Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There are still people who've skipped seeing the movie because they don't normally dig on horror, so...~kinda maybe~?

The spoilering past the first page or so after the movie comes out is dumb in all the movie threads. Who the gently caress is jumping to page 8 of a thread on a current movie they haven't seen and cares about spoilers?

Steve Yun posted:

As an aside from the current line of argument, my roommate pointed out that many movies dealing with race will always have the One Good White Guy in the movie who isn't racist and takes sides with the aggrieved black people in the film, and Get Out doesn't even have that.

Rose is that character. That's why so many people still didn't think she was bad until she makes it clear to Chris that she's in on it. That One Good White Guy is always also a racist, but movies like to pretend otherwise, because #NotAll[whatever group you're talking about]. Everyone is racist, because we're social apes that compete with other groups of social apes for resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Echo Chamber posted:

I want to put white Hillary supporters and white Bernie supporters in a room, ask them which group is more woke, and then back out and lock the door when they start arguing.

Slowly raise the room temperature and pipe in an instrumental-only version of "Afternoon Delight" that gets progressively louder as they do.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

The spoilering past the first page or so after the movie comes out is dumb in all the movie threads. Who the gently caress is jumping to page 8 of a thread on a current movie they haven't seen and cares about spoilers?

Rose is that character. That's why so many people still didn't think she was bad until she makes it clear to Chris that she's in on it. That One Good White Guy is always also a racist, but movies like to pretend otherwise, because #NotAll[whatever group you're talking about]. Everyone is racist, because we're social apes that compete with other groups of social apes for resources.

lol no racism is not some :biotruths:

I'm sure you felt real smart typing that out, but god drat you dumb as gently caress

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I'd also argue that Stephen Root's character fits that same "possible white savior" role, maybe even moreso than Rose. He might not come with the instinctual "trust the white woman" reaction, but he presents himself as at least semi-'woke' to the racism of his peers and expresses some measure of disgust over it. Isn't until later that he reveals as a guy who basically sees all the racism of the world but is able to turn a blind eye as long as it benefits him. He might not be completely dead-eyed psychopathic about it, but he still won't help save Chris just because it's the right thing to do.

(None of those puns were intended.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bruh that entire party was nothing but white liberals the movie.

Dad'sI would have voted for Obama. The white lady that knows best and just wants to fix the black dude's flaw. The white girl that just can't believe her family is so racist

Jokes about penis size, asking about sports players. Their love of everything black culture

The entire loving movie is about the logical endpoint of the idolatry of Black Culture white liberals often love without any actual care about black people's​ personhood themselves.

That endpoint is no different than the hardcore racist's endpoint. It's just done in a nicer manner.(Sisters strat vs Brothers strat.)

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 11, 2017

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

In a white liberal world, Bernie Sanders supporters get mad at you for voting for Clinton because they say it's against your own economic interest, but they still believe in your right to vote for whoever you voted for.

Cliven Bundy and the white people in Get Out don't believe in your right to make your own choices, they take away your freedom and tell you that subservience is what's best for you.

That's the difference, and why there's room for there to be a separate movie about well-meaning white liberals who do harm unintentionally.

No, in a white liberal world Clinton supporters call her "abuela" despite her being a rich white lady.

Every white person at the party is the same type of person who "doesn't see race", but Stephen Root's character even says that being black is "exotic" or a "change of pace" (despite mentioning right after that that "he doesn't care")...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

One thing that I heard over at NPR is that the box of photos may not have processed as a "She's in on it" realization because it may have manifested as a "gently caress, I'm a fetish object" fear that underlies many interracial relationships. It was a perspective that I didn't think about, but I thought was interesting.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Regarding Rose, I was one of the people that thought that she had been hypnotized too right up until she says "You know I can't give you the keys" because it made be think back to the disagreement she and her parents have about what day the party happens each year early on in the movie. When Chris realizes something is up, the way he acts, my first thought was Oh cool Chris realizes she must be a victim too, especially with for how long she kept re-attempting to get keys that she knows are in her bag.
That scene was done that way very intentionally. I was convinced Rose was innocent until Chris found the photos. When she couldn't find the keys initially in the bedroom it was really the clincher. Then as that scene went on, she seemed to be just stuck in that loop and I began to wonder if maybe she was brainwashed. I held out hope, that maybe just maybe, the pretty white girl is a good guy. My brain was doing everything to give her the benefit of doubt, and its pretty hosed up.

And it was all set up by this:

JawnV6 posted:

Yeah, I thought this was a deliberate choice. I thought the early scene with Rose blowing off the cop was a bit heavy-handed SHE'S ONE OF THE GOOD ONES anti-racist bit. Then later, of course she didn't want a state record of Chris being with her when he disappears. But there's enough ambiguity in the script to her motives that even after the pictures there's room to stuff a soft bigotry "pretty white girl can't be evil, gotta be the mother" in there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

One thing that I heard over at NPR is that the box of photos may not have processed as a "She's in on it" realization because it may have manifested as a "gently caress, I'm a fetish object" fear that underlies many interracial relationships. It was a perspective that I didn't think about, but I thought was interesting.

That would've been more plausible had Georgina (I can't remember if Walter was) not been among the photos.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That would've been more plausible had Georgina (I can't remember if Walter was) not been among the photos.

This. When Chris was first going through the photos, my first thought was "she's just had a bunch of black boyfriends that she didn't tell Chris about", and I assumed then that Rose was at best a little bit racist and objectified black men. And then you get to Walter and Georgina at the end and that's when it became clear.

Chris asking Rose for the keys could've either been him still in denial, both at the situation he's in and that someone he fell in love with was a totally different person, or an attempt to defuse the situation by pretending he doesn't know she's in on it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I thought it was poetic that it happened to be a camera's flash that temporarily neutralized the occupying consciousness and brought the authentic self out of the Sunken Place.

Besides the obvious reading about the danger and animosity that underlies the fetishization of black people by whites (done by both left and right wingers), I think a case could be made for it being a cautionary tale against being absorbed by or assimilating to the American establishment, represented by an ideal, rich, artificially cultured and multi-generational family. You've got the old school grandparents (who already own their own set of black bodies), the out-of-touch but trying to be hip parents who both happen to be members of the medical community, and then the son and daughter. I'm tired and don't really feel like doing a long effort post about the different institutional and class entities/historical archetypes each family member could be representative of, but I think that the family as a whole is a symbolic portrait of the establishment culture. It's perverse and incestuous, and while on its surface it may seem racial and its tool may be white supremacy, it's underlying nature is parasitic.

Also, this was a total blast to see in a theater.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My initial gut reaction walking out the theater: the violence at the end didn't go far enough. I wish they showed more instead of cutting away.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm legit sad my audience wasn't poo poo. Did anyone record reactions? I wanna feel that excitement. :(

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I'm legit sad my audience wasn't poo poo. Did anyone record reactions? I wanna feel that excitement. :(

My theater never has people who react to the movies either. They all just blankly stare no matter what happens on screen. Eh at least we both got to see a good horror film.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 12, 2017

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

My theater enjoyed it and there was a lot of laughter. I did notice that some people left and never came back though, and I overheard someone saying "glad we wasted our money on this poo poo" after it was over. Gotta love butthurt white people in a deep red state.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Queering Wheel posted:

Gotta love butthurt white people in a deep red state.

I had a dude decked out in I'm A Vietnam Vet regalia getting visibly angrier and angrier during Kong today. It was awesome.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

i wish i had a recording of the guy going HELL YEAH HELL YEAH when the car door opened at the end.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

CelticPredator posted:

In my theater, there was a lot of laughter at Rod's parts, and people broke into applause when Rose got taken out, some muttering/'oh poo poo's when the squad car lights appeared, and cheering/applause when it turned out it was Rod.

I live in the DMV area, and people get excited about movies. I remember seeing Creed in theaters and everyone went nuts when the Rocky theme started up during the last round.

Sorry you have such blasé moviegoers.

I'm trying to convince my dad to go see this, but he's on the fence because he thinks it looks like a mix of 'Guess Who and Texas Chainsaw Massacre'. Also the friend he usually goes to the movies with is a huge racist, so I kind of want to know if his head explodes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is the only time i've had real audience reaction apart from midnight showings of star wars movies (i felt like i was going insane when people kept cheering and applauding during revenge of the sith).

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
My crowd was pretty good, so much so that I even got hit by some gum someone threw back into the seats when the movie started. I felt pretty cool because I was all like "joke's on you I like to get hit by stranger's gum" and put it in my pocket.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Echo Chamber posted:

I want to put white Hillary supporters and white Bernie supporters in a room, ask them which group is more woke, and then back out and lock the door when they start arguing.

good name, good post

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

meanwhile, off screen, men in pointy hats are slowly and methodically killing everyone

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm just wondering, are there any white liberals who make no pretense of "getting" this movie? Or they actually do get it, but are mad that the movie is specifically indicting them? Because, I honestly want to hate read that review.

Queering Wheel posted:

My theater enjoyed it and there was a lot of laughter. I did notice that some people left and never came back though, and I overheard someone saying "glad we wasted our money on this poo poo" after it was over. Gotta love butthurt white people in a deep red state.
I haven't been following the white conservative reaction to this movie too closely, figuring they'd mostly avoid it in the first place, but if they're put off by the unsympathetic portrayal of white liberals, it's another sign that the "divide" between liberal and conservative whites is quite superficial and often arbitrary. Conservatives are not only invested in tribalism, but the idea that white men are still dominating "the other tribe", even if they're the white men who'd vote for Obama for a third term.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why are y'all still using spoiler tags?

The only criticism I can level at this movie without a rewatch is that one jump scare having wayyyyyy too overblown a musical cue.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Why are y'all still using spoiler tags?

The only criticism I can level at this movie without a rewatch is that one jump scare having wayyyyyy too overblown a musical cue.

I can't even think of the moment you're talking about. The deer hitting the car?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can't even think of the moment you're talking about. The deer hitting the car?

Nah, it's when Chris goes out to get a smoke in the middle of the night and Georgina(I think) is seen wandering the halls behind him. There's an incredibly loud musical sting that made the entire row in front of me jump even though it's just a silhouette going by. It felt pretty cheap.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I can't be the only one who wants a tongue-in-cheek parody of "The Blind Side" where Tim McGraw and Sandra Bullock are adopting Michael solely so they can brain transplant their football-obsessed milquetoasty son into a strong black future NFL left tackle, right?

Because I kind of want that to exist now, just to take the piss out of that movie.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 13, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm just wondering, are there any white liberals who make no pretense of "getting" this movie? Or they actually do get it, but are mad that the movie is specifically indicting them? Because, I honestly want to hate read that review.

I haven't been following the white conservative reaction to this movie too closely, figuring they'd mostly avoid it in the first place, but if they're put off by the unsympathetic portrayal of white liberals, it's another sign that the "divide" between liberal and conservative whites is quite superficial and often arbitrary. Conservatives are not only invested in tribalism, but the idea that white men are still dominating "the other tribe", even if they're the white men who'd vote for Obama for a third term.

I know white (and hispanic) "liberals" who saw the movie and don't get it at all. I had one guy talk about how great it was to me...and then explain the movie and point of the movie sounding exactly like Rose's brother. I just made a Chris face when it happened.

Basically, as long as people see black people as an "other," they can easily fall into the trap of contributing to racism. By otherizing, even in the manner of a fetish, it often or typically leads to dehumanizing, which only ads to overall negative impact.

For instance, the "big dick" statement at the party - I've often heard that in defense of stereotypes since it's supposedly a "positive" stereotype, but there are plenty of black guys who don't have big dicks, so...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Echo Chamber posted:

you may benefit from reading transcripts of peele's interviews on the subject of this film and the "post-racial society" line

insofar as outlooks on the film from the right, the most hilarious is that of /pol/ and its alt-right siblings the rare chance it comes up. "lol <party> are the real racists" *gets back to concernposting and hand-wringing about brown people and islam.* Like, yes I get that this film looks at a more interesting subject than confederate flag waving hicks...but sweet Jesus, people.

there is not much of a pulse I have been able to find on the subject of this film in traditional compassionate conservative hangouts

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 13, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

GrandpaPants posted:

It's actually the other way around. The movie is not about about the real-world threat of body-snatching surgery cults. Chris' girlfriend 'merely' has a fetish, but he processes this as her being part of an international conspiracy.

The film literalizes Chris' irrational fantasies about 'becoming white' - that getting a better career, marrying into wealth (and so-on) will compromise his 'essential blackness' and turn him into just another white dude. Chris sincerely believes that 'selling out' in the photography world is as bad as getting Trayvon Martin'd. Of course he's being blinkered and self-important.

The truth is that Chris retreats into conspiracy theory as an alternative to class consciousness. The entire ending of the film is this blue pill/red pill false dichotomy between remaining subordinate to 'the man' (the police car) or perceiving the world as a reptilian vampire conspiracy (the nutty friend's car). Shouldn't the response to his friend's "I told you so!" be that, no, he got it wrong? The women were not hypnotizing men into having depraved sex orgies. What if we choose neither car? What happened to Andre?

The unfortunate thing, in most responses to the film, is that the Chris character is understood in this apolitical, apsychological way. He's just 'the good guy' passively reacting to what's in front of him, even at the end. He's not understood as fighting for anything, even though he inherently is.

To the point: the film does not satirize liberalism. It straightforwardly dramatizes a conflict within liberalism, between 'hip' Obama supporters and 'lame' Obama supporters (aka Hillary supporters). Meanwhile, the working class - i.e. grandma and grandpa - are lying dead at the side of the road.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's actually the other way around. The movie is not about about the real-world threat of body-snatching surgery cults. Chris' girlfriend 'merely' has a fetish, but he processes this as her being part of an international conspiracy.

The film literalizes Chris' irrational fantasies about 'becoming white' - that getting a better career, marrying into wealth (and so-on) will compromise his 'essential blackness' and turn him into just another white dude. Chris sincerely believes that 'selling out' in the photography world is as bad as getting Trayvon Martin'd. Of course he's being blinkered and self-important.

The truth is that Chris retreats into conspiracy theory as an alternative to class consciousness. The entire ending of the film is this blue pill/red pill false dichotomy between remaining subordinate to 'the man' (the police car) or perceiving the world as a reptilian vampire conspiracy (the nutty friend's car). Shouldn't the response to his friend's "I told you so!" be that, no, he got it wrong? The women were not hypnotizing men into having depraved sex orgies. What if we choose neither car? What happened to Andre?

The unfortunate thing, in most responses to the film, is that the Chris character is understood in this apolitical, apsychological way. He's just 'the good guy' passively reacting to what's in front of him, even at the end. He's not understood as fighting for anything, even though he inherently is.

To the point: the film does not satirize liberalism. It straightforwardly dramatizes a conflict within liberalism, between 'hip' Obama supporters and 'lame' Obama supporters (aka Hillary supporters). Meanwhile, the working class - i.e. grandma and grandpa - are lying dead at the side of the road.

[wide-eyed and tonguing my vampire fangs]
vhaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

[wide-eyed and tonguing my vampire fangs]
vhaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Grandma and grandpa, despite being 'secretly white' are still treated exactly like black servants. The confusion as to what race they are - "I'm the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude." - is a distraction from their class.

Chris' reaction when this servant starts crying is to dismiss her as crazy. He later doesn't understand why she reacts badly to losing her home and job.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Haha good one, now let us know what you think after seeing the movie.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeeeah I've been trying to untangle that one and keep coming back to the notion that guy is confusing :getout: with Jennifer Anniston's The Good Girl.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
No, no, he's got the right of it. There's no actual surgery taking place or supernatural hypnosis, it's all just various manifestation of the central villain's economic anxietyinherent reverse racism towards the white benefactors.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Its SuperMechaGodzilla, don't feed him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Potato Salad posted:

Yeeeah I've been trying to untangle that one and keep coming back to the notion that guy is confusing :getout: with Jennifer Anniston's The Good Girl.

When you realize SMG/his posts tend to be pretty racist in and of themselves it makes more sense. People are mistaken about racism existing because the real problem is social class is a running theme across his posts. SMG would have voted for Obama a third time.

More on topic to the movie, I notice people mention often how Chris doesn't take much action throughout the movie until the end, and that he "doesn't even" finish off Rose. When he chooses not to kill her himself, I think people are missing out on that it's not that he can't bring himself to kill her, it's that he's choosing to kill her in the exact same way he, as it the event unfolds, up to that point thought that he "chose" to kill his mom. This was a very personal and difficult memory for him, one that, going by the movie, he's only ever really shared with Rose and even then only a ways into the film. When he tells that story part of why I thought he took that blame on himself was that he didn't want to accept that, obviously, other people drove by, she wasn't in the middle of nowhere, but no one thought she was worth helping. Rose is remembering this when she tries to bullshit him at the end with the sudden burst of I love yous, she thinks he'll save her as a chance to "redeem" himself. This to me is why the ending with Rod showing up is so powerful. She dies abandoned on the road bleeding out, he gives her a death plenty of people have suffered that very specifically only happens when some people witness it and deliberately think someone isn't worth saving and ride on.

I think that also dovetails really well with how his entire realization that something is seriously wrong and he needs to leave ASAP happens when he recognizes and tries to work with Andre and take the picture of him even though Andre is a black man from Brooklyn who went missing six months ago. And growing up here I've seen that absolute disparity in the spread of missing person posters, how much authorities actually care, etc. depending on the ethnicity of a missing person.

Andre is a textbook example of someone white people wouldn't even notice is gone, but they underestimate not only Chris' mind but his empathy. Rose sees everything about Chris as potential material, she doesn't realize how strong the circumstances of his mom's death forced him to be until the final shot of her bleeding out in the middle of nowhere, guaranteed to not be found until she's dead.

So while Chris of course takes violent and immediate action to take out the family for what they were doing to him and what they did to the other victims, the way he dealt with Rose was particularly powerful to me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

People are mistaken about racism existing because the real problem is social class is a running theme across his posts. SMG would have voted for Obama a third time.

Interesting that this makes me think you did not see the movie.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

By Chris "selling out" do u mean that Stephen Root (being an admittedly talentless photographer but wealthy/succesful art dealer) taking him over would suggest that he became a white wealthy talentless guy? Because i dunno, it seems like Chris's work is represented as both essential for his mental well-being as well as his survival, in that sense isnt the point not that Chris fears that he's being assimilated or w/e but that his talent is ignored because of his blackness (like @ the party). The only person who we see connect with Chris's photos in a meaningful way is his friend & the flash of his camera is the trigger for Logan/grandpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Grandma and grandpa, despite being 'secretly white' are still treated exactly like black servants. The confusion as to what race they are - "I'm the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude." - is a distraction from their class.

Chris' reaction when this servant starts crying is to dismiss her as crazy. He later doesn't understand why she reacts badly to losing her home and job.

I was just loving around, I get what you're saying and I think it's an interesting way of looking at it

• Locked thread