Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mipha is such a boring loser. I can't see anything to like about her other than her gift, which is very useful. Other than that, she is the support healer cliche played completely straight with nothing interesting going for her.

Between her and Zelda, Link has awful taste in women this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

Mipha is such a boring loser. I can't see anything to like about her other than her gift, which is very useful. Other than that, she is the support healer cliche played completely straight with nothing interesting going for her.

Between her and Zelda, Link has awful taste in women this game.

Zelda is great in this game though?

Easily a top tier Zelda with Skyward Sword and Ghost Zelda from Spirit Tracks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PantsBandit posted:

My assumption was that it was somehow very clear that link and zelda were THE link and zelda from an early age and link was basically being preened to be the hero by training with the various races. Also explains why zelda was so bitter that link took to the whole destiny stuff so much easier than she did.

That's pretty much the crux of Zelda's story. Instead of just being a spiritual priestess of a princess like her prior incarnations, she's a clever and well--read scholar studying everything she can. The problem being when she gets forced into playing Princess Zelda against her will she can sit at the shrines, praying all she can and knowing something should happen but she doesn't have that absolute divine belief necessary to call upon Hylia.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Koroks are my favorite forever :3: Everything about the Korok Village is maximum adorable.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
For anyone struggling to keep enough arrows: Do the Terry Town quests in Akkala. Once You get the Rito shopowner he stocks 5 x10 arrow bundles of each type of arrow but one

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's pretty much the crux of Zelda's story. Instead of just being a spiritual priestess of a princess like her prior incarnations, she's a clever and well--read scholar studying everything she can. The problem being when she gets forced into playing Princess Zelda against her will she can sit at the shrines, praying all she can and knowing something should happen but she doesn't have that absolute divine belief necessary to call upon Hylia.

Yeah, Zelda's deal is that she is super jealous of Link basically fitting into the role of brave relentless hero he is meant to be so comfortably while she is having a bitch of a time trying to be the princess the legend demands she be

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh yeah the memories are pretty clear on that. I was more just trying to explain why link may have had experience with the Zora as a child.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I have two side quests left. One is the 55 Rushrooms one which ain't a big deal, I would have already done it had I not just discovered it today and I already have 30 so

But the other one is the "take a picture of the magic glowing blue rabbit" quest which ffffffff-

I have no idea if they have set spawn points or times because it just seems entirely random to me and they always run out of sight as soon as I catch even a glimpse of one. The only place I know for sure they spawn is alongside the king of the mountain or whatever horse ghost at the top of Satori Mtn, but I've never seen that. I've never even seen the light that indicates it's up there. Any advice?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok, so I have two side quests left. One is the 55 Rushrooms one which ain't a big deal, I would have already done it had I not just discovered it today and I already have 30 so

But the other one is the "take a picture of the magic glowing blue rabbit" quest which ffffffff-

I have no idea if they have set spawn points or times because it just seems entirely random to me and they always run out of sight as soon as I catch even a glimpse of one. The only place I know for sure they spawn is alongside the king of the mountain or whatever horse ghost at the top of Satori Mtn, but I've never seen that. I've never even seen the light that indicates it's up there. Any advice?

You know the great fairy outside Kakariko?

2 literally always spawn there.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Escobarbarian posted:

+1 on Kakariko. Put on your stealth tights.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As in around the forest there? Great to know, thanks!!!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zore posted:

Zelda is great in this game though?

Easily a top tier Zelda with Skyward Sword and Ghost Zelda from Spirit Tracks.

I was sold on Zeldas voice acting by the first memory I hit, in front of hyrule castle.

(Her just feeling like) she's going through the motions, wishing there was more to it. Might've helped her face wasn't very visible so lip syncing was easier.

I feel like that's Miphas curse, trying to perfectly match the lips.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
does anyone know what the 'granter of boons' loading tip is about? says there's a merchant who deals in stamina and heart containers or something

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

strap on revenge posted:

does anyone know what the 'granter of boons' loading tip is about? says there's a merchant who deals in stamina and heart containers or something

Yeah there's a hidden respec character.

Talk to the kids in Hateno

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

strap on revenge posted:

it's the respec demon in the statue near Hateno

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's so scary about the flowers? I stepped on them accidentally and nothing happened.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

Koroks are my favorite forever :3: Everything about the Korok Village is maximum adorable.

They're so fricking cute. "Mr Hero!! You're even cooler than I thought you'd be"

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Horses don't give meat. This is bullshit!!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

What's so scary about the flowers? I stepped on them accidentally and nothing happened.

I didn't find this either but I just saw it on Vinny's playthrough:
If you keep stepping on them enough times she goes crazy and presumably beats the poo poo out of you. It's all cutscene and you "wake up" with like half a heart. :aaa:

e: speaking of the playthrough, I'm really enjoying it so far. He's playing like I would, just exploring and basically having fun. He learned pretty quickly how to climb around and use the environment, and he immediately turned off the Sheikah Sensor which I'm grateful for. :3:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 11, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I feel like Chuchus aren't really enemies. They are just big dumbos who don't know what they are doing. I've stopped actively fighting them. Since then, I've notice that they seem to have no malice towards me at all. The bokoblins and lizalfos and what have you get mad as soon as they see me and come attack. Even the keese get pissed off and come to attack me. The Chuchus seem to just be excited that someone is around and they come bouncing towards me. I let one of the normal blue guys hit me and he doesn't even attack. He just sort of jumps in my direction and it just happens to hurt. They just want some friends.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pollyanna posted:

Push your luck a few times and see where it gets you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know why everyone freaks out about these major tests of courage. Once you figure out how to cheese it, it's just a matter of having enough weapons.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bahahaha, okay, that's pretty good.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know why everyone freaks out about these major tests of courage. Once you figure out how to cheese it, it's just a matter of having enough weapons.

What's the cheese? I've been putting those off.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing its mostly from people wandering into them with 4 hearts and Plateau weapons.

Like I did my first time :negative: 3 hours bashing my head against it until I managed to eek out a win.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried to use the Wooden Mop to clean up Ganon Goop™ yet? That would be a neat way to beat some puzzles :v:

Pollyanna posted:

I don't know any specific cheese other than Stasis+ but they're the same enemy every time so once you learn their patterns they become incredibly easy.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Remember guardian weapons are strong against guardians

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Bahahaha, okay, that's pretty good.

It's the same fight every time. The minor/modest/major just changes the HP. They each have three stages they go through, you just have to figure out what to do for each stage and it's pretty easy. It's best to do several in a row as each one drops a few guardian weapons and guardian weapons work well against guardians.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love the little design decisions in BotW.

"We want to have physics puzzles involving chests, like using Magnesis on them. But then how will Link open them?"
"Eh, just make it possible to open them from any angle :shrug:"

"We want to have puzzles where you need to precisely place bombs, but it's finicky since they can roll away"
"Just add some square bombs, np"

I mean, I'm sure there are people complaining about this stuff ("but you have never been able to open chests other than from the front, this ruins my immersion :qq:") but I think these little things say a lot about the design of BotW. They were very focused on making things possible instead of focusing on convention :3:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

I'm guessing its mostly from people wandering into them with 4 hearts and Plateau weapons.

Like I did my first time :negative: 3 hours bashing my head against it until I managed to eek out a win.

Same, I hit the one in front of Eventide Island and was like "how in the gently caress am I supposed to deal with this"

Pollyanna posted:

Things that make it very easy:

- High damage weapons
- +ATK food
- Learning to trigger flurries with dodge
- Run them into walls and pillars to cancel their spin attack and get some free hits
- Fly over them when they do the spinny laser thing and drop attack them
- Hit them in the eye with an arrow when they're starting their desperation attack to stun them for a bit, same as the big guardians

Things that cheese it entirely:

Stasis+

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Found an easy spot to farm Farosh from if anyone wants Horn and Fang fragments; Go sit atop the Gerudo Summit, he'll fly right through the valley there most nights after midnight and give you a nice easy shot at whatever you want off of him. Just be aware that if you take your shot too far on the east side, your prize might fly off into the valley below behind him. to the East.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 11, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish they had kept the bomb rolling from Skyward Sword. Would give you a reason to use circle bombs outside of the few puzzles that require them.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Same, I hit the one in front of Eventide Island and was like "how in the gently caress am I supposed to deal with this"

See I flew down to that shrine after doing the Moderate Strength test nearby. The moderate test took quite some effort with crappy gear, so when I saw "Major" I just turned around.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

See I flew down to that shrine after doing the Moderate Strength test nearby. The moderate test took quite some effort with crappy gear, so when I saw "Major" I just turned around.

That's exactly what I did too :haw:

I spent literally all my weapons and arrows on the Moderate one so I my first reaction to discovering the Major one was a very resolute "nope."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Found an easy spot to farm Farosh from if anyone wants Horn and Fang fragments; Go sit atop the Gerudo Summit, he'll fly right through the valley there most nights after midnight and give you a nice easy shot at whatever you want off of him. Just be aware that if you take your shot too far on the east side, your prize might fly off into the valley below behind him. to the East.

Better spot

Atop the Waterfall north of the Faron Stables, campfire for morning, he spawns right in the body of water at the top and heads down the river.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Internet Kraken posted:

Yup. "Well, this isn't happening. Oh! What's that island in the distance!"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So for prepping for these trials, I wanna build up +defense and +attack stuff. What's the best way to accomplish this? Should I use one of each type of ingredient (e.g. Ironshroom + Armoranth + Armored Porgy + Fortified Pumpkin), or should I use all of one type (e.g. Ironshroom x 5)? For some reason, I've got it into my head that the former is more effective and less wasteful, but the latter is easier to pull off.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Pollyanna posted:

So for prepping for these trials, I wanna build up +defense and +attack stuff. What's the best way to accomplish this? Should I use one of each type of ingredient (e.g. Ironshroom + Armoranth + Armored Porgy + Fortified Pumpkin), or should I use all of one type (e.g. Ironshroom x 5)? For some reason, I've got it into my head that the former is more effective and less wasteful, but the latter is easier to pull off.

this is 4 ironshrooms + prime meat
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6nIAKOVsAA9fjX.jpg:large

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Taking photos of wildlife in general would be so much easier if activating your camera didn't disable sneaking.

That and it being a bitch about if it counts as a clear shot or not. Okay I can take a photo of a keese bat a mile away, but being right on top of a dragonfly or bird doesn't count because gently caress you I guess.

Just telling people to save up for sneaky pants doesn't really change the fact switching to your camera disables sneaking. But at least using the plain old scope doesn't.

Your Computer posted:

I mean, I'm sure there are people complaining about this stuff ("but you have never been able to open chests other than from the front, this ruins my immersion :qq:") but I think these little things say a lot about the design of BotW. They were very focused on making things possible instead of focusing on convention :3:
I love it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Section Z posted:

Taking photos of wildlife in general would be so much easier if activating your camera didn't disable sneaking.

That and it being a bitch about if it counts as a clear shot or not. Okay I can take a photo of a keese bat a mile away, but being right on top of a dragonfly or bird doesn't count because gently caress you I guess.

Just telling people to save up for sneaky pants doesn't really change the fact switching to your camera disables sneaking. But at least using the plain old scope doesn't.

I love it.

You don't make noise if you're still, so sneak close then take the picture and don't move

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Count Bleck posted:

Better spot

Atop the Waterfall north of the Faron Stables, campfire for morning, he spawns right in the body of water at the top and heads down the river.

Got spots for the other ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Pollyanna posted:

Five pumpkins makes a healing defense+++ meal, and I'm pretty sure the mix would make a tough seafood skewer that might heal more but offer less of a defense boost.

That said, this doesn't apply across the board to all ingredients, because 5x silent princesses is crap.