft knows it which is why they're making such a big deal out of how there's new game modes and maps coming in updates scheduled every couple months.

Its unbelievable there's no "duel lobby" mode, and it seems really stupid to me they created the whole faction war but there's no game mode based on faction war. Why not have a mode where its "knights v vikings" and you have to play as a character on your faction's team????

This game should be pretty cool in a few months but right now its definitely a little thin. Fun multiplayer fighting game with some balance issues, light on content otherwise. Thing is that's true of pretty much all fighting games... but yeah. Its still lame. It could be much more.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

titties posted:

Do I have to be good at playing it (the game)?

I'm pretty average so nope!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Any clue on when the other new classes are gonna come out? I have my raider to 108 with full star weapon and I need something else. And like none of the current classes really match what I like. They also are not things I'm good at.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

signalnoise posted:

Any clue on when the other new classes are gonna come out? I have my raider to 108 with full star weapon and I need something else. And like none of the current classes really match what I like. They also are not things I'm good at.

We're one month in, so as per their release schedule they have to deliver 2 new classes within 2 months from now. Probably closer to later than sooner, but definitely by then. I'd say around a month we should start hearing something concrete.
I think somebody said that with Rainbow Six they would drop two characters at the same time, so that'll probably happen here too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Trillhouse posted:

wowee your feints and skillz are ultra impress-

*two dudes gangbang you to death, completely ignoring your sick nasty feint game*

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Not that it's significant, but what's going on with the territory update thing whenever I log on? It always updates the territory control from where it was since I last played, but then immediately does it again. Why are there two stages to it?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Phlegmish posted:

Seems more free-flowing than For Honor, but I don't necessarily consider that to be a bad thing. And judging by the trailer it's definitely less open to gimmick moves than Chivalry, though that's not saying much.

Seems really cool so far. I backed the $40 tier and will post my impressions of the beta when it hits.

This looks like it could be a fun little game but it also looks like something out of 2008 and the combat looked kind of trashy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fair enough. If anyone is interested in Mordhau, I've made a separate thread about it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813125