Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I'm really loving the chainsaw, I think it's a standalone weapon and it's also bundled with Raider Overhaul. There's a flaming version and one with a skull attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still waiting on a ballistic fist. And on Millennia to do anything, really.

I really don't get why that isn't a mod for the power fist and also why the power fist can't be used with power armour.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Falken posted:

Last time I checked, it had the janky reload animations, and I've never seen a carry handle AR15 have the scope mounted where the rear sight should be.

Maybe this will be more up your alley. It's a fictional gun that was originally made for NV and remade for 4, just posted today. It's pretty similar to the carbines from NV.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22536/

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Midnight Voyager posted:

The problem with asking the goon hivemind is that it's full of assholes who aren't fans of questions with super obvious, easy to find answers.

You are resoundingly correct it appears. However I take issue with the last part of your statement. I did a little dicking around and thought, "Surely there is a thread for this, ask the game forums." Whoops.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

Maybe this will be more up your alley. It's a fictional gun that was originally made for NV and remade for 4, just posted today. It's pretty similar to the carbines from NV.

It's definitely a real gun; based on the Ruger AR-556, hence the mod name of RU556. There's just some extra plastic furniture on it in most of the screenshots.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

It's definitely a real gun; based on the Ruger AR-556, hence the mod name of RU556. There's just some extra plastic furniture on it in most of the screenshots.

Well drat, I Googled the name and didn't get any results besides Fallout and a few other mods. I just assumed it was a fictionalized AR15 varient.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

aniviron posted:

It's called the "RU556" because ImBrokeRU modeled it

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

turn off the TV posted:

The reload includes a mag flip hnnggggghh

Thanks for this.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

After spending part of the day messing around with occlusion, I have to say that the problem is even worse than I imagined. There are places in downtown Boston (like the financial district) where a good number of buildings just don't seem to cull anything at all.

I tried a few different ini settings and different Creation Kit settings, and I can't seem to find a way to alter occlusion culling in any way. Unless Boris wants and is able to look into it I think it may be a lost cause.

e: doing some more testing today, I've been trying a few more .ini lines and messing with hand placing occlusion boxes again.

For some reason I can't get occlusion boxes working with precalculated visibility, it's one or the other. While previs works better in less complex cells, occlusion boxes seem to be working more reliably in areas like the Financial District.

I have also tried using the fallout4.ini lines fPreVisCameraBufferNear and fPreVisCameraZShift. After a number of attempts, however, neither of these settings seem to be working. I've tried both increasing and decreasing their values, but nothing happens.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 10, 2017

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

After spending part of the day messing around with occlusion, I have to say that the problem is even worse than I imagined. There are places in downtown Boston (like the financial district) where a good number of buildings just don't seem to cull anything at all.

I tried a few different ini settings and different Creation Kit settings, and I can't seem to find a way to alter occlusion culling in any way. Unless Boris wants and is able to look into it I think it may be a lost cause.

e: doing some more testing today, I've been trying a few more .ini lines and messing with hand placing occlusion boxes again.

For some reason I can't get occlusion boxes working with precalculated visibility, it's one or the other. While previs works better in less complex cells, occlusion boxes seem to be working more reliably in areas like the Financial District.

I have also tried using the fallout4.ini lines fPreVisCameraBufferNear and fPreVisCameraZShift. After a number of attempts, however, neither of these settings seem to be working. I've tried both increasing and decreasing their values, but nothing happens.

Thanks for trying, Its overused, but people fixing bethesda games flaws make a much bigger impact than 1000 cbbe presets. (with ghoul cockgirls)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So there's this mod now to import/export settlement layouts as json files.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Haven't gotten to use it yet, but a Sim Settlement mod just showed up, and it looks pretty promising. Essentially instead of having to micromanage every little aspect of your sad-sack settlers' lives, you plonk down residential/industrial/commercial zones and settlers build their own poo poo, have their own personalities expressed via the kinds of clutter they put in their dwellings, etc. Buildings upgrade over time as the settlement grows, and there's a tax system so you still make profit from your settlements.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

aniviron posted:

Haven't gotten to use it yet, but a Sim Settlement mod just showed up, and it looks pretty promising. Essentially instead of having to micromanage every little aspect of your sad-sack settlers' lives, you plonk down residential/industrial/commercial zones and settlers build their own poo poo, have their own personalities expressed via the kinds of clutter they put in their dwellings, etc. Buildings upgrade over time as the settlement grows, and there's a tax system so you still make profit from your settlements.

That sounds pretty awesome potentially. I think I'm just gonna keep an eye on it rather than using it for the time being because it sounds like a pretty huge thing that could have some kinks in it but this sounds like the mod I've been wishing for since release.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

staberind posted:

Thanks for trying, Its overused, but people fixing bethesda games flaws make a much bigger impact than 1000 cbbe presets. (with ghoul cockgirls)

Honestly I'm really confused as to why nobody has looked at this before me. Plenty of people speculated about it before, but I guess nobody thought about using twf to see what's happening.

I've blocked up a few buildings in a problem area, and I'm getting around a 5-10 FPS boost, or identical performance, with just two buildings done. It's not as good as the less complex cells, but a difference between 35 and 45 FPS is nice.

I've yet to test overlapping occlusion boxes, which may help quite a bit with getting the game to recognize where it should be culling.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
[quote="turn off the TV" post="470209336"
Good ideas.
[/quote]

Could you have a look at beantown interiours, they may have had to do something similar as well, plus, whatever you make, I hope it does not clash with that as the best mod of ALL TIME, http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21643/ Gnomes.
would not work.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

staberind posted:

Could you have a look at beantown interiours, they may have had to do something similar as well, plus, whatever you make, I hope it does not clash with that as the best mod of ALL TIME, http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21643/ Gnomes.
would not work.

There shouldn't be any compatibility conflicts with Beantown, all of the buildings I'm touching are in the financial district.

I'm guessing that Beantown uses previs. Manually placing occlusion boxes is way more effort than it's worth in the majority of cases, and it won't be as good as precalculated visibility. The only reason I'm bothering to do it in downtown Boston is because the previs culling starts having very significant issues, but occlusion boxes seem to work better.

This is one of the reasons why I was trying to get those .ini settings to work, as increasing the buffer might allow the engine to cope with the number of occlusion planes downtown.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh hey, neat, Mod Organizer and F4SE suddenly decided that they hate each other and now I can't play the loving game. I have no idea why, but it shits out the totally helpful and not at all cryptic "A component of f4se_loader.exe has stopped working." and I get loving nothing else to go on, and every single thread I come across on the internet about this has no actual solution to the problem.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Gonkish posted:

Oh hey, neat, Mod Organizer and F4SE suddenly decided that they hate each other and now I can't play the loving game. I have no idea why, but it shits out the totally helpful and not at all cryptic "A component of f4se_loader.exe has stopped working." and I get loving nothing else to go on, and every single thread I come across on the internet about this has no actual solution to the problem.

For me, I generally just close out of MO and re-open it if that message pops up, and that tends to fix it. Have you restarted MO?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
So does this mean I could make my perfect little town, and get to use it for all playthroughs?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Does it mean I can upload some really nice settlements as a whole and not give a gently caress about the Settlement meta game outside my own private man cave?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kimsemus posted:

I'm thinking of restarting my playthrough with Horizon, since y'all are talking about it a bunch, are there some good mods that complement it?

I got the same question as this guy, last time I played fallout 4 the creation kit had not come out yet, whats the list of "must have" changes and additions? last time I played I only had some minor graphical changes and the armorsmith mod that let you layer and improve the otherwise weak clothes for better dressup.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I got the same question as this guy, last time I played fallout 4 the creation kit had not come out yet, whats the list of "must have" changes and additions? last time I played I only had some minor graphical changes and the armorsmith mod that let you layer and improve the otherwise weak clothes for better dressup.

It's still mostly weapon, armor, and graphics mods at this point. The CK was only released around 6-8 months ago, and certain tools and systems to create animations more recently than that.

Anther big hurdle is that this is the first 64 bit engine that Bethesda has released, meaning that the script extender is being rewritten largely from scratch in order to support it. From what I understand, previous versions were quickly ported from one game to another, allowing more complex mods to be created sooner. We're still waiting for all of the functions of the script extender to be updated for the new version, although from what I understand they projected their release as sometime this month.

That said, there have been some pretty cool mods released in the past few days, which hold a lot of potential, like Transfer Settlements and Sim Settlements.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

potaties posted:

For me, I generally just close out of MO and re-open it if that message pops up, and that tends to fix it. Have you restarted MO?

Yep. I've restarted MO, restarted the computer, run MO as admin, set f4se_loader to run as admin, deleted and reinstalled F4SE, nuked all the .ini files and started over, etc. None of it works. :smith:

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 11, 2017

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Gonkish posted:

Yep. I've restarted MO, restarted the computer, run MO as admin, set f4se_loader to run as admin, deleted and reinstalled F4SE, nuked all the .ini files and started over, etc. None of it works. :smith:

Maybe try disabling any mods that use F4SE and see if that makes a difference. Maybe something running F4SE needs to be updated. Also you reinstalled so I'm sure the answer is "yes" but you are on the most current F4SE version, right (Current build: 0.3.0)?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

potaties posted:

Maybe try disabling any mods that use F4SE and see if that makes a difference. Maybe something running F4SE needs to be updated. Also you reinstalled so I'm sure the answer is "yes" but you are on the most current F4SE version, right (Current build: 0.3.0)?

Yep. I'll try disabling F4SE mods.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaand disabling F4SE mods altogether didn't change anything. For whatever drat reason, F4SE just loving hates MO's guts now and I don't know why.

F4SE itself works fine, and so does Fallout 4. I can load the game up through f4se_loader or just normally and everything works without issue, but I can't get MO and F4SE to play nice, and I have no idea why. Nothing's changed, even. This worked two days ago without a single issue, and suddenly, out of the loving blue, it shits itself. I'm wondering if there was a Windows Update or something that hosed with it somehow. I'm honestly at a loss as to what else could be the source of the problem.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 11, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Anyone know how the filters work in xEdit? I'd like to be able to view cells that only belong to specific regions of the map. xEdit is capable of displaying map regions, but I can't figure out how to work the filter to only show specific regions.

The reason I'm asking is because big flora overhaul mods usually require disabling precombined objects, which has a massive performance impact. However, it's possible to specifically disable precombination in certain cells, like those that have buildings in them, while leaving the rest of the map alone, more or less allowing people to run flora mods without having to deal with a large performance impact.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Is there any kind of mega mod pack out yet? Im reinstalling now and really dont want to spend hours downloading and installing individual mods. Some kind of mod pack would be an awesome way to avoid that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is there any kind of mega mod pack out yet? Im reinstalling now and really dont want to spend hours downloading and installing individual mods. Some kind of mod pack would be an awesome way to avoid that.

This will never happen for a whole host of reasons, and it's a dumb idea in any event.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
That's a shame. The Morrowind Mega Mod pack really did a ton to improve the game without requiring the crazy time investment that would have been needed to download, install and test all of the mods involved.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Iron Rose posted:

This will never happen for a whole host of reasons, and it's a dumb idea in any event.

Those happen from time to time, like FOOK for FO3 incorporating a lot of smaller stuff into it, and the Morrowind overhaul CoffeeBooze mentions.

I don't use Bethesda dot net so I don't know if it has this feature but Steam Workshop lets you subscribe to mod collections that people have assembled, you might be able to see if that's a thing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Some fun observations: the deeper an occlusion box, the better it works. If you were to make a cube of occlusion blocks, with one forming each side, it will cull less than one single box filling the same dimensions. Similarly, deeper boxes seem to work better from further away. I do not know why.

Overlapping boxes seems to have no side effects, which is good, since this means that it's possible to fill oddly shaped buildings with the largest boxes that can fit inside of them, meaning that they will all function better.

This means two things: buildings with open world interiors suck with occlusion boxes, while very large, hollow buildings work extremely well, possibly better than functioning previs.

I'm still experiencing identical or better FPS and amount of culling (gains of upwards around 10 FPS in only partially edited cells) so I'm very hopeful that this may improve overall performance quite significantly in downtown Boston.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 12, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You're doing Todd's work.

No seriously Bethesda should have been doing this, but thank you for doing it for them.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Well, I did something today while messing around downtown and really tanked my FPS. I think the issue may be having a large number of occlusion cubes, or mixing occlusion cubes with the previs system.

So that's a bummer, but on the bright side I've started to get better at spotting areas that don't play nice with the previs system, and I think that there may be a pretty easy solution.

Just blocking off LOS on certain streets should help significantly, and it's pretty simple to do that just by placing more of those makeshift walls that are already pretty common downtown. Stacking them twice as high, and giving them a little width, should allow them to cull a decent amount on longer streets and busy intersections.

e: Thinking about it more, creating and expanding on existing sky bridges to block more of the player's LOS would also work pretty well, and would look cool.

Now I want to think of an easy way to raise the state house on the north end of Boston Commons so it culls the buildings behind it.

e2: Billboards.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 13, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I've just started modding this game for the first time. I set up MO, then I installed Weapon Balance Overhaul and the one that is required for WBO. That went fine. Now I'm trying to install ENB. I download the latest version (0.311), unpack it, copy all of the files in WrapperVersion into my Fallout 4 folder, and when I boot the game with F4SE, I get a black screen. When I boot the game with the regular launcher, it stops responding. What have I done wrong?

EDIT: Also, I have now downloaded Raider Overhaul, which the OP has listed as a must-have. However, MO says that it is missing a master file: DLCRobot.esm. Sound like a DLC I don't have. I would just buy it, but I'm worried that would cause problems with the other mods I have installed. Will this be a problem?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 13, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ariong posted:

I've just started modding this game for the first time. I set up MO, then I installed Weapon Balance Overhaul and the one that is required for WBO. That went fine. Now I'm trying to install ENB. I download the latest version (0.311), unpack it, copy all of the files in WrapperVersion into my Fallout 4 folder, and when I boot the game with F4SE, I get a black screen. When I boot the game with the regular launcher, it stops responding. What have I done wrong?

EDIT: Also, I have now downloaded Raider Overhaul, which the OP has listed as a must-have. However, MO says that it is missing a master file: DLCRobot.esm. Sound like a DLC I don't have. I would just buy it, but I'm worried that would cause problems with the other mods I have installed. Will this be a problem?

Make sure that your enblocal.ini is set to an amount of vram that your system has: https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutMods/comments/3tzbkh/enboost_how_to_determine_the_correct_vram_setting/

Try running the game in borderless window mode. If you are doing that, or it doesn't fix it, disable the Steam overlay, as well as any other overlays that may be running. I'm not sure what the next step after that would be.

As far as the raider overhaul/DLC goes, any DLC should be compatible with nearly any up to date mod, as they function exactly like mods.

Version 11.4c of the overhaul does not require any DLC, and is available on the mod's download page. I would also not describe it as necessary by any means, but you can decide if you like it from the screenshots, I suppose.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's kind of funny/sad your essentially doing what Mr House had to do to New Vegas.

Build a shitload of walls made of rubble and discarded billboards.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's kind of funny/sad your essentially doing what Mr House had to do to New Vegas.

Build a shitload of walls made of rubble and discarded billboards.

They did it for essentially the same reason in Fallout 3 by sectioning off the city into smaller chunks, by making everything nice and bite sized you can have a big city that works in the engine.

For some reason they forgot about this in Fallout 4 and added incredibly long avenues and large squares that are not going to work as well with occlusion culling.

If you look at other large game cities, like Novigrad in The Witcher, you'll notice that there are not really any terribly large open squares, unless the buildings around them are tall enough to block off LOS of the rest of the city. There also aren't any long, straight roads inside the city proper. Everything is nice, packed, and has poor visibility.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.

Ariong posted:

If the earlier fixes don't work, try adding F4SE to Steam as a "Non-Steam Game" and launch it through the Steam library. ENB doesn't play nice with a few things and this seems to fix some of that somehow. Using this, I can run F4SE, ENB, and EVGA Precision all at once with no problems.

If that doesn't work, remove ENB and see if that lets you launch the game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

turn off the TV posted:

Make sure that your enblocal.ini is set to an amount of vram that your system has: https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutMods/comments/3tzbkh/enboost_how_to_determine_the_correct_vram_setting/

Try running the game in borderless window mode. If you are doing that, or it doesn't fix it, disable the Steam overlay, as well as any other overlays that may be running. I'm not sure what the next step after that would be.

As far as the raider overhaul/DLC goes, any DLC should be compatible with nearly any up to date mod, as they function exactly like mods.

Version 11.4c of the overhaul does not require any DLC, and is available on the mod's download page. I would also not describe it as necessary by any means, but you can decide if you like it from the screenshots, I suppose.

That really did the trick! You're a genius. Many thanks.

I do have another minor problem, which is not keeping me from playing but is a little annoying. When I launch Fallout 4 via F4SE via MO2, quitting the game doesn't actually quit the game. It looks like it quits the game, but in reality, I ahve to open the task manager and end the process manually. I have added Fallout4.exe, F4SE.exe, and the mod organizer one to Microsoft Secrutiy Essentials' Excluded Processes list, but it's still happening.