Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wouldn't the real solution be to clean the loving tank and seal it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Facebook Aunt posted:

If your hot water is contaminated, then you wouldn't want it passing through the same faucet as the cold water you use for drinking. Otherwise your glass of cold water may be contaminated.
Look at this dork, doesn't drink hot water from the tap.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm so glad my current house has real adult plumbing and not a loving open tank in the attic. Last one of those I cleaned out there were many dead insects in it as well as chips of lead roof flashing, wire clippings, grit and a thin film of greasy insulating floating on top. Now I have mixer taps and even central heating.

The housing stock in this country is loving terrible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

If your hot water is contaminated, then you wouldn't want it passing through the same faucet as the cold water you use for drinking. Otherwise your glass of cold water may be contaminated.

Install an on‐demand heater, tell the dead rat tank to go gently caress itself.

#lifehack

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm so glad my current house has real adult plumbing and not a loving open tank in the attic. Last one of those I cleaned out there were many dead insects in it as well as chips of lead roof flashing, wire clippings, grit and a thin film of greasy insulating floating on top. Now I have mixer taps and even central heating.

The housing stock in this country is loving terrible.

:psyduck: Wait, the hot water tanks just have open tops? Like they're actually more "tubs" than "tanks"? Even beyond the debris and drowned wildlife, doesn't all the heat just escape out the top? Did it really take decades for someone to get the idea to throw an insulated lid on these things?

I had never thought my perfectly ordinary water heater (a big cylinder in the laundry room) would be a source of pride in America. But hey, these days I'll take what I can get.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Powered Descent posted:

:psyduck: Wait, the hot water tanks just have open tops? Like they're actually more "tubs" than "tanks"? Even beyond the debris and drowned wildlife, doesn't all the heat just escape out the top? Did it really take decades for someone to get the idea to throw an insulated lid on these things?

I had never thought my perfectly ordinary water heater (a big cylinder in the laundry room) would be a source of pride in America. But hey, these days I'll take what I can get.

Actually 'ordinary water heaters' have a ton of safety features in them to prevent pressure build up which would otherwise cause them to explode. I mean, the drat thing's a cylinder with hot water in it, if it doesn't have the ability to prevent a steam blockage they'd be exploding left and right when someone runs them too hot.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

real adult plumbing

I wish I couldn't appreciate this term.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Yawgmoth posted:

Look at this dork, doesn't drink hot water from the tap.

good for healthy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

Don’t look up Elisa Lam.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Powered Descent posted:

No the hot water tank is a closed insulated copper tank but it's fed by an open header tank in the attic, which itself is fed by the mains water supply.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Wait what? You use indoor cisterns?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Wait what? You use indoor cisterns?

You have to keep them indoors. The enemy keeps lobbing diseased horse corpses in them with trebuchets otherwise.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I keep forgetting about the sieges.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

InediblePenguin posted:

you can buy a pool noodle for a dollar at Dollar Tree, they're not loving high-priced esoteric articles that must be quested for and then protected for their inherent worth

Yeah, the pool-noodle-in-boot thing isn't an awful idea. They're cheap and using them like that helps maintain the shape of the boot, as well as air them out. Both will extend the boots life. They sell specialized boot braces or whatever, but they're like $20+ or more.

Then again, I'm an rear end in a top hat who keeps pool noodles in my car to use as pads for my roof rack, instead of buying a proper mounting devices. :v:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

No the hot water tank is a closed insulated copper tank but it's fed by an open header tank in the attic, which itself is fed by the mains water supply.

Is the intermediate open tank for pressure relief, or is it just kind of... there?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Is the intermediate open tank for pressure relief, or is it just kind of... there?

It’s an emergency supply in case the Luftwaffe bombs the mains.

Not really.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, the pool-noodle-in-boot thing isn't an awful idea. They're cheap and using them like that helps maintain the shape of the boot, as well as air them out. Both will extend the boots life. They sell specialized boot braces or whatever, but they're like $20+ or more.

Then again, I'm an rear end in a top hat who keeps pool noodles in my car to use as pads for my roof rack, instead of buying a proper mounting devices. :v:

I use pool noodles to keep my wet boots, thigh waders, and safety boots free of mildew and gulf coast murder spiders. I wholeheartedly endorse this use of polystyrene and You should Too!

But what the gently caress are you guys talking about with hot water tanks? I know open tanks are a thing but fuuuuuck having dead entities and lead. That's bananas. Is there not a pool noodle equivalent safety net? WHERE IS ENRIQUE!?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

"mains"

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

put eggs in your hot water tank

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fizzymercy posted:

I use pool noodles to keep my wet boots, thigh waders, and safety boots free of mildew and gulf coast murder spiders. I wholeheartedly endorse this use of polystyrene and You should Too!

But what the gently caress are you guys talking about with hot water tanks? I know open tanks are a thing but fuuuuuck having dead entities and lead. That's bananas. Is there not a pool noodle equivalent safety net? WHERE IS ENRIQUE!?

Enrique drowned in the water tank. :smith:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

flosofl posted:

You have to keep them indoors. The enemy keeps lobbing diseased horse corpses in them with trebuchets otherwise.

A horse corpse surely weighs much more than 90kg... that trebuchet must be closer than 300m.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

A horse corpse surely weighs much more than 90kg... that trebuchet must be closer than 300m.

You've never used a close combat trebuchet before? What a dull life you must lead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

real adult plumbing

:confused:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I guess I still don't understand how your hot water is just open to the outside to the extent that mice dying in it is a common occurrence. If there's another tank, put a lid on THAT tank. :shrug:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Put gutter meshing over the top of it? :shrug:

Wouldn't stop everything but at least would stop a whole dead animal from getting in it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
An aunt of mine wondered for a few weeks why her water smelled kinda funny. She eventually thought to check her water tank, found a bunch of possums had fallen in and drowned. That's how she learned to put a cover on the tank.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bogan King posted:

You've never used a close wombat trebuchet before? What a dull life you must lead.

Reading comprehension.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I once thought that the stupid dumb water tank thing was a result of a lot of housing in this country being pretty old. Then I remembered that my parents house has a water tank and that was built in 1986 so the answer is just that in Britain we like mouse water.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lonely? gently caress your hot water pipes

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Am I understanding this right? It goes like this?

Incoming water -> open topped tank that serves no purpose -> water heater -> hot water tap

Why not just throw the tank away and not have it? Or put a piece of plywood across the top or something?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
But then it wouldn't be horrifically inconvenient! And that's just not the British way.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Incoming water -> open topped tank that serves no purpose -> water heater -> hot water tap

Why not just throw the tank away and not have it? Or put a piece of plywood across the top or something?

If you did that, how would you get the rats in there? :confused:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

I once thought that the stupid dumb water tank thing was a result of a lot of housing in this country being pretty old. Then I remembered that my parents house has a water tank and that was built in 1986 so the answer is just that in Britain we like mouse water.
Lifehack: ran out of tea?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
English Construction: Ring Mains and Mouse Water

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

On the plus side having the tank in the attic makes for better water pressure in your downstairs shower, because gravity.

Dad still installed a power shower though, because he hated having skin or something.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Fil5000 posted:

I used to live in an 1890 something farmhouse with retro fitted plumbing and it had a proper sealed water heater. The entire idea of having an open water system is bizarre to me.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

One thing I can add to this is that even though I'm from the US, have never seen one of these rat tank things, and have never had to use a non-mixer tap, I was still taught as a child to never, ever drink the hot water. No idea why.

It's really ingrained in me so if I'm getting some water to make tea or cook something I run the cold water run for a few seconds to make sure no residual hot water sneaks in.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

One thing I can add to this is that even though I'm from the US, have never seen one of these rat tank things, and have never had to use a non-mixer tap, I was still taught as a child to never, ever drink the hot water. No idea why.

It's really ingrained in me so if I'm getting some water to make tea or cook something I run the cold water run for a few seconds to make sure no residual hot water sneaks in.

I think that's because of lead in earlier pipes and fittings.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

LogisticEarth posted:

It probably doesn't help that any ~proper~ mounting device will likely be plastered with a logo that lets everyone know what a serious off roader and/or outdoorsman and/or hipster you are and will cost $texas. I'm ok with the pool noodle shenanigans, here. They're a large tubular leisure version of packing peanuts. Just don't hold your tie downs together with bread tags and you're doing fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Agreed. It should be covered, anyway.

Is the topmost tank larger in capacity than the heating tank? If so, I'd imagine that the uppermost tank serves your cold water lines also, and folks tend to used cold more than hot, so it needs a larger capacity. My grandmother lived in a house built in 1895, and it contained a tank in the attic also, but it was used for what I learned was "cistern water". Literally water captured off the roof gutters, pumped to the attic and fed through a third spigot in just the bathroom sinks. Left = hot, Center = cistern, Right = cold. Apparently the local potable water supply had always been super hard, and the ladies of the time would use the cistern water for washing, since, being rainwater, it was soft and the soap liked it better. As a little kid, I was always fascinated by the cistern's pump -- a double acting piston pump with a big flywheel. When the house sold years later, and the cistern was removed, I was able to salvage the pump. Rebuilt it, repainted it, and still have it today. It works great. I think it dates to 1915 or something.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

On the plus side having the tank in the attic makes for better water pressure in your downstairs shower, because gravity.

This. The town we live in built a reservoir at the top of the highest point in the city limits in 1900. It wasn't a water tower, but a buried sandstone tank that was fed by the well field down by the river. The system was gravity fed. We live just two houses downhill from this thing, and while it was gravity fed, I could turn on the water in the upstairs bathtub full blast, and then easily stop it with my thumb. I once attached a 6 foot clear plastic tube to the spigot, turned on the water, and held it up in the air above the tub, and watched the water actually only attain a point about 2 feet above the tub, and then stop.

The gravity system has since been converted to a pressure main, and now showers will literally blow you into the back of the shower stall.