Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I seem to recall that Law vs Chaos alignment was originally less about day-to-day behavior and more what side you would fight on when the Wind Dukes and the Queen of Chaos faced off and picked teams at the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

No Hoxhaist alignment? Pass.

https://twitter.com/Soviet_spaceman/status/839577765229785090

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also the Megaten games pulled the Law/Chaos alignment well I dunno why TRPGs can't do so.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Desiden posted:

I ran a one shot fantasy game once where I had the dwarves be obsessive lumberjacks instead of miners. The players thought that was cute, until they realized I was actually going whole hog with the historical lumberjack bits, and they stumbled into a bunk of dwarves screaming about the hogan boys and playing a game of 'hot rear end'. They got kind of quiet after that. I'm not sure why.

Great, now I have to find a way to run a game where the PCs infiltrate the secret Elven Star Chamber and find two ancient sages drunk on thistle-wine and playing Are You There, Moriarty?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

Also the Megaten games pulled the Law/Chaos alignment well I dunno why TRPGs can't do so.

Counterpoint: Nocturne and SMT4: Apocalypse ditched it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Really, a Megaten approach to alignment where Law and Chaos are both utter garbage but Neutral is just punting would be a nicely bleak game.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I've recently come around to the idea that alignment is a helpful tool, so long as it references a power centre or something else that's tangible.

"Orcs are lawful evil" (or whatever) isn't good because it opens things up to all the discussion above this post, but if Grumsch's WarBand has "Alignment: Grumsch," and Grumsch himself has "Alignment: Pillaging", it becomes a useful barometer for motivations.

Mind you, I wouldn't use the above notation for PCs.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My problem with stuff like that is that it's literally not any different than saying Grumsch has a crew and they like to pillage. It's just a totally unnecessary game term.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Alignment is more useful as a descriptor of what the character is currently doing, rather than a prescriptor of what the character should do

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Alignment would make more sense as a political baromenter.

Alignment: Authoritarian Right
Alignment: Libertarian Right
Alignment: Authoritarian Left
Alignment: Libertarian Left
Alignment: Center Right
Alignment: Center Left

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

My problem with stuff like that is that it's literally not any different than saying Grumsch has a crew and they like to pillage. It's just a totally unnecessary game term.

It's useful organizational shorthand; if you're making your own adventures, it's probably unnecessary, but if you're making something for others, it's a quick way for them to grasp what you're driving at.

Plus, I suppose that if you were to make use of a standard set of keywords, you could link it to other game systems fairly easily (e.g. This spell is triggered by X)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Replace the 9-point alignment system with this, it would be about as useful:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alignment is a mechanic for defining army factions in a wargame and the fact it somehow continues to persist in D&D nearly forty years later speaks to a deep intellectual rot within the hobby.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Asimo posted:

Alignment is a mechanic for defining army factions in a wargame and the fact it somehow continues to persist in D&D nearly forty years later speaks to a deep intellectual rot within the hobby.

Well to be fair it's also fairly important to one of the major fictional influences on D&D, and crops up in a couple of the other Appendix N works as well off the top of my head

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

So much for the tolerant Chaotic Good

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It's only unnecessary if you don't actually tie it into the game in any sense. If there are mechanical levers that can influence and be influenced by affiliations, allegiances, and (to shamelessly steal terminology from Exalted) intimacies then it might actually be useful to note that Grumsch's War-Band is explicitly aligned with Grumsch and not, for example, something more ideological that runs deeper than that.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Just had an idea for a notion of a stock fantasy world where you could make the fact elves / dwarves / whatever are different "races" actually a misconception rather than reality, though.

http://www.imdb.com/video/demo_reel/vi1985984281

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Serf posted:

Covok posted:

Alignment would make more sense as a political baromenter.

Alignment: Authoritarian Right
Alignment: Libertarian Right
Alignment: Authoritarian Left
Alignment: Libertarian Left
Alignment: Center Right
Alignment: Center Left

tfw the jerks who brag about having you on ignore steal your posts

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Serf posted:

what the gently caress is this bullshit

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

A political compass by, as far as I can tell, 4chan. Which means they hate social justice warriors and Jews, but also everyone else, so it's generally offensive and specifically anti-Semitic.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

some dumb bullshit i saw on facebook and imgur

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

LatwPIAT posted:

generally offensive and specifically anti-Semitic

4chan in a nutshell.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Serf posted:

Alignment: Jews

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Ah, a Central Banker

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm a fan of "Greedy but productive capitalists"

which actually maps pretty easily onto neutral evil

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Serf posted:

I'm a fan of "Greedy but productive capitalists"

which actually maps pretty easily onto neutral evil

Ah yes, neutral evil, the purest form.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I want to join a regular D&D game done online with roll20 or something like that but I don't know how to play D&D. I have played some Through the Breach (like, 2 sessions) and that's about it. Before I try to join a game and have everyone hate me for my ignorance of rules etc., is there a good primer online that I could read to understand the game a little more? (I am guessing 4e or 5e, whatever is closer to TTB?). I didn't know where to post this.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Other than Last Stand are there any other games that actually do human scale versus giant scale combat well?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Serf posted:

You posted the wrong image

Siivola posted:

They've also released similar supplements for Innistrad and Zendikar.

It's a bit curious how they've only started making D&D stuff only now. A couple of years back someone hypothesized that Wizards didn't want to cross the streams because D&D supplements might gently caress with the creative team on Magic's end, which sounded reasonable enough. Guess now that D&D team is like one writer and a juror, and the Magic creative is writing big fancy setting artbooks anyway, someone in the Magic team figured they could just brew something up in-house to sell more stuff to D&D nerds.

Part of the challenge with an intense effort to convert a Magic world to D&D rules would be having to pull setting lore masters and rules people to (what WotC and Hasbro both see as) little more than a glorified IP mine they've been squatting on. If they actually published a full campaign setting book for Ravnica or one of the other super popular settings, it'd sell very well... for a ttrpg book. Which is nothing compared to either another card block or even one of the tie-in novels. It would be good for D&D and nothing else, basically.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They haven't done Magic tie-in novels for years now (because they didn't sell, natch), but basically yes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

well if we're doing this

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alignment is more useful as a descriptor of what the character is currently doing, rather than a prescriptor of what the character should do

I haven't even found it useful for that much. The arguments surrounding what is good or evil or lawful or chaotic are a subjective crapshoot because at least in the latest D&D core there is no coherent underpinning or framework for why X is a particular alignment but Y isn't.

Case in point: necromancy. Core 5E describes it as intrinsically evil magic that only evil people use regularly. Why though? What about animating a corpse into a non-sentient weapon/source of labor in a setting where that person's soul/selfhood is objectively out of the picture upon dying is evil, especially when you hold it up against spells that let you force someone to do anything short of directly physically harming themselves against their will? At best it belies, I think, some really sloppy thinking from the designers about good/evil. If you're going to make it such an important concept it should have more thought than that.

Necromancy has kind of been my bugaboo lately and the more I play 5th edition the more it annoys me because of the absolutely reprehensible poo poo I can technically pull with various Enchantment spells while never straying from Chaotic Good, but god forbid I make one zombie out of something that's already dead to carry my poo poo for me.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Necromancy is evil in most DnD settings cause even non sentient undead are animated by the force of entropy and anti-life, and are inherently malicious.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Entropy is literally a synonym for chaos, not evil.

"Inherently malicious" is also a weird thing to say about a dude that will just stand around twiddling his fingers until I tell him to do something and which also applies to, say, wild cats. (Really I'd argue that mindless undead intrinsically lack the capacity for malice, being, you know, mindless. But hey.)

Reene fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 11, 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's because modern D&D presumes undead are animated by negative energy, which is bad. I guess maybe because giving something life through the essential force of destruction is wrong on some level? I don't get why it'd work at all though. Positive energy is the energy of restoring life and healing, so you'd think it'd be way easier to animate corpses with it. Eberron even had the deathless creature type for the Undying Court, which were basically undead fueled by positive energy.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I think if you're looking for ethical nuance, baseline D&D just isn't where you're doing to find it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

well if we're doing this

:golfclap:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think if you're looking for ethical nuance, baseline D&D just isn't where you're doing to find it.

I mean yeah all arguments inevitably circle back around to D&D Is Bad

It's just another highlight of how bad the drat alignment system is for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Necromancy and undead are innately evil in 5th edition because they were in 3.5, the only edition of D&D that the designers of 5th edition ever played. Necromancy and unintelligent undead were neutral in all other editions of D&D. Even 3.0 had them as neutral.

• Locked thread