Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly I picked up Mario Maker for the Wii because I heard it had built-in levels with the user levels as a neat extra, but it turned out that they were about the time it takes to clear SMB so I'd have been much happier with the 3DS version from what I've heard.

Well yeah, the idea is that if you want more than that, you play other people's levels, of which there is no shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda a dumb question, but I don't want to lose money: the Animal Crossing version on the Nintendo eshop (Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Welcome Amibo) is the actual fill game, right? I don't have any Amibos or anything, I just want the game on my system.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, Welcome Amiibo is just the new subtitle they tacked on with the latest patch.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
What Zelda game should I get for my 3DS? Ocarina? Link to the past?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

3D-Zelda: Majora's Mask
2D Zelda: Link Between Worlds

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

AnimalChin posted:

Those two would definitely be my choices if you haven't played them before. The newer games are really good too though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

AnimalChin posted:

Link to the Past for 2D Zelda, OoT for 3D Zelda.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

AnimalChin posted:

A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds, in that order.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

AnimalChin posted:

Yes, also Majora's Mask.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

3D-Zelda: Majora's Mask
2D Zelda: Link Between Worlds

If they've never played a Zelda game, Ocarina of Time should be played before going near Majora's Mask.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ocarina of Time is a great game, but in relation to Majora's Mask, it's homework.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DoctorWhat posted:

Ocarina of Time is a great game, but in relation to Majora's Mask, it's homework.

Yeah, because Majora's Mask is the final exam and will gently caress you up if you don't already know the mechanics from the first game. I mean, it's my favorite Zelda title, but damned if it doesn't assume the player comes with a lot of foreknowledge.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That was the exact analogy I was trying to make. MM is a better game but you won't really "get it" unless you play OOT first. That's why it's such a great sequel.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh okay I see what you mean, I read that and I thought you were like "man playing ocarina of time? that's like doing homework eww"

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Majora's Mask was my first Zelda game and I loved it, still haven't played OoT

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ideally you should play oot first just because part of what's so cool about majoras mask is termina being a fun house mirror version of hyrule

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I used to take notes for Majora's Mask about store opening times, and moments when characters were in certain areas, for quests that I might need to do in the future. I know the Bomber's Notebook actually recorded some of that anyway, but it felt like detective work solving some of the sidequests, especially solving the Sun Mask Kafei/Anju quest, which took me many tries to complete.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Personally, I played and beat MM after finding the into to OOT fairly dull and didn't feel like I missed anything. The game obviously works better with OOT, but it works more than fine on its own, maybe even better than OOT if you want something loser to the Classic formula.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
I have not updated my N3DS since several month, I heard about some possibilities with an older firmware.
Are there any real reasons besides piracy not to update the system? Thanks

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
If you go through the hoops you can do VC injects and not be limited to Nintendo's limited selection of released VC games

That and save backups are pretty good

Edit: Oh also some of the anti-exploit stuff in 11.3 screws with OoT and it runs a bit slower in some parts

Arcon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 12, 2017

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ryoji posted:

I have not updated my N3DS since several month, I heard about some possibilities with an older firmware.

Streaming gameplay on Steam so people not in your monster hunting party can watch is pretty fun

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ryoji posted:

You can back up (and hack) your save files and also install patches and mods, like the one for Fire Emblem Fates and Awakening that does expanded same-sex supports. With the full custom firmware you can stream and record video from your 3DS, and also install custom themes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You can also improve the framerate in older games by forcing them to run in N3DS mode :rice:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Best Buy has Animal Crossing New Leaf and Happy Home Designer for $15 each:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-selects-animal-crossing-new-leaf-welcome-amiibo-nintendo-3ds/5707000.p?skuId=5707000

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/animal-crossing-happy-home-designer-nintendo-3ds/8474119.p?skuId=8474119

they also have AC Amiibo Festival (the bad Wii U party game) with Isabelle & Digby amiibo for $15: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/animal-crossing-amiibo-festival-nintendo-wii-u/9505126.p?skuId=9505126

There are some cheap AC amiibo on the site as well, including Tom Nook and Resetti for $2 each.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 13, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

repiv posted:

You can also improve the framerate in older games by forcing them to run in N3DS mode :rice:

With a caveat that some games do not like this and will straight up crash. You can reset the system and disable this mode then re-enable it later.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wow, is Yo-Kai Watch deader than dead in Japan now or something? Last I heard, Japan was goo goo gaga crazy for Yo-Kai Watch. I was reading the Japan sales on this site and noticed the third game has only sold like 17,000 copies. Compared to Pokémon Sun/Moon, which came out a month earlier, and sold 3.2 million copies.

Edit: oh, nevermind, that specific version of Yokai Watch 3 seems to just be a re-release of the core game from earlier in the year with just a few added features. Makes sense that it didn't sell well.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 15, 2017

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's like every other Level-5 "multimedia" franchise where they pump games and anime and other poo poo out like mad then when it dies they just drop it and make something else and do the exact same thing again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

enojy posted:

Wow, is Yo-Kai Watch deader than dead in Japan now or something? Last I heard, Japan was goo goo gaga crazy for Yo-Kai Watch. I was reading the Japan sales on this site and noticed the third game has only sold like 17,000 copies. Compared to Pokémon Sun/Moon, which came out a month earlier, and sold 3.2 million copies.

The one there is a third 'update' game they pumped out 5 months after the first two versions. Which got a free update that gave some of the features.

But yeah, Yokai is not an evergreen franchise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Level-5's new cross-media franchise, Snack World, kicks off for real next month, and they already announced another cross-media franchise to replace that one after it inevitably burns out, plus they're rebooting Layton and Inazuma Eleven over the next year or so as well.

Just to put Yokai Watch into context, not only have they released three main games plus however many revisions but they also put out an action-RPG spinoff, a Romance of the Three Kingdoms crossover game, a Just Dance game, half a dozen smartphone games and god knows what else alongside all the toys and manga and blah blah blah.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

They announced Snack World like... three years ago? What a weird thing to do.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Would Snack World have Nintendo Bread? I know breads not a snack and all, but a few shareholders I know have been asking for a while.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I have a new (that i just bought) New 3DS XL that randomly dims. Is that bad or some weird feature?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do you have auto brightness turned on?

night slime
May 14, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Do you have auto brightness turned on?

Oh I don't know. I'd check but I'm in the middle of a transfer. Thanks.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I believe it's on by default so that's probably it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Haha yeah, it's probably auto dim. "Random" describes it really well.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Where is the Lady Layton news

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Level-5's new cross-media franchise, Snack World, kicks off for real next month, and they already announced another cross-media franchise to replace that one after it inevitably burns out, plus they're rebooting Layton and Inazuma Eleven over the next year or so as well.

Just to put Yokai Watch into context, not only have they released three main games plus however many revisions but they also put out an action-RPG spinoff, a Romance of the Three Kingdoms crossover game, a Just Dance game, half a dozen smartphone games and god knows what else alongside all the toys and manga and blah blah blah.

Just give us LBX 2, dammit! :negative:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pureauthor posted:

Where is the Lady Layton news

Hino spoke to Famitsu about it this week and basically just reiterated stuff we already know - they're taking a more episodic slice-of-life approach and the relationship between Katrielle and the dog is more comedic than master/student, and there are explicit connections to Layton and Luke that'll establish the game in the broader timeline as you play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

they're taking a more episodic slice-of-life approach and the relationship between Katrielle and the dog is more comedic than master/student
Will anyone resurrect Napoleon?