Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

never trust a weed doer, it's illegal

Jeff Sessions dislikes the KKK. Not because they're racist, but because they smoke weed.

Remember kids, "winners don't use drugs." -William S. Sessions (no relation to Jeff Sessions)

univbee posted:

Basically in all likelihood AP just got in over their head due to some awkward timing, like starting a 2nd group buy before a 1st group buy had really settled because of the surprise Everdrive GB announcement, and probably there was some money mismanagement and "stealing from Peter to pay Paul" or whatever that expression is type of planning that didn't really pan out.

Ah, an Inafune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

al-azad posted:

Remember kids, "winners don't use drugs." -William S. Sessions (no relation to Jeff Sessions)
Ah, right, I thought I recognized the name "Sessions" from those blurbs. Glad to know it wasn't Jeff.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a definitive 'best' N64 Bomberman for single player?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Heran Bago posted:

Bomberman 64: The Second Attack absolutely. It's also the best one for multiplayer.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I'm one of the people who got everything AP promised, pretty much on schedule. I even bought stuff from her after the ban, and it all arrived, and she helped me design the art for my fight stick. I feel like the situation was probably more complicated than it seems on the surface, but obviously it's unforgivable to take a bunch of money and keep it, but the way it happened makes me think incompetence over malice. I dunno like I said, the situation was confusing and sucked.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Heran Bago posted:

It's actually pretty divisive, but I have a real soft spot for Bomberman Hero. It's got a really unique and earwormy soundtrack, too.

Honestly all of the N64 Bomberman games are really solid single player, though I never played the Japan-only one.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Candy cab progress update:

-Took the control panel apart to gut the parts and clean the insides. We've discovered some damage to the frame that connects it to the rest of the cab, so we're debating how to fix that and prevent further damage.

The parts that the cab came with are Korean made Crown buttons and sticks, and they were beat to hell. One of the sticks was missing it's gate completely and had bad drift. Several buttons flatly did not work, and those that did felt weird. I was hoping to replace these parts with japanese parts, but I discovered that the buttons were slightly smaller than your typical 30mm japanese button, and the plastic they snapped into was specifically molded to take these buttons. The joystick also was longer than your typical japanese stick, and had the plastic molded around it.

So I was left with 3 options:

-Buy new Korean parts. I didn't like this for several reasons. The buttons didn't feel all that great, the layout using the slightly smaller buttons felt weird, and paradise arcade didn't have enough of them to fill out my cab. I also hate bat tops.

-Carve out the plastic frame to try and fit japanese parts. I also didn't like this because I would only have one chance to do it and could never go back to its original layout. There's something to be said to keeping this as close to original condition as possible.

-Make my own frame. The material would have to be wood and painted, not stained. I could set up my own custom layout and use any joystick and button combo I like. I could also make the frames modular so I could swap in different joystick layouts, like 3, 4 or 6 buttons.

We've decided to try option 3 first. Here's pics of our test piece:

And here's the original frame and what the buttons/joystick were like

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the power supply and clean it as well as drill out an astro city layout into the panel.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

Can someone add the kitsch-bent link to the OP so I don't have to repost it all the time?

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/n64-joystick-gears

done

On the topic of Acid Police he tried to scam me directly on a private sale of some Genesis carts and I have absolutely no doubt he was doing things like this constantly, on multiple forums. Nobody honest demands Paypal gift payment. The group buys and stuff were just the most public face of it so it's what people remember but he was always doing smaller private stuff too. He got banned from IRC for a similar thing

edit: Am I misgendering Acid Police? I keep seeing them refered to as "her" but they identified as a dude to me and their paypal account/address was in a dude's name. I think they suck for what they did but it's not my intention to dis them in that way.

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 11, 2017

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I dunno when I asked they said 'she' so who knows what real life is anymore.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

done

On the topic of Acid Police he tried to scam me directly on a private sale of some Genesis carts and I have absolutely no doubt he was doing things like this constantly, on multiple forums. Nobody honest demands Paypal gift payment. The group buys and stuff were just the most public face of it so it's what people remember but he was always doing smaller private stuff too. He got banned from IRC for a similar thing

edit: Am I misgendering Acid Police? I keep seeing them refered to as "her" but they identified as a dude to me and their paypal account/address was in a dude's name. I think they suck for what they did but it's not my intention to dis them in that way.

I'm almost positive AP was a she, due to various things people've said and some private conversation I had with her about some exchange we did [which actually went smoothly, apparently I was fortunate]

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

Candy cab progress update:

-Took the control panel apart to gut the parts and clean the insides. We've discovered some damage to the frame that connects it to the rest of the cab, so we're debating how to fix that and prevent further damage.

The parts that the cab came with are Korean made Crown buttons and sticks, and they were beat to hell. One of the sticks was missing it's gate completely and had bad drift. Several buttons flatly did not work, and those that did felt weird. I was hoping to replace these parts with japanese parts, but I discovered that the buttons were slightly smaller than your typical 30mm japanese button, and the plastic they snapped into was specifically molded to take these buttons. The joystick also was longer than your typical japanese stick, and had the plastic molded around it.

So I was left with 3 options:

-Buy new Korean parts. I didn't like this for several reasons. The buttons didn't feel all that great, the layout using the slightly smaller buttons felt weird, and paradise arcade didn't have enough of them to fill out my cab. I also hate bat tops.

-Carve out the plastic frame to try and fit japanese parts. I also didn't like this because I would only have one chance to do it and could never go back to its original layout. There's something to be said to keeping this as close to original condition as possible.

-Make my own frame. The material would have to be wood and painted, not stained. I could set up my own custom layout and use any joystick and button combo I like. I could also make the frames modular so I could swap in different joystick layouts, like 3, 4 or 6 buttons.

We've decided to try option 3 first. Here's pics of our test piece:

And here's the original frame and what the buttons/joystick were like

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the power supply and clean it as well as drill out an astro city layout into the panel.

I would just make 1 and buy a reco pcb like d0s has. You might be able to get someone to print a panel sticker for it if you provide all the dimensions (or make it non adhesive and sandwich it in plexi)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I almost bought that exact type of cab from a guy here in florida but when I learned about Korean joysticks/buttons and the crazy control panels I ended up passing on it, good to see someone is actually putting in the effort to make one of these things usable with good controls. And yeah the Reco PCB is a fantastic piece of hardware

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

d0s posted:

I almost bought that exact type of cab from a guy here in florida but when I learned about Korean joysticks/buttons and the crazy control panels I ended up passing on it, good to see someone is actually putting in the effort to make one of these things usable with good controls. And yeah the Reco PCB is a fantastic piece of hardware

Checked it out and it's almost certainly going in my cab. Thanks for the recommendation!

We got this in today:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Really cool candy cab progress HKR. :allears:

If you're adding stuff to the OP, can you please add this important N64 homebrew?

https://github.com/sanni/controllertest/tree/master/N64-Port

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the cheap option for buying NES/SNES/n64/Genesis game cases in bulk? Ideally I'd like one case that can do all 4. I inherited a nice color laser printer from work and it's time to hit up the cover project and stop letting my carts rattle around in a drawer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of -- is there a good way to print a passable nintendo-style label? I want to move my SD2SNES from the gaudy red translucent plastic it came in, into a regular SFC cartridge. I bought a throw-away Japanese game to scavenge the plastic from, notched the right holes in it, now I just want to come up with a good looking sticker.

I read somewhere that glossy paper with clear packing tape does an okay job simulating nintendo's stickers.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the cheap option for buying NES/SNES/n64/Genesis game cases in bulk? Ideally I'd like one case that can do all 4. I inherited a nice color laser printer from work and it's time to hit up the cover project and stop letting my carts rattle around in a drawer.

For Genesis at least, you know those lots of dozens of sports games that no one buys? Buy 'em.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Really cool candy cab progress HKR. :allears:

If you're adding stuff to the OP, can you please add this important N64 homebrew?

https://github.com/sanni/controllertest/tree/master/N64-Port

Done, and I'm going to add both your and caitlin's link to the full N64 writeup when i get around to doing one

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's something a bit preservation-y my friend who runs The Obscuritory dug up that people who like adventure games, promo materials, early-90s CGI or old Macintosh games might like...

quote:

Here’s a whole bunch of high-resolution art for The Journeyman Project, included with the Mac version of The Journeyman Project Turbo! for promotional purposes.

These two mockup screenshots were also included. You might notice an Address Book in the inventory. Earlier in development, you could pick that up in Agent 5′s apartment (as seen in the 1992 MacWorld preview).

And, of course, there was a picture of the Presto team...

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of -- is there a good way to print a passable nintendo-style label? I want to move my SD2SNES from the gaudy red translucent plastic it came in, into a regular SFC cartridge. I bought a throw-away Japanese game to scavenge the plastic from, notched the right holes in it, now I just want to come up with a good looking sticker.

I read somewhere that glossy paper with clear packing tape does an okay job simulating nintendo's stickers.

Yes, you can buy super high quality photo stick paper. It is pretty expensive per sheet but it isn't like you are going to need tons of it.

Personally I have a high end color laser printer that I have used in conjunction with it, but you can use a decent ink jet or if you really want to do it right take it all to a print shop and get it done on a insane quality piece of hardware.

I printed a few labels out using this method and I can't tell what is and isn't OEM screenprinted unless you really look for it. I was thinking after I got moved I might do some decent labels for some folks, although I'd like to get a die cutter before I would do that. Cutting the labels by hand can be a little tough.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

HKR posted:

Checked it out and it's almost certainly going in my cab. Thanks for the recommendation!

We got this in today:

Nice unit! Do you know if the floppy drive is in working order?

Edit: you might wanna crack that thing open, it looks like the keyboard frame has some bend to it; those function buttons shouldn't be sunken in like that.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 12, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've heard that a lot of people use these:

http://www.mediashelving.com/store/universal-slim-combo-game-full-sleeve

I have no experience with them but I think one type of game (nes?) Doesn't fit quite right or something.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Charles Get-Out posted:

Nice unit! Do you know if the floppy drive is in working order?

Edit: you might wanna crack that thing open, it looks like the keyboard frame has some bend to it; those function buttons shouldn't be sunken in like that.

We can get the unit to format floppies but trying to get stuff written to a floppy so it can read it is proving tougher than normal (We have no idea if our media is good). We also noticed the bent keyboard and will try and straighten that out. Doesn't seem to negatively affect it so if it proves too dangerous to the unit to fix we'll leave as is.

Goal with it is to get a flash cart going and enjoy some hot MSX classics.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If I was going to buy cases now, I'd go with these, as they actually fit both the cartridge and game manual properly without rattling or requiring modification to the case. They are sold by a Coverproject.net contributor and have a complete selection of original cover art images sized to fit, so you can either buy them with art inserts included or blank and print your own: http://www.customgamecases.com

The Universal Game cases linked earlier don't have tabs to secure manuals and will not fit SNES manuals (or the larger NES manuals like Final Fantasy) at all. They also only fit NES games after removing a bunch of plastic tabs with a dremel or flush-cutter.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 12, 2017

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Panel build out proceeding well so far. We made a test cut first:

And it turned out fairly perfect (we didn't account for the joystick hence the horizontal layout of the panel.)

We moved onto the final panel after confirming this worked:

(Not final button colors, just what I had laying around to test with)

Tomorrow we get hardware to mount the sticks and hopefully, if the weather dries out, we get to paint it.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

HKR posted:

We can get the unit to format floppies but trying to get stuff written to a floppy so it can read it is proving tougher than normal (We have no idea if our media is good). We also noticed the bent keyboard and will try and straighten that out. Doesn't seem to negatively affect it so if it proves too dangerous to the unit to fix we'll leave as is.

Goal with it is to get a flash cart going and enjoy some hot MSX classics.

Those model Sony keyboards are membrane style and should be able to support some light corrective bending. Also, you might know this already, but MSX2s use the DD 720kb floppy standard and if you're trying to write media from a PC drive a lot of them will only write HD 1.44mb; some can be tricked into writing for the MSX format if you tape over the index hole, or you can get some DD floppies and a $10 usb drive that will write to them. Sony's also use a close enough pinout to be compatible with major floppy drive emulators, so that's another option.

I'm also going to take a mo to plug my giant effort post I made a while back :v: the front half is buying info, but the back half is some tips & resources https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352&pagenumber=56#post468428423

If you guys open it up could you post pics? I'm an MSX fanatic/crazy person and I'm particularly fond of Sony F1X_ models.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

HKR posted:

Panel build out proceeding well so far. We made a test cut first:

This is unbelievably cool and I am insanely jealous of your MSX. :arghfist:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
For years I've considered making a cabinet, but I really just don't have the tools or talent to do it. Anyone know of any reputable cabinet makers (ideally in Michigan area) that do quality cabinets? I see tons of sites with Hyperspin installed, or with X-Arcade sticks built in. I don't need a computer, and my experience with X-Arcade has been that they are poopy quality.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Medullah posted:

For years I've considered making a cabinet, but I really just don't have the tools or talent to do it. Anyone know of any reputable cabinet makers (ideally in Michigan area) that do quality cabinets? I see tons of sites with Hyperspin installed, or with X-Arcade sticks built in. I don't need a computer, and my experience with X-Arcade has been that they are poopy quality.

Honestly just try to find a real cab like HKR did, those Korean cabs are typically pretty cheap. Post want ads on arcade collector forums. People who build cabs are building them for emulator people and tend to use garbage like x-arcade sticks and LCD screens

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

falz posted:

I've heard that a lot of people use these:

http://www.mediashelving.com/store/universal-slim-combo-game-full-sleeve

I have no experience with them but I think one type of game (nes?) Doesn't fit quite right or something.

Nice, thanks! I might get these and deal with cutting tabs since the other ones appear to be in a pre-order status, and I can't really complain for $0.69 per case.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Djarum posted:

Yes, you can buy super high quality photo stick paper. It is pretty expensive per sheet but it isn't like you are going to need tons of it.

Personally I have a high end color laser printer that I have used in conjunction with it, but you can use a decent ink jet or if you really want to do it right take it all to a print shop and get it done on a insane quality piece of hardware.

I printed a few labels out using this method and I can't tell what is and isn't OEM screenprinted unless you really look for it. I was thinking after I got moved I might do some decent labels for some folks, although I'd like to get a die cutter before I would do that. Cutting the labels by hand can be a little tough.

Thanks for the great info. Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/LD-Glossy-Inkjet-Sticker-8-5X11/dp/B000VKV2H4

I'm not seeing many other results for what you mentioned.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the great info. Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/LD-Glossy-Inkjet-Sticker-8-5X11/dp/B000VKV2H4

I'm not seeing many other results for what you mentioned.

I get my stuff from onlinelabels.com they have free samples so you can check several options out before you spend the big bucks to buy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Swell, thanks!

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

What's going on here?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I cant help but think this is one of those horror situations where you blink and the arcade cab's somehow moved a meter closer.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

worthless. posted:

What's going on here?

http://i.imgur.com/P6LpCZc.gifv

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This is how Silent Hill began.

"I'm looking for a candy cab. Just turned seven last month. Short, white shell..."

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
What are the odds that its something boring like someone was moving a bunch of large poo poo or multiple cabs, forgetting to load one into a truck and just drove away and left it there?

Today's poo poo no one cares about news is I finally beat Wario Ware Twisted and I'm rather disappointed in it. The randomizer on it sucks for one. None of the other games in the series have given me the same micro game in a row or 2-3 times in the same section before. Usually I try to 100% complete it since Wario Ware is designed to be, but it feels like I've run out of game long before unlockables and consequently is way, way more grindy and dull. I may not bother this time since there's little challenge to earning them anyways, most are given out at random after a Boss stage, whether you beat it or not. Everything else is alright (the micro games and motion controls etc.) though it kept reminding me of better games in the series. Probably time to put this one away for a while and move on to something else.

I've been cleaning out some poo poo recently too and is anyone in need of broken/disassembled PS2 controllers for parts or something before I junk them? I don't feel like dealing with them any more, I'm stocked well enough with functioning controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Anyone speak moon language?

http://www.ettoday.net/news/20160928/783362.htm

"In the Tainan is the three sections of Yongcheng Road, standing on the road a large-scale game machine, is the fridge and turkey rice after the signs of the bright spot roadblocks, The game arcade suddenly appeared in front of, can not help but let this quiet typhoon night smile, netizen said, "This is to fight it?", There are friends to write "l dragon box" button secret technology "right turn right Press the punch.

At present, due to Meiji fangbo and high tide, Tainan has been flooded the disaster, or please stay at home to observe the typhoon at any time, outdoor strong winds if not necessary to go out to ensure their own safety."

k

• Locked thread