Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lightning Lord posted:

Who in loving hell is Paul Cattermole and why do half of the posters in this thread have redtext about him?

You don't remember S Club 7? Shameful. Was a guy on another forum I posted on who was convinced that Rachel Stevens from S Club had put out the best pop album of the '00s. He was otherwise quite reliable on liking good music.

Regarde Aduck posted:

That sounds really scary to those of us unlikely to be able to leave. I don't see anywhere in Europe as particularly enticing and while I have a degree it's not STEM or in demand so the chances of getting a job or being head hunted is low-impossible. Am I going to die? If the best course of action is to literally flee if you can what the gently caress is going to happen to us that can't? You're giving me a panic attack.

Ach, it'll not be that bad. I'd leave if I could but no qualifications, no foreign languages & no money is a bit of a hurdle. But that's more because Britain is a depressing burning trash heap & I'd maybe not be so deeply invested in the politics of another country if I lived there. But if you're that worried, maybe you can phone up the Russian Embassy & ask if they are still offering land in the Far East. Assuming you are white. Although it really wasn't very much land from what I remember, it'd probably be a pretty rubbish life. And I bet internet speeds in rural Primorsky Krai or Amur Oblast are shite.

March 11th, 1708. Last time a British monarch vetoes legislation, as Queen Anne refuses to give royal assent to Scotch Militia Bill.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

You don't remember S Club 7? Shameful. Was a guy on another forum I posted on who was convinced that Rachel Stevens from S Club had put out the best pop album of the '00s. He was otherwise quite reliable on liking good music.
Funky Dory was no Eye to the Telescope, however R-Stevez was pretty tidy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

But if you're that worried, maybe you can phone up the Russian Embassy & ask if they are still offering land in the Far East. Assuming you are white. Although it really wasn't very much land from what I remember, it'd probably be a pretty rubbish life. And I bet internet speeds in rural Primorsky Krai or Amur Oblast are shite.
It's like two acres or something, but I think you're able to log and hunt in the surrounding common land too.

Are they really trying to restrict it to whites only, I thought they were targeting British in general? loving lol if they're going to stop a British East Asian person getting land in Kamchatka.

Canada has more generous land grants anyway and there's the whole Commonwealth and Not Being Russia thing/

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

It's like two acres or something, but I think you're able to log and hunt in the surrounding common land too.

Are they really trying to restrict it to whites only, I thought they were targeting British in general? loving lol if they're going to stop a British East Asian person getting land in Kamchatka.

Canada has more generous land grants anyway and there's the whole Commonwealth and Not Being Russia thing/

I think it was open to Europeans, which lead to some obvious insinuations of racism but seeing as nothing was reported about it after the initial press release 18 months ago or wherever I never heard more on it. I just remember looking at it & realising the area granted was loving piddly compared to stuff like various American Homesteading acts, despite the Russian Far East obviously being both massive and empty. Quickly decided it was far more effort than reward so never looked into it any further despite being a bit of a Russophile (in the sense of the people, their culture & history rather than the current government).

Also, I'm far too lazy to be good at living off the land.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 11, 2017

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

How do you actually go about doing it? Moving abroad that is. By hook and crook I am actually possessed of 20 years experience of technical stuff that is well employable pretty much everywhere I guess but if you are the hiring manager in a town in Ecuador and one of the CV's you receive is from a bloke who is currently in Essex and cant speak Spanish you arent putting that to the top of the list are you. Face to face interview would be a bit problematic as well wouldn't it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Seaside Loafer posted:

How do you actually go about doing it? Moving abroad that is. By hook and crook I am actually possessed of 20 years experience of technical stuff that is well employable pretty much everywhere I guess but if you are the hiring manager in a town in Ecuador and one of the CV's you receive is from a bloke who is currently in Essex and cant speak Spanish you arent putting that to the top of the list are you. Face to face interview would be a bit problematic as well wouldn't it.

The simplest way is a company that has operations in both the UK and the country you want to move to.

But if you genuinely do have marketable skills the best way is just to save up, move over to the new country and apply for jobs there.

If you're applying for IT jobs it might be easier to do it remotely, but just change your LinkedIN profile / resume to have an address in your new locale.

If you back yourself, you have to take a chance, but if you have enough money for 3 months at least in the new place then that should be ample time to find some sort of job.

Having english is also a big marketable skill.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

loving lol

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

and i must meme posted:

How bad is it really going to get? Like is everyone just overreacting or is this really going to be as bad as people are implying?

It has the potential to be a disaster, an unprecedented act of economic suicide for a mature western democracy. There is no aspect of our national life that will not be impacted by Brexit. There is no outcome that will be better than the status quo.

The Government hasn't even began to grasp the scale of the task ahead of them, and the Civil Service who will be tasked with the gigantic amounts of work needed is not remotely capable of carrying all that work out in any timely fashion. The resources just aren't there.

So that's all good.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheHoodedClaw posted:

It has the potential to be a disaster, an unprecedented act of economic suicide for a mature western democracy. There is no aspect of our national life that will not be impacted by Brexit. There is no outcome that will be better than the status quo.
There are outcomes that would be better than the status quo, which is mediocre training and stagnant/falling wages for a lot of British workers, especially young men. Certainly further education could do with some improvement and a perception that we might have to train people properly instead of just importing them could help with that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/840322323622350848

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lmao

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I like this.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

TheHoodedClaw posted:

The Government hasn't even began to grasp the scale of the task ahead of them

I'm not sure this is accurate. My take is that the Govt is starkly aware of how hosed they are and are busy publically ostriching and dead-catting to avoid having the red-tops ask just when May will be ready to give Jerry and Francois a good kicking.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

jBrereton posted:

There are outcomes that would be better than the status quo, which is mediocre training and stagnant/falling wages for a lot of British workers, especially young men. Certainly further education could do with some improvement and a perception that we might have to train people properly instead of just importing them could help with that.

I mean, it's technically possible that Brexit could be better, but do you think there's any realistic chance of that happening unless the cabinet gets hit with an asteroid and the entire government is replaced, by freak technicality, with the unliving corpse of Clement Atlee or something?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

JFairfax posted:

If you back yourself, you have to take a chance, but if you have enough money for 3 months at least in the new place then that should be ample time to find some sort of job.
Never seem to get to that point. I've earned loads and payed poo poo loads of tax over the years but between supporting my ex and our kid and paying the loving rent I never seem to get ahead.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

I mean, it's technically possible that Brexit could be better, but do you think there's any realistic chance of that happening unless the cabinet gets hit with an asteroid and the entire government is replaced, by freak technicality, with the unliving corpse of Clement Atlee or something?
I have literally no idea, and it depends quite heavily on whether Tess May as PM can give up on a bad idea like grammar schools and redirect attention to properly training people for the trades, including the middle class kids who have been steered violently away from it for the last couple of decades when uni attendance was the target rather than an actually useful society with capable people in it, as might be just fuckin necessary after Brexit depending on how hard, poached, or scrambled with bits of smoked salmon it is.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

jBrereton posted:

I have literally no idea, and it depends quite heavily on whether Tess May as PM can give up on a bad idea like grammar schools and redirect attention to properly training people for the trades, including the middle class kids who have been steered violently away from it for the last couple of decades when uni attendance was the target rather than an actually useful society with capable people in it, as might be just fuckin necessary after Brexit depending on how hard, poached, or scrambled with bits of smoked salmon it is.

So "No", then.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

jBrereton posted:

I hope you are right. Losing tarriff-free access to the gigantic market on our doorstep isn't exactly going to help with the wages aspect though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Seaside Loafer posted:

Never seem to get to that point. I've earned loads and payed poo poo loads of tax over the years but between supporting my ex and our kid and paying the loving rent I never seem to get ahead.

Just stop paying child support and alimony.

I mean you'll be leaving the country anyway so they won't be able to get you.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Seaside Loafer posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here but why the hell would you move to South America? And Ecuador, on top of that.

If I didn't have family in SA I would just forget its existence entirely.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Just stop paying child support and alimony.

I mean you'll be leaving the country anyway so they won't be able to get you.
Hehe, In a world where I was an evil bastard I would totally do that but I have this strange sense of responsibility and love to my offspring.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

kingturnip posted:

I'm not sure this is accurate. My take is that the Govt is starkly aware of how hosed they are and are busy publically ostriching and dead-catting to avoid having the red-tops ask just when May will be ready to give Jerry and Francois a good kicking.

They are certainly starting to realize, I think, with some of the bigger ticket items. Something like the Euratom agreement seemed to be complete news to them, and there'll be thousands of knotty problems buried deep in the last four decades worth of legislation.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't understand how you move without getting headhunted. I probably could get some job but i'm not valuable enough to get head hunted so I have no idea how to get the foot in the door.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here but why the hell would you move to South America? And Ecuador, on top of that.

If I didn't have family in SA I would just forget its existence entirely.
Looks really nice and seems to be going OK. I've wanted to get out of this dreary shithole UK (yes I know grass is always greener on the other side) for years but resisted cos my kid was still young but she is nearly 16 now and isn't that bothered any more and we can skype and email and stuff. and i can just magic money to them assuming there is an internet

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheHoodedClaw posted:

I hope you are right. Losing tarriff-free access to the gigantic market on our doorstep isn't exactly going to help with the wages aspect though.
We'll see what happens with regards to everything in due course. Wouldn't throw yourselves on a calamity that hasn't happened yet, though, bad for your health.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah I don't understand how you move without getting headhunted. I probably could get some job but i'm not valuable enough to get head hunted so I have no idea how to get the foot in the door.

you make poo poo happen.

do your research, find a company with overseas locations and apply for jobs with them. it's a lot easier to do an internal company transfer, and there are lots of companies with international operations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

I have literally no idea, and it depends quite heavily on whether Tess May as PM can give up on a bad idea like grammar schools and redirect attention to properly training people for the trades salmon it is.

They literally just pushed ahead with grammar schools. It was the first budget since the referendum and it was their opportunity to start reprioritising, and preparing the UK for independence and strengthening our negotiating position. We didn't get investment to make the UK more self-sufficient, we got grammars and Hammond burying a bunch of money in case we need some later

What's this about salmon anyway. The Norwegian gravlax model?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

hopefully they get to the bit where they nail her to a large piece of woodwork soon

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

baka kaba posted:

They literally just pushed ahead with grammar schools. It was the first budget since the referendum and it was their opportunity to start reprioritising, and preparing the UK for independence and strengthening our negotiating position. We didn't get investment to make the UK more self-sufficient, we got grammars and Hammond burying a bunch of money in case we need some later

What's this about salmon anyway. The Norwegian gravlax model?
Apparently Theresa is mad about the grammar schools going into the budget because she thinks there's other priorities. Which seems weird considering one would expect she'd see the budget early what with living next door to the guy who wrote it.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

jBrereton posted:

We'll see what happens with regards to everything in due course. Wouldn't throw yourselves on a calamity that hasn't happened yet, though, bad for your health.

The Tories in Parliament aren't fully on board at all. There's a handful in the Commons who've already rebelled, and more who would do so if there was a chance that a Govt motion could be defeated. But that is contingent on there being a majority against. That stupid oval office Corbyn whipped *for* the Government position. It really is the perfect storm of idiocy.

It's all David Cameron's fault though. A Prime Minister in control of his own party - and he had a decade to do so - would never have allowed such a daft open ended referendum. A rich boy, playing the game of politics as a game, and playing it badly. drat him.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ they didn't even rebel to vote for the amendments they were publicly calling for, you think they'd have voted for total political suicide?

Namtab posted:

Apparently Theresa is mad about the grammar schools going into the budget because she thinks there's other priorities. Which seems weird considering one would expect she'd see the budget early what with living next door to the guy who wrote it.

Really? Maybe she's just mad they're making people even more annoyed about the budget - she was sure in favour of them before and it's not like much has changed. She came into the job with the UK canoe heading for Brexit Falls and she was still hella about them grammars

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 12, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

baka kaba posted:

^^^ they didn't even rebel to vote for the amendments they were publicly calling for, you think they'd have voted for total political suicide?

Really? Maybe she's just mad they're making people even more annoyed about the budget - she was sure in favour of them before and it's not like much has changed. She came into the job with the UK canoe heading for Brexit Falls and she was still hella about them grammars
From what I read, and it was a mail piece so the usual caveats apply, she thinks there's more important things to focus on than reviving the grammar school debate at this time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh well in that case, good :rip:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TheHoodedClaw posted:

But that is contingent on there being a majority against. That stupid oval office Corbyn whipped *for* the Government position. It really is the perfect storm of idiocy.

gently caress off. Article 50 had no chance of being blocked regardless of the whipping position of Labour. The amendments had Labour support and the Tories didn't rebel on them in any significant numbers.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I'm sceptical purely because at PMQ's before the budget she was leading questions about school funding and selective schools with comments about the opposition waiting to see whats in the budget. This seems like some after the fact attempts to distance herself from the unpopular budget without appearing to have bowed to public pressure over the NI rise.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Jesus and Mary are different people?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Mail and Telegraph both with front pages hostile to the government again tomorrow.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

jabby posted:

gently caress off. Article 50 had no chance of being blocked regardless of the whipping position of Labour. The amendments had Labour support and the Tories didn't rebel on them in any significant numbers.

A government with a narrow majority needs to be opposed (or at least held to account) robustly. Every day, every vote, every TV slot, every radio slot, every attack countered, every position analysed.

Oh sorry, I forgot; the London oval office student debating society are in charge, preening themselves in an ideological mirror, loving up for actual working class people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TheHoodedClaw posted:

A government with a narrow majority needs to be opposed (or at least held to account) robustly. Every day, every vote, every TV slot, every radio slot, every attack countered, every position analysed.

Oh sorry, I forgot; the London oval office student debating society are in charge, preening themselves in an ideological mirror, loving up for actual working class people.

Would these be the actual working class people who backed Brexit a hell of a lot more than the 'London oval office student debating society' did?

And you claimed that more Tories might have rebelled if Corbyn had whipped against Article 50, a clearly false claim since hardly any rebelled on the amendments which were fair more likely to pass, and you have no idea how many Labour MPs would have defied the whip if Corbyn tried to block Brexit.

• Locked thread