Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Hello Rare and Hat in Time devs, please remove Jontron's voice from Yooka-Laylee and Hat in Time thank you

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841051513212547072

he's turning into Notch at this rate, caught in a vortex of constantly being pissed

he makes like 1 video every few months how does he even make money

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I don't even care if they did stuff like that to get the game done on time if the game is gonna be good.

Game is gonna be bad tho

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://i.imgur.com/xQwLVLp.mp4

The gun is backwards

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 13, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I finished ac: syndicate today. Im gonna play bloodborne next

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The shopkeepers in Spelunky are kicking me all over the level :negative:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

oddium posted:

star fox zero was not as good as star fox 64 but few games are

Thanks, idiot

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I finished Inside, it was mostly okay, good even, but the ending was hilariously dumb and I'm sick of indie devs doing the ambiguous storytelling thing. I mean I'm not really because I like it, but i feel like I liked it more before everyone started doing it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I finished Inside, it was mostly okay, good even, but the ending was hilariously dumb and I'm sick of indie devs doing the ambiguous storytelling thing. I mean I'm not really because I like it, but i feel like I liked it more before everyone started doing it.

I heard it was some brilliant ending? I hated Limbo, it bored me to loving tears and Inside looked more of the same from the demo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MinibarMatchman posted:

I heard it was some brilliant ending? I hated Limbo, it bored me to loving tears and Inside looked more of the same from the demo

The end sequence is, to say the least, very unlike the rest of the game.

Skipping it was probably a good call since Inside is all about the same formula of physics puzzles plus an atmosphere of quiet, creeping dread (until that ending).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah if you didn't like Limbo you won't like that. The ending is like watching a cool scary movie but then suddenly the last 15 minutes ends with everyone being chased by a monster or something, it just abandons any pretence at subtlety.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oh my god.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Sakurazuka posted:

Why make a single, simple cogent story arc when you can drown players with a plethora of subtle world details that raises loads of deep (unanswered) questions?

*Slowly slides Lost DVD back into desk drawer*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I do like how Horizon has a clear pattern of most of the game being full of mysterious tantalizing hints as a background to whatever sidequest tangent you're on but every mission in the main questline being a guaranteed source for giant lore dumps that spell everything out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mordja posted:

Oh my god.

The theory that Andromeda is a Galaxy Quest-style parody of the original series gains more and more traction

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The theory that Andromeda is a Galaxy Quest-style parody of the original series gains more and more traction

holy poo poo I'd love a legit comedy version of ME presented as this wacky Galaxy Quest TV series, with each mission presented as an episode.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MinibarMatchman posted:

holy poo poo I'd love a legit comedy version of ME presented as this wacky Galaxy Quest TV series, with each mission presented as an episode.

If it is, holy poo poo yeah I'll buy it. But they recycled one of the two writers who was responsible for the ME3 ending, I think he's way too far up his own rear end to take the piss out of his own work that hard.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a.lo posted:

Thanks, idiot

don't be mean to me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd say jontron is worse than notch just for being even more vocal about way worse poo poo, and i used to genuinely like the guy's stuff

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Colonel posted:

i'd say jontron is worse than notch just for being even more vocal about way worse poo poo, and i used to genuinely like the guy's stuff

Also notch is kind of a sad dummy that no one really cares about outside of the game he made, Jontron has tons of superfans who hang onto his every word.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah if you didn't like Limbo you won't like that. The ending is like watching a cool scary movie but then suddenly the last 15 minutes ends with everyone being chased by a monster or something, it just abandons any pretence at subtlety.

Pretty much this. It's like the Silent Hill movie where it goes from atmospheric to violent grossout gore.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ImpAexptom posted:

Pretty much this. It's like the Silent Hill movie where it goes from atmospheric to violent grossout gore.

It kind of reminded me more of Cabin in the Woods where they spend most of the runtime building up a shadowy organization experimenting on people and then the climax is all about the release and catharsis of said experiments fighting against their captors. Also in that, while being an indie title, it was something that needed that degree of production values and fidelity with its visuals for it to really work

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, Cabin in the Woods tips its hand way earlier, pretty much in the intro sequence, and is more a weird mix of parody and meta-commentary on that particular type of horror movie.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lurdiak posted:

Also notch is kind of a sad dummy that no one really cares about outside of the game he made, Jontron has tons of superfans who hang onto his every word.

Yeah I imagine that most Minecraft fans are kids who probably have at best a vague awareness of who Notch is. But with that other guy... Don't read Twitter replies, but man, if you read those Twitter replies

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Cabin in the Woods was awesome. I liked when everything burst out of the elevators and when Thor crashes his motorcycle into the invisible wall after several minutes of heroic buildup

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I imagine that most Minecraft fans are kids who probably have at best a vague awareness of who Notch is. But with that other guy... Don't read Twitter replies, but man, if you read those Twitter replies

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought the story in Inside was mostly straightforward and pretty neat :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This would be for the best

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Hello Rare and Hat in Time devs, please remove Jontron's voice from Yooka-Laylee and Hat in Time thank you

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841051513212547072

So at this point I'm leaning towards JonTron knows his videos making him money is a temporary thing and instead of putting in effort to make better and better videos or working harder to break into other industries he's going all in on Right Wing-Nut Welfare like those failing bakeries or food places that suddenly find JESUS and won't serve gays then setup gofundme pages. He's already done interviews on breitbart so I'm guessing he's angling at being the hip young tech savvy talking head there or a regular guest on Fox News

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I got all the endings in Stein's Gate the other day and god drat that was a cool game. Like it's hard to justify why it's so good. Even for a VN it has little interaction (and what's there is oddly obtuse) and the game has so many anime cliches it's maddening. However, somewhere along the line they decided to put effort into things for some reason and the writing is strong enough and the story is interesting enough that it sort of just passes through the cliches it uses barely scathed. It's like they took the dull shells of these tropes and actually filled them in so you had characters whose personalities and actions made perfect sense with who they were and where they came from, so it mostly felt natural. Hell, even the endings where you end up with a girl that isn't that well matched to the protagonist, they put an extreme amount of effort to make the ending make perfect. I rarely see anything this tropey use those tropes while also actually putting the the effort that people usually people are expecting the use of tropes to create.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I haven't played it past the demo yet but I'm still finding myself really annoyed, having bought it*, that the demo of Nier Automata is pretty non representative

The open world stuff in BotW is actively driving me away from that and it's the most acclaimed Zelda in ages, I don't think Nier Automata is going to stand much of a chance for me

* Never Preorder

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So at this point I'm leaning towards JonTron knows his videos making him money is a temporary thing and instead of putting in effort to make better and better videos or working harder to break into other industries he's going all in on Right Wing-Nut Welfare like those failing bakeries or food places that suddenly find JESUS and won't serve gays then setup gofundme pages. He's already done interviews on breitbart so I'm guessing he's angling at being the hip young tech savvy talking head there or a regular guest on Fox News

Oh great, another "Rush Limbaugh is just trolling" theory.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If they pull a MGS2 and reveal that in the game you don't actually play a dull human but instead are playing Blasto, I will drop everything and buy the special edition of the game immediately.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

glam rock hamhock posted:

I got all the endings in Stein's Gate the other day and god drat that was a cool game. Like it's hard to justify why it's so good. Even for a VN it has little interaction (and what's there is oddly obtuse) and the game has so many anime cliches it's maddening. However, somewhere along the line they decided to put effort into things for some reason and the writing is strong enough and the story is interesting enough that it sort of just passes through the cliches it uses barely scathed. It's like they took the dull shells of these tropes and actually filled them in so you had characters whose personalities and actions made perfect sense with who they were and where they came from, so it mostly felt natural. Hell, even the endings where you end up with a girl that isn't that well matched to the protagonist, they put an extreme amount of effort to make the ending make perfect. I rarely see anything this tropey use those tropes while also actually putting the the effort that people usually people are expecting the use of tropes to create.

It's pretty much all on the back of the staff unique to Steins and 0, the rest of the franchise it's in isn't nearly as good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's good to know 0 is also good. I was planning on getting to it when the awesome releases slow down a little bit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

I'm glad you liked it, it's one of my favorites. Time travel stories can be very hit or miss but I felt that S;G hit all of the right notes while also pairing it with a strong cast and a neat visual style and solid soundtrack. The ending was also good/satisfying enough that any talk about a potential sequel has always left me wary, because I don't see how you can follow it up well and not have it be a let down, which ultimately Steins;Gate 0 kind of was. I mean, it's fine, especially if you just want to see more of that cast of characters interacting with each other, but there's not much the plot can really say or do that you need to hear/see at this point after the original ending.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I tend to live my life by a simple rule of assuming that people with extremely lovely opinions are in all likelihood extremely lovely people themselves and it's served me pretty well so far.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I'm glad you liked it, it's one of my favorites. Time travel stories can be very hit or miss but I felt that S;G hit all of the right notes while also pairing it with a strong cast and a neat visual style and solid soundtrack. The ending was also good/satisfying enough that any talk about a potential sequel has always left me wary, because I don't see how you can follow it up well and not have it be a let down, which ultimately Steins;Gate 0 kind of was. I mean, it's fine, especially if you just want to see more of that cast of characters interacting with each other, but there's not much the plot can really say or do that you need to hear/see at this point after the original ending.

It seriously was shockingly good to the degree where I'm not sure I'll ever play a better VN

Also that's one against 0 (though I'll still play it and probably watch the sequel movie because I'm done and I wanna hang out with Mayuri some more)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

It seriously was shockingly good to the degree where I'm not sure I'll ever play a better VN

Also that's one against 0 (though I'll still play it and probably watch the sequel movie because I'm done and I wanna hang out with Mayuri some more)
Mayuri and her repertoire of hats are very powerful in 0, so that's a good thing about it at least.

Umineko and House in Fata Morgana are also pretty great Steam VNs that I'd put on S;G's levels.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Oh I'm not saying he's just trolling. I believe he agrees with pretty much he's saying. But I also think he's saying poo poo on twitter to grow his alt-right fanbase as well. He's exalting white nationalism while having parents who are literally Iranian. It's like the Dave Chappelle skit about a blink black KKK member. Either the mans brain damaged or he knows he can get a loyal fanbase if he lets his lovely opinions air as loud and terrible as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nate RFB posted:

Mayuri and her repertoire of hats are very powerful in 0, so that's a good thing about it at least.

Umineko and House in Fata Morgana are also pretty great Steam VNs that I'd put on S;G's levels.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/425460/

• Locked thread