Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I have gone days without listening to music and not felt a shred of anxiety about it, so I think this guy's analysis could use a little more nuance

I like that his frame of reference is a hostess snack cake, lol. Gotta go with the vice he knows, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

I have gone days without listening to music and not felt a shred of anxiety about it, so I think this guy's analysis could use a little more nuance

I start to get unhappy if I've gone a couple of days without a podcast or something.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Cumslut1895 posted:

there's probably something in not constantly blasting your ears with music. you'd probably enjoy it a lot more when you did listen to it.

That might seem logical but I have never noticed that in practice. If anything if I stop listening to music for too long my desire for it wanes

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nazzadan posted:

My [22F] best friend [23F] is out of work and applied for a job at my office. It's giving me anxiety and I don't know why or what to do.

I wonder if OP would get in trouble for Beth lying just because she used her as a reference? I assume not.

She has nothing to worry about. When she comes clean, they're going to deny her application (99.9% chance of that happening), would YOU as a person hire someone that lied the first contact they had with you?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

fruit on the bottom posted:

Googling the no music thing actually brings up a lot of people on the internet treating it as some sort of addiction.

What a weird opinion.

Music can have a large impact on your mood, whether you want it to or not. If you're trying to concentrate on something, one type of music might be great for that, but another disastrous. You can ride higher or sink lower in mood depending on the tempo and key of music playing. I have a legit spergy friend who does not like music because he feels that it is hostile because it tries to manipulate him, tries to make him feel a certain way. He's not technically wrong.

American corporations experimented with music and maximizing labor and discovered that rising tempo up to a peak, leaving it there for a bit, slowing it down, having silence for a few minutes and then repeating was especially effective. Muzak did a lot of the creation of custom music and experimentation stuff, and corporations took part in tests. Then people found out about it and complained about mind control and there was tons of bad press so Muzak just switched to instrumental covers of pop songs.

Music is goddamn life and I'll never stop listening.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Play posted:

That might seem logical but I have never noticed that in practice. If anything if I stop listening to music for too long my desire for it wanes

That's actually text book addiction stuff lol

I am not saying music is an addiction.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I get anxious not only when I'm not listening to music, but when I am not listening to music I haven't heard before so I can autistically add it to a review-tracking website. I feel like I am wasting time listening to music I have heard before and enjoy, at least while I am at work.
If I'm at home, working out or driving I'll jam poo poo I like and have heard before.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

There's also a huge difference between "moderate your consumption of positive stimuli if you think you're getting desensitized" and "avoid positive stimuli at all times because any experience of pleasure is 'addictive' and destructive," even before you get into poo poo like "frame?" It makes me wonder if there's a Red-Pill-approved list of positive stimuli that are acceptably masculine to enjoy. Sex, as long as you don't think your partner is enjoying it too much? Deadlifts? Grunting?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm not sure whether it's mundane dear abbys today or I'm in a mood but I can't form an opinion about these super critical important OPs.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Antivehicular posted:

There's also a huge difference between "moderate your consumption of positive stimuli if you think you're getting desensitized" and "avoid positive stimuli at all times because any experience of pleasure is 'addictive' and destructive," even before you get into poo poo like "frame?" It makes me wonder if there's a Red-Pill-approved list of positive stimuli that are acceptably masculine to enjoy. Sex, as long as you don't think your partner is enjoying it too much? Deadlifts? Grunting?

violence, presumably.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Elsa posted:

I'm not sure whether it's mundane dear abbys today or I'm in a mood but I can't form an opinion about these super critical important OPs.

Go reread Forgot the Baby at Wal-Mart Guy, then. It contains multitudes. (In my previous readings, I had somehow missed that this dude left one of his passive-aggressive "please love me again!!" notes on his step-son's grave.)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MF_James posted:

That's actually text book addiction stuff lol

I am not saying music is an addiction.

Not really, I know addiction pretty drat well, and it doesn't take a genius to realize that when someone stops using/doing something they are addicted to, they feel desire to have it again, sometimes desperately.

What I'm saying is that I don't feel this desire. I get what you're saying, but what I meant is that I go through phases of being more and less interested in music; the more music you listen to the better you understand it and the more interesting it is.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

I think the addiction that PUAs and MRAs need to give up the most is their addiction to breathing. The withdrawals set in after less than a minute but if they can stick it out the world will be a much better place

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Antivehicular posted:

Go reread Forgot the Baby at Wal-Mart Guy, then. It contains multitudes. (In my previous readings, I had somehow missed that this dude left one of his passive-aggressive "please love me again!!" notes on his step-son's grave.)

Actually yes I care. I think the husband should write an anonymous e/n to people on the internet about his wife's secret e/n to people on the internet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MF_James posted:

Gonna cause an even larger rift with the roommate, which may, or may not, be desirable.

gently caress his roommate (not literally, that wouldn't solve anything)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Shouldn't you be able to say, "hey honey you put yourself inside all the time and we sleep next to each other. totally vulnerable and unconscious. If you were a stranger who I happened to see all the time I might not say this but I kind of worry about your sister? Do you?"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Play posted:

gently caress his roommate (not literally, that wouldn't solve anything)

If he hosed his roommate, the guy might experience a sexual awakening and dump cake-swallower girl.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Elsa posted:

Shouldn't you be able to say, "hey honey you put yourself inside all the time and we sleep next to each other. totally vulnerable and unconscious. If you were a stranger who I happened to see all the time I might not say this but I kind of worry about your sister? Do you?"

She's been doing things like offering the sister tutoring, which isn't getting any traction, and it seems like the entire family is just kind of... accepting whatever's going on? (Like I said, this kid is being poorly served.) Obviously she should be talking about this with her husband, but I feel like we've seen plenty of stories here where getting more direct about concerns about your partner's family has resulted in massive backlash from the family and even the partner, so I can understand how she'd be tentative.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

I have a legit spergy friend who does not like music because he feels that it is hostile because it tries to manipulate him, tries to make him feel a certain way. He's not technically wrong.

Does he feel the same way about books, TV, movies, art and poetry? Because all of those things are designed to manipulate your feelings.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Antivehicular posted:

She's been doing things like offering the sister tutoring, which isn't getting any traction, and it seems like the entire family is just kind of... accepting whatever's going on? (Like I said, this kid is being poorly served.) Obviously she should be talking about this with her husband, but I feel like we've seen plenty of stories here where getting more direct about concerns about your partner's family has resulted in massive backlash from the family and even the partner, so I can understand how she'd be tentative.

And you know, I would have concerns about whether she would just decide to be even more secretive next time. I'd start working on opening up about things and maybe in a few years they would have the kind of trust where she could be honest with him. That judgemental reaction instead of compassion or empathy is another issue. He comes from wealth but apparently that doesn't et you a partner who is real.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Some people have a basic ingrained need to keep secrets from people. loving sever

put her out while she still has some decent mileage left on the tires so you don't have to feel bad. Also alimony.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Nessa posted:

Does he feel the same way about books, TV, movies, art and poetry? Because all of those things are designed to manipulate your feelings.

No, and not always with the music. I think it's just when it especially clashes with his current mood.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

Got a sister of a friend who breastfeeds her 3 year old still. Her 3 year old is also unvaccinated, has never eaten cooked food that family members didnt smuggle her, and has never slept through the night.

I could fill a thread with her bad decisions but basically dont take life advice from people who breastfeed things that can talk.

My ex wife.txt. Minus the whole cooked food thing, she tried to do no sugar foods etc for awhile but realized that was hard.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cumslut1895 posted:

there's probably something in not constantly blasting your ears with music. you'd probably enjoy it a lot more when you did listen to it.

not really

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Someone pls link the berth ell pup post, I missed it and feel left out

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Elsa posted:

I want to hear a rap that includes all of those British words.

bloke
bollocks
naff
headmaster
me mum
todger
cheesed off
stop messing about
mum won't help me run the streets

Head Master as the title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHQRY17Tk8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkC45z4UXVc

not all of those words, but closest to what you want.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Thanks! Is MC Pickman his rapper name or is he named McPitman

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Antivehicular posted:

Can you potentially give a clue what page it's on. Thread is 770 pages and I haven't been tuned in the whole time.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Elsa posted:

Thanks! Is MC Pickman his rapper name or is he named McPitman

MC Pitman

he is a Pitman because he works down the pit (coal mine)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

JFairfax posted:

MC Pitman

he is a Pitman because he works down the pit (coal mine)

haaaa. I was hoping it was something like MC Gregor or such

I might rearrange that kid's post into something. That story is too good. Almost reads like it has a rhythm already.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

olylifter posted:

Can you potentially give a clue what page it's on. Thread is 770 pages and I haven't been tuned in the whole time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS reposted the link a couple of pages ago. Here you go:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792330&pagenumber=368&perpage=40#post468129668

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Am I just extra hosed up, because I met someone last year who had two DUIs with his kids and girlfriend in the car in the few months I saw him occasionally. There was one day he showed up with an insulated mug and dropped it and the contents fizzed. He's the one with the kids because his ex is worse.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

M42 posted:

Someone pls link the berth ell pup post, I missed it and feel left out

Part I

Part II

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I don't know the full extent of "hotwife" but I know I've never seen it mean what it implies.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Elsa posted:

I don't know the full extent of "hotwife" but I know I've never seen it mean what it implies.

lol

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Elsa posted:

I think/guess the idea of "hotwife" is that the dude is getting off on the idea of "ohhh, my wife is so hot, she's a sexual force of nature no man can resist, and I can no more tame her than I could tame the wind" instead of "ohhh, I'm such a miserable worm-man that I can't keep my wife from cheating on me constantly, my life is a humiliating agony" or whatever? You're right that it doesn't seem to correlate to actual wife hotness.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Antivehicular posted:

I think/guess the idea of "hotwife" is that the dude is getting off on the idea of "ohhh, my wife is so hot, she's a sexual force of nature no man can resist, and I can no more tame her than I could tame the wind" instead of "ohhh, I'm such a miserable worm-man that I can't keep my wife from cheating on me constantly, my life is a humiliating agony" or whatever? You're right that it doesn't seem to correlate to actual wife hotness.
I always imagined it was more like hot potato. You just kinda pass her around but the husband always loses because he ends up with her.

Or like hot swapping on computers. One dick out, another in.

Note, I have no idea what it actually means.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Khorne posted:

I always imagined it was more like hot potato. You just kinda pass her around but the husband always loses because he ends up with her.

Or like hot swapping on computers. One dick out, another in.

Note, I have no idea what it actually means.

Well, hell, I'm just guessin' myself. My only shameful fetish is not being choked

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
The story changes when you imagine a healthy blond woman who obviously eats vegetables and has health insurance. Nonchalantly typing about how she keeps a black boyfriend because I guess it makes my husband happy, so whatevs.

But no, that's a shebeast and the whole thing is a shitshow and welcome to this season of gently caress Dynasty. Because they put their womanhood front and center and lean on that for all the credibility in their story. You don't hear about the XXL garter and this is her decision to maybe give in to the third husband in a row who asked for it and see where things go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Well I for one do NOT want my wife to gently caress someone other than me