Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

orange juche posted:

Hey two finger, test this and tell me how accurate it is? Living north of the equator, we do not have Tim Tams in the US, so I can't really do this.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/michellerennex/dont-come-4-me-pls

E: an actual current event, apparently Tim Tams are a thing in the US now as of February 1 this year. I'll have to find them on a store shelf somewhere.

Publix has them. We used to trade some of our snacks for Tim tams the aussies stockpiled during my last afghan deployment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Publix has them. We used to trade some of our snacks for Tim tams the aussies stockpiled during my last afghan deployment

did you suck a cup of tea through one

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

so in 2015 i got sent to like month long rehab for just being a huge drunk, I'm sure you all remember me drunk posting a LOT. 2016 and 2017 I worked on not drinking a lot and even had months of time booze free.

Since loving january 20 all that poo poo has gone out the window gently caress all this poo poo

Don't let dumbfuck donnie win by falling off the wagon. I've heard multiple alcoholics already say something to the effect of 'I'm a loving alcoholic and I am NOT relapsing for that dumb orange bastard'. So that's my HCT comment.

And Jake Tapper is a good dude:
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/840441656642031617

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah bro we all love you HCT

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah HCT. Don't end up like me. My drinking and shitposting have skyrocketed in the last few months.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah i'm just glad that no matter what i haven't touched a drink

life still is poo poo sometimes but it's better than waking up with all that guilt and shame

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Two Finger posted:

did you suck a cup of tea through one

How do you do a tim tam slam without burning the poo poo out of your mouth? Like it seems like an interesting idea but I'd think hot beverages are a bit much.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
U.S. court voids 3 Texas congressional districts

quote:

A federal court panel late Friday invalidated three Republican-drawn congressional districts in Texas, including one in Travis County, for violating the U.S. Voting Rights Act.

However, in voiding the districts, drawn by the Texas Legislature in 2011, the panel did not mandate or discuss any remedies to correct the problems.

But the ruling has the potential to create more districts with larger populations of Latino voters, “and probably more Democratic districts, which would be good for Democrats in Texas, and also nationally,” said Michael Li, redistricting counsel at the nonpartisan Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law.

The panel, in a 2-1 ruling, said District 35 — held by U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Austin — was improperly drawn with race as the predominant factor to minimize the number of Democrat districts and to attempt to unseat Doggett by boosting the Hispanic population, making it more likely that voters would choose a Latino candidate.

“The political motive does not excuse or negate that use of race; rather, the use of race is ultimately problematic for precisely that reason — because of their political motive, they intentionally drew a district based on race in a location where such use of race was not justified by a compelling state interest,” the ruling said.

By drawing Doggett’s district with a majority Hispanic population extending into San Antonio, the Republican-controlled Legislature was able to “create the facade of complying” with the Voting Rights Act while eliminating an existing Democratic district, the panel ruled.

The panel also invalidated Districts 23, held by U.S. Rep. Will Hurd, R-Helotes, and 27, which includes southern Bastrop County and is held by U.S. Rep. Blake Farenthold, R-Corpus Christi.

The court action in the long-delayed case will have a far-reaching effect. By requiring the three districts to be redrawn, the judges’ order will change the lines on an undetermined number of nearby districts.

Looking at Hurd’s district, the judges determined that the Texas Legislature drew its lines to manipulate Latino voter turnout with “the intent and effect of diluting Latino voter opportunity.”

“Defendants’ decision to place Nueces County Hispanic voters in an Anglo district had the effect and was intended to dilute their opportunity to elect their candidate of choice,” said the 196-page ruling, including a dissent by Justice Jerry Smith.

Friday’s order also said that plaintiffs who challenged the map had proved that the Legislature intentionally diluted votes “through packing and cracking” District 26 in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The order, however, mentioned nothing about invalidating that district, most likely because it had been redrawn in 2013 and the court panel was assessing the legality of the 2011 map, Li said.

The order also did not specify how the invalidated maps should be corrected, but normal practice would be to have the Texas Legislature redraw the congressional lines, Li said.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton also could ask the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn the order, Li said.

Paxton also could ask the panel to halt the effect of its ruling while the appeal proceeded. If denied, Texas also could ask the Supreme Court to stay the ruling.

“Tonight is a victory for the voting rights of all Texans,” Gilberto Hinojosa, chairman of the Texas Democratic Party, said Friday. “Republicans have ensured that the dark days of discrimination in Texas continue to loom, but the sun will soon shine. In time, justice prevails.”

I had meant to grab only a little bit of it but goddamn, it's nice to have some decent news for a change

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

orange juche posted:

How do you do a tim tam slam without burning the poo poo out of your mouth? Like it seems like an interesting idea but I'd think hot beverages are a bit much.

eh i mean the biscuit starts to melt before you can pull too much through and it loses a lot of heat on the way through anyway

idk i mean just try it and when your skin starts peeling off might be time to stop

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
HCT don't be like me. I drink because I'm still enlisted and whenever I walk past the TVs showing news at work I have to place my hands over my mouth and scream.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

quote:

How US nuclear force modernization is undermining strategic stability: The burst-height compensating super-fuze

The US nuclear forces modernization program has been portrayed to the public as an effort to ensure the reliability and safety of warheads in the US nuclear arsenal, rather than to enhance their military capabilities. In reality, however, that program has implemented revolutionary new technologies that will vastly increase the targeting capability of the US ballistic missile arsenal. This increase in capability is astonishing—boosting the overall killing power of existing US ballistic missile forces by a factor of roughly three—and it creates exactly what one would expect to see, if a nuclear-armed state were planning to have the capacity to fight and win a nuclear war by disarming enemies with a surprise first strike.

Because of improvements in the killing power of US submarine-launched ballistic missiles, those submarines now patrol with more than three times the number of warheads needed to destroy the entire fleet of Russian land-based missiles in their silos.
US submarine-based missiles can carry multiple warheads, so hundreds of others, now in storage, could be added to the submarine-based missile force, making it all the more lethal.

http://thebulletin.org/how-us-nuclear-force-modernization-undermining-strategic-stability-burst-height-compensating-super10578

Uh... wow :stare:

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

quote:

We cannot foresee a situation in which a competent and properly informed US president would order a surprise first strike against Russia or China.

Yeah, about that.......:trumppop:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Epiphyte posted:

Yeah, about that.......:trumppop:

Whether by accident or not it sounds like they were pretty drat accurate, "competent and properly informed" does not exactly summon images of the orange pissbaby.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Doesn't that ignore the missiles the Russians have driving around in those huge trucks? Or was that a Cold War thing they don't do anymore?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Erdogan has found more Nazis :siren:

Turkey referendum: Dutch are 'Nazi remnants' - Erdogan

quote:

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has described the Dutch as "Nazi remnants and fascists", as a row grows over a cancelled Rotterdam rally.
Earlier, the Dutch government withdrew landing permission for a plane carrying Turkish FM Mevlut Cavusoglu.

He was originally scheduled to speak at Saturday's rally in support of a Yes vote in a referendum which would give Mr Erdogan greatly increased powers.
The rally was banned for security reasons, Rotterdam's mayor said.

"Ban our foreign minister from flying however much you like, but from now on, let's see how your flights will land in Turkey," President Erdogan said at a rally in Istanbul.
Mr Cavusoglu also warned Turkey would impose heavy sanctions if his visit were blocked.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said in a statement (in Dutch) that the Turkish threat of sanctions made "the search for a reasonable solution impossible".
Therefore the Netherlands was withdrawing landing rights, he said.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

makes sense, it's not like the dutch basically lynched anyone that helped the nazis or anything (they may well have actually lynched them, i'm not really certain)

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

Doesn't that ignore the missiles the Russians have driving around in those huge trucks? Or was that a Cold War thing they don't do anymore?

Yeah, they still have road mobile ICBM launchers. I guess the article's idea of a surprise first strike is a scenario in which the launchers are still in their bases and not yet dispersed .

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Two Finger posted:

makes sense, it's not like the dutch basically lynched anyone that helped the nazis or anything (they may well have actually lynched them, i'm not really certain)

Great-grandpa was kept as a hostage by the Nazis (he was a judge)

His sons were in the Dutch Resistance, and were apparently quite good at Killing Nazis and blowing poo poo up.

I don't think current-day Dutch will give two shits about this, but the older generation would be a little irked. These are the people who scream "GIVE US BACK OUR BICYCLES" at every Dutch/German soccer game, after all.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Missionary Positron posted:

Yeah, they still have road mobile ICBM launchers. I guess the article's idea of a surprise first strike is a scenario in which the launchers are still in their bases and not yet dispersed .

That scenario is in the article...nuke an entire 800 square mile forest to ensure you get all of em. Hail Satan.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

devmd01 posted:

That scenario is in the article...nuke an entire 800 square mile forest to ensure you get all of em. Hail Satan.

I think you mean 8000 square miles:

quote:

To destroy or expose the remaining launchers, United States planners would have the nuclear forces needed to undertake truly scorched-earth tactics: Just 125 US Minuteman III warheads could set fire to some 8,000 square miles of forest area where the road-mobile missiles are most likely to be deployed. This would be the equivalent of a circular area with a diameter of 100 miles.

:getin:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

This will die in the courts.

I say the courts because its going to pass right through both other branches of government.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Missionary Positron posted:

I think you mean 8000 square miles:

:getin:

ALL HAIL THE CLEANSING POWER OF THE ATOM AND ITS PROPHET CURTIS LEMAY

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Two Finger posted:

ALL HAIL THE CLEANSING POWER OF THE ATOM AND ITS PROPHET CURTIS LEMAY

Eh I think more HG Wells was the prophet, Curtis LeMay was just the proponent.

I'm in the middle of "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" and it's just insane how fast the science and technology progressed. You have leading physicists calling the liberation of energy from the atom "Moonshine" in 1933, and 9 years later you have a self-sustaining chain reaction.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 11, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Since I post too much serious poo poo, here's a story of a Rhode Island guy that visited Florida as a tourist, got drunk, and became Florida Man.

https://twitter.com/LizetteNYT/status/840551831981969409

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

facialimpediment posted:

Since I post too much serious poo poo, here's a story of a Rhode Island guy that visited Florida as a tourist, got drunk, and became Florida Man.

He looks like he was always Florida

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

It turns out the real Florida Man was inside all of us the whole time.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I feel like we're coasting off our court system right now but if that ever goes the US is straight up hosed without a recovery options.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Reverand maynard posted:

I feel like we're coasting off our court system right now but if that ever goes the US is straight up hosed without a recovery options.

If you believe in anything, loving pray to it that Ginsberg and longer female life spans work out in everyone's favor.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

I feel like Rhode Island man is the Florida man of the northeast.
Source: Grew up in south eastern Mass/RI.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Florida Man and family are my favorite superheroes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

If you believe in anything, loving pray to it that Ginsberg and longer female life spans work out in everyone's favor.

I don't believe in God, but I still pray for her continued good health daily.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
turkey continues to be awesome

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/840610121269014528

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Watch Erdogan start a loving war.

And lose, because everyone is in prison.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

So the state of the world is looking good, then. Between Erdogan, Duterte, and Trump, I think we have the "paranoid narcissist with delusions and reactions bordering on the autistic somehow in charge of a country" triple play. Only the prize here is WW3.

So, yay :ohdear:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Everyone on twitter thinks they're Nihilist Arby's.

https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/840595004024377344

Pre-Trump, Bannon was basically a ghost: https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...m=.1e9d13ae32ec

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 11, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Everyone on twitter thinks they're Nihilist Arby's.

https://twitter.com/chicagotribune/status/840595004024377344

Pre-Trump, Bannon was basically a ghost: https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...m=.1e9d13ae32ec

quote:

At the same time Bannon said he was living with his ex-wife, she was under investigation for involvement in a plot to smuggle drugs and a cellphone into a Miami jail, a law enforcement document obtained by The Post shows.

:trumppop:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

So the state of the world is looking good, then. Between Erdogan, Duterte, and Trump, I think we have the "paranoid narcissist with delusions and reactions bordering on the autistic somehow in charge of a country" triple play. Only the prize here is WW3.

So, yay :ohdear:
You forgot about Poland!

quote:

Animosity between Mr Tusk and Jaroslaw Kaczynski, who as head of Poland’s ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party is the true leader of Poland, has dominated Polish politics for over a decade. Mr Kaczynski blames Mr Tusk for a plane accident in Smolensk in 2010 that killed his twin brother Lech, then Poland’s president. Some PiS supporters believe Mr Tusk conspired with Vladimir Putin to bring down the plane and have called for him to face criminal charges; others highlight his grandfather’s brief, and forced, service in the Wehrmacht during the war.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

All I got from that is that Poland has a political party called the Piss Party.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

All I got from that is that Poland has a political party called the Piss Party.

Fascists seem to really like piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Are they still upset about the tulip thing?

• Locked thread