Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Oh god, I went back and looked at my training logs from when I first started lifting in my teens and I had no idea what I was doing. I'm not even worried about the weights, just the plans make no sense for a beginner, there's no kind of coherency to the rep/sets, and there's so many accessories. "Wasted youth"

quote:

Seated Shoulder Press (Dumbbell) - 70.0 lbs 16, 13, 9, 10
Dumbbell Front Raise - 30.0 lbs 7, 7, 7
Dumbbell Lat Raise - 30.0 lbs 7, 7, 7
Dumbbell Rear Delt - 70.0 lbs 7, 7, 7
Dips (Bench) - 29, 21, 20, 19
Dumbbell Lying Triceps Extension - 50.0 lbs 10, 9, 8, 6

quote:

Incline Dumbbell Press - 95.0lbs 15, 13, 10, 12 (more)
Dumbbell Press - 95.0 lbs 13, 9, 11 (more)
Dumbbell Fly - 70.0 lbs 15, 12, 12
Push-up - 12
Ab Crunch - 15, 15, 15, 15
Double Crunch - 15, 15, 15
Oblique Twist (Supine) - R: 15, 15 L: 15, 15

quote:

Dumbbell Curl - 60.0 lbs 15, 12, 8 (more)
Seated Hammer Curl (Alternating) - 30.0 lbs 12, 12, 12 (more)
Concentration Curl - 15.0 lbs R: 8, 10, 12 L: 8, 10, 12 (more)
Dumbbell Bent Over Row (Single Arm) - 60.0 lbs R: 10, 8, 6 (more) L: 10, 8, 6 (more)
Dumbbell 45 degree Bent Over Row (Single Arm) - 55.0 lbs R: 12, 10 L: 12, 10
Edit - There's not even a leg day. I went ahead a few months and found "Dumbbell Deadlift" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

60 pound dumbell curls. :drat:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
It's a safe bet I was swinging them with awful form if not just recording it incorrectly (the other curls are 15-30lbs in the same rep range). Oh well, gotta start somewhere.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Just a quick noob question: as a skinny dude that wants to gain muscle, is it recommended to go to failure and/or incorporate time under tension?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Otakufag posted:

Just a quick noob question: as a skinny dude that wants to gain muscle, is it recommended to go to failure and/or incorporate time under tension?

For what lift(s)? IMO don't go to failure for riskier compound lifts without a good spotter or until you have a good sense of proprioception. You're a lot more likely to have your form break down and build bad habits.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Schlepping iron right now my dudes.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Progress is going well regarding enveloping myself in an encasing of lat muscles. I shall become a dense ball of back muscles that I can recess into when frightened.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Starting lifting about 6 months ago and bulking. Started at 160lbs and now at 192lbs. Got a "Body Pod" assessment today and found out I'm loving 20% body fat (a fat gently caress, even at 6'3"). So I apparently put on 22lbs of fat and 10lbs of muscle. I have no idea if this is a decent gain, but it makes me feel like poo poo...anyone have insight?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

Starting lifting about 6 months ago and bulking. Started at 160lbs and now at 192lbs. Got a "Body Pod" assessment today and found out I'm loving 20% body fat (a fat gently caress, even at 6'3"). So I apparently put on 22lbs of fat and 10lbs of muscle. I have no idea if this is a decent gain, but it makes me feel like poo poo...anyone have insight?
You gained weight too fast, but yeah 10lbs of muscle in 6 months is a decent gain. You can expect up to about 2lbs/month as a beginner but often less.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

Jesus how many calories did you eat a day

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

jarbv posted:

Jesus how many calories did you eat a day

About +600 more than maintenance

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
My 7th grade history teacher who also happened to be a coach sat all the girls in the front row and would regularly curl 50lbs dumb bells in class. That was pretty creepy.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jesus Christ posted:

My 7th grade history teacher who also happened to be a coach sat all the girls in the front row and would regularly curl 50lbs dumb bells in class. That was pretty creepy.
Did he make dad jokes about free tickets to the gun show?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Who wants to lift my dick with their tongue

For about 200 reps

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Dum Cumpster posted:

No internet :\

then how do you explain how you turned out?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Defiant Sally posted:

then how do you explain how you turned out?

Inferior genetics. Predisposed to failure.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
having bad genes is just playing the game on hardmode BRO

work even harder and do steroids and you'll get to the final level and beat the boss

The boss in this case being yourself, but the old fat self

etc

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Finishing off a six week cut and today was the first day I failed cardio. Weights went absolutely fine, jumped on the elliptical afterwards and after five minutes my body just went 'lol nope'. Can't quite explain it, just this overwhelming feeling of exhaustion out of nowhere. Oh well, I'll just go for a longer walk tonight. Looking forward to finishing this cut and getting back to salami-fuelled gains. :shobon:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Pesmerga posted:

Finishing off a six week cut and today was the first day I failed cardio. Weights went absolutely fine, jumped on the elliptical afterwards and after five minutes my body just went 'lol nope'. Can't quite explain it, just this overwhelming feeling of exhaustion out of nowhere. Oh well, I'll just go for a longer walk tonight. Looking forward to finishing this cut and getting back to salami-fuelled gains. :shobon:

With insufficient salami intake the body and mind becomes weak

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

With insufficient salami intake the body and mind becomes weak

drat right. I'm weak in mind body and soul right now. :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pesmerga posted:

The lesson is that cardio is bad and you shouldn't do it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm finishing out the week on my RP base diet, cut starts on Monday. Also hoping getting a cold Wednesday will burn some extra calories. If not, next step is intentionally getting cancer.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Played video games as a child, work at a desk and computer every day. I have pain in between my index finger and thumb. If the bar puts pressure in that area it hurts. Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkk push movements are my weakest lifts by far. Also, I've got baby wrists that make my forearms looked jacked.

naem
May 29, 2011

I have delicate wee little bird wrists like a magic fairy elf

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

naem posted:

:same:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

naem posted:

That's how I feel about my 7" wrists. :(

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
girls care super much about your wrist size and all of you need to immediately kill yourselves out of shame

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

girls care super much about your wrist size and all of you need to immediately kill yourselves out of shame

But, can't I wear gloves to hide my pitiful wrists? I want to live. :(

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
can someone tell me why the right side of my lower back has felt hosed up for 3 years and sometimes i get shooting pains in my right hip when i squat or it hurts to get up from a bending over position

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
When my poo poo back there gets tight it clamps down on my sciatic nerve and does that sort of, hasn't really been an issue in a while. Do you stretch and poo poo? Look up a couple of piriformis and hip/glute stretches and see if you can find one that relieves it. If I do a bit of stretching and it basically immediately makes an issue go away, I always just assume something was too tight. I'm not a doctor though, just a goon. And not even a very good goon.

E: I like to do this one at work when my lower back and SI area feels tight because it's easy to just do without getting in weird positions, it immediately makes it feel better, but your issue might be different https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME&t=1s

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Mar 11, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cobra Commander posted:

Played video games as a child, work at a desk and computer every day. I have pain in between my index finger and thumb. If the bar puts pressure in that area it hurts. Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkk push movements are my weakest lifts by far. Also, I've got baby wrists that make my forearms looked jacked.

Suicide grip help at all?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

can someone tell me why the right side of my lower back has felt hosed up for 3 years and sometimes i get shooting pains in my right hip when i squat or it hurts to get up from a bending over position

maybe you squat wrong, thus loving your back, up

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Going skiing next week and I'm still gonna be pumpin' iron in the hotel gym boys. Also gonna be pumpin' ladies and rich, greasy food into my mouth.

Maybe I'll hit a deadlift PR when I get back since I'll be fat

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope you don't injure yourself severely in the slopes mate

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Thank you friend. I will be wearing a helmet

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This is me when i go skiing with my "friends"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

When my poo poo back there gets tight it clamps down on my sciatic nerve and does that sort of, hasn't really been an issue in a while. Do you stretch and poo poo? Look up a couple of piriformis and hip/glute stretches and see if you can find one that relieves it. If I do a bit of stretching and it basically immediately makes an issue go away, I always just assume something was too tight. I'm not a doctor though, just a goon. And not even a very good goon.

E: I like to do this one at work when my lower back and SI area feels tight because it's easy to just do without getting in weird positions, it immediately makes it feel better, but your issue might be different https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME&t=1s

I found a dude who stretches your neck and makes the whole back crack like knuckles and he puts a hot electric pillow on my lower back for 20 minutes and uses some machines that electrically stimulate back and foot muscles or nerves or something

Charges like 50 an hour but it has def improved my back to where I'm getting healthy erections and can tentatively deadlift low weight again

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cobra Commander posted:

Do wrist stretches help?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 11, 2017

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Nope, and suicide grip makes my wrists feel like death. After push days my right wrist is usually in pain for most of the remaining week.

I'm mindful of not having my wrists bend during bench press and dips. I notice less pain when I do incline bench than flat or even dips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Literally limp wristed dorks itt