Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Race Realists posted:

people know i was shitposting when i made that previous post right? :v:

i did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

you are comitting white genocide

And at the same time jizzing!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ive been asked to clarify: 'intelligence' boils down to three basic areas from a cog sci perspective: executive function, symbolic reasoning and visual/spatial reasoning. 'Creativity' and other stuff is part of a general underlying subsystem (daydreaming kinda) that can't be usefully measured, and even if you could, why? Symbolic reasoning includes language, and language exposure (especially decontextualized language if youre a nerd) is the primary driver of cognitive growth. Most of what gets measured as IQ is really just how good you are at symbolic reasoning, and how good you are at symbolic reasoning is almost completely influenced by how much language you get exposed to as a baby/toddler. This is why things like the word gap and native language instruction are so important. Executive function development is also mainly determined by environment and continues to develop until the mid 20s. Executive functioning is how good someone is at decision making, but poor executive functioning doesn't mean stupidity, its usually the result of having learned to make decisions under stress and prioritizing short term survival over long term gains. Visual/spatial reasoning is less well understood because there isn't really a way to test for its development that doesn't involve going through symbolic reasoning first. You need to be able to teach spatial concepts and explain directions for tasks, so usually you're just testing how well someone understood the directions.

From there you can subdivide each broad domain into narrower, more specialized subdomains if you want, but those are the core. 'g' most closely reflects symbolic reasoning (math is just a kind of language with particular rules), and symbolic reasoning is absolutely a product of nurture over nature.

So again, subdividing people based on an arbitrary number that is influenced by their environment rather than strict genetic inheritance is a crock of poo poo. Language exposure will benefit any baby, the more the better, and no one is forever hosed from birth on 'IQ' barring legitimate learning disabilities. Claiming different races have different IQ potentials is wrong as gently caress and at best reflects inherited socioeconomic status and generational language gaps.

Fake edit: The basic mechanism is that babies are only good at one thing: Bayesian statistical analysis. They try to figure out what the hell is going on by trying to guess what will happen next based on what just happened. They learn language by seeing what sounds happen around what things, then assuming those sounds mean those things. Thats why decontextualized language is so important, because talking about things that arent there puts their little brains into overdrive. The more words they hear the better they get at trying to puzzle out meaning, which sticks with them as 'intelligence' for the rest of their lives. Its like lifting weights for the baby brain - its not important that they work out what you're saying, its the effort they put into it is what counts.

And I'd like a large orange drink and some curly fries, thanks.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Not a Step posted:

not about punching nazis :words:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Nazis were big on theories of racial superiority, so, uh, punch anyone who believes in hereditary intelligence? That poo poo is a product of environment.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/ReaganBattalion/status/840948869827592192

War makes for strange allies...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:holymoley:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Helsing posted:

Hmmm

In the social sciences this doesn't sound implausible at all. Remember this paper?

I'm a bit worried about this across all disciplines, we tend to not really do replication experiments anymore cause lol who's gonna pay you to do that poo poo

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Ehh, that kind of depends, plenty of replication of experiments is done in some fields because they need that experiment as a base to do further work

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Grondoth posted:

I'm a bit worried about this across all disciplines, we tend to not really do replication experiments anymore cause lol who's gonna pay you to do that poo poo

This would be less of a problem (though it would still be a serious issue) if social science disciplines like economics, psychology and political science would stop pretending to be hard sciences. Just because you can throw a bunch of math or conduct a controlled experiment doesn't suddenly mean your discipline is now as rigorous and reliable in its predictions as some idealized physics experiment.

A lot of scholars want to create a illusion of greater objectivity and rigor than is actually appropriate for their disciplines. If you make your field opaque and jargonish enough and then throw in some statistical studies you can bamboozle a lot of laymen, even if your sample is actually a bunch of bored undergraduates sitting in a lecture hall and your ultimate conclusion is some none-sense about girls preferring pink because in our distant evolutionary past they picked strawberries.

Years ago I remember a professor commenting on how often he would read poli sci papers where some kind of statistical analysis was seemingly bolted on at the last minute because - presumably - it's really hard to convincingly prove something with prose in 25-30 pages. So if you really want your journal article to seem convincing you toss in some kind of statistical or mathematical element, no matter how flimsy, because that instantly makes the entire exercise look more authoritative. I think you see the same kind of poo poo in psychology sometimes where a weak or questionable argument is supposed to be bolstered by a questionably designed study. After all, scholars are ultimately driven by the need to generate grants or to get their papers cited or become prestigious enough in their field to get hired at a school of their choice or to appear in the media, etc. If a poorly designed study will help convince the rubes that you're an authority then that temptation will be hard for a lot of people to pass up.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

*be me, an Infowars editor ready to upload my new masterpiece*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vO2SyUmek

:cool: jej owned much lil bitch?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pewdiepie/status/840567239539601408

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its hilarious that pewdiepie is going fash

future is weird.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Doesn't look like anything to me

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
whoah

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Pewdiepie has too much money and is too good looking and successful to actually go fash. He'll just coast off the internet shithead money forever, and hell, I don't blame him.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
all it takes is to drop a pepe every once and awhile and thhey come beggin to give me money

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Helsing posted:

This would be less of a problem (though it would still be a serious issue) if social science disciplines like economics, psychology and political science would stop pretending to be hard sciences. Just because you can throw a bunch of math or conduct a controlled experiment doesn't suddenly mean your discipline is now as rigorous and reliable in its predictions as some idealized physics experiment.

A lot of scholars want to create a illusion of greater objectivity and rigor than is actually appropriate for their disciplines. If you make your field opaque and jargonish enough and then throw in some statistical studies you can bamboozle a lot of laymen, even if your sample is actually a bunch of bored undergraduates sitting in a lecture hall and your ultimate conclusion is some none-sense about girls preferring pink because in our distant evolutionary past they picked strawberries.

Years ago I remember a professor commenting on how often he would read poli sci papers where some kind of statistical analysis was seemingly bolted on at the last minute because - presumably - it's really hard to convincingly prove something with prose in 25-30 pages. So if you really want your journal article to seem convincing you toss in some kind of statistical or mathematical element, no matter how flimsy, because that instantly makes the entire exercise look more authoritative. I think you see the same kind of poo poo in psychology sometimes where a weak or questionable argument is supposed to be bolstered by a questionably designed study. After all, scholars are ultimately driven by the need to generate grants or to get their papers cited or become prestigious enough in their field to get hired at a school of their choice or to appear in the media, etc. If a poorly designed study will help convince the rubes that you're an authority then that temptation will be hard for a lot of people to pass up.

neuropsychology is not a hard scientific field

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

neuropsychology is not a hard scientific field

Either Lindsay Graham has stronger opinions on psychology than I realized or you forgot to log off your gimmick account before posting this.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Oh and I'll take a happy meal with extra happy thank you very much

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Helsing posted:

Either Lindsay Graham has stronger opinions on psychology than I realized or you forgot to log off your gimmick account before posting this.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

speaking of youtube celebrities with white nationalist sympathies

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841052231151562752

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841064246834262016

https://twitter.com/comemenism/status/841096090942357505

https://twitter.com/comemenism/status/841099677722431488

quote:

Shaban Jafari (Persian: شعبان جعفری‎‎) (born 1921 in Tehran – died 2006 in Santa Monica, California) often known as Shaban Bimokh (Persian: شعبان بی‌مخ‎‎, "Shaban the Brainless") was an Iranian strongman and practitioner of varzesh-e bastani. A controversial figure in politics, he was instrumental in overthrowing Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadegh's government in 1953 Iranian coup d'état. [1]

lmao

According to JonTron's wikipedia page his middle name is literally Aryan

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

speaking of youtube celebrities with white nationalist sympathies

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841052231151562752

America for Americans! Get the gently caress out Europeans.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
JonTron sucking is... very disappointing to me, the kind of dude who laughed very hard at the time him and egoraptor hosed up goof troop on their like 5th episode and had to start all over

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grondoth posted:

JonTron sucking is... very disappointing to me, the kind of dude who laughed very hard at the time him and egoraptor hosed up goof troop on their like 5th episode and had to start all over

Some people are just born to be idiots, and I think JonTron was saddled with one of the worst possible ethnic, political, and cultural backgrounds.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Steven Crowder crashed the Young Turks panel at SXSW dressed up like Cenk. It wasn't funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMSRAz2VZqk

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lmao jontron is related to a cia stooge?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lmao jontron is related to a cia stooge?

I dunno how many SoCal Iranians are named Jafari, but it's very possible.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Montasque posted:

Steven Crowder crashed the Young Turks panel at SXSW dressed up like Cenk. It wasn't funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV4pHtKe6ZE

Crowder did brownface to impersonate TYT for Sargon

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Montasque posted:

lol there is not a lot of people in there, granted Crowder would bring exactly no one either

lmao Cenk even made him stumble by throwing him off, what a professional comic

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

CortezFantastic posted:

lol there is not a lot of people in there, granted Crowder would bring exactly no one either

lmao Cenk even made him stumble by throwing him off, what a professional comic

Crowder is pissed off that the Young Turks Election night coverage was funnier than anything he'll ever do...

Wait him getting punched in the head by that union dude was pretty loving funny...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the best part is how Crowder mimics Cenk like a child, but when he says "he makes a living by riding my dick" he's too much of a prude to say dick lmao

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
crowder is a good christian boy who doesnt dirty his mouth with foul language.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
no Crowder just realized he is owning himself cause he didn't think

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

that makes me legit sad.
https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841051513212547072

he also defended steve king today when king pretty much said the 14 words.

its sad. i liked jontron alot and thought he got the poo poo end of the stick from people over stupid poo poo(he said some hardware was retarded, and some other poo poo, i forget) he outed himself as right wing a while back but now he has gone full alt right. loving sad because i think he has a hell of a lot more talent/humor then egoraptor and whatever aborted remains of game grumps. now he is just another alt right dickhead.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Mar 13, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
crowder made me feel sympathetic to the young turks

that's hard to do

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
sometimes I get ProtonJon confused with JonTron and I feel bad for it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that makes me legit sad.
https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841051513212547072

he also defended steve king today when king pretty much said the 14 words.

imo JonTron is even funnier now knowing he's a Shahist

I'd be legit bummed if CritiKal turned out to be a shithead though. I'm not above being a fan of youtube gamers.

e: what's especially idiotic and frustrating about the "muh culture" types is that American culture relies on foreign sources and race mixing to syncretize and maintain its vibrancy. American culture isn't a static embodiment of middle class WASP values and never really was. Creating a space where different races, ethnicities, and religions could live amicably together if not harmoniously is what makes it such a fun and interesting country to live in. American identity is formed through an exchange between peoples, and attempting to shut those interactions down isn't just anti-American it's practically alien.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 06:50 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

"invaded"