Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Britain doesn't have a sweet deal with the EU, we are the 2nd biggest net contributor to the EU after the Germans. Not that that is a bad thing as the only odd countries on the list of net receivers are Belgium and Luxembourg, the rest are mainly ex-Warsaw pact countries that need the sort of boost that Ireland needed to become a net contributor.

If you adjust it to net contributions per capita though the UK hovers around 7th or 8th place behind the other large economies of western European

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

I'm somewhat hopeful the insane expectations for brexit are going to backfire horribly and discredit the reactionary right to the extent the financial crash discredited neoliberalism, but on the other hand that thing about the right never being happy.

You're kidding, right? They're already lining up the blame for the inevitable fiasco on people "talking down Britain" and all the Remoaners trying to subvert THE WILL OF 53% ofTHE PEOPLE, and the phtase "stabbed in the back" is already being bandied around.

I think it'll be a miracle if we're not straight up Mosleyite by 2020.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

kustomkarkommando posted:

I think the rebate was pretty unique
Kind of, but the reason it existed at all was because of a very unproportional pay-in relative to the UK's wealth when it was negotiated. Snowflake on snowflake issue there.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I don't often agree with jBrereton but I do think he somewhat has a point here. The UK was just the most visible in terms of its snowflakery.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming the UK was not selfish or did not ruthlessly pursue 'our' (ie: elites) interests - the point is that the other big members did, they just did it at a much earlier stage, with their snowflakey demands actually built into the design of EU instituions/initiatives (such as the design of the Euro to structurally favour Germany, the CAP, the Strasbourg Parliament arrangement, etc), rather than very visibly tagged on at the end through opt-outs and the like.

This is why I am skeptical of talk of how the EU will be stronger and more cohesive following the departure of the UK, and how without it holding everyone back they will now FINALLY be able to fix all the problems and transcend into a glorious shared European future.

There might now be some token moves toward further integration in some areas, such as military cooperation, but from what I can see the interest in this area is mainly due to the potential for greater free-riding. However, fixing the fundamental structural problems which underpin governance in the EU and Eurozone in particular is not going to happen: it is simply not in the interests of the largest EU members - they do pretty drat well out of the current arrangements and will find new excuses to put off such reforms.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Tigey posted:

I don't often agree with jBrereton but I do think he somewhat has a point here. The UK was just the most visible in terms of its snowflakery.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming the UK was not selfish or did not ruthlessly pursue 'our' (ie: elites) interests - the point is that the other big members did, they just did it at a much earlier stage, with their snowflakey demands actually built into the design of EU instituions/initiatives (such as the design of the Euro to structurally favour Germany, the CAP, the Strasbourg Parliament arrangement, etc), rather than very visibly tagged on at the end through opt-outs and the like.

This is why I am skeptical of talk of how the EU will be stronger and more cohesive following the departure of the UK, and how without it holding everyone back they will now FINALLY be able to fix all the problems and transcend into a glorious shared European future.

There might now be some token moves toward further integration in some areas, such as military cooperation, but from what I can see the interest in this area is mainly due to the potential for greater free-riding. However, fixing the fundamental structural problems which underpin governance in the EU and Eurozone in particular is not going to happen: it is simply not in the interests of the largest EU members - they do pretty drat well out of the current arrangements and will find new excuses to put off such reforms.
Alright but now the UK doesn't get a word in it and has just opted out of one of the largest political and economic blocks in the world because it doesn't like people with funny accents.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Seaside Loafer posted:

Alright but now the UK doesn't get a word in it and has just opted out of one of the largest political and economic blocks in the world because it doesn't like people with funny accents.
Don't ignore the contribution of well-meaning but incredibly stupid people who thought leaving the EU would make it Change Its Ways.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The EU is like going out barefoot in winter: it's a really bad idea, your feet will freeze, you'll complain all along "jesus gently caress going out barefoot in winter is really a bad idea, god why didn't I just put on socks, this loving sucks".

The thing is when you eventually realise that no EU at all, is like going out naked.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tigey posted:

Sure but arguably the bits which the UK had/has exemptions from are very different in character, being opt outs from things that don't benefit/aren't particularly popular anywhere among the 'elite' (the right-wing one, anyhow). Things like more open borders, budget contributions, etc.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're kidding, right? They're already lining up the blame for the inevitable fiasco on people "talking down Britain" and all the Remoaners trying to subvert THE WILL OF 53% ofTHE PEOPLE, and the phtase "stabbed in the back" is already being bandied around.

I think it'll be a miracle if we're not straight up Mosleyite by 2020.

As I said, right never being happy. But half the country isn't a minority that blame can be palmed off to to the extent migrants or The Elites can.

Plus, a lot of that stuff is going to be bravado while stuff's still looking good because we haven't hit any icebergs yet. A lot of people who were fence sitting or swing voters who're currently happy to be on the winning side and share in the triumph of Sticking It To Brussels are going to be really upset when they realise there were actual consequences, which they were warned about and which all their friends told them were lies or exaggerations.

It's not guaranteed but I think if people are ready to capitalise on the "This is not what we were promised" sentiment in two years, they'd have a big shot at reversing our present course.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 11, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbyn really is a stupid old arsehole

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/840586323853529088

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Labour leader says it is not the job of Westminster to prevent Scotland holding another referendum on independence

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Wheat Loaf posted:

What do you mean? :confused:

"What, like the Left will go elsewhere?" has been the international battle cry of centrist-moving scum for decades. The Corbyn supporters who now trot(sky) this line out in defense of his Leave whipping were rightly outraged when the same logic was used to slash spending or cut tax rates or labor rights.

For what it's worth, we're seeing the same thing across the pond with social justice issues/"idpol" - because it's not like black people will ever vote Republican.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Seems like Corbyn enjoys undermining Labour leaders as much as any other member of the PLP.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Seems like Corbyn enjoys undermining Labour leaders as much as any other member of the PLP.

Do you think both Labour in Holyrood and Labour in Westminster should vote against another Scottish referendum?

EDIT: Unrelatedly the Telegraph is reporting that cabinet ministers have had to cancel trips because more Tories than expected could be planning to rebel on the Brexit amendments. Could be 'expectation management', but interesting.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Scottish Labour is dumb though and they'd have a lot more support if they'd never campaigned for the Union.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I just discovered not only that the lib dems have a party anthem, but that it is scored to the tune of "marching through Georgia", which is an excellent song that should be played loudly during Trump's next visit to the UK. Particularly if Sessions or other delegates from the Deep South join him.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Paracaidas posted:

"What, like the Left will go elsewhere?" has been the international battle cry of centrist-moving scum for decades. The Corbyn supporters who now trot(sky) this line out in defense of his Leave whipping were rightly outraged when the same logic was used to slash spending or cut tax rates or labor rights.

For what it's worth, we're seeing the same thing across the pond with social justice issues/"idpol" - because it's not like black people will ever vote Republican.

I want to be on record as saying it's just as bullshit either way.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Cool agism you pointless red tory

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

I am starting to think Jeremy Corbyn is not a very good politician or leader of the Labour Party

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

I just discovered not only that the lib dems have a party anthem, but that it is scored to the tune of "marching through Georgia", which is an excellent song that should be played loudly during Trump's next visit to the UK. Particularly if Sessions or other delegates from the Deep South join him.
Putin likes it too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b15F-_3bdj0

Only instead of sick bball showboating it's milquetoast platitudes, lies and a faint air of desperation.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

spectralent posted:

I want to be on record as saying it's just as bullshit either way.

The one true and good political opinion. If those you support are willing to sell out a belief held by supporters or a group of their supporters in order to chase electoral success (or defend their chosen one), it's because the only thing that drives them is electoral success or defending the political identity that has coalesced around a single politician/party.

It provides the context necessary to discern between "gently caress PLP for being New Labour trash who don't actually give a poo poo about workers and are simply rebranded Tory scum" and "gently caress PLP for opposing Corbyn". Because to the latter group, you can bet your rear end Remoaners are the next enemies.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Do you think both Labour in Holyrood and Labour in Westminster should vote against another Scottish referendum?

What's this obsession with how they vote? So you can hide behind the Tory majority again?

There's only one party that benefits from Jeremy being at odds with the Scottish labour leadership (hint: it's not labour).

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I voted remain because I hate the EU and all its inhabitants and thought Britain could do a better job of bringing it down from the inside.

You are Sir Humphrey Appleby and I claim my five pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37iHSwA1SwE

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

The one true and good political opinion. If those you support are willing to sell out a belief held by supporters or a group of their supporters in order to chase electoral success (or defend their chosen one), it's because the only thing that drives them is electoral success or defending the political identity that has coalesced around a single politician/party.

It provides the context necessary to discern between "gently caress PLP for being New Labour trash who don't actually give a poo poo about workers and are simply rebranded Tory scum" and "gently caress PLP for opposing Corbyn". Because to the latter group, you can bet your rear end Remoaners are the next enemies.

So the labour party should represent the beliefs of all its supporters however contradictory?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Paracaidas posted:

Are you talking about that Brexit three line whip?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Owen Jones is off twitter. Can't say I blame him, it must eat away at you after a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39242759/owen-jones-quits-social-media-after-threats-of-torture-and-murder

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coohoolin posted:

Scottish Labour is dumb though and they'd have a lot more support if they'd never campaigned for the Union.

No they'd not. Scottish Labour's rot is a lot deeper than one issue.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The UK public is currently living in a fool's paradise where they have no concept of what a fundamental change leaving the EU's going to be and just how much it's going to hurt them.

With that said, what do you think people (i.e. me) can do to try and mitigate the damage to themselves? Save as much as possible? Spend like there's no tomorrow? Dig a bomb shelter? I mean, I'm thinking of buying a new place but if the economy's going to go to poo poo, I might as well stick where I am. Any opinions?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Be ready to start diplomatically phrasing "I told you so", among everything else.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't think it's right for Westminster to block an independence referendum, although I hope it doesn't happen

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

spectralent posted:

Be ready to start diplomatically phrasing "I told you so", among everything else.

This advice is predicated on the idea that Leave voters will accept that their Brexit vote is the reason why everything is going to poo poo and not your Remoaner arse talking Britain down.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think Westminster should or will block it (though it's not really a 'block' more as a 'fail to agree to give one'), but I think it's reasonable that the timing of it is negotiated, especially if the Brexit negotiations are underway.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Pistol_Pete posted:

The UK public is currently living in a fool's paradise where they have no concept of what a fundamental change leaving the EU's going to be and just how much it's going to hurt them.

With that said, what do you think people (i.e. me) can do to try and mitigate the damage to themselves? Save as much as possible? Spend like there's no tomorrow? Dig a bomb shelter? I mean, I'm thinking of buying a new place but if the economy's going to go to poo poo, I might as well stick where I am. Any opinions?

Develop a taste for human flesh :unsmigghh:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think Westminster should or will block it (though it's not really a 'block' more as a 'fail to agree to give one'), but I think it's reasonable that the timing of it is negotiated, especially if the Brexit negotiations are underway.

It's a rough one to time, they'd want it before we leave the eu because they believe they can negotiate staying in if they leave the UK. Naturally the Tories will want the opposite.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Baron Corbyn posted:

This advice is predicated on the idea that Leave voters will accept that their Brexit vote is the reason why everything is going to poo poo and not your Remoaner arse talking Britain down.

I don't think most people in the UK are that insane. I think a worryingly large amount of them are, but I think that's still a hard minority, and not even a plurality. I think a majority honestly believe the fantasies that've been peddled and are currently recieving a steady diet of "Everything's looking great! Look how marmite had to stay the same! Please ignore the exit hasn't happened yet!" news that makes them think everything is fine and will continue to be. I expect when things go wrong, there's going to be a lot of confusion and anguish and that when that happens people need to be there to offer another answer to the inevitable "It's because we didn't brexit hard enough!" screed some are going to go with.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's hard to conceive how we could brexit harder outside of nuking Brussels

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pistol_Pete posted:

On a personal level, I think the only thing you can do is to make sure your financial position is robust and that you have exit options if you need them. I'd certainly be wary of making a house purchase at this point.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 11, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Ive said this before but I'd be happy if there was never another referendum in the U.K. on any question ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Namtab posted:

It's hard to conceive how we could brexit harder outside of nuking Brussels

We're actually going to do some negotiating whereas an awful lot of people who write poorly composed letters to local papers want the UK to just show up, shart on the table, and leave, and then refuse any calls about funding or migration treaties. A minority of people think it's actually all really simple and we just need to say we're going and then we're gone and any discussion or formal process is pussyfooting around.

I'm reminded of the guy who wrote to our local paper to say that, if the UK just refused to pay the EU anything, the negotiations would be over tomorrow because then the EU couldn't keep negotiations running to keep milking us for more money. Those are the people who're going to argue that Brexit could've been good but we were too "soft".

• Locked thread