Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also each town's clothing shop has unique outfits, as far as I can tell. There are a couple that sell the same one, but each one has at least one outfit you can only buy there. (The exception is the Zora town, where you have to do some side questing/exploring to get most of the outfit, you can't buy it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there an actual way to eavesdrop on conversations, or are all the times that the people talking tell you to gently caress off just it for info from them?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there an actual way to eavesdrop on conversations, or are all the times that the people talking tell you to gently caress off just it for info from them?

There is, but it varies from place to place. Look for open windows, vents, things to hide behind, that kind of stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just got the motherfucking Master Sword. holy shitsnacks.

The respec demon made it way too easy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Inzombiac posted:

I went this route too. He's a cool demon.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Inzombiac posted:

I was absolutely expecting Hylia to smite me endgame for using him, but yeah. So far, no goddess wrath but I'm not ruling it out as a possibility. It's a shame it doesn't run down your stamina first though, since I ended up having to respec almost everything out of stamina to hearts to hit it and then went right back to put it back again

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There are far too many lightning storms. Seems they happen almost every night.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Which was a big part of the original Zelda :) Except back then it was on the bus.

I'm repeating myself, but I think it's too good of a coincidence to be mere chance:

Looks familiar?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Everyone talking about how they want to play as Zelda meanwhile you can use the sheik amiibo to get the sheik mask and RP in your head canon that you are Zelda.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

depends on the region you are in

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Waltzing Along posted:

It depends entirely on the region. I haven't seen lightning in a while, but I had it happen a lot on the eastern side of the map.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why are there no deku scrubs?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cojawfee posted:

Because we've discovered the truth that they were just octoroks the whole time.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Your Computer posted:

I'm repeating myself, but I think it's too good of a coincidence to be mere chance:

Looks familiar?

It's intentional, I'm pretty sure it was confirmed in a recent interview.

Waltzing Along posted:

It varies by area. Some of them are plot/quest-based, others are just "this specific area has a lot of rain and lightning". Boat oars are great for that though :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

parallelodad posted:

Because we've discovered the truth that they were just octoroks the whole time.

Lame.

In all seriousness, the Deku are a race that got screwed over. The only time they ever get any serious action is in Majora's Mask. Every other game has them as actual enemies or just lame salesmen. Why do they get pushed to the wayside and the Rito get their own town and dungeon? Rito have only in one major game. I'll just imagine that the Rito are the birds from Skyward Sword that became sentient.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

I feel like there is a little bit of an RNG aspect to it as well. I've been playing since release day and it has rained in my game precisely one time. That's it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cojawfee posted:

Hunted to extinction by the Kokiri after they found out you can get high by smoking them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Holy poo poo, the basement of the labyrinth to the north of akkala

"Hello player, here's a pendant for you, isn't that nice? PSYCH, TIME TO FIGHT A HALF DOZEN GUARDIANS"

Thank you, dark souls zelda

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
What's the best weapon for getting distance with stasis? Hammer is good but the swings are slow, so I'm worried I'm not achieving maximum rock surfing here.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Holy poo poo, the basement of the labyrinth to the north of akkala

"Hello player, here's a pendant for you, isn't that nice? PSYCH, TIME TO FIGHT A HALF DOZEN GUARDIANS"

Thank you, dark souls zelda

I saw one and eliminated it before opening the chest and was like "heh nice try game"

then all the other ones turned on as I got the loot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So someone mentioned each of the main boss fights wants you to make use of one of your runes in the fight. You need to use bombs on Fireblight, Cryonis on Waterblight, Magnesis on Thunderblight, but what about Windblight? Was there something I could've used Stasis on in that fight? I never felt the need to do anything other than shoot arrows at it when it was in the air or hit it with a weapon when it was on the ground.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DalaranJ posted:

What's the best weapon for getting distance with stasis? Hammer is good but the swings are slow, so I'm worried I'm not achieving maximum rock surfing here.

Spears are amazing. Not only do you get much finer control of direction (since you stab straight forward) but you can easily get in enough hits to max out force.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So I just found and tamed a Giant Horse. :stare: I didn't even know they existed. This game is just full of surprises.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

Use hammer's charge attack. You'll store up that kinetic energy quick.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what the hell do you do to them? I couldn't figure anything out, I was looking for giant boulders to roll down the hill at them lol

Roll up snowballs big enough to open the doors.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I wanted to go to Death Mountain. Instead, I immediately burst into flames. :saddowns:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
So I need a gut check-- do other open world games have "unspoken plot" locations generally speaking, or have I just been skipping over them/not noticing them?

To wit, I just found a giant underground temple full of not-very-dead guardian robots and the first thought I had was "holy crap what the gently caress happened here". And then I realized how frequently I've come across something and asked myself that in the last week, and how frequently I don't in other games. I can't tell if it's A Thing or just me caring more about the plot/setting of a Zelda game more than, say, Far Cry.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

The sound it makes when it's charged and hits something is incredible. Feels like you have an explosion sword.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I just paid the treasure hunters in deuling peaks stable for the tip for the Misko treasure, but in the adventure log it turns out I'd already found it! Where was it? I've done a poo poo ton of exploration, though I'm a bit annoyed by how empty the world feels. They needed to add more people/ population centers and/or monsters.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Weeping Wound posted:

I wanted to go to Death Mountain. Instead, I immediately burst into flames. :saddowns:

Talk to the stable maid at the base of the mountain. She sells elixirs to prevent that.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I just paid the treasure hunters in deuling peaks stable for the tip for the Misko treasure, but in the adventure log it turns out I'd already found it! Where was it? I've done a poo poo ton of exploration, though I'm a bit annoyed by how empty the world feels. They needed to add more people/ population centers and/or monsters.

It was a hidden cave at the mouth of a river down south. It had weapons and ore I believe.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Your Computer posted:

I love the cooking system in this game, even if it's very simple. They put in so many foods too, even if they're all a combination of heart recovery+effect :3: One thing I wish the game told you that I see a lot of people struggle with is the fact that you can't combine two different effect-giving foods. My immediate reaction too was "oh man, I'll use this stealth mushroom, stamina mushroom and truffle and get the BEST dish!!" and I probably wasted a lot of ingredients before I realized that if you combine two buffs you just get generic food.

The biggest problem I've run into is "I need a health refill but my inventory's full of buff foods and if I eat this one I'll lose the toughness buff I already have!"

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You don't carry any raw food? Whenever I get hungry I just mash A and watch link chow down on apples

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So I need a gut check-- do other open world games have "unspoken plot" locations generally speaking, or have I just been skipping over them/not noticing them?

To wit, I just found a giant underground temple full of not-very-dead guardian robots and the first thought I had was "holy crap what the gently caress happened here". And then I realized how frequently I've come across something and asked myself that in the last week, and how frequently I don't in other games. I can't tell if it's A Thing or just me caring more about the plot/setting of a Zelda game more than, say, Far Cry.

I found a giant stone sword that I'm guessing is probably in the background for some story scene but since I came up the other side of the mountain it's just "holy crap, a giant stone sword!"

E: and the leviathans! "Man, I need to find some bones in this whole mountain range? Wait, is that a ribcage big enough to see on the map?"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Some do, but most don't. One of the few things I think Fallout 4 did well was having nice little environmental stories for you to find, for example. Zelda does a lot of it, too, and I'm a big fan of that.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

dragon enthusiast posted:

You don't carry any raw food? Whenever I get hungry I just mash A and watch link chow down on apples
... I make a lot of pies, okay? They heal like, 14 hearts.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I had my very first moment where the game didn't react to something I thought I should be able to do and it took like a week?

There's two people outside of hateno village looking for hearty truffles and say they won't leave until they find some so I dropped one right on top of them and they did nothing

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I thought that was a hamfisted way to tell you that you could find that particular item in the area (which you can for that area at least). That has been done in a lot of games before as a means of cluing in a player to a particular thing in one area, Skyrim in particular.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I killed my bad horse that had the same stats as another horse but lesser coat do I could stable the giant horse and complete my trihorse of Zelda , Link, and Ganondorfs horses.

Which horse if this, if Epona is on the Amiibo and Dorf's horse is the obvious?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I just found a giant underground temple full of not-very-dead guardian robots

Yeah, I found that too. Drop into the entrance, beepbeepbeepbeepBIPBIPBIP from 8 different directions and I was GONE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Emalde posted:

Which horse if this, if Epona is on the Amiibo and Dorf's horse is the obvious?

It's the solid white horse.