Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I played a True Necromancer in 3.5 and I just ignored that, my necromancer's attitude was that dead bodies were parts for automatons that could benefit society.

So much of D&D is "yeah, the book says that, but..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So much of D&D is "yeah, the book says that, but..."

it hit me the other day when i was reading up on the new 5e book just being a bunch of old adventures refitted for 5e the similarities between the way d&d sells itself and internet fandoms sell themselves, it's so much about evoking community history and moods and cute little in-jokes or references and so little about the property itself

so it kinda fits that so much of d&d is 'well in my headcanon necromancy isn't evil' and other begrudging semi-acknowledgments of the property's flaws

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

You posted the wrong image

Never thought I'd end up on the Authoritarian Right, but for T-Swift…

Who are the two women on the left?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

top left is carly rae jepsen, bottom left is grimes(i think)

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Brother Entropy posted:

it hit me the other day when i was reading up on the new 5e book just being a bunch of old adventures refitted for 5e the similarities between the way d&d sells itself and internet fandoms sell themselves, it's so much about evoking community history and moods and cute little in-jokes or references and so little about the property itself

so it kinda fits that so much of d&d is 'well in my headcanon necromancy isn't evil' and other begrudging semi-acknowledgments of the property's flaws

this is not a good way to build a game :negative:

I mean poo poo if the thrust of the thing was "wizards are evil a lot and do a lot of evil poo poo that involves subjugating others in various ways and this is one particularly gross manifestation of that" and applied that to everything evenly including the crazy mind control crap that would at least be consistent in both theme and tone. It's just that they pick it out and say "yep, this one's evil" while gutting it of any context that would make it so.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's also probably evil because like, it's unpleasant to think of your dead grandmother or husband or child walking around without any personality in eternal labor for some shmuck, irl. it's just decidedly gross.

obviously if a culture was raised from day 1 being told that life is for pleasure and luxury and service in death (where you are literally incapable of caring about being exploited) is the postmortem tax you pay for such comfortable life then it'd seem a lot less evil but i think its just people transposing irl morals on top of the game's world without really thinking about it

also the 3.5e thing

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This is why ethically sourced skeletons are important, people.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

lol if you wouldn't sign up to donate your skeleton upon your death to the friendly neighborhood necromancer

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Also, the use of resurrected corpses for labor comes from stories about zombies, where Haitian zombi are fairly transparent metaphors for slavery. Necromancy in culture before the rise of chattel slavery mostly involved communicating with the dead (thus -mancy, indicating it was originally a means of divination), and its immorality was based on whether living people could so peremptorily violate the boundary between life and death without relying on the divine.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Post a public bounty of 3gp each for intact corpses. Watch the local mortality rate spike. Wizards, no sense of right or wrong!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

lol if you wouldn't sign up to donate your skeleton upon your death to the friendly neighborhood necromancer

on a related note I am accepting skeleton donations

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You can have my skeleton after I die, but you gotta catch it first.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

I want to join a regular D&D game done online with roll20 or something like that but I don't know how to play D&D. I have played some Through the Breach (like, 2 sessions) and that's about it. Before I try to join a game and have everyone hate me for my ignorance of rules etc., is there a good primer online that I could read to understand the game a little more? (I am guessing 4e or 5e, whatever is closer to TTB?). I didn't know where to post this.

Apparently this got lost in political compass chat. There are threads for 4E and 5E D&D, and you will probably get better answers there. The 4E thread is usually less volatile than the 5E one. Don't know enough about Through the Breach to say what edition is more similar. If you are into using miniatures, 4E has better rules for it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Countblanc posted:

it's also probably evil because like, it's unpleasant to think of your dead grandmother or husband or child walking around without any personality in eternal labor for some shmuck, irl. it's just decidedly gross.
This is really what it comes down to. "It's gross, therefore it's evil" is the bedrock of the alignment system and a great many of its flaws. You can really see it in the 3e BoVD/BoED, where the prestige classes of the former are mostly "this guy works with bugs, eeeeeewwww! so evil!" and spells are "this stuns a guy and is evil because it hurts! as opposed to this other spell that stuns a guy and has no flavor text!" The latter is basically the big book of "Thing X is always evil, no exceptions, so here is Thing Y that does the exact same loving thing but we made it gold and/or sparkly so it's good now!"

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

oh man remember Poison Except Lawful Good So Paladins Can Use it

I wish I didn't

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Reene posted:

I wish I didn't

haha what

did they at least only work on evil aligned enemies?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

thefakenews posted:

Apparently this got lost in political compass chat. There are threads for 4E and 5E D&D, and you will probably get better answers there. The 4E thread is usually less volatile than the 5E one. Don't know enough about Through the Breach to say what edition is more similar. If you are into using miniatures, 4E has better rules for it.

thanks!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Brother Entropy posted:

haha what

did they at least only work on evil aligned enemies?

The design intent, IIRC, was "demons and devils are immune to poison, so let's make some sparkly gold Not Poisons Really that have the same mechanical function but aren't classed as 'poisons' and aren't considered evil to use, so they can be anti-demon tools." The problem is that they didn't bother to actually restrict the effects of the Not Poisons Really to demons/devils, or evil outsiders, or I think even the evil alignment at all, so it was totally just a get-out-of-alignment-violation-free card.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Countblanc posted:

obviously if a culture was raised from day 1 being told that life is for pleasure and luxury and service in death (where you are literally incapable of caring about being exploited) is the postmortem tax you pay for such comfortable life then it'd seem a lot less evil but i think its just people transposing irl morals on top of the game's world without really thinking about it

Yeah, she was from an Illumian culture that believed the ultimate way to honor your ancestors was to provide them the means to continue assisting the family. (Generally as skeletons, mind. Just because you're necromancers is no excuse to be unsanitary.)

Serf
May 5, 2011

The great thing about skeletons is that they are a renewable resource.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's because modern D&D presumes undead are animated by negative energy, which is bad. I guess maybe because giving something life through the essential force of destruction is wrong on some level? I don't get why it'd work at all though. Positive energy is the energy of restoring life and healing, so you'd think it'd be way easier to animate corpses with it. Eberron even had the deathless creature type for the Undying Court, which were basically undead fueled by positive energy.

Eberron actually answers this!

Negative energy undead are self-sustaining. Negative energy feeds off of life, which is why it's evil, but it also keeps itself going. Fill a body with negative energy and it'll start moving around. Sure, it's immediate instinct is to kill all living creatures, but it's moving around on it's own. Vampires and liches are undead with free will! Sure, they again have to feed off of life, but they can do that on their own.

Positive energy just isn't self-sustaining. It needs a steady stream of energy flowing into it. The Undying Court only exists because Aerenal is one big manifest zone - it's connected TO the plane of positive energy, so that poo poo is just pouring in...in limited amounts. So you can only have so many people on the Undying Court, because they'll run out of positive energy. House Vol, on the other hand, turned their best and brightest into vampires and liches, and sure, they gotta eat someone every so often, but there's no limit to how many of them can turn into vampires and liches. This is also why House Vol was so big on liches; they're the most efficient version of undead. They don't need blood, unlike vampires. They don't need anything. They can just exist literally forever, hermited away. Meanwhile the Undying Court exists, sure, but they can't leave their island, AND they need constant literal prayer to keep that energy flowing into them.

Remember - in 3e and 4e, which are the two Eberron editions, just touching many kinds of undead hurts you. Just being AROUND some others hurts you, too. This is the argument about undead - negative energy is anti-life. It is always a bad thing to have around. Undead are basically powered by radioactive super-toxic waste, and you have to CREATE that waste (or bring it into this world) to make them. 4e liches damage you just by being in the area. That's not the mark of something cool and totally good to have around.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also iirc 3.5 specifically says that uncontrolled mindless undead go around sniffing out life cause that's what the negative energy animating them drives them to do.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Brother Entropy posted:

top left is carly rae jepsen, bottom left is grimes(i think)

Jepsen's EMOTION is one of the best albums of 2015 and I'd highly recommend it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

Never thought I'd end up on the Authoritarian Right, but for T-Swift…

Who are the two women on the left?

Brother Entropy's right. Clockwise from the top left it's Carly Rae Jepsen, Taylor Swift (duh), Lana Del Rey, and Grimes.

Antivehicular posted:

The design intent, IIRC, was "demons and devils are immune to poison, so let's make some sparkly gold Not Poisons Really that have the same mechanical function but aren't classed as 'poisons' and aren't considered evil to use, so they can be anti-demon tools." The problem is that they didn't bother to actually restrict the effects of the Not Poisons Really to demons/devils, or evil outsiders, or I think even the evil alignment at all, so it was totally just a get-out-of-alignment-violation-free card.

The ravages (goodguy poisons) explicitly state they only work on evil creatures. They're still stupid. There's also goodguy diseases in the BoED that are moronic, too.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Eberron actually answers this!

Negative energy undead are self-sustaining. Negative energy feeds off of life, which is why it's evil, but it also keeps itself going. Fill a body with negative energy and it'll start moving around. Sure, it's immediate instinct is to kill all living creatures, but it's moving around on it's own. Vampires and liches are undead with free will! Sure, they again have to feed off of life, but they can do that on their own.

Positive energy just isn't self-sustaining. It needs a steady stream of energy flowing into it. The Undying Court only exists because Aerenal is one big manifest zone - it's connected TO the plane of positive energy, so that poo poo is just pouring in...in limited amounts. So you can only have so many people on the Undying Court, because they'll run out of positive energy. House Vol, on the other hand, turned their best and brightest into vampires and liches, and sure, they gotta eat someone every so often, but there's no limit to how many of them can turn into vampires and liches. This is also why House Vol was so big on liches; they're the most efficient version of undead. They don't need blood, unlike vampires. They don't need anything. They can just exist literally forever, hermited away. Meanwhile the Undying Court exists, sure, but they can't leave their island, AND they need constant literal prayer to keep that energy flowing into them.

Remember - in 3e and 4e, which are the two Eberron editions, just touching many kinds of undead hurts you. Just being AROUND some others hurts you, too. This is the argument about undead - negative energy is anti-life. It is always a bad thing to have around. Undead are basically powered by radioactive super-toxic waste, and you have to CREATE that waste (or bring it into this world) to make them. 4e liches damage you just by being in the area. That's not the mark of something cool and totally good to have around.

That'd be a cool explanation if positive energy were treated as a limited or precious resource in other ways. Or if the deathless template implied that a deathless traveling outside of a positive energy manifest zone ends up siphoning life energy off from the surrounding area for fuel the same way an undead does.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Grimes is pretty cool too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2EJMd7ZN7w

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 12, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Reene posted:

Hey, I remember "you hosed a faerie, which makes you cooler and smarter than other people, true story".

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

How is that CW show about sexy Archies?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Hey, I remember "you hosed a faerie, which makes you cooler and smarter than other people, true story".

And yet not as bad as the evil equivalent.... "lichloved"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

to be fair, that probably does make you cooler than other people

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

And yet not as bad as the evil equivalent.... "lichloved"

Yeah, Lichloved was way worse because it required you to take Evil Brand, one of the worst "feats" in the game, didn't give a Charisma bonus, saving throw bonuses, or skill points.

oh i guess there's having to gently caress a skeleton that was pretty bad too

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Nothing wrong with boning :shrug:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure Elminster made out with a lich once.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Countblanc posted:

to be fair, that probably does make you cooler than other people

coolness levels:

sex with fairies < sex with liches/other skeletal undead < sex with modrons

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Like I was saying, Evil Brand was really bad.

Though I guess it helps you get that bone on in the first place, so there's that.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Ettin posted:

#sexpositive

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ettin posted:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I'm pretty sure Elminster made out with a lich once.

At least two that we know of: Lady Saharel and the Srinshee.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

LongDarkNight posted:

Oh you mean this?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LongDarkNight posted:

It rules

gradenko_2000 posted:

:yeah:

The follow up is good too

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Arivia posted:

At least two that we know of: Lady Saharel and the Srinshee.

My sincere thanks for being the guy who knows which liches Elminster made out with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

After seeing the new King Kong movie I want to run an Agents of Monarch game. Not sure about what system I would use though.

• Locked thread