Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

So I finished my VC campaign a couple of days ago and here's my rundown of this game:

Good poo poo:

The voice acting, flavor text and general setting is all amazing. Quest battle speeches are cool (getting there less so), silly things like the Skeleton walking animation, Vargheists swooping down and slamming into units is all really sick. Also I haven't got to play with guns and ranged a bunch yet but the little bit I tried of Empire feels really fun (netting a bunch of guys right in front of a gunline makes me kiss my fingers like an Italian chef).

Also I like the corruption mechanic, I like agents and lords getting wounded over killed most of the time, some of their abilities are really fun, I'm looking forward to trying other races.

Fighting is actually fun, it got a bit repetitive near the very, very end when my strategy was just Grave Guard + Mortis Engine to hold the middle while I slam Hexwraiths, Cairn Wraiths and monsters into the back until they break and all die, but it was really cool.

Weird poo poo:

Magic feels odd, I don't know how to describe it but it felt like they just don't explain the system very well, I didn't even know how to overcast until around 60 turns in and that was because I was reading a random steam thread.

I have no idea what Kremmler and Ghorst were like...for, I picked them because they were Legendary but it feels like they're not very good.

Chaos just felt weird and annoying, especially since I just had Mannfred and his super army lightning strike them to death, it felt like they showed up, made a beeline for me 'because' and I just killed them and then everyone instantly wardecced me right after (I had half a turn of peace).

This one is really strange. But they don't really explain that Undead units are loving scary and tend to cause things to break, and then they exacerbate this problem by making you fight enemy Undead factions first (which are immune to psychology) so you have no idea how morale works unless you read through the documentation and know what Undead's gimmick generally is. I thought they'd have used the Hel Fenn quest battle to explain all this, but they didn't.

Bad poo poo:

The long Campaign Objective, good god. My last 100 turns were just walking obscenely slowly through Dwarf territory to raze the entire badlands while giving the Greenskins several tens of thousand gold per turn so that they might get buff again, the fact I couldn't even hold the regions was just icing on the cake. Regional occupation is good, the fact they ask you to kill a faction whose stuff you can never hold is...less so. (Incidentally I looked at the Empire long campaign and was shocked at how much sense it made. They could've just made the VC's that in reverse and then also kill Brets and Tilea or something. I mean if I play VC again I know to just...kill Dwarfs, but still.

Enemy campaign AI meant my settlements were pretty much forced to go Level 2 Guardhouse, Gibbet and then a freebie (generally money resource building, very rarely a troop building), which just made my economy stall out until I was able to start getting crypts and libraries everywhere. It just felt a bit samey I guess but it was the price to pay so that some random thing didn't just sprint past everything and then raze a settlement for fun.

The Black Coach is the single worst unit I've ever seen, when I used Chariots in Rome 2 this happened, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Varg and Skaeling can go gently caress themselves. Beastmen to a lesser extent, but they actually signed peace with me a bunch so yeah.

No Skaven or Tomb Kings. :smithicide:

Chucat fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I also painted zombies and knights with my dad in like 4th-5th ed

WHOSE THE CASUAL KNOW UMGI

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

basic hitler posted:

I know gently caress-all about Warhammer lore but i've read a lot of wikis and have a friend who read the dan abnett books, the orcs of warhammer and the orks of 40k point to it being a different universe. The presence of magic in warhammer, the absence of true magic in 40k, the fact that none of the races apparently ever existed on terra say they aren't link and any links you might see are more or less easter eggs. It would be cool but even Chaos seems to be depicted fairly differently.

point is it's hard to ignore the official byline of games workshop

There's plenty of magic in 40K

poo poo, I mean, Chaos is a thing and they got wizards

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wait, what is overcast?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Sorcerers, Chaos has Sorcerers which are an entirely different thing. Charismatic and inspiring, not like those nerdy wizards.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

JBP posted:

Wait, what is overcast?

Click a spell twice for a more powerful version of it. The overcast effects vary, some have area of effect added, some do more damage, etc. There's a chance to miscast and do damage to your spellcaster when you do this though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Zzulu posted:

There's plenty of magic in 40K

poo poo, I mean, Chaos is a thing and they got wizards

i thought 40k stuff with psykers and all that was more or less a physical manifestation of the warp/chaos and totally not magic because reasons

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just finished my Carcasspme campaign. I was kind of skeptical of the Fae Enchantress, but oh boy, all the praise she gets is totally deserved, she's really good and a great force multiplier. The most fun campaign I've played in a long time. Also I've been testing a double skill points mod for lords and it totally turned the Enchantress into a monster really quickly. I hope the instant quests mod gets updated soon though.

I think I'm going to try Wurrzag next, with Gejnor's mod, any thoughts about the Bloody Hands campaign?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Angry Lobster posted:

Just finished my Carcasspme campaign. I was kind of skeptical of the Fae Enchantress, but oh boy, all the praise she gets is totally deserved, she's really good and a great force multiplier. The most fun campaign I've played in a long time. Also I've been testing a double skill points mod for lords and it totally turned the Enchantress into a monster really quickly. I hope the instant quests mod gets updated soon though.

I think I'm going to try Wurrzag next, with Gejnor's mod, any thoughts about the Bloody Hands campaign?

Biggest thing to bear in mind with the Bloody Handz is that your starting province is not at all defensible and you can face attacks from all angles (and probably will). I tried to get a second army up and running pretty quickly, and made it a Night Goblin Warboss so I could get lots of cheap and cheerful gobbos to hold the home front while Wurrzag was off conquering to the south and so on.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

basic hitler posted:

i thought 40k stuff with psykers and all that was more or less a physical manifestation of the warp/chaos and totally not magic because reasons
They are effectively the same thing. I mean a psyker utilizing the warp, is still a magic-dude swinging magic-powers around. It's just called something different.

But yeah, stuff like the Albion campaign rewards are just some easter eggs. Back when 40K started as the sci-fi version of Fantasy GW writers put in hints in the fluff that the two settings were connected. But 40K quickly became its own thing and the writers removed those hints around 40K's third edition.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

basic hitler posted:

So i have a tiny bit of steambux (16.99).

I can make up the difference and buy the elves, or i can pick up something else. If you could buy one faction what would it be? I had some responses earlier that indicated chaos was bad, but if anyone is willing i'd like a breakdown of them and some goon opinions, because i tend to trust you guys over the internet when it comes to grand strategy.

I'm leaning towards chaos and elves, but if anyone has a case for the beastmen or something I'd love to hear it. The steam reviews about the Chaos pack seems like a lot of bad blood over the fact sega engages in scummy DLC practices (i don't disagree, these races should've shipped free) but regardless it says nothing to the playstyle or quality of the faction

Beastmen are good, this opinion is insanely dumb.

Vlad and Isabella together is such a powerful start it's hilarious, I don't know who thought it should be rated Hard. Both of them are absolute monsters, especially with the double Vamps that start with Isabella too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

basic hitler posted:

There's also Sorcery where you combine your psychic powers with a bunch of ritual poo poo to achieve other effects.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Game is good.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

I'm leaning towards chaos and elves, but if anyone has a case for the beastmen or something I'd love to hear it. The steam reviews about the Chaos pack seems like a lot of bad blood over the fact sega engages in scummy DLC practices (i don't disagree, these races should've shipped free) but regardless it says nothing to the playstyle or quality of the faction
Only Chaos and Bretonnia should be free, the rest are reasonable.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

There is just no case for taking Chaos over Beastmen. Chaos feels just unfinished.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chucat posted:

The Black Coach is the single worst unit I've ever seen, when I used Chariots in Rome 2 this happened, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Clicked your video, recognized the Rome 1 music. Goddamnit, Jeff van Dyck still works at CA, please make another soundtrack like that you fucker. I'd get a Rome 1 OST mod for Total Hammer in a hearbeat, hell, I'd pay for a DLC that added music on that lavel.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

genericnick posted:

There is just no case for taking Chaos over Beastmen. Chaos feels just unfinished.

I can win with chaos in campaign but beastmen I'm done on turn 30. I don't get how I'm meant to proceed with them. Feels like you start in the middle of nowhere then try to eke out and existence then get smashed by the first concerted effort you face. Which is every effort you face because everything immediately pursues you and never gives up because they're programmed to hate you.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Corrode posted:

Beastmen are good, this opinion is insanely dumb.

Vlad and Isabella together is such a powerful start it's hilarious, I don't know who thought it should be rated Hard. Both of them are absolute monsters, especially with the double Vamps that start with Isabella too.
Get ready for words because the state of dlc and addon conte t in the current year is nothing you can defend and i have words to say about it.

It's only dumb if youre too young to remember what an expansion pack is and what the value of this dlc really is. Its witheld content for later sale chaos being the most egregious but get real it all is. CD Projekt Red knows the value of dlc and expansion content if you want an idea of something thats not a scumbag price-gouge. Sega are dlc scam artists. whether or not the content is good or bad is not the issue, they're just lucky i got the base game for free and had some steambucks to invest in a decent and fun game, because being able to play elves or goatmen isnt actually a deal worth 18 a pop if i had already paid full price for what should've been a complete game. For example Medieval total war viking invasion is an expansion worth paying for. In its day cost as much as a small portion of this loving games full dlc, yet came with a fully new map and several new factions and amounted to more content than everything sega pushes on us to get access to a deliberately hobbled (but good) game.

You seem to be getting gouged and smiling about it? Lots of people do. But people had every right to be mad about what sega does with Total War dlc. The idea that i have to pay as much an expansion cost back then, to play maybe two whole extra races, is a scam. Even if theyre fun to play, sega is scummy as gently caress for doing this and it's entirely indefensible unless you're literally a sega executive who wants to watch his bank account increase.

drat mad about how video game publishers do business.

I still like the game but you're kidding if you think sega actually earned those dlc dollars.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Source your quotes

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

John Charity Spring posted:

That's the one! I love it.

I also love this game so much that I wrote a pretty long explanation of why that is:

Total War: Warhammer - A Love Letter

I tried to touch on stuff the game doesn't do quite as well, because that's important too. And it includes a bunch of screenshots, which I think are pretty good even if not quite as fancy as MilitantBlackGuy's.

Something that stuck out for me from this was you saying Fantasy is surprisingly optimistic for grimdark stuff. That's always been one of the best parts of it; it always feels like the finish line is in sight if the good(ish) guys can make it another century or two.

Too bad GW never saw that.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

basic hitler posted:

Get ready for words because the state of dlc and addon conte t in the current year is nothing you can defend and i have words to say about it.

It's only dumb if youre too young to remember what an expansion pack is and what the value of this dlc really is. Its witheld content for later sale chaos being the most egregious but get real it all is. CD Projekt Red knows the value of dlc and expansion content if you want an idea of something thats not a scumbag price-gouge. Sega are dlc scam artists. whether or not the content is good or bad is not the issue, they're just lucky i got the base game for free and had some steambucks to invest in a decent and fun game, because being able to play elves or goatmen isnt actually a deal worth 18 a pop if i had already paid full price for what should've been a complete game. For example Medieval total war viking invasion is an expansion worth paying for. In its day cost as much as a small portion of this loving games full dlc, yet came with a fully new map and several new factions and amounted to more content than everything sega pushes on us to get access to a deliberately hobbled (but good) game.

You seem to be getting gouged and smiling about it? Lots of people do. But people had every right to be mad about what sega does with Total War dlc. The idea that i have to pay as much an expansion cost back then, to play maybe two whole extra races, is a scam. Even if theyre fun to play, sega is scummy as gently caress for doing this and it's entirely indefensible unless you're literally a sega executive who wants to watch his bank account increase.

I still like the game but you're kidding if you think sega actually earned those dlc dollars.

The game was great at launch without any DLCs added, totally worth the money. You really do just sound like you are whining that you didn't get all factions at once for the same price as you have payed for you AAA games since the late 90s. Would you be willing to pay $30 more and wait 8 months to get all currently released content in one package instead?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

basic hitler posted:

Sega didn't, but CA sure did.

Are you really going to compare the work involved in re-texturing and giving different stats to a human models (i.e.: the work involved in making a new faction in Medieval 1), to the multiple new models, animations, mechanics, SFX and yes, campaign maps involved in the Beastmen and Wood Elves packs? If you were at least rallying against some of the lazier DLC for Empire/Napoleon/Shogun 2/Rome 2/Attila where you got some dudes with different stats and a new hat you'd have kind of a point, if we'd ignore the difference in production costs between 2002 and 2016, that is. Besides, back in 2002 I was a kid with no money, now I am an adult, and U$ 20.00 is a trivial enough amount to spend on my entertainment that I don't care and to be fair I've got more entertainment from each than I've had from similarly priced games, so I'm pretty fine with this deal.

Chaos campaign gameplay still blows, though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I bought The Mongol Invasion, I remember what you got with that. 1.5 new factions you can only play in a separate minicampaign and a few historical battles. No 3d models, no new maps, no new mechanics. (aside from Mongols getting free units) Sold at what adjusting for inflation would be full game price today. No free dlc in the mean time. And I liked it.

Gamers are ridiculously blessed these days. Without the DLC strategy wood elves etc would simply not have been implemented. Our friend would certainly not have gotten the game *for free*.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Night10194 posted:

Something that stuck out for me from this was you saying Fantasy is surprisingly optimistic for grimdark stuff. That's always been one of the best parts of it; it always feels like the finish line is in sight if the good(ish) guys can make it another century or two.

Too bad GW never saw that.

Before playing TW:W and getting to know the Warhammer Fantasy setting at all I kind of assumed that the Empire was more or less a direct equivalent of the Imperium in 40K (helped along by the little I did know, like the witch hunters). But it's really not! The Empire would classify as a reasonably progressive 15th/16th century nation in actual history, whereas 40K's Imperium is just a kind of catholic-fascist nightmare.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The Empire is almost 1:1 the Holy Roman Empire, plus magic and monsters.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

basic hitler posted:

lol which subreddit did you copy paste this from or do you actually think content is free to make and that devs should hand it out free forever because someone bought a game off them years ago?

I'm old enough to remember buying expansion packs. The amount of content you might get in an expac a year or two after lunch was nowhere near what's been released for TWW for free never mind the paid DLCs. The idea that the game was released "hobbled" or that if it weren't for Greedy Sega they'd have launched with every race included or something is lunacy. If you honestly think anyone was going to fund this game getting 16 different races and a map three times the size at launch I have a bridge to sell you. If this stuff wasn't DLC, you wouldn't be getting it free - you'd maybe get it as an expac, probably still not with all the stuff in you think should have been free, but more than likely it just wouldn't get made at all.

This gamer entitlement poo poo is old and boring. You don't have to have all the DLC, devs aren't required to give it to you. If it costs more than you're willing to spend on the game don't buy it. Thousands of people apparently think it is worthwhile though so maybe your teenage rage is misplaced?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Vlex posted:

The Empire is almost 1:1 the Holy Roman Empire, plus magic and monsters.

It seems a bit better than the actual Holy Roman Empire, frankly.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

quick question about invocation of nehek - how come i can use it on vlad like 3 times but then it starts saying "invalid target" ? dude didn't change allegiances. is there some sort of background mechanism to keep it from being spammed or is it a bug?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

albany academy posted:

quick question about invocation of nehek - how come i can use it on vlad like 3 times but then it starts saying "invalid target" ? dude didn't change allegiances. is there some sort of background mechanism to keep it from being spammed or is it a bug?

There is some upper limit for health regen.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

genericnick posted:

There is some upper limit for health regen.

Yeah, after a while you'll see a line on his health bar up to which he can get healed, then after that it'll stop working. If you mouse over the text it says that invalid targets include anything which reaches the healing cap.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

basic hitler posted:

For example Medieval total war viking invasion is an expansion worth paying for.

I started playing this series during medieval 1 and I can tell you that you have some serious rose tinted glasses here.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Sometimes you just gotta chill out and pause to look at the tooltips. If you highlight a spell after left clicking it once it will tell you that you can overcast it again by left clicking, if it's a spell that can be overcasted, and when you overcast it it will tell you what the benefits of overcasting it are. The exact health regen cap is also something you can see when you highlight over a unit on the map

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

basic hitler posted:

I'm gonna assume this is a "source your quotes" moment, but having grown up in the 90's, lol at the thought that you're getting less than we did back then. Brood War gave you like 6 new units total and forced you to buy it if you wanted to keep playing multiplayer (like pretty much all games back then, basically paying for a patch). Sure, there are some scummy devs, but the ones like CA/Paradox (the two main devs that seem to get this hate) in no way require that you buy their poo poo to get the full enjoyment out of their product. The only reason you'd need to buy the DLC for this game is "I think X is cool from what I've seen of them in the base game and would like to give them a try".

I guess what I'm trying to say is:

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Sometimes you just gotta chill out and pause to look at the tooltips. If you highlight a spell after left clicking it once it will tell you that you can overcast it again by left clicking, if it's a spell that can be overcasted, and when you overcast it it will tell you what the benefits of overcasting it are. The exact health regen cap is also something you can see when you highlight over a unit on the map

Ah yeah fair, the part that confused me was it kept saying "valid targets: ally". If it had said "regeneration cap reached" otoh there wouldn't have been any confusion on my part.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Yeah nevermind making money in the gaming industry has become incredibly hard for everyone except shitass mobile games, nevermind the dlc is 100% additive and not required for a fulfilling game experience with the base game, nevermind CA remains dedicated to the game with patches and re-balancing, nevermind it costs CA money to produce DLC, freeLC, and patches......WAHH MY TEN BUX :((((((

If you feel like the dlc is a ripoff (which I could get if you bought chaos and don't play MP) ask for a refund from steam or don't buy more of it but you're entitled to nothing but what you're willing to pay for.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

A whole lotta dumb.

I like how CD Project Red is mentioned as if its the only company who knows how to price DLC's and that CA and SEGA are the Devil or something when there are far far worse practitioners of the DLC industry.

And that doesn't mean i think CA is being terrible with their DLC scheme either, rather the opposite, they are almost as good as CPR since they base their prices pretty fairly on what content you actually get, you do realise why Beastmen and Wood Elves are 18 euroes a pop right? Because they also have their own self contained mini-campaigns, and that takes extra effort to make.

Also if the percieved content value does not match up to the price theres already a precedent for CA ADDING things to the DLC free of charge to make it more worthy of said price.

Chaos recieved 3 new units, made up out of whole cloth, they didn't even exist in the lore! Chaos still needs a revamp in the campaign and CA has mentioned they are willing to do something about it, when they have time.

Beastmen recieved Harpies and an extra Legendary Lord, they didn't exactly stinge on his abilities either nor his look.

Besides that they've almost always had a FLC option added in whenever the newest DLC hits, and its not exactly low effort FLC either so once again very much like CPR.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 12, 2017

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Everyone knows that game developers just hit buttons and presto content it's very easy, also video games are art and artists are supposed to be poor or something. Where's my free poo poo CA? *posts an ascii middle finger Steam review*

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Chucat posted:

The voice acting, flavor text and general setting is all amazing. Quest battle speeches are cool (getting there less so),
So heads up, you can just teleport to the quest battle for a minimal amount of gold. Just do that every time.

basic hitler posted:

The idea that i have to pay as much an expansion cost back then, to play maybe two whole extra races, is a scam.
Some of the most famous, most lauded RTS expansion packs of the 90s gave you way less than two races; see Brood War, Yuri's Revenge, Core Contingency. Sure AOE2: The Conquerors added five new factions, but all the teams in that game were broadly similar anyway. But sure, keep going on about $ega being the devil.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Ok whew, I'm glad other people jumped in because man I was getting my posting gloves ready (they're fingerless)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mordja posted:

So heads up, you can just teleport to the quest battle for a minimal amount of gold. Just do that every time.

Some of the most famous, most lauded RTS expansion packs of the 90s gave you way less than two races; see Brood War, Yuri's Revenge, Core Contingency. Sure AOE2: The Conquerors added five new factions, but all the teams in that game were broadly similar anyway. But sure, keep going on about $ega being the devil.

Seriously, it was a rare expansion back in the day that gave you even one new race. Two new races at expansion pack pricing is a steal. Hell, even Dawn of War only managed that many new races in 2 of their three expansions,(And Necrons/Sisters/Dark Eldar were a bit shoddily done tbh) and DoW 2 was one race per expansion.

• Locked thread