Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Computer posted:

No matter how many Koroks I find, I never stop :3:'ing at the little "Yahaha!"

Treebabbies, you're the best.

Every time I scaled a mountain peak, those little bastards had gotten there first :argh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

snoremac posted:

They're more than made up for by the guardians' ability to chase you for ten miles firing lasers.

Honestly I like them a lot more than the stationary ones-- they conveniently place themselves at a distance where the eyeflash correlates really well to block timing instead of having to try and time the beam itself, and if you're not feeling the pot lids you can find a pillar or a wall to hump and hack their legs off while they're trying to draw a bead on you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Escobarbarian posted:

Thanks for this, but checked all the ponds around there and not found anything yet :( did get the Zora Helm though which was neat

I found voltfins swimming through the Zora River. Also if you've found the Electric Wizzrobe Party Tower, I'm pretty sure the lake surrounding it always has voltfins swimming in it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i got zora pants from a zora girl

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a.lo posted:

i got zora pants from a zora girl

If you don't have the Helm yet, go look at the history plinth at the North side of the pools where the Zora sleep at night.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you don't have the Helm yet, go look at the history plinth at the North side of the pools where the Zora sleep at night.

cool thanks. I've been using my twilight princess link cap for far too long.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just beat the game, big ending spoilers:

With regards to Ganon having given up on reincarnation to go full power for this final boss, and this being seemingly the last game in the timeline - do you think this is their way of closing the book for good on Ganon being behind everything, and the setting never truly changing from being a medieval land? They revealed some very modern looking early designs for this game , such as Link having a motorbike, before they settled where they did, and I'm wondering if they truly wanted to move the series into a completely different place, but felt that before they did so they had to wrap up everything that came before. The 10,000 year gap would leave plenty of room for them to make new games in the old style if they wanted to go back but it also gives them free reign to push the series in some new direction. Zelda mentions at the end that they'll restore Hyrule to its former glory and beyond, and she's very technologically minded in this game.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I found voltfins swimming through the Zora River. Also if you've found the Electric Wizzrobe Party Tower, I'm pretty sure the lake surrounding it always has voltfins swimming in it.

Thanks, I got it!

In other news the game just blood moon'd on me right as I was about to kill a silver Lynel ahahahahaha gently caress

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Escobarbarian posted:

Thanks, I got it!

In other news the game just blood moon'd on me right as I was about to kill a silver Lynel ahahahahaha gently caress

when i was doing that sheikah tower south of lost woods (with the electric lizalfos swimming around) it was raining so i was hanging around waiting for it to stop and got bloodmoon'd on and instantly got fried because i was stuck on a metal box next to the lizalfos

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Okay this is driving me nuts. How do you avoid lightning in the storms? I can't move around at all, I start getting little shocks and then about five seconds later instant death. I tried removing everything metal but that hasn't helped.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Another thing I realized I really like is how the hunting works. It's so simple but since it's something you can just do any time, it's fun rather than annoying. If there were hunting in Ocarina of Time and you needed deer meat, you'd have to go to Kokiri forest because that would be where the deer lived.. But here you can be on your way to doing literally anything else and be like "hell yes I would love a delicious water buffalo ribeye"

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Okay this is driving me nuts. How do you avoid lightning in the storms? I can't move around at all, I start getting little shocks and then about five seconds later instant death. I tried removing everything metal but that hasn't helped.

Did you remove your bow?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Random Stranger posted:

You're missing something. Go through bows, shields, weapons. Anything metal will be electrified in your inventory.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Did you remove your bow?

That was it. Easy to overlook it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Another thing I realized I really like is how the hunting works. It's so simple but since it's something you can just do any time, it's fun rather than annoying. If there were hunting in Ocarina of Time and you needed deer meat, you'd have to go to Kokiri forest because that would be where the deer lived.. But here you can be on your way to doing literally anything else and be like "hell yes I would love a delicious water buffalo ribeye"

smh if your immediate reaction to hearing a hawk isn't to ready your bow and snipe that birb

Hunting is great in this game so I never lack ingredients. :3: I love cooking systems in games but often dislike the hunting because it feels like a chore but this game nails it. Probably helps that you have so many fun ways to do it too, like dropping out of the air and drone striking an unsuspecting goat.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hunting in this game is fun because you don't have to use a bow to do it and instead have a variety of creative tools to use instead.

Always fish with bombs.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Just beat the game, big ending spoilers:

With regards to Ganon having given up on reincarnation to go full power for this final boss, and this being seemingly the last game in the timeline - do you think this is their way of closing the book for good on Ganon being behind everything, and the setting never truly changing from being a medieval land? They revealed some very modern looking early designs for this game , such as Link having a motorbike, before they settled where they did, and I'm wondering if they truly wanted to move the series into a completely different place, but felt that before they did so they had to wrap up everything that came before. The 10,000 year gap would leave plenty of room for them to make new games in the old style if they wanted to go back but it also gives them free reign to push the series in some new direction. Zelda mentions at the end that they'll restore Hyrule to its former glory and beyond, and she's very technologically minded in this game.

(Warning, :words: about the ending)

The implication that I got from it was he showed up, was going to reincarnate as Triforce-wielder Ganondorf after blowing the poo poo out of everything but Zelda trapped "most" of him in stasis with her for 100 years. He was on the verge of kicking his way out when we showed up and interrupted him again, beat the poo poo out of the mutated cthulu-form, and he gave up his attempt to reincarnate physically for the purpose of kicking our poo poo in first and doing the physical thing later. We kicked his rear end, Zelda sealed him again, and he'll probably show up like an rear end in a top hat again in a couple thousand years or something.

The 10,000 year gap, I got the sense that it wasn't a "things involving Ganon happened in between then and 100 years ago", it was "they geared up to kick Ganon's rear end with machines, and did so, and then had 10,000 years of him not even bothering to show up until he figured out how to come back and corrupt the machines at the same time". Even if they placed something involving the usual formula in that duration, they'd be constrained by needing to have the Shekiah tech/god machines around.

I will say that it's interesting that the macguffins of this game are entirely based in "man-made tech" with a side order of probably-Fi-in-the-sword (which in hindsight I find loving hilarious never talked to the-player-as-Link but apparently was Navi-ing the gently caress out of Zelda for 100 years so :laffo:), and there's absolutely no reference to the Triforce outside of coats of arms and Zelda's spellcasting, presumably because the designers said "poo poo we need to put it in here somewhere". It was almost like a subversion of the "old ancient not-understandable tech turns on us and kills us all" because we then immediately use the exact same tech for the intended use anyways. There is no moral to the story, go home.

I'm "interested" in seeing where it gets placed on the official timeline, but if they bite the bullet and say "everything's an AU forever, stop loving asking" I'd be just as happy because it's obvious they can really run with this poo poo when they're not constrained by some minor lore point some intern writer included as one-off quest text 5 games ago.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

One time I went to hunt an elk and accidentally used a x3 bow with bomb arrows instead. Carpet bombed a family of deer.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

does anyone else hate the voice acting? zoras are the only good ones

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really wish I could have the Japanese voice acting :japan:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

strap on revenge posted:

The voice acting is pretty mediocre. Though its odd that you mention the Zora because I think Mipha has the worst voice acting in the game by a huge margin. Her character is pretty dull to start with and her voice acting doesn't help with that.

Also I really don't need to hear :byodood: URBOSA'S FURY IS READY :byodood: every single day.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

strap on revenge posted:

Its hit and miss. Zelda especially has some of the worst delivery in the game and some of the best depending on what scene you're watching.

Like she's actually good in most of the memories and then you have poo poo like the blood moon cutscene and its just the worst.

I could have done without it all together and I hope if they have it in the future they focus on it a bit more so you don't get weird dissonance.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The voice acting is pretty mediocre. Though its odd that you mention the Zora because I think Mipha has the worst voice acting in the game by a huge margin. Her character is pretty dull to start with and her voice acting doesn't help with that.

Also I really don't need to hear :byodood: URBOSA'S FURY IS READY :byodood: every single day.

i mostly meant the prince and the king, i kinda forgot about mipha being boring

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My biggest problem with the voice acting is that it sounds so fake. Both the Old Man and Impa sound like they're putting on a bad "old voice" and it's my biggest pet peeve. :qq:

The voices are also incredibly uninteresting, from accent to delivery. I know I'm incredibly spoiled by the Souls series but come on. English voice acting doesn't have to be bad, guys :(

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Hunting in this game is fun because you don't have to use a bow to do it and instead have a variety of creative tools to use instead.

Always fish with bombs.

I was surprised the first time I was able to grab a fish, I was 100% sure there was going to be a fishing mechanic in this game but that was the point it became clear that literally nothing was sacred.

Makes sense though, I doubt anyone would want to waste a slot for a sword carrying around a fishing rod. Or would it be a ranged weapon? 🤔

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mipha's whole story could've been cooler if there had been any real explanation of why she and link were close instead of just a cutscene where she basically says verbatim "I like playing support <3" while link stares blankly back.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Your Computer posted:

My biggest problem with the voice acting is that it sounds so fake. Both the Old Man and Impa sound like they're putting on a bad "old voice" and it's my biggest pet peeve. :qq:

The voices are also incredibly uninteresting, from accent to delivery. I know I'm incredibly spoiled by the Souls series but come on. English voice acting doesn't have to be bad, guys :(

... wait are we using Souls as an example of a series with good English voice acting?

lol

PantsBandit posted:

Mipha's whole story could've been cooler if there had been any real explanation of why she and link were close instead of just a cutscene where she basically says verbatim "I like playing support <3" while link stares blankly back.

Yeah there's implications that they've been friends from childhood somehow. But that makes zero sense with every other part of the Zora storyline with the whole rampant xenophobia and fact she was a princess while he was the son of a Hylian knight?

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 11, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

... wait are we using Souls as an example of a series with good English voice acting?

lol

...yes?

I don't know what universe you live in, the voice acting in the soulsborne games range from "good" to "amazing" and grant the games so much character and atmosphere. I mean, I guess everything's subjective but I don't think this is a crazy opinion to have :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Your Computer posted:

I really wish I could have the Japanese voice acting :japan:

Undubbing sounds like it's not-too-difficult on the WiiU, at least :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The English voice acting in this game literally sounds like bad anime dubbing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

...yes?

I don't know what universe you live in, the voice acting in the soulsborne games range from "good" to "amazing" and grant the games so much character and atmosphere. I mean, I guess everything's subjective but I don't think this is a crazy opinion to have :v:

Agree to disagree I guess. The atrocious echo effects and filters always made me completely tune out.

It doesn't help the majority of NPCs speak in breathless whispers or incredibly ploddingly. The acting itself is probably good but they really gently caress with it. :shrug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

The English voice acting in this game literally sounds like bad anime dubbing

Hey I haven't heard anyone do the typical ear-grating high pitched voice yet at least :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Internet Kraken posted:

I do.
Goddamn Naboris was an incredible dungeon. These puzzles just build up so much momentum and it never stops. It seriously helps that you have all the tools you'll ever need with you at all times

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Naboris is probably the best dungeon of the lot. It has some really tricky puzzles, a lot of moving pieces and feels decently varied.

The Rito dungeon is, fittingly, the worst. Feels small, the puzzles are easy as hell and it just feels disappointing compared to the rest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do with the giant "shoot this with electricity" thing on the wall to the East of Gerudo Summit? I assume Farosh flying past at around 2am is involved somehow, I just can't put it all together and Kass doesn't seem to be in the area to give a hint.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like Mipha

I like to think Link wears blue in this game because he was raised by Zoras, just like he wears green in OoT because he was raised by Kokiri

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do with the giant "shoot this with electricity" thing on the wall to the East of Gerudo Summit? I assume Farosh flying past at around 2am is involved somehow, I just can't put it all together and Kass doesn't seem to be in the area to give a hint.

shock arrows

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cheetah7071 posted:

I like Mipha

I like to think Link wears blue in this game because he was raised by Zoras, just like he wears green in OoT because he was raised by Kokiri

It's explicitly stated he has a human father, who was a Hylian knight like he was.

cheetah7071 posted:

shock arrows

I tried my last one and nothing seemed to happen. Guess I'll trudge down the mountain and get more.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also the blue tunic is the offical ceremonial outfit of the Princess' bodyguard apparently. One of the first memories/Zelda's diary talks about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

My assumption was that it was somehow very clear that link and zelda were THE link and zelda from an early age and link was basically being preened to be the hero by training with the various races. Also explains why zelda was so bitter that link took to the whole destiny stuff so much easier than she did.