Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
ffs, I already posted this list twice...

Q_res posted:

That's definitely a 4-4-2, with the 190hp Quad 4.

Starting in the back row, going front-to-back:
ZR-1, 5.0 LX, W41 4-4-2, Vette, Taurus SHO, Plymouth Laser RS Turbo, Shelby Shadow CSX, McLaren Turbo Grand Prix, IROC-Z, Turbo Trans Am.

DJ Commie posted:

He had actual bad opinions, that one is 99% right once you get past the rose-tinted glasses. There were some gems in the 80s, but domestic cars were rarely one.
Many of those cars hold up just fine against the imports they competed with in 89. The ZR1, lovely interior but otherwise fine. 5.0 LX if you accept that it's just a factory lightweight drag car it's fine. The SHO was something truly special in its day, it was both nice and legitimately quick. The Turbo TA, if we're going to treat same year Supra and 300ZX Turbos like something special the TA deserves the same regard. And it won't bankrupt you like the Nissan.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

so that's how horses work :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Powershift posted:

I like that girl.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

BoostCreep posted:

A Facebook friend just posted this today. I have to assume these were the fastest American made cars in 1989?

The world's fastest stock-bodied car is a third-gen F-body.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

It needs a microswitch connected to a speaker system so it makes a startled whinny when you put the nozzle in.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And also fart fire when needed

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And also fart fire when needed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnF2ROKtdMY

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z9R1bvIXPkQ&feature=youtu.be

A muscular 210 panty dropping horsepower! :krad:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

It's rad as hell to see concepts like this become design points for cars afterward. This thing was directly responsible for the 90s Camaros and Firebirds.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I feel like that interior also inspired a lot of the Saturn Sky's

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I lost it at the seats with the plastic bolsters.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I love how even with a hypothetically unlimited budget 1980s GM still couldn't pull off a decent interior.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
"Dramatic isn't it?"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, I miss the late 80s/early 90s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I definitely miss a lot of the styling cues from that era. There was a lot of uniqueness that's just nonexistent now.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I miss being able to A) Comfortably rest my arm on the open window ledge and B) See out well in all directions. :saddowns:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Godholio posted:

I definitely miss a lot of the styling cues from that era. There was a lot of uniqueness that's just nonexistent now.

Blame it on safety regulations. Passenger cars are pretty much all the same now, it mostly comes down to what kind of creases get stamped into the doors or the size of the front grill.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yep. :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WozZKm1szkw

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

xzzy posted:

Blame it on safety regulations. Passenger cars are pretty much all the same now, it mostly comes down to what kind of creases get stamped into the doors or the size of the front grill.

Which is kind of amusing, considering that the safest possible stock-ish-bodied car (and there's only one, the only difference is the between brands is the extreme ends and fake headlight decals) still looks like a mid-'90s design:

To be fair, it doesn't have doors, but on the other hand the windows are big enough to climb in and out through.

Tangential awesome: that beat-to-poo poo car won the Daytona 500. Not that I was expecting the winner of a restrictor-plate race to be pristine, but that poo poo looks like it went through the wringer at Darlington.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure you can reasonably compare a stock car to an actual passenger car as their body work is nothing more than veneer over a massive roll cage.

Also the regulations regarding the external skin are more to protect protect people outside the vehicle than the ones inside. Also aerodynamics.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Yea there's zero comparison between a purpose built from scratch race car and a mass production car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A race series where every car has the exact same body shape down to the millimeter doesn't seem like a good example.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you want to wear a five point harness, fire suit, and a helmet to drive anywhere - and who doesn't - then you can drive a tube frame or monocoque racecar with all of the visibility you ever wanted.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I put on my 6 point harnesses to pick up some bread earlier lol

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

jamal posted:

A race series where every car has the exact same body shape down to the millimeter doesn't seem like a good example.

:thejoke: is that sometime in the late '60s, NASCAR kinda forgot what the "S" meant, and by the '80s was just decals kind of shaped like real-car headlights. (As of the '65 season they turned down the 427 Cammer as a purpose-built racing engine.)

But still, if they can have big windows, real cars should be able to, if only by hiding a rollcage in the excessively thick pillars. Er, the pillars already are a rollcage so big windows are possible, dammit. But costs 20 cents more per piece to make, I guess.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Maybe they realized most of their massive fanbase only gave a poo poo that they are loud as snot and race wheel to wheel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fyodor posted:

Maybe they realized most of their massive fanbase only gave a poo poo that they are loud as snot and race wheel to wheel.

And get into a wreck once or twice per race.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the amount of people who complain that F1 cars aren't as loud as they used to be drives me up a loving wall

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Loud = more powah right

Cant be toppin if your eardrums aint poppin

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm looking forward to the sound of future electric races as we actually push the envelope of high performance in electric drivetrains and associated tech. They're going to make the most incredible screeches when we're operating at the same kind of bleeding, ragged edge as F1 is now with ICE.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm looking forward to the sound of future electric races as we actually push the envelope of high performance in electric drivetrains and associated tech. They're going to make the most incredible screeches when we're operating at the same kind of bleeding, ragged edge as F1 is now with ICE.

Formula E cars are very much my jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXmyE3S1Gls

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Loud = more powah right

Cant be toppin if your eardrums aint poppin

Exact reason people think my car is fast... It's not. It's just loud.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
See also: Chris Harris's Volvo with a bent airbox made a fun noise.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Or every 1995-2005 Civic not owned by grandparents.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

loving raaaaad

https://vk.com/video-54154078_456242149?list=26bdc69cec800d0247

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You were not lying.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJkE9BHBzZo

I want one so bad. K series? Maybe... or maybe I would end up with a rear tube chassis and a extended wheelbase for some more displacement. Seriously my favorite race trim car since I was kid and had a dallar toy car.

tehk fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:catstare:

Holy mother of poo poo.