Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dazat posted:

People are freaking out and dogpiling this guy on Twitter because he brought Automata's metacritic score down from 90 is 89 with his (admittedly stupid) review. I miss the days we just had dudes ragequitting over the fishing mini-game. It was a more innocent time...

Edit: Not NieR, but dozens and dozens of Japanese people leaving 1-star reviews on Amazon for Drakengard 3 after getting Ending A was pretty funny too. It's not a Yoko game without some review shenanigans!

For all the claims Taro Yoko is a sadist, he is equally a masochist. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Bugblatter posted:

I guess in answer to my own question from earlier regarding separating the different routes as they do, I'm now guessing it's largely because they play differently. Route A is mostly JRPG with some Platinum Lite action, Route B is heavy on shmup, and Route C is closest to a normal Platinum title. I've probably made it too clear what I think of the execution on the JRPG subquests and shmup hacking, but the concept itself is solid.

ntan1 posted:

You've clearly hated this game already, while many other people enjoy it. Just stop playing and go post in another thread.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I mean if you're not hating it while you play it, you're not playing a Drakengard game right.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Route B 9S ? am I insane or when I was doing route A did I see a loving huge boar as 2B? Blah blah pod said plants are big now that humans are gone 9S literally says that he wonders if there are any large boars

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

verbal enema posted:

Route B 9S ? am I insane or when I was doing route A did I see a loving huge boar as 2B? Blah blah pod said plants are big now that humans are gone 9S literally says that he wonders if there are any large boars

I fought a v. large boar and I'm still on Route A. Big Pigs.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Minor side quest spoilers:how do I beat the third race? I have max move speed and I still get smoked.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"Play the game to find out how to save"

oh boy

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

"Play the game to find out how to save"

oh boy

Dont play hard mode.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welp got ending A.

Things got really easy half way through that first playthrough when I got the chip that gave me 20% health back on a kill, the chip that gives you a percent of your damage dealt back as health, and another chip that just regenerated health when I went for some time without being hit.

Never had to worry about much. Excited to see where the next playthrough goes.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Night Blade posted:

Dont play hard mode.

This. Redoing the whole level when you die is annoying as gently caress. At least you can switch it back after you finally find the first save point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fadam posted:

Minor side quest spoilers:how do I beat the third race? I have max move speed and I still get smoked.

You need to take advantage of your moveset too, basically. I'd recommend getting a nice evade range up too, and then, assuming you're 2B, equip a light sword to your heavy strikes and then at the start, jump, evade+heavy attack and you should shoot forward and down really quickly. I take the route around the outside on the right. At that point, you can just really sprint up to full speed (with your max move speed still installed ideally), making sure you don't run into something that staggers you. You'll come to a jump. Clear it with an air evade or a pod shoot+jump and then you can use evade to build some momentum and you should beat it at that point. Will take a couple of goes to figure out your path and what not.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 12, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

On 2nd playthrough, having difficulty talking to questgivers. The circle has a red slash through it on just about everyone even after advancing other quests. Sometimes if I mash enough it goes through but its pretty frustrating, any advice?

*ed*

Ahh, apparently despite nobody near me I keep getting stuck "in combat" and that is the reason. I kill everyone in a good radius and then I can talk again. Strange how it never happened in first playthrough.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 12, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

fadam posted:

Go left, not right

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I got the E Ending. (MASSIVE SPOILERS) So since my save data's gone, what's the superboss fight with Emil like?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Taro you're a mean dude.

Route C A2 side Pascal :smith: Can I just... leave and not kill him or anything?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Quick question about route B: Does this route's endgame also trigger during the missile mission like route A? Trying to decide if I should sidequest more or just wrap it up and move onto C.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

alcharagia posted:

I got the E Ending. (MASSIVE SPOILERS) So since my save data's gone, what's the superboss fight with Emil like?

Imagine 6 or 7 giant heads all shooting eye lasers constantly and spitting hundreds of tiny heads. It also has a self destruct timer that will instantly game over you and get ending Y if you don't do something about it. I decided not to erase my file since I had like 17 more endings to go and that fight.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You need to take advantage of your moveset too, basically. I'd recommend getting a nice evade range up too, and then, assuming you're 2B, equip a light sword to your heavy strikes and then at the start, jump, evade+heavy attack and you should shoot forward and down really quickly. I take the route around the outside on the right. At that point, you can just really sprint up to full speed (with your max move speed still installed ideally), making sure you don't run into something that staggers you. You'll come to a jump. Clear it with an air evade or a pod shoot+jump and then you can use evade to build some momentum and you should beat it at that point. Will take a couple of goes to figure out your path and what not.

If you take the route to the left it's almost a direct shot straight to the goal with only a couple jumps and nothing you need to get fancy for. The hardest part is making sure you don't lose much time on the drop since if you mess up and get stunned for a bit there you'll lose too much time regardless of route

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Taro you're a mean dude.

Route C A2 side Pascal :smith: Can I just... leave and not kill him or anything?

Not sure but if you erase their memory they become a merchant in the village that sells machine parts and a new weapon.

Edit-whoops, double post. Sorry about that.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Went ahead and bought this game, just waiting on the PC version to drop. I have a question about all these routes or endings. What's up with that? At first I just assumed the game had a ton of endings and people would just keep replaying but after reading a few more posts without mousing over the spoilers it seems to be more complicated? I don't want to try and google because spoilers. Mostly I'm just concerned about whether I really need some sort of guide to enjoy the game for the first time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's actually really simple and you just continue playing until the game makes it extremely clear that you've finished, which might just happen to be after seeing the credits multiple times

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hrm, so sort of like Chapters with "fake" endings?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

There's joke endings with speedy credits (that, warning, will lose any progress you've made since your last save) and actual endings which will advance you to another story path. Finishing A will start you at the beginning of B path, which then starts you at C path when you're done.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hrm. On average, taking your time how long does it take to do them all? Also a little confused about what you said about joke endings and losing progress in relation to the other stuff. Will they be obvious so you know to save or something like that?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

They're usually for straying from the story or doing something that'd normally be unexpected for the game. They're things like leaving a mission area when something urgent is happening or murdering NPC's that you probably shouldn't. I don't think they're ever not near a save. Since you can save just by being in the area, do it often.

And I took my time and got the five main endings in about 30 hours.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Taro you're a mean dude.

You can, that's what I did and it didn't make me feel all that much better :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dimix posted:

Yeah gotta say that wasn't satisfying at all

I think I'm near the end of the game but I gotta stop, it's loving 7AM goddamn. Major rear end spoilers for C route I just walked into the library from NieR and this game has me just constantly losing my loving poo poo at this point. Like god drat what is happening were there even aliens in the first place? Like I'm trying my best to keep up and failing utterly which is just resulting in me becoming a hollering mess of STOP STOP STOP.

E: This Cannot Continue.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 12, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dimix posted:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah gotta say that wasn't satisfying at all

I think I'm near the end of the game but I gotta stop, it's loving 7AM goddamn. Major rear end spoilers for C route I just walked into the library from NieR and this game has me just constantly losing my loving poo poo at this point. Like god drat what is happening were there even aliens in the first place? Like I'm trying my best to keep up and failing utterly which is just resulting in me becoming a hollering mess of STOP STOP STOP.

E: This Cannot Continue.

If it makes you feel any better, death is the end of his suffering but if you wipe him, he goes back home and rifles through the corpses of the villagers and children bots, gladly selling you chunks of them to upgrade your weapons. He'll also sell you what is essentially the soul of his children, the children's cores, which have no purpose. YOKO TAROOOOO

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 12, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Is there a reason why (late game secret spoilers) Emil's house door won't open? I did the Lunar Tear mission and can still access Kaine's room just fine. Tried accessing it from a couple of the late game chapter selects, but no dice.

I wasn't really even hating on it in that post and have tried focusing on the positive since, as well as trying to help answer other people's questions. I did like Route C and overall I found the game interesting, if flawed and somewhat hellish in parts. I'm glad I finished it.

Hopefully, I don't really have to leave because I have issues with the 9S mechanics and the fetch quests. Route B/C's prologue was a dark time man.

vvv Ah, could've sworn I'd done that. Maybe it didn't carry to chapter select. Thanks!

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 12, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bugblatter posted:

Is there a reason why (late game secret spoilers) Emil's house door won't open? I did the Lunar Tear mission and can still access Kaine's room just fine. Tried accessing it from a couple of the late game chapter selects, but no dice.

I wasn't really even hating on it in that post and have tried focusing on the positive since, as well as trying to help answer other people's questions. I did like Route C and overall I found the game interesting, if flawed and somewhat hellish in parts. I'm glad I finished it.

Hopefully, I don't really have to leave because I have issues with the 9S mechanics and the fetch quests. Route B/C's prologue was a dark time man.

talk to emil again so he invites you to visit

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

vvv Ah, could've sworn I'd done that. Maybe it didn't carry to chapter select. Thanks!
This is it. A bunch of things are reset when you jump chapters and this is one.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay I know I said I was going and this time I really am but I love how dang weird the world is. Yesterday I went fishing in an oil field to catch robot fish introduced to the ecosystem by aliens as part of a plot to wipe out humanity and that wasn't even the strangest thing I did that day.

Oh, and I got over my fear of dying by dying a bunch to some high level jerks I should not have been messing with. Blown up in a big fight by one of those suicide bombers. Trekked back, looked for body, boom, got me again. Third I recovered the body and was instantly hammered into the floor. And then I got it and escaped. Lost some cool chips but it also made me see them as more of a bonus thing for not dying rather than a punishment for dying. A bit like being Embered in DSIII I guess.

Also I found a spear and being able to evade, teleport into the air and then Dragoon some poor robot in the skull is wonderful. And I fished an iron pipe out of the sewer. And found a second pod in the desert. And so on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a panel going on at Pax right now which is a combo of FFXV and NieR.

Related to the credits song in route E.
The choir is all of the developers, including Taro, Saito and Taura. :3:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We asked on social media if there are any questions people would like to ask you (Yoko Taro) and we were overwhelmed, would you like to answer some?

"No".

(Then he said yes)

e: One of the questions is a banepost lmao

Why 2B wears heels
"I was thinking about 10000 years in the past and thought they wouldn't be able to understand what we do now, so it allows me to think freely. In western games, future = big bulky space marine so I thought "why not a girl in heels?". Of course, the biggest reason is that I just like girls."

"When I was rolling around for the T-Shirt video, I had done a bunch of takes and I was very tired. Then Saito (Producer) said do more and I was about to faint so that's why I said "poo poo SQUARE ENIX"."

"NieR isn't the best game, most fun, most pretty (etc etc) but it's like when you are growing up and you remember a girl or boy you liked and they were a little weird but you still think of them fondly, that's the kind of game we were aiming for"

Keiichi Okabe is doing Gladio's theme in the Gladio DLC for FF15 and a version of Battle at the Big Bridge (from FFV).
That's going to be awesome.

Yoko Taro's opinion on that "He is a backstabber!" (Said in English). They're friends from college.

That's the end of anything interesting from the NieR part of the panel.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 12, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is great. Route...uh....C? Spoilers? Look, major loving spoilers

I just built a bunch of robot children a slide and now they are sliding down it in all the time and I did that, I made that happen, and this is a good game and a good world and everything is going to be okay. :shobon:

EDIT: why did I post that oh god why :negative:

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 12, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I beat the game and cried like a bitch during the shooting credits segment. I don't know what it was but all the encouraging messages got to me. I gave up my save for it as I don't mind doing another replay later.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm still playing my first game with 2b(utt). The missile pod is loving incredible and I love this game.

I feel like a dipshit for not playing a platinum game before.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Anyone know where to find Gold Ore consistently, as well as Elaborate Gadgets? I only need those, a Powerup Part M and a Powerup Part L to finish upgrading all my weapons and pods. I got the L from the tower as well as the amusement park rabbit machine, no idea where to find the last M and L though.

One thing I have to say is that I'm surprised at just how small the world is. When I heard 'open world action rpg' I expected something larger.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 12, 2017

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I just built a bunch of robot children a slide and now they are sliding down it in all the time and I did that, I made that happen, and this is a good game and a good world and everything is going to be okay. :shobon:

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

8-Bit Scholar posted:

For the crime of thinking that in a Yoko Taro game, you were sentenced to DRAKENGARD! :kheldragar: