Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
KoW is an infinitely better game but if there is only one person willing to play it...

The only reason I'm investing any time or money into it is because there is a GW in town and I can get a game whenever I want :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Everyone should play Blood Bowl.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

The only reason I'm investing any time or money into it is because there is a GW in town and I can get a game whenever I want :/

no wargaming is better than bad wargaming

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

no wargaming is better than bad wargaming

Honestly this is a bridge too far for me. I already own most of this poo poo so whatever.

The Sylvaneth I bought are financed by store credit and selling off my NIB Tomb Kings for unreasonable prices.

They also bought me a new set of golf clubs. Tomb King prices are insane.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Counter argument: Everyone should play Aetherium.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Don't you think you're jumping the gun a little? April 1st is still weeks away.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
all I know about blood bowl it sounds like a bad game even when described by people who obviously like it

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

all I know about blood bowl it sounds like a bad game even when described by people who obviously like it

Pretty much.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

...Is that the new marines? Are the new gullimarines just the old marines but not hosed-up scalewise? :psyduck:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Yep

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I love Blood Bowl, but it is definitely not for everyone.

I play Vampires and Ogres so I also hate being a winner. (One of the reasons I play Xenos too)

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I play Dwarves, because I like winning and also hate the idea of anyone else having fun or cool stuff happening in a game I am playing.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are you accusing China of making AoS popular?

AoS started to pick up the very second I saw Chinese recasters start to produce models for it.

Yeah I'm going there

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Chinese recasters

We... we did this, it's our fault :negative:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Relatedly, if all they're doing with the "new marines" is "fix" the scale of Space Marines then they should stop listening to people who think the scale of Space Marines is super bad. Like, look at a person in a motorcycle helmet. Of course the "scale" of their body looks wrong. Now put them in a suit of body armor which is as ridiculously padded as a motorcycle helmet and it makes more sense, even if you don't account for the necessities of scale in miniatures and making them look good on a tabletop or shelf.

About the only real issue is how small they are compared to guardsmen but going by that promotion they had a while back where you could win a stack of models "as big" as a space marine and it was 180 centimetres tall, they don't think Space Marines are all that tall anyway - that's slightly above average in a lot of Europe and exactly average in my own country. Who cares if guardsmen, often the cream of humanity, manage to be slightly smaller than some countries' average size at that point.

Also the story reason of "a Primarch woke up and magically discovered how to make Space Marines a bit bigger" is silly to begin with given what we know of the heresy and the 40k Guilliman looks like Mike Pence.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Perry's still kickin' goals post-GW

This looks neato

quote:

TravelBattle is a complete table top miniatures game in a box.
It is intended for gamers who have limited space, or those who are traveling on a long journey or holiday and need a gaming fix!
All the playing pieces are made of coloured plastic, and include two 3 dimensional green terrain boards with separate woods, grey buildings and red and blue armies. The size of the miniatures is 8mm.
The two terrain boards are designed to be placed together on any edge, giving the potential for 16 different battlefields. The 1" grid marked on the boards excludes the need for rulers to be used in the game.
The simple rules system should allow a game to played within an hour.
The two armies are generic Napoleonic forces of equal size and composition which make up three brigades for each side. There is a simple painting guide in case you which to enhance your armies and terrain boards.

Contents:
160 x Infantry
24 x Cavalry
4 x Guns and 12 crew
6 x Brigadiers
2 x 10" 3D Terrain boards
6 x Buildings
4 x Dice
1 x Set of rules

£50.00

Minis, terrain, and boards manufactured by Renedra, available to buy in person at Salute

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=3637

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

gotta be a shop, the base is fractionally higher than the guardsmen - AFAIK base height doesn't vary does it?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

spectralent posted:

...Is that the new marines? Are the new gullimarines just the old marines but not hosed-up scalewise? :psyduck:

It had not occurred to me this was a new marine. I just thought it was a GW marine next to some other 28mm dude with a funny surprised look on his face.

The big reimagining of marines is simply scale creep then. Should have seen that coming.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

gotta be a shop, the base is fractionally higher than the guardsmen - AFAIK base height doesn't vary does it?

I just checked and the new 32mm bases are slightly taller than 25mm ones.

Still, props to GW for attempting to invalidate all those 'truescale' Marine armies out there...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

LordAba posted:

Counter argument: Everyone should play Aetherium.
:agreed: Aetherium is cool and good. We played our first game with a House Ikaru force a while back; they are bizarre and cool and some of the unit interactions were intriguing in unexpected ways.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Zark the Damned posted:

Still, props to GW for attempting to invalidate all those 'truescale' Marine armies out there...
People have been asking for truescale Marines for decades, putting hours of work into converting them from dozens of kits. And now they're happening, except they're not normal Marines, they're new super Marines so your lovingly-built "truescale Marines" aren't canon, fucker.

I love you Games Workshop.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Upscaling Marines also means nearly all of the third party stuff is now useless for their new product line.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

NTRabbit posted:

Perry's still kickin' goals post-GW

This looks neato

Minis, terrain, and boards manufactured by Renedra, available to buy in person at Salute

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=3637

Yeah that thing looks really cool and I sorta want it, despite having never played a historical before.

Any word on how the rules are? I really only know Perry from the really well-priced models.

Edit: gently caress you could just play Kings of War on there... Mantic wrote rules for smaller 8mm/10mm scale models, right?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Drone posted:

Yeah that thing looks really cool and I sorta want it, despite having never played a historical before.

Any word on how the rules are? I really only know Perry from the really well-priced models.

Edit: gently caress you could just play Kings of War on there... Mantic wrote rules for smaller 8mm/10mm scale models, right?

They didn't need to, you just take the same rules and scale down the measurements accordingly, or for a full sized table you just put lots of tiny minis in the regular sized bases.

Don't think anyone has seen the Parry rules yet.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Crackbone posted:

Upscaling Marines also means nearly all of the third party stuff is now useless for their new product line.

All the third party producers will have new stuff available in weeks.

Also the shoulder pads and heads appear a similar size and that is the majority of 3rd party bits.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

All the third party producers will have new stuff available in weeks.

Also the shoulder pads and heads appear a similar size and that is the majority of 3rd party bits.

If true this just furthers how little GW understand their own market and copy right laws. lol

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Sir Teabag posted:

If true this just furthers how little GW understand their own market and copy right laws. lol

Keeping them compatible means the current plastic space marine upgrade sprues and all forgeworld shoulder pad sets stay useable.

This isn't going to be about screwing people selling 3rd party not bolters with drum mags.

It will be about bigger, easier to assemble marines to appeal to kids combined with a new streamlined rules set.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ilor posted:

:agreed: Aetherium is cool and good. We played our first game with a House Ikaru force a while back; they are bizarre and cool and some of the unit interactions were intriguing in unexpected ways.

Aetherium also looks dope but nobody plays it either.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I would buy and paint a single truescale Ork Kommando. Welp, see ya!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Thundercloud posted:

It will be about bigger, easier to assemble marines to appeal to kids combined with a new streamlined rules set.

Don't forget: it's also about making Space Marine players buy an entirely new army instead of just grabbing one or two new units. No one's going to want to use their old baby Marines next to the new big Marines.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Some of us are fine with the size of our marines. It's all about how you use them. Tactically you see.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Aetherium also looks dope but nobody plays it either.

The difference with Aetherium is that it can be treated as a wargame (buy your army, blah blah) or a boardgame (one guy has a copy that you all play). Given that the box set basically comes with two full armies it can be very easy to introduce.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

One day (read: when I stop playing so much Overwatch and work on my little guys again) I will do basically that with Dark Age. I have all the Kukulkani figures and a handful of CORE, so I'll have two armies. Maybe I'll even do Prevailers so I can change things up.

All in all, I like meeting cool people and then playing games with them a lot more than trying to play games hoping I meet cool people.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

LordAba posted:

The difference with Aetherium is that it can be treated as a wargame (buy your army, blah blah) or a boardgame (one guy has a copy that you all play). Given that the box set basically comes with two full armies it can be very easy to introduce.

Your avatar is killer, where do you even find sweet Strange Journey art like that?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Sir Teabag posted:

Some of us are fine with the size of our marines. It's all about how you use them. Tactically you see.

I have RTB01 plastics in my armies. Idgaf how much scale creep GW does. Imma using my old stuff for as long as I play with plastic spacemans.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Corvus Belli apparently released a new Infinity miniature that is a fat dude chowing down on a box of takeaway Chinese fastfood, and it's pretty great.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I think the package it comes in also looks like a take out box

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It does, and a little menu for Lo Pans noodles I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh good. I was looking for a preorder link for that thing, but I'll ask if I can get it through my LGS instead too.

• Locked thread