Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

Straight to the character assassination.

It's a common refuge. Go for it. Have fun.

You can't assassinate your character since it doesn't actually exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

Straight to the character assassination.

It's a common refuge. Go for it. Have fun.

"people who vote republican are in fact so evil it blots out everything else they do. me? oh, i volunteer for a failing far-left circlejerk society and do internet activism. my conscience is clear."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
At worst, my activities round down to zero.

Republicans do very real harm every day, as "truth is in the middle, both parties are the same" folks like you are being so forcefully reminded in the current administration.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The obvious explanation for why religious people would be more traditional is that religion is traditional and atheism is not, and nowhere has mass atheism been a phenomenon long enough to become traditional and thus for conservatives to flock to it. But this would suggest that religion is ultimately a neutral force rather than an absolutely good or bad one, and most people would rather not think in such a ternary logic.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Brainiac Five posted:

The obvious explanation for why religious people would be more traditional is that religion is traditional and atheism is not, and nowhere has mass atheism been a phenomenon long enough to become traditional and thus for conservatives to flock to it. But this would suggest that religion is ultimately a neutral force rather than an absolutely good or bad one, and most people would rather not think in such a ternary logic.

You don't think "conservative" ought apply to ancient institutions resistant to change?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

At worst, my activities round down to zero.

Republicans do very real harm every day, as "truth is in the middle, both parties are the same" folks like you are being so forcefully reminded in the current administration.

you cast your vote in 2012 in a way that you knew would make the election of a republican more likely

by your completely retarded calculus, the most centrist Obama in 2012 is more moral than you can ever be

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

You don't think "conservative" ought apply to ancient institutions resistant to change?

I think rigged questions are one of the few good arguments for the death penalty.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Jesus, via Matthew 43 - 48 posted:

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Appropriately, this is today's (Saturday) gospel reading. Radical Love is a hell of a drug, I tell you.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

you cast your vote in 2012 in a way that you knew would make the election of a republican more likely

by your completely retarded calculus, the most centrist Obama in 2012 is more moral than you can ever be

NYC wasn't going to not go Obama.

But letting the centrist Dems know that they can't take my vote for granted is an important message. If they had heeded that lesson in '16 and tried to energize their leftist base as opposed to appealing to Republican suburbanites, they would have won.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

NYC wasn't going to not go Obama.

But letting the centrist Dems know that they can't take my vote for granted is an important message. If they had heeded that lesson in '16 and tried to energize their leftist base as opposed to appealing to Republican suburbanites, they would have won.

people who vote (or don't vote) to empower republicans are fundamentally evil though???

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Brainiac Five posted:

I think rigged questions are one of the few good arguments for the death penalty.

Seriously though, do some research. It isn't leftism that's hostile to religion, it's religion that's hostile to leftism. In America, as Churches go left their membership declines. "Adapt and die" is a very real phenomenon.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
reminder that you're dying on this hill to demonstrate your superiority to a hypothetical christian charity lady

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

people who vote (or don't vote) to empower republicans are fundamentally evil though???

Just people who vote Republican. Not voting is bad but not evil.

It's not hard.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

Just people who vote Republican. Not voting is bad but not evil.

It's not hard.

what a coincidence that your absolutist moral decree conveniently excludes your own personal activity

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

Seriously though, do some research. It isn't leftism that's hostile to religion, it's religion that's hostile to leftism. In America, as Churches go left their membership declines. "Adapt and die" is a very real phenomenon.

What a stunning insight! I have been ripped asunder by your logic!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
We need non voters because they are redeemable. It's not that hard to figure out. Republican voters, on the other hand, should be executed.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

We need non voters because they are redeemable. It's not that hard to figure out. Republican voters, on the other hand, should be executed.

it's me, the morals man

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Nothing immoral about smashing the olds and removing reactionaries through violent class struggle.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

Nothing immoral about smashing the olds and removing reactionaries through violent class struggle.

it's me, the mass-murder morals man

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shbobdb posted:

How am I helping get Trump elected?

Obama '08 was still better than McCain '08 (downticket votes were anti-Republican Dems since I was living in Indiana at the time and while centrist Dems are bad, Republicans of any stripe are an existential threat to the country)

Peta Lindsay '12 was better than Obama '12 and Romney '12 (downticket votes were for lefty single issue stuff like Rent is Too drat High and Juan Bosch legacy since I was in a Dominican neighborhood in the Brox. Juan Bosch is a cool dude and Trujillio is a bad dude so supporting his legacy was cool).

Your lady is aiming for good but so what? She's actively doing evil.
To you, in what sense is "doing good things" not 100% the same as "trying to elect progressive governments"? Because to me it seems you're somehow ignoring a bunch of good stuff (in my hypothetical example) over just one, fundamentally inconsequential act: voting.
(It's not like one single vote even mattered, like ever.)

Shbobdb posted:

why not stand for something?
Tolerance, kindness, empathy, communication, humility and pluralism?..

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You're really, really, really stretching here.
I think you're overestimating what I'm saying. I'm not saying these are admirable sentences. I'm saying, they're not quite as bad as they could be.
And I meant "tacit toleration" because there is a difference between what you can read into the Bible, and what you really can't avoid. Like, there's a bunch of rather explicit laws: thou shall not kill, love your neighbor as you love yourself, unless your neighbor looks at your sheep in a funny way, in which case you murder his household, that sort of stuff. But there's no explicit "thou shall keep thy neighbor as thine slave" command. Paulus is commenting on specific problems arising within the Roman world; that doesn't mean he thinks this is what society should look like.
So you can still blame him for not opposing this evil, but I don't think it's appropriate to say he's "pro slavery".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I agree, the individual is quite powerless. That's why it's important for the groups we join as individuals to not be those that actively aid and support evil.

If you join institutions that support xenophobia, wars of choice, racism and economic injustice you are supporting evil. You are evil.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

It isn't leftism that's hostile to religion, it's religion that's hostile to leftism. In America, as Churches go left their membership declines. "Adapt and die" is a very real phenomenon.
This is more complicated, and the Christianity thread was just talking about this very thing the other day. Go check it out. In the meantime, one quick reason for declining membership is that liberalizing churches, in the name of disrupting some old order, tend to also adopt very bad aesthetics in addition to watering down the Christian message. And by watering down I mean stuff like "I'm OK, you're OK, we're all OK; I mean we're sinners, sure, but we're OK. We love everyone! Here's a sports analogy!"​ all relayed in a room that looks like a cafeteria with pews.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

I agree, the individual is quite powerless. That's why it's important for the groups we join as individuals to not be those that actively aid and support evil.

If you join institutions that support xenophobia, wars of choice, racism and economic injustice you are supporting evil. You are evil.

what if you propose the death of tens of millions of people as part of your political platform

(it's you, you're the mass murderer)

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Cingulate posted:

This one read more like a weirdly sex-negative thing to me than allowing men to cheat on their wives.

Not Jesus' words. Also, there's probably a bunch of context. I assume this was aimed at slaves within Roman cities, whose lives were often fairly decent.
Not to say this one is a paragraph I sympathize with. Ultimately, it seems to come from a very quietist spirit of converting people to the faith while curtailing the social and political aspects, to the extent that even the fact of slavery is tacitly tolerated.

Obama drone striked a bunch of weddings. Assuming you voted for Obama, do I get to put these on your bill?

And again, what ethical system are you coming from?

That's one of many quotes where weird sex things just so happen to never mention that male infidelity is a also a bad thing. It's bad enough that sleeping with that cheating woman later also constitutes adultery for her new partner. It's almost like women's "purity" was more important than men's, and that theme exists throughout the entire Bible, and still functions in most Christian sects today.

Jesus never said that slavery was a bad thing, despite moralizing in most of his sermons. Also the surrounding writings in both Old Testament and New promote slavery as an acceptable culture norm. This was the prevailing theocratic consensus until the 18th century, and it's disingenuous to claim that there was some overarching abolitionist movement from early Christians to the Enlightenment.

This also constitutes more of the rhetorical shifting I was mentioning. Jesus was God, and therefore would never do something like accept slavery as an ok norm. He spoke spiritually about the liberation of the soul and God's equal love for all people. So of course it's not fair to say that Jesus was cool with slavery.

But when the Bible says slavery is ok, that's just a social structure issue in that the Roman and ancient cultures had slavery all over the place and that was a reality of society.

You get to have it both ways every time, and that's why atheists have an issue with religious arguments.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bolocko posted:

This is more complicated, and the Christianity thread was just talking about this very thing the other day. Go check it out. In the meantime, one quick reason for declining membership is that liberalizing churches, in the name of disrupting some old order, tend to also adopt very bad aesthetics in addition to watering down the Christian message. And by watering down I mean stuff like "I'm OK, you're OK, we're all OK; I mean we're sinners, sure, but we're OK. We love everyone! Here's a sports analogy!"​ all relayed in a room that looks like a cafeteria with pews.

So you end up with a toothless institution unable to enact positive change.

Why should we try to rehabilitate it?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

So you end up with a toothless institution unable to enact positive change.

Why should we try to rehabilitate it?

reminder that you support the execution of tens of millions of people

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Renouncing their reactionary views in struggle sessions has prevented and hopefully will prevent unnecessary deaths.

Advances in agriculture will also help prevent some of the more regrettable episodes.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure I get what point exactly you're making. I see my argument didn't convince you, but what exactly would you say? That the Bible is pro-slavery? That Jesus was?

Shbobdb posted:

Are there multiple such groups? What about Doctors Without Borders, is joining them good? What about Amnesty International? What if I'm a member of these two, but also voted Romney in 2012? Irredeemably evil?

And really, how much do you think your individual contribution to e.g. the Dems matters? Divide your vote by 60 million, and then throw it away, because you lost. So what's your impact on the world? How does this really compare to somebody who saves 12 children from going blind due to a neglected tropical disease by contributing to Sightsavers?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bolocko posted:

Having read through it, it seems like people are having a hard time reconciling their political views with their Church. It's a classic issue with the existentialist underpinnings of our postmodern society. "Experience precedes essence" so you end up with a bunch of leftists trying to read or create leftism in a reactionary system and failing to do so or succeeding only insofar as they create a personal vanity project.

They'd be better off putting down their bibles, staying away from their congregations and doing pretty much anything else.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Please note also that while religious liberal/conservative and American political liberal/conservative categories often overlap, they are very different things.

EDIT:

Shbobdb posted:

They'd be better off putting down their bibles, staying away from their congregations and doing pretty much anything else.
Yeah, we get it. Religion is worthless, etc.; literally anything is better than submitting to whatever image you possess of the religious experience.

Bolocko fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 12, 2017

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shbobdb posted:

Renouncing their reactionary views in struggle sessions has prevented and hopefully will prevent unnecessary deaths.

Advances in agriculture will also help prevent some of the more regrettable episodes.
Incidentally ...

Norman Borlaug posted:

Civilization as it is known today could not have evolved, nor can it survive, without an adequate food supply. Yet food is something that is taken for granted by most world leaders despite the fact that more than half of the population of the world is hungry. Man seems to insist on ignoring the lessons available from history.

Man's survival, from the time of Adam and Eve until the invention of agriculture, must have been precarious because of his inability to ensure his food supply. During the long, obscure, dimly defined prehistoric period when man lived as a wandering hunter and food gatherer, frequent food shortages must have prevented the development of village civilizations. Under these conditions the growth of human population was also automatically limited by the limitations of food supplies.

That such catastrophes occurred periodically in ancient times is amply clear from numerous biblical references. Thus, the Lord said: "I have smitten you with blasting and mildew."2 "The seed is rotten under their clods, the garners are laid desolate, the barns are broken down; for the corn is withered... The beasts of the field cry also unto thee: for the rivers of waters are dried up, and the fire hath devoured the pastures of the wilderness."3

Plant diseases, drought, desolation, despair were recurrent catastrophes during the ages - and the ancient remedies: supplications to supernatural spirits or gods. And yet, the concept of the "ever-normal granary" appeared in elementary form, as is clear from Pharaoh's dreams and Joseph's interpretation of imminent famine and his preparation for it, as indicated by this quotation from Genesis: "...And the seven years of dearth began to come, according as Joseph had said: and the dearth was in all lands; but in all the land of Egypt there was bread..."4 For his time, Joseph was wise, with the help of his God.

But today we should be far wiser; with the help of our Gods and our science, we must not only increase our food supplies but also insure them against biological and physical catastrophes by international efforts to provide international granaries of reserve food for use in case of need. And these food reserves must be made available to all who need them - and before famine strikes, not afterwards. Man can and must prevent the tragedy of famine in the future instead of merely trying with pious regret to salvage the human wreckage of the famine, as he has so often done in the past. We will be guilty of criminal negligence, without extenuation, if we permit future famines. Humanity cannot tolerate that guilt.

Since man is potentially a rational being, however, I am confident that within the next two decades he will recognize the self-destructive course he steers along the road of irresponsible population growth and will adjust the growth rate to levels which will permit a decent standard of living for all mankind. If man is wise enough to make this decision and if all nations abandon their idolatry of Ares, Mars, and Thor, then Mankind itself should be the recipient of a Nobel Peace Prize which is "to be awarded to the person who has done most to promote brotherhood among the nations".

Then, by developing and applying the scientific and technological skills of the twentieth century for "the well-being of mankind throughout the world", he may still see Isaiah's prophesies come true: "... And the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose... And the parched ground shall become a pool, and the thirsty land springs of water..."

And may these words come true!
This is from his Nobel acceptance speech. I am getting the impression he was rather religious.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bolocko posted:

Please note also that while religious liberal/conservative and American political liberal/conservative categories often overlap, they are very different things.

Though as you seem to have agreed, religious institutions are overwhelmingly conservative and what liberal institutions exist are either held together by outside forces (such as racism) or are failing spectacularly.

Believe what you want in private. Nobody cares.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Cingulate posted:

I'm not sure I get what point exactly you're making. I see my argument didn't convince you, but what exactly would you say? That the Bible is pro-slavery? That Jesus was?

I was responding to an assertion that Christianity was the impetus for abolition. I was arguing that isn't the case, and it's kind of bullshit to imply that when Christianity was a pillar holding up institutional slavey in the West.

I would actually say that the Bible is definitely pro-slavery. There is a mountain of textual and historical evidence that supports this. By extension, Jesus was also an enabler of slavery. He had many opportunities to speak out against the evils of slavery, but didn't. He also supported the traditions of the Hebrew people, despite explicitly changing some practices, like sacrifices. I wouldn't say Jesus was going around promoting the enslavement of people, but he certainly didn't seem to be against it either.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

I agreed to no such thing.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Shbobdb posted:

You really, really, really need to go back and reread the history of the French revolution.

"Like Saturn, the Revolution devours its children.”

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bolocko posted:

I agreed to no such thing.

So you think that despite liberal churches failing hard, somehow the church as an institution isn't conservative? I'm not sure how to square that circle.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shbobdb posted:

So you think that despite liberal churches failing hard, somehow the church as an institution isn't conservative? I'm not sure how to square that circle.
I would say Norman Borlaug was a better man than Lenin.
What do you say?

RasperFat posted:

I was responding to an assertion that Christianity was the impetus for abolition.
Well that the Bible is not explicitly abolitionist doesn't show the Bible can't have inspired the abolitionists right? The Bible also doesn't mention stem cell research after all, and IIRC it's actually pretty quiet on the abortion thing.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

RasperFat posted:

I was responding to an assertion that Christianity was the impetus for abolition. I was arguing that isn't the case, and it's kind of bullshit to imply that when Christianity was a pillar holding up institutional slavey in the West.

I would actually say that the Bible is definitely pro-slavery. There is a mountain of textual and historical evidence that supports this. By extension, Jesus was also an enabler of slavery. He had many opportunities to speak out against the evils of slavery, but didn't. He also supported the traditions of the Hebrew people, despite explicitly changing some practices, like sacrifices. I wouldn't say Jesus was going around promoting the enslavement of people, but he certainly didn't seem to be against it either.

The pillar holding up institutional slavery in the West, and in fact the entire world, is the human desire to have other humans do your chores and work for you.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Well that the Bible is not explicitly abolitionist doesn't show the Bible can't have inspired the abolitionists right? The Bible also doesn't mention stem cell research after all, and IIRC it's actually pretty quiet on the abortion thing.

I'm not enough of a Biblical scholar to cite scripture, but it's worth noting that as early as Tertullian we have records of the Church speaking out against abortion:

quote:

In our case, murder being once for all forbidden, we may not destroy even the foetus in the womb, while as yet the human being derives blood from other parts of the body for its sustenance. To hinder a birth is merely a speedier man-killing; nor does it matter whether you take away a life that is born, or destroy one that is coming to the birth. That is a man which is going to be one; you have the fruit already in the seed.

- Apologia 9.6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Cingulate posted:

I would say Norman Borlaug was a better man than Lenin.
What do you say?

You are really grasping at straws here, aren't you?

• Locked thread