Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Small tip:
going straight up cold turkey from deep alcoholism (talking bout the physical dependence not psych) can and will kill. GABA drug withdrawal is both terrifying and deadly.

ty for the advice but actually I have no intentions of quitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbyn and McDonnell are literally going to demonstrate against themselves it's hilarious.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Isn't this exactly what they said they'd do?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn and McDonnell are literally going to demonstrate against themselves it's hilarious.

One assumes they're voting yes to the amendments, and asking mps to do the same

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
One doesn't have to assume anything it's a matter of record that they voted for the unamended bill twice.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Looks like their protest against themselves + others will partially work then!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

One doesn't have to assume anything it's a matter of record that they voted for the unamended bill twice.

The oppositions job is to oppose

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Pissflaps I don't know if you've been watching the world lately, but the way politics works these days is you can do whatever the gently caress you want and say all the lies you want and no one will hold you accountable for poo poo, so "some politician said/did X some time ago!" is meaningless in this poo poo world.

Hopefully though, maybe, the amended bill goes through. I really hope so, mostly out of self-interest, but also because at this stage of the game those two amendments will soften the blow of Brexit considerably. Without them, well, everything's still kinda hosed.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

TomViolence posted:

I reckon it's fine to say mad, because mental illness isn't madness. The state of the world in TYOOL 2017 is loving insane, pants-on-head crazy and can readily be described as mad. Anxiety or depression or paranoid schizophrenia on the other hand are mental illnesses and while the world being completely looney tunes can play a role in causing mental illnesses, people suffering from them are not crazy. The world is.

Where does that blokes housemate come in on this spectrum

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Certainly outside of things you should mockingly bring up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Breath Ray posted:

Where does that blokes housemate come in on this spectrum

Thanks for being a huge oval office as usual Breath Ray.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Namtab posted:

Looks like their protest against themselves + others will partially work then!

It's not the first time Corbyn's protested against himself…

https://twitter.com/jasongroves1/status/780361445326331904

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Upstanding Neighbourhoods' Fash CYOA showed up again, this time as a sponsored post.

With a really strange tagline, because my immediate first thought was that it was going to be an EFF/Liberty thing about encryption laws or data protection.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Thank you all for politely yet firmly informing me about the wonders of the C-Mole.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Labour's order of preference:

1) Amended bill
2) Unamended bill
3) No bill

How is this a difficult concept to grasp?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, where was that neat old article about how and why the Economist is poo poo? I know the reasons, I just want to read that article again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Upstanding Neighbourhoods' Fash CYOA showed up again, this time as a sponsored post.

With a really strange tagline, because my immediate first thought was that it was going to be an EFF/Liberty thing about encryption laws or data protection.

Open You're Yes To Hate.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TinTower posted:

It's not the first time Corbyn's protested against himself…

https://twitter.com/jasongroves1/status/780361445326331904

Did he back down and do what he demanded?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, where was that neat old article about how and why the Economist is poo poo? I know the reasons, I just want to read that article again.

It was in rival publication the atlantic - so treat its conclusions with caution.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

:cripes:

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/840981294674771968

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Darth Walrus posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...post-1991/7415/

also

rip your sperm when they get rid of all sorts of regulations post-brexit

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/840779102751752192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Valerie Solanas was right.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Guavanaut posted:

Valerie Solanas was right.

Also PD James (in the original Children of Men it was men who were all infertile).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

It's a shame that nobody will see this and nothing matters.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

I think that's not actually a TV screen but something they blue-screen stuff onto so he probably can't actually see it. Still pretty funny though and politicians really need to know they're gonna get caught out on this stuff.

Edit: If it actually is a screen then that's pretty amazing though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the presenter lady points to it, gesturing in disbelief

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

PA have published fuller details about what Jeremy Corbyn said about a second Scottish referendum, including the question he was asked.

I suspect this isn't actually a case of him going against Labour policy, but an example of him failing to express himself well when asked a question.

With hindsight, perhaps he could have said "I don't think there should be a second referendum because I think it is in Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom's interests to stay part of the UK, although I accept that the Scottish Parliament rather than Westminster should decide whether a second referendum is held".

However, he didn't say that. Asked whether a second referendum is "inevitable" (not the same thing as whether you support it to be fair) he gave an answer which simply talked about it being "fine" but didn't mention at any point that he would prefer it didn't happen.

It's a lot easier for me to write a clear sentence at my keyboard with no pressure on me than it is for him to give an answer in an interview. However, that's a party leader has to do, even though it's hard.

I think there's a tendency for some of Mr Corbyn's supporters to imagine that he's going around making clear statements of policy which the media then ignore or twist. Alternatively, maybe his statements are "nuanced" and the media and voters can't handle nuance.

In fact, his statements are largely incomprehensible. Based on the answer he gave, it's not really clear whether he thinks a referendum is inevitable, or a good thing. While I accept that he actually opposes a referendum, I tihink a fair-minded person looking at the answer he gave and trying to work out what he thinks could easily conclude that on balance, as far as it's possible to tell, it sounds based on that answer like he supports one.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I think that's not actually a TV screen but something they blue-screen stuff onto so he probably can't actually see it.
Pretty sure it's a TV screen - you can see a reflection of it on the glossy desk they're sitting in front of.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

LemonDrizzle posted:

Pretty sure it's a TV screen - you can see a reflection of it on the glossy desk they're sitting in front of.

Oh well spotted! Wow he's just a complete idiot then!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Paxman posted:

PA have published fuller details about what Jeremy Corbyn said about a second Scottish referendum, including the question he was asked.

I suspect this isn't actually a case of him going against Labour policy, but an example of him failing to express himself well when asked a question.

With hindsight, perhaps he could have said "I don't think there should be a second referendum because I think it is in Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom's interests to stay part of the UK, although I accept that the Scottish Parliament rather than Westminster should decide whether a second referendum is held".

However, he didn't say that. Asked whether a second referendum is "inevitable" (not the same thing as whether you support it to be fair) he gave an answer which simply talked about it being "fine" but didn't mention at any point that he would prefer it didn't happen.

It's a lot easier for me to write a clear sentence at my keyboard with no pressure on me than it is for him to give an answer in an interview. However, that's a party leader has to do, even though it's hard.

I think there's a tendency for some of Mr Corbyn's supporters to imagine that he's going around making clear statements of policy which the media then ignore or twist. Alternatively, maybe his statements are "nuanced" and the media and voters can't handle nuance.

In fact, his statements are largely incomprehensible. Based on the answer he gave, it's not really clear whether he thinks a referendum is inevitable, or a good thing. While I accept that he actually opposes a referendum, I tihink a fair-minded person looking at the answer he gave and trying to work out what he thinks could easily conclude that on balance, as far as it's possible to tell, it sounds based on that answer like he supports one.

the reporter is trying to get him to make a prediction about something over which he has no control, he's giving a good answer stating that if there is another referendum it's not a problem, people have the right to do that and he makes the point that it seems the SNP are just centralising power around themselves.

CORBYN THINKS SCOTTISH REFERENDUM INEVITABLE is the headline the reporter wanted and didn't get.

I see nothing wrong with that answer, there is zero point in making a prediction about the inevitability or not for another referendum for scotland.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

I think it might have helped if he'd mentioned "I hope there isn't" somewhere

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
why would he hope there isn't?

he believes that people have a right to referenda if they want them, if the scots want it, let them have it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

JFairfax posted:

he believes that people have a right to referenda if they want them, if the scots want it, let them have it.

Because that's the party position?

quote:

Speaking to BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, he said: “No, we are not in favour of a referendum.

The Labour leader went on: “I was asked if in Westminster we would block the holding of a referendum, I said ‘no’. If the Scottish parliament decided they wanted to have a referendum then it would be wrong for Westminster to block it.

“But just to be absolutely clear, I do not think there should be another referendum."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.in...6651.html%3Famp

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He could hope Scots continue to not want another referendum?

This game of processing Corbyn's ramblings into something approaching an opinion is always fun.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well, at least someone recognizes that the English regions exist, even if it is just part of a throwaway comment.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

This game of processing Corbyn's ramblings into something approaching an opinion is always fun.

sorry you need something in baby's first sound-byte form to process

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

He could even have mentioned that a clear majority don't want one

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

JFairfax posted:

Do you understand that yes not asked these things in a personal capacity, but as the representative of the party?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the question said "Do you think a referendum is inevitable?"

does the labour party have a position on the inevitability of a second indyref?

he wasn't asked about the position labour have on a referendum, he was asked to make a prediction about the certainty of an event happening which is a frankly ridiculous request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
indyref2 is inevitable, climb the mountain of conflict.

• Locked thread