Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does anyone know what it means when an item in my inventory has a little lens flare type thing on it? It's not the lightning thing because it's only a couple things in my inventory doing it. And it's not the same thing. Like I'll have one knight broadsword and then another knight broadsword that has a flashing thing on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone know what it means when an item in my inventory has a little lens flare type thing on it? It's not the lightning thing because it's only a couple things in my inventory doing it. And it's not the same thing. Like I'll have one knight broadsword and then another knight broadsword that has a flashing thing on it.

It means its at full durability.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i just went through the great plateau again. how many korok seeds are in that place? i found 16 total so far...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So if I'm waiting for a blood moon for Under a Red Moon, how long should I wait after resting at the campfire until I can safely assume it isn't a blood moon and rest again? Is the moon red as soon as you see it, or does it only turn red at a certain point?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Is there any easy way to farm the dragon itms?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you review games on any regular basis and you give less than a 9 to this game, I think you are either trolling to some extent, or don't understand what it means to be objective. Even if for some unknown disconnect you don't like the game personally, you can't, as someone well versed in gaming, play it and say that it is a game that doesn't meet the highest levels in nearly every measurable standard.

I wouldn't even say it's my own personal favorite game to hit in the last 6 months, but I would definitely call it the objectively "best" game released in the last 6 years.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Is there any easy way to farm the dragon itms?

Yes. Each one has a decent place to rest at a campfire and wait for them to show up. For example, for Naydra, hang out on the walls at Lanayru Promenade. She flies through there in the morning and gives you a clear shot. For Farosh, try the Floria Bridge by Lakeside Stable--he flies by the bridge at night.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

It's really weird that this is the first Zelda game I can think of where the "actual dungeons" are my least favorite part of the game

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Harrow posted:

I'm legitimately surprised that you can get the Dark Link outfit without amiibo.

I'm legitimately surprised there's not a Dark Link amiibo yet.

I mean.

Easy recolor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay is there some kind of thing where you're less likely to get a blood moon if you rest at a campfire or something? Jesus christ I've been at this for close to an hour

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The only problem with this game so far us the motion control puzzles

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Harrow posted:

Okay is there some kind of thing where you're less likely to get a blood moon if you rest at a campfire or something? Jesus christ I've been at this for close to an hour

Yes, I don't think you can force it. I went through something like 30 game days while farming for food parts where I would farm from 9:00 to 12:00 then rest until 9:00 again and wasn't able to get one until I just waited for a couple of days to finish completely.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm legitimately surprised there's not a Dark Link amiibo yet.

I mean.

Easy recolor.

There's only ever been one recolored Amiibo (the Famicom/USA color variants for ROB).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

So if I'm waiting for a blood moon for Under a Red Moon, how long should I wait after resting at the campfire until I can safely assume it isn't a blood moon and rest again? Is the moon red as soon as you see it, or does it only turn red at a certain point?

This has to be THE most asked question of the thread. I've read about it 20 times and I haven't even done that quest yet.

Dude go to the one stables near Kakariko and the guy will tell you if there's a blood moon or not. Then you don't have to wait at all.

And yes the blood moon is red as soon as it shows on the horizon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

There's only ever been one recolored Amiibo (the Famicom/USA color variants for ROB).

which is also surprising

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DoctorWhat posted:

Uh what about the 2 color schemes for 8-bit mario? There's red/blue and there's red/brown.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

DoctorWhat posted:

Gold / Silver / Mario series Mario.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
poo poo, you're right. I was thinking of Smash Amiibo, I guess. Still, very rare. Probably a licensing/Brand Management thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also Gold Mega Man.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've played this game for over 50 hours but only have like, 50 shrines. I have no idea how so many of you managed to 100% everything other than the Koroks already.

a.lo posted:

The only problem with this game so far us the motion control puzzles

The ancient golf minigame is a greater abomination than Ganon.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

normal/silver/gold mario also

still, you'd think there would be a lot more recolor figures especially with all the alternate colors in smash bros they could have done, or stuff as simple as Link being all black with red eyes or whatever. or fire mario, the various yoshi colors, etc. i guess it's good they didn't lean into that stuff too much though, getting unique figures is much more fun

speaking of amiibo, it really should have been less of a pain in the rear end to get the special items from them in BotW. like make the outfit pieces into the first three scans of any of the Links, at the very least. i've used those things every day and only gotten the hat from Toon Link and the shirt from 8bit Link. at least i got Ganondorf's sword though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I've played this game for over 50 hours but only have like, 50 shrines. I have no idea how so many of you managed to 100% everything other than the Koroks already.

Same, there's so much poo poo to get distracted doing.

I've got the main quests done but sooooo much side stuff, holy moly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The ancient golf minigame is a greater abomination than Ganon.

I've played it for more than 50 hours :ninja:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
they don't call them great fairies for nothin

they have big hands

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yes. Each one has a decent place to rest at a campfire and wait for them to show up. For example, for Naydra, hang out on the walls at Lanayru Promenade. She flies through there in the morning and gives you a clear shot. For Farosh, try the Floria Bridge by Lakeside Stable--he flies by the bridge at night.

Sounds like there is still a lot of waiting around involved -- may be something to do during the week as a work distraction.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
When you make a recipe for the first time, it should be added to a list of all your discovered recipes, and then whenever you go to a cooking pot, you should see a list of all the recipes you can make with the ingredients you have on hand. Then you should be able to make each one with a button press. When you have a shitload of food and elixirs to cook it gets extremely tedious going in and out of the menus a few dozen times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bardeh posted:

When you make a recipe for the first time, it should be added to a list of all your discovered recipes, and then whenever you go to a cooking pot, you should see a list of all the recipes you can make with the ingredients you have on hand. Then you should be able to make each one with a button press. When you have a shitload of food and elixirs to cook it gets extremely tedious going in and out of the menus a few dozen times.

Agreed.

The crafting system is luckily unrestricted enough it isn't too bad once you get the hang of the general categories, but its kinda silly that you can look at food you've crafted and see the recipe, but if you eat that food; whoops! Forgotten. And a fast-craft would be convenient. Skipping the animation barely even saves time.

But its not a huge problem, I find.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Nowinstock had the 8bit amiibo (that I already have) up for preorder on Amazon yesterday, so I guess they are still making those. Hopefully they make more of the other zelda amiibos.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
If they don't make a Kass amiibo I'm going to be really sad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macintosh HD posted:

If they don't make a Kass amiibo I'm going to be really sad.

I would buy that

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Kirios posted:

Jim's 7/10 review kinda sucks, honestly.

I forgot that guy existed for years until a few weeks ago, when a few of his videos were flagged for removal by Nintendo and his response was to make a video encouraging people to pirate Nintendo games whenever possible. He seems to be about as much of a dull turd as ever, and is a shining example of the inherent inferiority of the Anglo-Saxon race.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I forgot that guy existed for years until a few weeks ago, when a few of his videos were flagged for removal by Nintendo and his response was to make a video encouraging people to pirate Nintendo games whenever possible. He seems to be about as much of a dull turd as ever, and is a shining example of the inherent inferiority of the Anglo-Saxon race.

In his defense, that video was extremely in jest and was entirely about how Nintendo abuses copyright (though, to be fair, like 80% of Jim's videos at this point are about people who abuse copyright, so it's kind of a broken-record thing). It's to the point that he was able to get Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Japan to copyright-flag the same video and come into conflict with one another, which is a little bit baffling.

That said, he dinged Zelda for having towers but didn't do the same for Horizon, so clearly there's a degree of bias informing that particular opinion.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay gently caress this blood moon quest. Nothing I can do will make one trigger and if I'm somewhere else when it triggers there's no way I'm getting to the platform in time. I don't know what the "right" way to do this is.

EDIT: hahaha the Dark Souls trick worked. Turns out as long as I complain about something publicly on a games forum I'll solve it very soon after

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 12, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've seen maybe 5 blood moons in 35-ish hours played.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

i just beat lost woods and i didnt use torch (threw it away and it didnt respawn by time i figured out what i needed to do)
instead I navigated by watching cloud movements instead
:aaaaa: the amount of details in this game

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

TFRazorsaw posted:

Bringing mental health either undermines your point, or has you make said point in a manner utterly repugnant.

Come on. We don't need to sink this low.
Seriously I'm on the second highest therapeutic dose of Zoloft - I'm depressed, not too stupid to play a baby game made for babies. :v:

Let's be real though: its stubbornness that's the issue with reviewers like that. Sometimes you have to figure out how a game wants you to play it and depending on the tutorial design you can feel empowered enough by the game mechanics to do what you want, and I think this game does this well without being condescending and permitting a lot of leeway in terms of puzzle solving and destroying baddies. The trade off is that you have to accept the limits of what the game sets out, like the stamina meter, item durability, etc.. None of that is new to this series or pretty much any game ever, it's about how the game presents itself to the player that can be the issue. Like SS was positively overbearing with its tutorial whereas MM you're given more freedom of movement to understand what's going on and how the in game world was designed to function. I think BoTW strikes a good balance, but compared to MM it's pretty sparse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You can't upgrade the Dark Link set?!

Well, that's worthless :v:

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
So who is this Jim everyone is mentioning

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
the desert boss ganon thing is the most awkward boss fight ive ever seen in a videogame. complete poo poo gameplay at 10fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gently caress yes max stamina :getin: