Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

fargom posted:

I'm not sure why this is a true thing? I'm playing an axe/katana build and tbh most bosses just fall over to R1 R1 R2 axe combo, nothing super fancy. That or just holding R2 to spin like an idiot.

Other than the spin, this is exactly how I play DS1-3.
How good blocking vs dodging is very different and ki pulse means you can combo forever if you practice. It feels pretty different to me at this point, now that I have a few skills to unlock. Enemies also have stamina bars that are very much worth paying attention to which is a nice change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'm not exactly complaining, but on the mission "Of Withered Grass and Yokai," I'm pretty sure I came across a bug. I ran the whole gauntlet and made it to the last two yokai, the tongue dudes, and killed one at the same time as he killed me, and when I reloaded at the shrine and ran back to the third area, the only thing I was met with was my lost Guardian/Amrita and the "Go Forward" thingy. Got the rewards and credit for the sub-mission. Happy it worked out in my favor, but I'm not sure it was suppose to be like that.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Great Centipede was the hardest boss I've fought and I could not for the longest time tell you why.

Then I found out I could block his clacking jaw attack.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also what's the best way to grind out Ochoko Cups

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Turtlicious posted:

Probably Revenants?

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat

Turtlicious posted:

Coop. I've been getting a bunch of them when I find a pub who's able to complete a mission without running face first into a Yoki axe. About four to six or so almost(if not absolutely) every time. And thats ontop of any ochokos found in chests, or on revenants.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'm not exactly complaining, but on the mission "Of Withered Grass and Yokai," I'm pretty sure I came across a bug. I ran the whole gauntlet and made it to the last two yokai, the tongue dudes, and killed one at the same time as he killed me, and when I reloaded at the shrine and ran back to the third area, the only thing I was met with was my lost Guardian/Amrita and the "Go Forward" thingy. Got the rewards and credit for the sub-mission. Happy it worked out in my favor, but I'm not sure it was suppose to be like that.

I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I think they did that to keep people from endlessly grinding revenants. It happened to me on the first bridge mission as well, with the fiend and the cannon skeletons right at the end.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Shadowbag posted:

I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I think they did that to keep people from endlessly grinding revenants. It happened to me on the first bridge mission as well, with the fiend and the cannon skeletons right at the end.

Ah, yeah. That would make sense.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wow, this vampire boss is not fun.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Probably Revenants?

Lay a groundfire in front of a revenant grave and summon them. Let them blow up and stab while they are down. Rinse and repeat.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
YES, spinny chain beats paralysis lady.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Whenever I need money/shards/cups I do that bridge mission in Kinki region with the tengu and the ghost a few times

Risky
May 18, 2003

So, just beat the game and it's still giving me missions. Is this NG now?

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

No, complete the mission with the ship icon and then access NG+ by pressing square on the world map and switching to Way of the Strong.

Shadowbag
Jun 1, 2011

When shitposting, it's always important to properly stretch first.
Soiled Meat
If its called Way of the Strong, yeah, its NG+. Otherwise its still on NG difficulty.

...Though really, those final two side missions are a god drat pain and may as well be NG+.
e: God drat it.

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Whenever I need money/shards/cups I do that bridge mission in Kinki region with the tengu and the ghost a few times

That mission hosed me up until I discovered how relatively easy it is to stack discord on the tengu. gently caress group fights, and gently caress tengu especially. I'm not looking forward to redoing the two tengu throwdown mission.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

I use a Himorogi(?) Branch rather than complete the mission, but yeah Tengu caused me problems for a while.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Shadowbag posted:

That mission hosed me up until I discovered how relatively easy it is to stack discord on the tengu. gently caress group fights, and gently caress tengu especially. I'm not looking forward to redoing the two tengu throwdown mission.

Yeah, any of the dual boss missions are real bad. Like it's real easy to hit-and-run one of them down but it's just so slow and boring. Trying to mix it up just results in so many cheap hits.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
East and West didn't give me any trouble but the other pair is really annoying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ghost cat buddy... :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Digirat posted:

The music cue for that, man

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just got my first green items from the boss.

True Nioh starts here :getin:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is there a goon password for goons who need goon help? I dont need help despite my bad playing. I want to help

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Should I dissasemble equipment or give it to the shrine?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I usually just disassemble. I don't think the amrita you get is that much.

Also, I just beat the final level. I really liked the whole level. The visual design of the level was cool, The lead up with your ninja buddies tearing through yokai was fun, destroying the old boss fights was pretty cathartic, Kelly and Nobunaga were good bosses, and I actually really liked the final boss. It was a really awesome set-piece and I actually thought it was pretty fun. Real fun game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Should I dissasemble equipment or give it to the shrine?

Both. Alternate between stages.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
TACHIBANAAAAAAA. :argh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So what's the logic behind giant frog sticky bombs? I sometimes don't take damages if I dodge at the right time or I don't know

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sticky bombs don't hurt you if you dodge or are blocking right when they blow up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is there a way to reread he debrief after you beat a level? Cuz sometimes you just don't feel like reading that poo poo after the umpteenth loving one shrine run of The Defiled Castle Dj Snake twerk your body remix

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holey moley, upgraded my equipment a bit so I could survive more than one hit from Tachibana and the fight went from frustrating to tense as hell. Absolutely brilliant fight once I survived long enough to understand his combat tells. :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Digirat posted:

Nekodaddy had to return to his home planet

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I finished this for the first time just now. I completed all of the sub and main missions, and did a couple twilight missions. I love how the games plays, and some of the level design is truly great. But I did start to burn out on all the re-used content, and I wonder if the devs would have been better served cutting down the game's length and focusing more time on more enemy types and some better thought-out levels.

A couple fights felt cheap, but generally speaking I think they nailed the boss design. It felt great going slowly from steamrolled to mastering the tells and timing and finally pulling through. It's a little too easy to break the game and become OP, though. The sloth / carnage combo can trivialize any boss-fight. I think they should probably re-balance those spells in a patch. Maybe sloth should be a status effect that bosses have resistance to, and some of them would need to be hit with it 2-4 times before it pops? Maybe it shouldn't last as long? Maybe more magic capacity should be required to equpid it?

In terms of productions values, you can definitely see the games PS3 roots (more so than say, The Last Guardian), and it made me appreciate all the attention to details that FROM put in to Bloodborne and DS3. I don't like the loot system. It made me spend way too much time in my inventory looking to see if numbers were higher, and then spending time doing massive offloads at the blacksmith.

I liked it enough to buy the season pass, so I'm curious to see what they roll out with the three DLC packs.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 12, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So uh, I was at the lillies where the sam eagle guy shows up in the optional temple where the kodama is in the back except this was twilight mode. I saw a revenant that was level 1

Is someone doing a SL1 run :stare:

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 12, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Tons of people, I'm sure. Hair lets you get skills without leveling up.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alan Smithee posted:

So uh, I was at the lillies where the sam eagle guy shows up in the optional temple where the kodama is in the back except this was twilight mode. I saw a revenant that was level 1

Is someone doing a SL1 run :stare:

Several people have done SL1 runs.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Meeting on the Other Shore is just making me hate this game lol.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Calidus posted:

Do the other stuff and come back with some basic divine equipment. That'll at least level the playing field a little.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't do Meeting on the Other Shore until I was halfway through Way of the Strong.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Seems like missions like those they really expected you to stack your buffs/debuffs. Things that feel OP in regular NG make a lot more sense in NG+.

Also, I just got around behind a secret wall and I guess they're being animated by special talismans. I pulled it off and they just fell over dead. No drops that way though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way the wall is like "OH gently caress YA GOT ME :negative:" when that happens always makes me feel bad.

edit: Haha I didn't realize how super appropriate the shape of that emoticon is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Calidus posted:

I banged my head against it for a while before finishing the final mission, and I got it after a dozen (or 20?) tries. I hit both of them with sloth, buffed with carnage, and went for the ice lady's back. I kept getting one-shotted trying this, but was finally able to pull if off. Once you kill her, the rest of the fight is trivial. She is probably the one boss that sloth really doesn't help a whole lot against, because it doesn't slow down her ranged attacks and it's easy to die really quickly if any of them hit you.

Yuki Onna was probably the toughest boss in the game for me, so throwing in a second dude was pretty rough.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 13, 2017