Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TheHoodedClaw posted:

It's all David Cameron's fault though. A Prime Minister in control of his own party - and he had a decade to do so - would never have allowed such a daft open ended referendum. A rich boy, playing the game of politics as a game, and playing it badly. drat him.

I must admit, I laughed when I heard he quit - he couldn't hack having to face the loving consequences of his actions - just a perfect summation of his political career. He seems to think that just because he's not personally going to pull the trigger, history won't remember him for setting up the gun.

[e]:
1957 - Britain successfully detonates a H-bomb over Malden Island as part of a nuclear testing program.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I don't know why people where surprised when he quit - the referendum was a rejection of a package of reforms he had staked his reputation on and he done got beat.

Standing down was the obvious response

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Pudgy sweaty pig loving oval office.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

kustomkarkommando posted:

I don't know why people where surprised when he quit - the referendum was a rejection of a package of reforms he had staked his reputation on and he done got beat.

Standing down was the obvious response

I think all the stuff like "this isn't a referendum about me" and "I'm not going to quit if I lose" maybe confused some people into thinking he possibly, if you read into it a lot, wasn't going to quit if he lost.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Keep in mind the Mail on Sunday has a different team to the regular mail (they both hate eachother), and was pro-remain. I wouldn't read too much into it. Or read it at all for that matter.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Cameron had also gone on very public record that he wasn't going to be staying much longer either way (terms are like Weetabix). I don't see that specifically as one of his flaws, to decide he couldn't be arsed pushing forward an agenda he didn't want and wasn't going to be seeing through to the end of anyway. Government in the UK is about Brexit now and will be until the end of 2018. Going when he did was probably the right choice tbh.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
Can anyone here advise me on leaving the UK and finding work in another country (Does anyone need to ask for the reason anymore? Treason & Tautology Mayhem's Brexit is Brexit of course)? I have about ten years experience as a domestic and commercial electrician.
My qualifications include: Eleven good GCSEs; Three average A-Levels; City & Guilds 2365 (Was called something else 12 years ago, but is certainly equivalent) with Level 2 and 3 Technical Certificates and NVQ Level 2 in Electrical Installation (I was unable to complete my NVQ 3 because my employer did not have a sufficiently wide variety of industrial installation work to allow me to complete the NVQ); City & Guilds 2394 in Installation Verification; City & Guilds 2395 in Installation Periodic Inspection; City & Guilds 2396 in the Design and Commissioning of Electrical Installations (To be completed in two months); BTEC National Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering; Higher National Diploma (Including Higher National Certificate) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering; Autodesk Autocad Certified User (To be completed in three months).
Can anyone anticipate any employers on the Continent that might be looking to employ a foreigner with these qualifications? Does my lack of a degree present problems? Would my stunning lack of ability to learn foreign languages be a great impediment (Some people are poo poo at maths, others like me are poo poo at languages)? Am I physiologically or genetically predisposed to foreign language obtuseness- or can I develop the skills required to learn a new language? If the Continent is out, then what about Scotland? Would a viable strategy to avoid poverty and maintain my EU citizenship be to look for work in Scotland and move up there, wait for independence, then wait again for Scotland to join the EU? What is the state of the job market up in Scotland? Are employers looking for people with my sort of qualifications?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

spectralent posted:

I think all the stuff like "this isn't a referendum about me" and "I'm not going to quit if I lose" maybe confused some people into thinking he possibly, if you read into it a lot, wasn't going to quit if he lost.

Ah, making the mistake of believing a Tory.

Classic unforced error

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Glad to see the express is leading with stuff about that kid that vanished 15 years ago while her mum and dad were boozing at the bar. Not like there isn't anything else going on in the world worthy of mention.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Seaside Loafer posted:

Glad to see the express is leading with stuff about that kid that vanished 15 years ago while her mum and dad were boozing at the bar. Not like there isn't anything else going on in the world worthy of mention.

The agony of choice for the Express for what makes the frontpage headline; some minor mention of ARE MADDIE, or Paul Burrell former butler of ARE DI getting married.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

Pudgy sweaty pig loving oval office.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lord_Adonis posted:

Can anyone here advise me on leaving the UK and finding work in another country... I have about ten years experience as a domestic and commercial electrician.
You could consider emigrating to Oz - electricians are highly prioritised under their visa/immigration system, so you should be able to move and find work fairly easily:

http://www.visabureau.com/australia/anzsco/jobs/electricians-in-australia.aspx

quote:

If your profession is Electrician (General) in accordance with the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) 3411-11 then you are currently in demand by employers in Australia.

This occupation is listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List (CSOL).

As the occupation features on both lists as an occupation in demand in Australia, it is possible to apply for any of the visas in the General Skilled Migration (GSM) Program.

Visas in this category include the Skilled Independent 189, the Skilled Nominated 190, the Skilled Regional Nominated 489 or the Skilled Regional Sponsored 489 visas. In addition there is also the opportunity of applying for a number of employer sponsored visas if you have a firm offer of employment.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
What about his wish to stay in the eu? To say nothing of the language barrier.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

When I checked a couple of years back Canada was looking for electricians. Might be worth checking out if you think Oz is too hot and you wanna experience the complete opposite side of the scale in terms of weather.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Breath Ray posted:

What about his wish to stay in the eu? To say nothing of the language barrier.

australia is in the eurovision, close enough

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
WA is great for weather and lifestyle but if you are looking for a tolerant pluralistic society where the rights of minorities and in particular immigrants are respected you may want to keep looking.

Germany's probably your best bet in the EU. Other places swinging righter than we are.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I mean, Australia is probably even more full of seething, red-faced racists as the UK is, but the government there gets in on the act as well, so that's nice.
Plus, I assume they've still got that property bubble expanding. And a government that's happy to utterly destroy the Great Barrier Reef in the name of the ECONOMY.

There might be a nice country to go to that isn't full of and run by complete shitstains, but it's not Australia.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Just work as an english speaking sparky for old people in spain how hard is this lol

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jBrereton posted:

Just work as an english speaking sparky for old people in spain how hard is this lol

Probably be a bit harder after Brexit

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Probably be a bit harder after Brexit
People worked abroad in Europe before Brentry.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jBrereton posted:

People worked abroad in Europe before Brentry.

no more empire old chap

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
If you're really worried about it, ring Guy Verhofstadt and get a special badge that says you're one of the good'uns, because the EU negotiation process is just egotistical morons who don't actually care about the public on all sides.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

no more empire old chap
Not even relevant?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lord_Adonis posted:

Can anyone anticipate any employers on the Continent that might be looking to employ a foreigner with these qualifications? Does my lack of a degree present problems? Would my stunning lack of ability to learn foreign languages be a great impediment (Some people are poo poo at maths, others like me are poo poo at languages)? Am I physiologically or genetically predisposed to foreign language obtuseness- or can I develop the skills required to learn a new language? If the Continent is out, then what about Scotland? Would a viable strategy to avoid poverty and maintain my EU citizenship be to look for work in Scotland and move up there, wait for independence, then wait again for Scotland to join the EU? What is the state of the job market up in Scotland? Are employers looking for people with my sort of qualifications?

Scotland would welcome you with open arms. And they are always looking for more electricians, you'll have few problems finding work. Don't go to Australia, it's far too loving racist.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Lord_Adonis posted:

Can anyone anticipate any employers on the Continent that might be looking to employ a foreigner with these qualifications?

TBH you'll need to find some niche cases where either your clients or the company employing you are speaking english already. Probably worth asking around your European colleagues if they know anything useful...

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, if you're desperate for a chance to keep EU citizenship, but can't work other languages, then Scotland is a pretty good shout. Sparkys can always get work.

Whoever suggested Canada is possibly on to something too. Not super not-racist, but likely better than any other english speaking country these days.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
If economic instability and uncertainty are your main concerns, Australia's a solid choice and Scotland is the single worst place to be looking in the developed world - on top of Brexit-related uncertainty, you've got uncertainty over the occurrence, timing, and outcome of a second indyref, then uncertainty over the terms of subsequent EU accession, and then uncertainty over the trading relationship with the UK.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ireland seems a more obvious choice to me than scotland if you want to remain an EU citizen

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
portugal you loving numbskulls

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LemonDrizzle posted:

If economic instability and uncertainty are your main concerns, Australia's a solid choice and Scotland is the single worst place to be looking in the developed world - on top of Brexit-related uncertainty, you've got uncertainty over the occurrence, timing, and outcome of a second indyref, then uncertainty over the terms of subsequent EU accession, and then uncertainty over the trading relationship with the UK.
Also the weather is crap

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Also the weather is crap

The weather isn't the problem. It's much of a muchness with the rest of the UK & he's clearly capable of handling it. Maybe live on the east coast if it's that much of a worry, it's a lot drier in Edinburgh than Glasgow, but tbh Glasgow is a much nicer place to live. The thing to consider is over an hour less sunshine on the winter solstice in Inverness than in London. Winter is dark. If you get affected by SAD then maybe consider that. On the other hand, there's 18 hours of daylight in June & that's really nice, it only gets properly dark for about 3 hours before you are into twilight. Obviously this is all slightly less extreme if you live in Glasgow & Edinburgh than Aberdeen or Inverness or Wick.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Lord_Adonis posted:

If the Continent is out, then what about Scotland? Would a viable strategy to avoid poverty and maintain my EU citizenship be to look for work in Scotland and move up there, wait for independence, then wait again for Scotland to join the EU? What is the state of the job market up in Scotland? Are employers looking for people with my sort of qualifications?

It'd be a viable strategy assuming Scotland goes independent, but that's a big assumption to make right now - though that might change.

As for the job market, a quick google suggests it's pretty good right now for electricians (e.g. here and here).

Niric fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 12, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If Brexit caused the UK to go tits up it would take down an independent Scotland with it - in or out of the EU.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most other places in the EU laugh at Britain's electrical standards like ring mains. I think the most compatible places with the UK way of doing things (on paper) are South Africa, Singapore, and India, although Eskom are a disaster and the latter adds a healthy layer of 'being India' on top of it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is that the House of Commons?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
And here we go

https://twitter.com/ScotTories/status/840828862103748608

Another totally avoidable, utterly unnecessary gift to the Tories from Agent Corbyn.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

The weather isn't the problem. It's much of a muchness with the rest of the UK & he's clearly capable of handling it. Maybe live on the east coast if it's that much of a worry, it's a lot drier in Edinburgh than Glasgow, but tbh Glasgow is a much nicer place to live. The thing to consider is over an hour less sunshine on the winter solstice in Inverness than in London. Winter is dark. If you get affected by SAD then maybe consider that. On the other hand, there's 18 hours of daylight in June & that's really nice, it only gets properly dark for about 3 hours before you are into twilight. Obviously this is all slightly less extreme if you live in Glasgow & Edinburgh than Aberdeen or Inverness or Wick.
If you had the chance to go anywhere (and sparkies do), why suffer the drearyness of Scottish weather?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Nowhere is safe.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

If you had the chance to go anywhere (and sparkies do), why suffer the drearyness of Scottish weather?

I dunno, I'd rather have the weather of Perth, Scotland than Perth, Australia. Can't imagine living in a dry place, it'd be very depressing. Truth is that weather in this country isn't tha bad. Bit damp, very grey, but I'll take occasional dreariness over extremes of hot, cold, wet, dry or winds. Plus, Britain is much less racist than Australia and I'd tend to value something like that quite highly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
At least in Scotland it's rare that the weather forecast includes firestorms the size of Perthshire.

• Locked thread