Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Whatever you end up doing remember it isn't your fault. Its great that you have a caring conscious and I fully support that but remember you are a just a person with your own problems and hassles, there is only so much you can do in the hours of the day. If you want to devote your life to caring for others there are a bunch of missionary outposts that would accept you in the Sudan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Taear posted:

I was seeing if there was another step if the hospital she was referred to doesn't have anything to help them. That was all.

Am I missing something or is there a reason you've not been talking to the CMHT rather than your GP or hospital? They can be a bit slow to react, but "suicidal" is the word that gets them to pay attention to you.

A quick google brought up this list for Manchester though I don't know if you're in any of the right areas.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Honestly if you're broke and people keep pouring away your theoretical property while you're trying to work through some kind of massive crisis I would understand being somewhat livid.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

With autism you should definitely specify learning disability as a separate diagnosis if the level of autism impairs the person to the extent that they also have learning disability, characterised by IQ below 70

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know it's not the direction you want to go in, but you don't know what will happen after October, the person who moves in after you may very well report her to the landlord if they don't know her. Council homeless prevention teams (outside of London) are really really good these days. If you have a notice of eviction even with as much as 8 weeks on it, and you can't afford the deposit on private rented, then they can find you accommodation and refer you to your council's crisis fund team who will get you furniture. The help is out there, the problem is that people don't know it exists. I would just stop by your council's housing office and ask for information booklets and give them to your other housemates just in case.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

Honestly if you're broke and people keep pouring away your theoretical property while you're trying to work through some kind of massive crisis I would understand being somewhat livid.

would u say the same thing if they were throwing away her crack?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

jBrereton posted:

Sometimes she's okay with it.
Other times she's super mad.

It sort of depends what's going on.

quote:

Am I missing something or is there a reason you've not been talking to the CMHT rather than your GP or hospital? They can be a bit slow to react, but "suicidal" is the word that gets them to pay attention to you.
I'd never heard of this. We're not in those areas but they're not too far away, thanks!

And the person moving in after me won't be someone we don't know. We rent as a group, effectively as one person. It'd just be someone else we also know replacing me eventually. We lived as a three for a while (without her) and it's fine when everything is "normal" if you understand what I mean there.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Taear posted:

Just saying "Ok we're just going to leave you to it" and she kills herself, what then? Okay great she wouldn't do what was needed to help but that's not a good enough answer when someone you know has killed themselves, you know?

What kind of help do you want her to get? It may be hard to accept but all forms of help for alcoholism, and to a large degree mental illness too, involve some effort on the part of the sufferer. The only way to help someone involuntarily is to have them sectioned and from the sounds of it she isn't at that stage yet. You can't section everyone who threatens to kill themselves while drunk, especially if they have a long history of making threats without ever attempting it.

Taear posted:

But making her homeless isn't an option because man I WOULD be an rear end in a top hat then.

Nobody suggested deliberately making her homeless. They suggested moving out. If that means she wouldn't be able to live there any more then that's a natural human consequence of being a terrible housemate and making other people's lives miserable. No-one can predict what she would do in that situation, there's as much chance it would improve things as it would make them worse. But it wouldn't make you an rear end in a top hat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JFairfax posted:

would u say the same thing if they were throwing away her crack?
Yeah, I could understand someone being livid if you were stealing and throwing away their crack. Or stealing and smoking their crack.

Whether or not it's rational or in their best long term interests is different to whether it's understandable that they'd get a bit miffed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

jabby posted:

What kind of help do you want her to get? It may be hard to accept but all forms of help for alcoholism, and to a large degree mental illness too, involve some effort on the part of the sufferer. The only way to help someone involuntarily is to have them sectioned and from the sounds of it she isn't at that stage yet. You can't section everyone who threatens to kill themselves while drunk, especially if they have a long history of making threats without ever attempting it.

Nobody suggested deliberately making her homeless. They suggested moving out. If that means she wouldn't be able to live there any more then that's a natural human consequence of being a terrible housemate and making other people's lives miserable. No-one can predict what she would do in that situation, there's as much chance it would improve things as it would make them worse. But it wouldn't make you an rear end in a top hat.

Like I say Jabby, I am moving out. In October. The question wasn't so much for me, it was for the others.

I was after something like ookiimarukochan's suggestion.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Namtab posted:

No it isn't, it really isn't. Whoever told you that is wrong.

Source: I am a registered learning disability nurse, trained in learning disabilities. This is my job.

My boss being wrong would not surprise me in the least. I did work with mentally ill rather than disabled adults for a long long time. Now I work with children instead, and it's been [90 days] since someone tried to stab me.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Taear posted:

Like I say Jabby, I am moving out. In October. The question wasn't so much for me, it was for the others.

I was after something like ookiimarukochan's suggestion.

What do you expect the community mental health team to do? They can make a home visit, but I'll tell you now if she's drunk then they won't even bother trying to assess her mental state because it's impossible to do so.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

jabby posted:

What do you expect the community mental health team to do? They can make a home visit, but I'll tell you now if she's drunk then they won't even bother trying to assess her mental state because it's impossible to do so.

If they come early in the day she'll be sober, at least. I think someone who can SEE how she lives and what's going on might do better than her self-reporting.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's not a bad idea, but ultimately you should be very aware that they'll probably want her to stop drinking as well. It's very hard to do much of anything with addiction as a morbidity

E: to be clear, still definitely worth doing. Preferably with her consent to the referral

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Namtab posted:

[X] learning disability, where x is either mild, moderate, severe, profound, other, or unspecified, with 4 extra subdiagnoses for behavioural impairment.

Source: being a learning disability nurse, I work alongside learning disability psychiatrists.

E: well technically it's still officially mental retardation, but nobody uses that.

Mental retardation seems clear enough. Why mess with a winning formula?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Breath Ray posted:

It is a forums rule not to sign your posts.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I don't think you've quite got the hang of this

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

lol

quote:

Tory Liam Fox denies sending controversial tweet while sitting in front of a giant picture of it

He said a newspaper had tweeted his words and taken them out of context. This is untrue

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

A Winning Formula would be a great username.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

Because people in that demographic group find the term retardation offensive, given its use as a slur. It's the same reason why we don't use the word spastic, human being, or the n-word

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Namtab posted:

Because people in that demographic group find the term retardation offensive, given its use as a slur. It's the same reason why we don't use the word spastic, human being, or the n-word

Not to disagree with your broad point but I don't think human being or n-word were ever medical terms though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
nigganometry is however a branch of mathematics / logic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov0ncfiPsMg

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm not saying they were, I was just trying to find words that were once commonly used that aren't anymore because their use is deemed offensive

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
'Negro' might work. It's gone through multiple cycles of being the appropriate term for black people and being wildly inappropriate.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
You could say it's pc gone mad but you probably can't say mad any more either!

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I reckon it's fine to say mad, because mental illness isn't madness. The state of the world in TYOOL 2017 is loving insane, pants-on-head crazy and can readily be described as mad. Anxiety or depression or paranoid schizophrenia on the other hand are mental illnesses and while the world being completely looney tunes can play a role in causing mental illnesses, people suffering from them are not crazy. The world is.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I mean, why shouldn't they do this? The press is apparently willing to let poo poo like this and the £350m bus slide and to continue giving these people airtime, and the public is willing to let it slide and to continue voting for them. There's really no incentive for them to maintain any pretence of not being completely divorced from reality.

On a separate note, I got an email from my lettings agent today; they want me to come sign the contract for next year. Sounds fair enough except my current lease doesn't end until July :stare:
I've never had this happen before - is there anything other than common decency (lol) keeping agents from requiring you to sign for the next year arbitrarily far in advance? Presumably if I say I don't want to sign anything until nearer the date we'll spend the next four months having random people shown round our flat and possibly having to move out.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

TACD posted:

On a separate note, I got an email from my lettings agent today; they want me to come sign the contract for next year. Sounds fair enough except my current lease doesn't end until July :stare:
I've never had this happen before - is there anything other than common decency (lol) keeping agents from requiring you to sign for the next year arbitrarily far in advance? Presumably if I say I don't want to sign anything until nearer the date we'll spend the next four months having random people shown round our flat and possibly having to move out.

They probably want to (significantly) hike your rent up, and are showing you the number in advance so that if you say no, they can start looking for a new tenant

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TACD posted:

I mean, why shouldn't they do this? The press is apparently willing to let poo poo like this and the £350m bus slide and to continue giving these people airtime, and the public is willing to let it slide and to continue voting for them. There's really no incentive for them to maintain any pretence of not being completely divorced from reality.

That sounds rather odd, I wouldn't have thought you'd need to renew your lease until your notice period comes up. IIRC the landlord only has the right to do viewings in the last month before the end of your contract, and has to provide 24 hours notice - you can refuse permission when you receive that notice if it's not convenient. I've certainly asked landlords to reschedule viewings because it wasn't a good time for me. Of course in practice many landlords will try and pull whatever they like and it's up to you how hard you want to stick to your rights.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

I mean, why shouldn't they do this? The press is apparently willing to let poo poo like this and the £350m bus slide
Do you not remember at least half the press and the BBC going apeshit about the boris bus?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

your face

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

jBrereton posted:

Do you not remember at least half the press and the BBC going apeshit about the boris bus?

And a grand amount of good that did

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

You could say it's pc gone mad but you probably can't say mad any more either!

I wouldn't say that bc I'm not a huge oval office

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Voting on the Brexit Bill could all be over tomorrow, apparently.

First, the Commons votes on whether to throw out the Lords amendments (which say i) Parliament must have a meaningful vote on the terms of exit and ii) let EU migrants stay).

If the Commons rejects the amendments then they go back to Lords, which probably won't keep on pushing for them, on the grounds that the Commons is boss. The only way the amendments will be accepted by the Commons is if a significant number of Tories decide to disobey instructions and vote to keep them.

Royal Assent is expected Tuesday (or maybe even tomorrow?) so Brexit becomes real very soon. Assuming the Lords doesn't decide to get in to a standoff with the Commons, at least.

Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell are taking part in a Momentum demo outside Parliament tomorrow to demand that the Commons approves the amendments.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/840906284694134785

A lot of today's newspapers BTW had stories about how the Government is very bad.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/840680371259867136
https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/840678157694976001
https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/840672708966940672

I also enjoyed Heseltine on Peston explaining that Boris, on the show ten minutes previously, had been talking rubbish.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He voted for it
Without amendments.

Now he's taking part in a demo
Demanding amendments.

Lmao

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like good politics to me as Corbyn to me as the press is now firmly up in arms against the Govt.

Well played Corbyn

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So does he have to run inside to actually vote for them in between picketing?

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

So does he have to run inside to actually vote for them in between picketing?

I guess he might do. Its just over the road though!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Small tip:
going straight up cold turkey from deep alcoholism (talking bout the physical dependence not psych) can and will kill. GABA drug withdrawal is both terrifying and deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pissflaps posted:

He voted for it
Without amendments.

Now he's taking part in a demo
Demanding amendments.

Lmao

corby did it again