Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
At this point a successful hardware gadget kickstarter is: have tons of backers for the item, ask a random Chinese factory for a quote, refund everyone, refresh aliexpress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

unpacked robinhood posted:

At this point a successful hardware gadget kickstarter is: have tons of backers for the item, ask a random Chinese factory for a quote, refund everyone, refresh aliexpress

Hey that's my business plan!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

So I'm guessing he fronted for the "We will play an approved video advertisement for whatever you want before every single show for a year straight" reward and they never showed his ad?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

mistressminako posted:

I was in the December tier and I just got a shipping confirmation today. My flat mate got his over a month ago. Checking Reddit, a good % of cubes are arriving broken :buddy:

Uh oh, think those cubes were pre-fidgeted?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

unpacked robinhood posted:

Next Goon project?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So I'm guessing he fronted for the "We will play an approved video advertisement for whatever you want before every single show for a year straight" reward and they never showed his ad?

That sounds correct. But like I said I don't know the details.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That sounds correct. But like I said I don't know the details.

Going on a court show is probably the most effective way of actually getting his money back!

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Uh oh, think those cubes were pre-fidgeted?

:golfclap:

I think the real issue is hurried production and glue that seems to melt in transit causing the cubes to get smashed up in delivery. At least this kickstarter is delivering though, which is more then can be said for many stars of this thread.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

You were warned twice.

Anyways. Content. Fidget Cube is still having issues. I backed em cuz it looked neat, and got mine. My sister hasn't yet for some odd reason. Not to mention all the "fake" ones you can find on Amazon, ebay, etc. Those Chinese companies are drat fast.

I was thinking I'd be into buying one and then I looked at Amazon for all the knockoffs and couldn't find a single one I was at least 50% sure wouldn't be a piece of garbage. I did order a $3 + free shipping spinner thing because gently caress it.

How is a kickstarter for a cheap plastic piece of junk running into so many fulfillment problems?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Buca di Bepis posted:

I was thinking I'd be into buying one and then I looked at Amazon for all the knockoffs and couldn't find a single one I was at least 50% sure wouldn't be a piece of garbage. I did order a $3 + free shipping spinner thing because gently caress it.

How is a kickstarter for a cheap plastic piece of junk running into so many fulfillment problems?

They're to busy fidgeting with that idiot cube to do work.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Buca di Bepis posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Fidg...rds=fidget+cube ??? They're not hard to find.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I bought a Fidget Cube knockoff on ebay back in November for under $7 shipped which arrived before December and appears completely identical and working in as much as they work at all. Just order some of those if you really want one.

The particular seller I got it from was these people http://www.ebay.com/usr/greatspecial

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I didn't say I couldn't find any listings, I said I couldn't find one that I was reasonably sure wouldn't be a piece of garbage. The reviews are all over the place. That being said, most of the ones I saw were like $10 + shipping so the one you linked is probably worth the gamble.

Tiny Timbs has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Mar 8, 2017

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahh, I didn't read closely. My bad.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

I bought a Fidget Cube knockoff on ebay back in November for under $7 shipped which arrived before December and appears completely identical and working in as much as they work at all. Just order some of those if you really want one.

The particular seller I got it from was these people http://www.ebay.com/usr/greatspecial

http://www.dx.com/p/fidget-dice-cubic-toy-for-focusing-stress-relieving-black-452239

try $4

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Yeah, anytime you see some cheap Chinese crap being sold on ebay it's almost always just something from DealExtreme or AliExpress being resold at markup.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A) that didn't exist in November
B) the store I link sells it for the same price as dx does now.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
There are at least 2 different kinds of off-brand fidget cube that I know of. One is larger, has crap buttons and an awful joystick, and is much less durable. The other is smaller and more faithful to what I assume the real thing is like, especially the variety of buttons. It's a crapshoot as to which one you'll get.

The good ones have more squat joystick stalks

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

You were warned twice.

Anyways. Content. Fidget Cube is still having issues. I backed em cuz it looked neat, and got mine. My sister hasn't yet for some odd reason. Not to mention all the "fake" ones you can find on Amazon, ebay, etc. Those Chinese companies are drat fast.

How is it? I'm still waiting on mine.

The bit I've been reading is that their adhesive used in the box to keep it down is failing under transit conditions for overseas flights and it's coming loose in transit.

TBH I'm still quite keen to get mine. Maybe it'll stop me biting my drat nails so much!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Oh look a fold out chair kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/144629748/the-ollie-chair-shape-shifting-seating

Oh look the first few rewards are "we're gonna try get x celebrity to collab with us" and then the early bird is $275 for a loving fold out chair.

Surely people aren't stupid enough to pay $275 for an fold out chair when they can get them from Bunnings (australia) or Walmart or something for under $20 right?

Wrong - over 200% funded :colbert:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

Don't be like that. We have such sights to show you :gibs:

For real though. This is exceedingly :nws: and :nms:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

McSpergin posted:

Oh look a fold out chair kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/144629748/the-ollie-chair-shape-shifting-seating

Oh look the first few rewards are "we're gonna try get x celebrity to collab with us" and then the early bird is $275 for a loving fold out chair.

Surely people aren't stupid enough to pay $275 for an fold out chair when they can get them from Bunnings (australia) or Walmart or something for under $20 right?

Wrong - over 200% funded :colbert:

A 16 pound fold out chair, at that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McSpergin posted:

How is it? I'm still waiting on mine.

The bit I've been reading is that their adhesive used in the box to keep it down is failing under transit conditions for overseas flights and it's coming loose in transit.

TBH I'm still quite keen to get mine. Maybe it'll stop me biting my drat nails so much!

I'm not much a fidgeter tbh, but it's nice for what it is. And the adhesive is indeed, not very good.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I received my two fidget cubes over the weekend. The glue on the cube I freed was so strong that I had to use a hairdryer to loosen it. The cube itself feels solid but there's definitely some room for improvement, such as more internal weight and a rubberized coating. Overall, neither of my cubes came loose or damaged and they're decently fun little toys.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My fidget cube came with glue so strong I thought I'd damage it getting it off the stand, but nope! It works fine!

Which is great because I fidget, and when I visit my therapist I tend to shred tissues as I talk, so now I'm playing with my cube instead of destroying her tissue supply.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This case is literally an entire Android phone that you attach to your iPhone

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Yo dawg i heard u like phones so...

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Quad posted:

Yo dawg i heard u like phones so...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

How about this thing, that does multiple things badly instead of one thing well?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1060397071/beacon-the-multi-sensory-light-that-monitors-air-q

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Getting Android to run on iOS is one of the ultimate achievements for hacking, as the locked-down nature of Apple’s platform makes that extremely hard to do.
Why? I'm not really up on phone fashions, what's the point of this?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Why? I'm not really up on phone fashions, what's the point of this?

It fixes the problem of owning an iPhone, by giving you an android phone.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

phone, good. more phone, better. $129 with 4G.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

gschmidl posted:

How about this thing, that does multiple things badly instead of one thing well?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1060397071/beacon-the-multi-sensory-light-that-monitors-air-q

I love how one of the features is it can tell you if a room is too warm or cold. How did people live without this?!?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dienes posted:

I love how one of the features is it can tell you if a room is too warm or cold. How did people live without this?!?

That lady reading the magazine is having an extremely hectic day but now knows about HER AIR QUALITY.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

gschmidl posted:

If you want to reduce the number of pollutants in your home maybe not filling it with a bunch of crowdsourced trash made by the lowest bidder in China with zero oversight or regulation would be a good start.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And get some more plants, not just a sad little cactus.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hmm, how's Apocalypse Now doing?

I wonder if this includes the $600,000 they allegedly got from "Malibu Road Pictures LLC".

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Almost certainly, because otherwise the average pledge is $889.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Remember Bagel, the smart tape measure? It actually was released, but guess what it doesn't do very well?

quote:

This seemed like a great idea. But now that I have my bagel I am realizing the accuracy is just not good enough for this to replace a regular tape measure. I can take the same measurement 4 times and get different measurements -- not just tiny differences either. My string measure doesn't return to 0. Bummer. The roller measurement also doesn't give me consistent measurements, which sort of baffles me. Is there any way to return these?

quote:

this is the most inaccurate measuring tool there is. I can estimate better than how your tool measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiftless
May 18, 2005

The bagel is awful... You can't pull the string too fast or else it skips and doesn't measure correctly. I forgot it existed a week after I got it. Lucky me compared to some posting they still never got it. Woo.