Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It doesn't help his image that he made a video weeks before about Nintendo that was full of false equivalencies and complete ignorance of how ContentID and Fair Use work.

(I'm not saying I think Nintendo's YouTube policies aren't bad, I'm saying Jim put out a bad video that was wrong about a lot of things and it's not helping him at all here.)

But anyway, that many fans angry about the review are gonna happen with any major franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
jim sterling is alright. he wears gloves and red glasses reminds me of that one guy from evangelion with the glasses (the dad?) but only fatter and a bit less serious.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Those 2 reviews are irrelevant. The game has had a 9.8 score for two weeks now, everyone and his dog bought it already and it's been celebrated as one of the best videogames ever released. Which it is, regardless of a few annoyances.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

a.lo posted:

jim sterling is alright. he wears gloves and red glasses reminds me of that one guy from evangelion with the glasses (the dad?) but only fatter and a bit less serious.

He gave Dead Rising 4 an 8/10 and must be exterminated for that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Guy at the Dueling Peaks stable still being all like "I can give you directions!". My dude I have walked over almost every inch of this country I know my way around it better than anyone.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kawabata posted:

Those 2 reviews are irrelevant. The game has had a 9.8 score for two weeks now, everyone and his dog bought it already and it's been celebrated as one of the best videogames ever released. Which it is, regardless of a few annoyances.

Never played a DR game. They seem pretty good

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Regy Rusty posted:

Guy at the Dueling Peaks stable still being all like "I can give you directions!". My dude I have walked over almost every inch of this country I know my way around it better than anyone.

He just wants to help.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I feel I should note in some form of guilt ridden self defence here that despite the game not clicking for me I pretty much disagree with Sterling's review :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

He just wants to help.

Haha

In seriousness I actually love how much this game embraces the whole idea of giving you directions to places rather than just putting waypoints on the map. There are a few of those but the stables and people there telling you about points of interest nearby is just so good.

Especially the one kid who hates having to do it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The lack of Beedle saying thank you is a bit of a problem to me

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Regy Rusty posted:

Haha

In seriousness I actually love how much this game embraces the whole idea of giving you directions to places rather than just putting waypoints on the map. There are a few of those but the stables and people there telling you about points of interest nearby is just so good.

Especially the one kid who hates having to do it.

Haha, I just found that kid

What's to the east of here?
I don't know, Death Mountain, who gives a poo poo?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

But anyway, that many fans angry about the review are gonna happen with any major franchise.

Definitely, but that clearly doesn't matter:

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/841115783602286593

At this point I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed with the rear end in a top hat script kiddies giving anyone who might argue with Jim's review a bad name, or the smug people who get to reply about how Zelda fans are so immature and feel good about themselves. I'm not even annoyed that he made incorrect assertions in his review anymore. It's the smug superiority that's pissing me off.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well I mean someone is targeting his livelihood. Badly. I can except some vitriol.

But yeah, I don't really expect Zelda fans to be this organized. It's opportunists.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Okay so after my Lynel plan didn't work out (turns out drops of a particular enemy are set before you fight them so you can't savescum) I went back to test out the shooting star thing some more. Turns out that trick absolutely does work on Wii U, I got it 3 times in a row flawlessly.

One thing that may have tripped me up on my earlier attempt is that all it guarantees is the star will spawn at some point during the night. You can campfire your way to 9 PM while on the mountain but you may have to wait several in game hours before you see the meteor. First night it showed up at 11 PM, but the second not until 1 AM. So patience is key. Also once you see it land you're free to mark it on your map and warp to the nearest shrine to get it. I dunno what the time limit is on them despawning, but warping doesn't make them vanish.

Yay now I have everything I need its time to finish this game!!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Zelda is a good gmae I don't care what a man like Jim Sterling says

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

At this point I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed with the rear end in a top hat script kiddies giving anyone who might argue with Jim's review a bad name, or the smug people who get to reply about how Zelda fans are so immature and feel good about themselves. I'm not even annoyed that he made incorrect assertions in his review anymore. It's the smug superiority that's pissing me off.

He did it to piss people off on purpose, this is the reaction he wanted. It makes people pay attention to him.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Harrow posted:

Have no doubt, Jim knew this was coming and is probably loving every second of it. I wouldnt feel too bad about it, both extremes look like dicks while here in normal land, we all scratch our heads at all the dickheads making things worse. Even if he doesnt get ad revenue, the fact that it gets Jim attention is enough of a reason for him to go ahead and score it like he did. Its not like this is even the first time its happened.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It's not a 7/10. It's not a 7/10!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
jim sterling is a fat game critic that isn't ryan davis so i dont care about him

what i do care about is the fact that there's actually 900 koroks in this game why the gently caress 900, 300 would still be a bit much but nine hundred is just memery! where the gently caress do i find the maracas bitch so i can expand my weapons inventory, i got his stuff back but then he just moved somewhere else and didn't tell me. or maybe he did and i didn't make a note of it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

jim sterling is a fat game critic that isn't ryan davis so i dont care about him

what i do care about is the fact that there's actually 900 koroks in this game why the gently caress 900, 300 would still be a bit much but nine hundred is just memery! where the gently caress do i find the maracas bitch so i can expand my weapons inventory, i got his stuff back but then he just moved somewhere else and didn't tell me. or maybe he did and i didn't make a note of it?

He tells you his home is north along the Hylia River, so if you just follow it north you'll find him eventually.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

spit on my clit posted:

Check stables along the river heading north. He hangs out there for a while before going home.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The Slant reviewer is part of a clique of mindless contrarians who must oppose the mainstream in everything, which is why he placed Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 on his "worst of the year" lists and was inevitably going to poop on Zelda.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Whoever designed The Lost Pilgrimage is a sadist.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
idk jim sterling pretends to have sex in a lot of his videos

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FiftySeven posted:

Have no doubt, Jim knew this was coming and is probably loving every second of it. I wouldnt feel too bad about it, both extremes look like dicks while here in normal land, we all scratch our heads at all the dickheads making things worse. Even if he doesnt get ad revenue, the fact that it gets Jim attention is enough of a reason for him to go ahead and score it like he did. Its not like this is even the first time its happened.

I mean, I believe that this is his real opinion of Breath of the Wild, but I also think the fact that he complained about Zelda's towers but didn't complain about Horizon's (which are significantly closer to the Ubisoft tower model except for the fact that they walk around) is evidence that he kinda went in expecting to think it was overrated.

Is it weird that this all kinda makes me wish I could get paid to review games? I'm sure it sucks on some level, especially because your job would really encourage you to play through as many games as possible as quickly as possible, but I dunno, I write enough about games and what I think works and doesn't work as it is, might as well get paid.

although all it would take is someone quoting like two posts of mine on this forum to prove I'm not very good at it :eng99:

snoremac posted:

The Slant reviewer is part of a clique of mindless contrarians who must oppose the mainstream in everything, which is why he placed Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 on his "worst of the year" lists and was inevitably going to poop on Zelda.

Oh man now I want to read his Bloodborne review just to see how aggressively wrong he is. I clearly have a problem.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish all the great fairies looked like the horse fairy. That was a neat design.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

I don't even understand the idea of 900. I just killed Ganon having done all the major stuff along with a sense that I pretty thoroughly scoured the world and wound up right at 150 of them. I'm struggling to believe there are 750 that I overlooked.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I don't even understand the idea of 900. I just killed Ganon having done all the major stuff along with a sense that I pretty thoroughly scoured the world and wound up right at 150 of them. I'm struggling to believe there are 750 that I overlooked.

Probably to make sure there's something in every corner of the world while still making sure you can get all the necessary upgrades without tearing your hair out.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
horse fairy, where is it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

snoremac posted:

horse fairy, where is it?

south and slightly east of center. peruse your map for "lair of the Horse God" or somesuch

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

a.lo posted:

The lack of Beedle saying thank you is a bit of a problem to me

I love Kiltons cheer though

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Do you think Jim Sterling knows about the Horse Fairy?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gumdrop Larry posted:

They are everywhere. You probably haven't even found half the ways they hide. Like I found out about pushing boulders into holes really late. Or throwing rocks into lilypad circles. Or...

Also you need 441 to fully max out your weapon/bow/shields. The full 900 unlocks a special prize You can trigger the maracca dancing animation whenever you want

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure that the reason there are 900 is that you are absolutely not intended to collect all of them. There are 900 so they could ensure that even the most braindead or plot focused player could easily stumble on enough Koroks to get a respectable number of inventory upgrades. More focused players would get bigger inventories but no one should or needs to track down every last one of the things.

Of course with many gamers being the way they are I'm sure some people will do it anyway. I'm perfectly satisfied with my 252 because it let me max my weapons and end the game with 0 seeds left over.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Harrow posted:

I mean, I believe that this is his real opinion of Breath of the Wild, but I also think the fact that he complained about Zelda's towers but didn't complain about Horizon's (which are significantly closer to the Ubisoft tower model except for the fact that they walk around) is evidence that he kinda went in expecting to think it was overrated.

It took me a few days to realize the towers only give you topography data and the names of many (but not most?) important landmarks in an area but you still have to walk the roads to find all the stables and deliberately cross bridges on foot to get most of their names.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man I love Koholint Faron but drat if my framerate isn't chugging the entire time.

Also lmao @ terrible internet reviewers. what else is new.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

a.lo posted:

Do you think Jim Sterling knows about the Horse Fairy?

hell, i dont know about the horse fairy! is it like one of those great fairies, or..

edit: also why do i never get summoned to protect the Faron forest

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't be-loving-lieve it. I spent ages waiting for a Blood Moon until I finally got one, and then a second one came the following night! :argh:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

hell, i dont know about the horse fairy! is it like one of those great fairies, or..

Yes. It specifically revives any of your registered horses who died (unless you killed them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It took me a few days to realize the towers only give you topography data and the names of many (but not most?) important landmarks in an area but you still have to walk the roads to find all the stables and deliberately cross bridges on foot to get most of their names.

Yeah, I love that about it. And the fact that you can mark things with your slate while looking through the scope means that you can use the high vantage point the towers give you to do the "put icons on your map" thing yourself rather than just having the game do it for you. It's loving great. That one small (but probably much harder to pull off than it look) twist on it changes the towers from a chore that marks your map with other chores into something that helps increase the feeling of being an explorer.

Weird thing about Horizon's towers is that they also only reveal topography data. The difference is that all the icons they don't put on your map were already there before you revealed that area :v: (I don't mean this as a knock on Horizon--it's a surprisingly excellent game, it's just not nearly as fun to explore as BotW.)