Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Jesus Christ Vikings, you... You shouldn't have did that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Blitz7x posted:

How do you feel about opposing teams catching balls uncontested because well

Unfortunately we need somebody to fill the void left by Isa Abdul-Quddus whose career is probably over due to a neck injury. This is a veteran signing that will likely be in the mix along with a draftee.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think the Dolphins are physically uncomfortable with empty cap space.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

VietCampo posted:

Also, there's probably a very reasonable chance that whoever the Pats wanted at the end of the 2nd would've been available at the Panthers 3rd rounder anyways, so it very well could just be them getting Ealy for nothing expect paying him.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident some dude from Rutger's secondary will be available in the early 3rd round.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Shangri-Law School posted:

The Dolphins are idiots. How did Mike Tannenbaum get a second GM gig?

Eh? The only vaguely dumb thing they've done this offseason is overpay Andre Branch

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am feeling less bad about the Jaguars trading for Branden Albert, looking at the other poo poo going on. But they have the cap space and the need that they should have kept Beachum regardless. You should give a guy coming off of a mid-season ACL tear two years to recover.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Lol remember how badly Remmers got smoked in the Super Bowl?

Also this is a Vikings long con to make Lang too expensive for Packers to keep

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Dolphins are idiots. How did Mike Tannenbaum get a second GM gig?

Tannenbaum isn't the GM. I don't understand your objection to our moves so far. I've felt like it was mostly a conservative offseason so far :shrug:

fsif posted:

I think the Dolphins are physically uncomfortable with empty cap space.

IDGI?

We are mostly signing average players to small contracts and resigning/extending our best players.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The Vikings needed to nail this FA to fix this disaster of an O-line if they were going to have any shot of being a competitor. So whatever maybe they'll draft some pieces and figure the quarterback situation out next year.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Yeah there's the Isa Abdul-Quddus news and why we signed Allen :-/

https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/840318090818785280

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

tarbrush posted:

Eh? The only vaguely dumb thing they've done this offseason is overpay Andre Branch

And Kenny Stills. And Reshad Jones. And they signed a free agent from the Steelers.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

And Kenny Stills. And Reshad Jones. And they signed a free agent from the Steelers.

Kenny Stills is a really good 24 year old WR, Reshad Jones is one of the best safeties in the NFL and maybe our best defender, Timmons...I don't know enough about him. It might be a questionable move.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/840319280315023363

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

YES!!!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm really curious to see these numbers. I want to see what was too rich for us.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Ehud posted:

I'm really curious to see these numbers. I want to see what was too rich for us.

Hey man stop being greedy! You just signed a bunch of players!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Munnerlyn back to panthers.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pubic works project posted:

Hey man stop being greedy! You just signed a bunch of players!

This year is basically we pick up the name brand cereal, check the price, put it down and grab the cheaper gigantic bag of cereal (of questionable quality) from the bottom shelf.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Very good rotational guy. Was elevated to the starter when the Pats traded Chandler Jones last year, and was not able to produce under the extra workload.

Just don't expect the world from him and he can be very solid.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Hell yeah.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Ehud posted:

This year is basically we pick up the name brand cereal, check the price, put it down and grab the cheaper gigantic bag of cereal (of questionable quality) from the bottom shelf.

That usually works with all cereal but Cheerios. I've got to have name brand Cheerios.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

how did the panthers and vikings manage to swap tackles and overpay both of them?

free agency is crazy

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Jeffrey's contract details

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/840320226436755456

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I wish I understood if that was good or not

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/840322699838787586

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, Alshon only counts as $9.5 against the cap?

Wow.

Howie is the GOAT

89 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 10, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He signed with the Patriots 2 seasons ago for 2 years $11m, $5m guaranteed after being a FA for the Browns in 2015.

So he bet on himself with a short term contract and turned it into that thing. Worked well for him.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ehud posted:

IDGI?

We are mostly signing average players to small contracts and resigning/extending our best players.

Not like I watched the tape or have any idea, but based on comments here, it sounds like Nate Allen is a bad player.

Andre Branch got a big contract for decent production playing alongside Suh and Wake.

Kenny Stills is your third receiver and got a better contract than Jeffrey and Pryor.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

Kenny Stills is your third receiver and got a better contract than Jeffrey and Pryor.

This feels like Jeffrey and Pryor taking bad deals more than anything, but maybe the league has just decided WRs suck and we need more lovely tackles.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Okay that's not bad. I hope he works out with Simon.

I'll be really happy if Ballard brings in Dontari Poe!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

fsif posted:

Not like I watched the tape or have any idea, but based on comments here, it sounds like Nate Allen is a bad player.

Andre Branch got a big contract for decent production playing alongside Suh and Wake.

It's not that Nate Allen is bad, I'd have to see the contract to tell you.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

WHOOPS posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/840308283680407552

The Vikings have signed two bad offensive tackles but will somehow still be an improvement from last year.

WHOOPS posted:

The lost out on Ricky Wagner and seemingly want Riley Reiff to play LT again. I am not holding my breath for the Vikings to rebound in 2017.

It's a bad year to need OTs and the Vikings needed to find two starting OTs and there wasn't much hope for finding a day one starter in the draft. Will be very interested to see how the guaranteed money is structured, hoping that it is loaded up front, so they have flexibility down the road. Reiff seems to be an average tackle on both sides, better at RT than LT, but he should stabilize things in the short term and hopefully move back to RT in a year or two. Remmers is a below average LT, but can be average at RT. It is nice that both Reiff and Remmers can play both tackle spots, since depth was a huge issue last season, and both are stronger in the running game than passing game. Given how ineffective the Vikings running game was last season, these signings should help get the running game moving again and bring some balance to the offense, which should ease things a bit for Bradford. Not under any delusions that Reiff or Remmers are great, but they are welcome additions after last year's disaster. I also expect them to draft a developmental OT on day 2 and would expect 2-3 OL to be added during the draft. FAs were to stop the bleeding, but they still need better talent to develop and solidify things long term.

Will be interesting to see what they do next. They are looking at backup veteran running backs to pair with Jet McKinnon. Probably a guy like Latavius Murray or Eddie Lacy and then will add a better back in the draft. They still need depth at WR, a slot corner (unless they intend to use Mac Alexander there full time), depth at corner, depth at DT, and possibly an OLB to compete with Lamur and Robinson. Lots of work to be done still, but it is a start.

FizFashizzle posted:

drat, I was hoping the Vikings would be able to keep Captain. His first year was rough, but he was really good the last two years when he started playing in Zimmer's system and not freelancing.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Reiff is the dictionary definition of adequate. I like him.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

pubic works project posted:

Okay that's not bad. I hope he works out with Simon.

I'll be really happy if Ballard brings in Dontari Poe!

Another that is heavily frontloaded too, Ballard is using his cap space this year to really be flexible down the road. Makes sense when overhauling a lot of the roster.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oh also the Reshad Jones contract is huge even though he's really good.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Ehud posted:

Kenny Stills is a really good 24 year old WR, Reshad Jones is one of the best safeties in the NFL and maybe our best defender, Timmons...I don't know enough about him. It might be a questionable move.

Timmons is loving awesome unless he's gotten injured a ton in the last year or so.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Reiff is the dictionary definition of adequate. I like him.

FA is basically overpaying for adequate players, but after years of poor drafting and player development along the OL, adequate is a nice step up. Still hoping that the Vikings will draft a developmental LT like Dawkins or Garcia, so Reiff can eventually move back to RT.

This Tweet does a good job of explaining how tough the OT market is this year and the draft isn't any better. At least next year's OT crop is supposed to be better.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/840256960331161600

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

Another that is heavily frontloaded too, Ballard is using his cap space this year to really be flexible down the road. Makes sense when overhauling a lot of the roster.

The guys are still relatively young too, so that's nice. Much better to see if they can grow rather than the old players Grigson signed who were already declining.

Also pass rushers, thank God.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Man. Tackles in this free agency are like a 40 year old single man with gainful employment, all his teeth and no children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fsif posted:

Kenny Stills will have a better year than Jeffrey and Pryor

Print the shirts

• Locked thread