Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Only 3500 for attacking animals that only exist on one island on earth?

What a Quokka poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Frogfingers posted:

Only 3500 for attacking animals that only exist on one island on earth?

What a Quokka poo poo.

That's just the guy filming it. The guy who did the attacking is still to face his day.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Guys it's fine. He was drunk when it happened so it's not his fault and also we have no idea if that quokka is hurt or not. For all we know it could be living the high life right now so let's not make too much of a big deal.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

The ABC posted:

Treasurer Scott Morrison has declared record low wage growth the "biggest challenge" facing the Australian economy.

His comments come after the Federal Government cautiously endorsed the Fair Work Commission's decision to reduce Sunday penalty
rates for thousands of hospitality and retail workers, arguing it was an independent body with the power to make such decisions.

That triggered a fierce political fight, with the Federal Opposition accusing the Government of failing to protect the income of thousands of low-paid weekend workers.

But Mr Morrison today told Bloomberg he was committed to ensuring workers took home more money each week.

"The biggest challenge we have is to ensure what Australians are earning every week is increasing," he said.

"We've had flat wage prices; our wage price index has been flat for some period of time now.

If the biggest problem facing the economy is the money people are taking home and you are cutting the amount of money that people take home then maybe it is time you faced the fact that it is you who are the problem.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Bogan King posted:

That's just the guy filming it. The guy who did the attacking is still to face his day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvUGkw8Syj4&t=2m6s

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Bogan King posted:

If the biggest problem facing the economy is the money people are taking home and you are cutting the amount of money that people take home then maybe it is time you faced the fact that it is you who are the problem.

No you see if he changes some laws and Gina Reinhardt is able to make an extra 20 million in a year as a result that means the average take home pay across the country is rising. Great success!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

open24hours posted:

Someone who thinks like that probably isn't going to be convinced by statistics, but here's a chart with links to the data. http://unemployedworkersunion.com/job-seekers-v-job-vacancy-data/

yeah, the notion of an unemployed workers union wasn't really well received, despite the fact that they're simply using ABS stats

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

yeah, the notion of an unemployed workers union wasn't really well received, despite the fact that they're simply using ABS stats

I am completely amazed.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Liberals are totally planning a preference deal with One Nation lol

I don't get why this comes out so far from an election, it's not like the average swing voter would even have remembered if the current government avoided answering the question.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
In Queensland, the WA result has been watched closely by the state Labor government, which must go to the polls by May 2018.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk had looked likely to call an election for late 2017 but party strategists said the WA result - and a series of mistakes by Senator Hanson and her candidates - meant February 2018 had now firmed as preferred polling date.

The Queensland Liberal National Party has refused to rule out doing a preference deal with One Nation, instead saying it would examine options on a seat-by-seat basis. Senator Hanson has indicated her party would consider something similar.

One Nation is still expected to do well in its heartland state, with Labor and the LNP worried about outer urban and inner regional seats falling to the Hanson-led movement.

In WA, One Nation chalked up its highest vote share (12.7 per cent) in Moore, an outer metropolitan region north of Perth, and Mandurah, to the south of the capital. The demographics of those seats are similar to some in western Sydney and Melbourne.

One Nation secured an average of 8.1 per cent in seats the party ran candidates in. It is expected to win at least two upper house seats, with the help of Liberal preferences.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

I am completely amazed.

same

is there a specific name for this phenomenon of people rejecting facts and authoritative sources of information in favour of whatever bullshit coincides with their worldview? I wouldn't mind doing some reading on it

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

same

is there a specific name for this phenomenon of people rejecting facts and authoritative sources of information in favour of whatever bullshit coincides with their worldview? I wouldn't mind doing some reading on it

It's called libertarianism

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

same

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_exposure_theory

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
sounds like that's something that works in concert with the backfire effect

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

that makes sense

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://thewest.com.au/politics/sta...n-ng-b88412962z
Mike Nahan on a jetski: The Liberals bizarre last-minute plan to save a doomed election

quote:

Gary Adshead
Monday, 13 March 2017 6:48AM

In the death throes of the Barnett Government, a madcap scheme was hatched — the Fast Ferry Frenzy.

The plan was to put the media on a vessel on the Swan River on Friday with Colin Barnett and his deputy Liza Harvey and showcase some of the achievements of the Government.
Ministers, playing action-man roles, would be used along the way to sell the message.

Obviously struggling to cut through the wall-to-wall One Nation coverage, party svengalis hatched the plan for an amphibious assault on the consciousness of West Australian voters.

By the way, this is all true. A script had been prepared and instructions given.

Fisheries Minister Joe Francis was to play a fisherman on a jetty and the boat would pull up to collect fisherman Joe. As the boat tugged upstream Joe would spot a jetskier.

“Isn’t that Treasurer Mike Nahan,” he would have bellowed.

With Dr Nahan safely on deck, the boat was to continue until another minister was seen on the water — Environment Minister Albert Jacob in scuba gear.

Alas, the plan didn’t happen because key players in the script decided to mutiny the day before.

The FFF plan and then the government were sunk.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
There's not only people who get paid to come up with this poo poo, they get paid even if you never use their idea. Think about that next time you do an honest day's work.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Starshark posted:

There's not only people who get paid to come up with this poo poo, they get paid even if you never use their idea. Think about that next time you do an honest day's work.

This idea is glorious, I don't get the ire dripping from your words.

I want to see more stupid election stunts on boats with people going 'Isn't that Jet skier the Treasurer!'

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Konomex posted:

This idea is glorious, I don't get the ire dripping from your words.

I want to see more stupid election stunts on boats with people going 'Isn't that Jet skier the Treasurer!'

I want to see them go wrong where the jet skier runs over the scuba diver and then blows up. Everyone dies.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mark McGowan has marked his first working day as premier of Western Australia by announcing that work on the controversial extension to Perth’s Roe highway has stopped.

:hellyeah:

What is this strange emotion I am feeling towards western australia.. could it be.. pride?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hooman posted:

Mark McGowan has marked his first working day as premier of Western Australia by announcing that work on the controversial extension to Perth’s Roe highway has stopped.

What is this strange emotion I am feeling towards western australia.. could it be.. pride?

Give it time. They will inevitably gently caress it up somehow.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah you'll think they're good and then they'll outlaw masks.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Just give us this week you sour fucks :P

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/841242217796648960

The NSW division of the liberal party is basically a gay club.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

the rest of the world is diving face first into fascism, and The Resistance starts in Perth.

Of all loving places.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Where can I put money there is going to be gas shortages in Australia? ACCC is screaming about it tomorrow.

quote:

Research by economic forecasters BIS Shrapnel and commissioned by the AWU suggests that without affordable and reliable gas, one in five heavy manufacturers will close by 2021, with the loss of 235,000 jobs.

Currently, there are seven, but soon to be 10, export plants liquefying gas and shipping it offshore, and recent research has found the country needs to lift its total energy output by 50 per cent just to meet its expected exports in 2020.

"Ordinarily, higher gas prices would provide producers an incentive to increase investment in exploration and development activities," Mr Sims said.

"However, the east coast gas market was caught in a 'clash of cycles', with historically high domestic gas prices coinciding with falling international oil prices."

The ACCC said LNG gas developers fell into a trap of assuming $100+ oil prices would continue, rather than planning an assumption of the long-run average of prices around $55.

Mr Sims said regulatory uncertainty delayed or stopped development, and that the industry had not expected Victoria to ban all onshore gas exploration and production until 2020. Victoria implemented the policy on environmental and social considerations.

Production forecasts indicated that from the start of the year, meeting expected demand would require the development of new reserves, the ACCC said.

So The Market failed. I have full confidence in President Trumball's regime will do nothing to hurt company profits - ScoMo was saying TODAY that you need to increase company profits above paying higher wages. Profits always comes first, said ScoMo.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Comstar posted:

The ACCC said LNG gas developers fell into a trap of assuming $100+ oil prices would continue, rather than planning an assumption of the long-run average of prices around $55.

Rentseekers.txt. This is the same bullshit speculative ignorance that both federal and WA liberals pulled with the iron ore boom, before driving the country into a ditch. It's almost like government handjobs supporting poor business practices with minimal accountability is a poo poo model or something.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Comstar posted:

Where can I put money there is going to be gas shortages in Australia? ACCC is screaming about it tomorrow.

So The Market failed. I have full confidence in President Trumball's regime will do nothing to hurt company profits - ScoMo was saying TODAY that you need to increase company profits above paying higher wages. Profits always comes first, said ScoMo.

at least that is something that could be fixed overnight by reserving a certain percent for domestic consumption or introducing an export duty

of course we'd need a government with a spine for that

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can't wait to read this judgment.

http://www.afr.com/news/policy/industrial-relations/judge-turns-on-abcc-for-wasting-time-over-cup-of-tea-cfmeu-incident-20170311-guw6aw

quote:

Judge turns on ABCC for wasting time over 'cup of tea' CFMEU incident

A federal court judge has blasted the Australian Building and Construction Commission for wasting time and taxpayers' money on taking two Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union officials to court for "having a cup of tea with a mate".

In scathing and extraordinary criticism of the construction industry watchdog, Justice Tony North told parties on Friday it was "astounding" that commissioner Nigel Hadgkiss had briefed silk and conducted days of hearing with dozens of participants, including Australian Federal Police, over "such a miniscule, insignificant affair".

"This is all external forces that are beating up what's just a really ordinary situation that amounts to virtually nothing," he said.

"For goodness sake, I don't know what this inspectorate is doing."

He said when the ABCC "use[s] public resources to bring the bar down to this level, it really calls into question the exercise of the discretion to proceed".

The accused CFMEU officials had dropped by a McConnell Dowell building site at Melbourne Airport in 2014 to visit a friend who was a safety representative.

The men said they talked about holidays and four-wheel drives over a cup of tea for half an hour before a project manager asked them to leave or he would call the police.

The officials had failed to give the required 24-hours notice to enter the site, which put the company's ability to tender for government work at risk because of strict conditions under the then-Liberal state government's building code.

One official responded he wanted to talk to his friend for another five minutes before leaving and that if the manager called police "you are starting a war".

The manager then notified the Australian Federal Police, which sent four officers to the site, and the ABCC later accused the CFMEU of breaching the Fair Work Act by not giving notice, meeting employees during work hours, threatening retaliation and remaining on site by waiting for the police to arrive.

Justice North said the CFMEU's "war" threat, in the context of the manager not explaining his reasons and their history of friendly relations, was "a human reaction".

"This is not a threat in the sense that I'm going to start a third world war. This is a Trump-like threat."

In an earlier hearing in December, the judge observed that if the manager "had been left to his own devices without a protocol, he would have said, 'Have your cup of tea and then f--k off,' and no one would have heard another word about it".

"I'm looking at the central reality of this case. It was an hour on site. There was no aggravation, no stoppage of work, between people who got on well. I mean, really and truly, if this is what the Inspectorate thinks is worthy of its attention I would be amazed."end cut

The judge urged the ABCC to reconsider pursuing the case, which had spanned almost two years of submissions and hearings.

"I mean, we have enough CFMEU cases without every mate visiting another for a cup of tea coming to our court."

However, the ABCC returned to court last Friday for closing submissions, this time engaging the services of a barrister.

Justice North said he was "surprised the matter has come back, frankly". "I must say it's a terrible waste of everybody's time."

It is not known how much the ABCC has spent on the case, although it is estimated to be as much as $100,000.

The judge has reserved his decision but he warned the ABCC "you can be quite sure I will so express my views".

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

We had a double dissolution election so that the ABCC could conduct this important public service.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Irony is dead

https://twitter.com/ColleenLavelle1/status/841417438696689664

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-14/cashless-welfare-card-to-continue-after-trial-success/8350946
The Federal Government has hailed its cashless welfare card trial a "success" in Ceduna in South Australia and Kununurra in Western Australia and will continue to use it in both towns.

The trial was designed to limit participants' access to cash.

It has seen 80 per cent of most recipients' welfare quarantined on a cashless debit card, which cannot be used to buy alcohol or gamble.

The remaining 20 per cent has been credited to participants' regular bank accounts and therefore was able to be withdrawn as cash.

Human Services Minister Alan Tudge said the cards would now be used on an ongoing basis in Kununurra and Ceduna, with six-monthly reviews.

"The card is having the result of reducing the alcohol, the gambling and the drug abuse," he said.

Mr Tudge made the decision after receiving a 175-page government commissioned review by Orima Research of the year-long trial.

The evaluation involved interviewing stakeholders, participants and their families.

It found on average a quarter of people using the card who drank said they were not drinking as often.

While just under a third of gamblers said they had curbed that habit.

But researchers did record claims people were finding ways around the system.

They included "a couple of examples of suspected prostitution" and merchants "overcharging for a product or services and then refunding the difference in cash."

As revealed by the ABC in September, Kununurra taxi drivers have been accused of helping customers circumvent the system.

"We're monitoring this, we're constantly trying to avoid this occurring and at the end of the day though ... and I've said this repeatedly, we're not going to let perfect be the enemy of good and we are getting good results here even though there might be some individuals who try to skirt the system," Mr Tudge said.

The review recorded anecdotal claims of an increase in crime committed by Kununurra children wanting cash, and more domestic violence in Ceduna.

But the report said it was not clear whether the increased reports of domestic violence were because of changes in reporting requirements or increased community awareness, rather than the trial.

Data suggested overall crime had reduced in Ceduna but there had been no short-term evidence of reduced crime in Kununurra.

Mr Tudge said the crime figures were preliminary and not conclusive.

"I simply point to the local police who say that this is a good intervention and that they support it and I also point to other community leaders who believe that there has been a reduction in some of the assaults and domestic violence as well," he said.

"But let's get the hard data and that will come out in the final evaluation at the end of June."

The review reported 31 per cent of participants answered yes when asked, "Since being on the cashless debit/Indue card [has this] happened to you: You've/the family has been able to save more money than before".

Asked whether such a question sounded like push-polling, Mr Tudge said the questionnaire had been done at arm's length from the Government.

"This was done by an independent evaluation, I had nothing to do with the questions which were asked," Mr Tudge said.

The big question is whether the Government will roll the card out nationally.

Mr Tudge said that decision had not been made and refused to say whether it would be revealed in May's federal budget.

"I get in big trouble if I talk about the budget before it's released and so I don't plan on doing it now," he said.

The card has its critics and one in two participants said it had made their life worse.

Ian Trust, the executive director of the Wunan Foundation, an Aboriginal development organisation in the East Kimberley in Western Australia, said his support for the card had come at a personal cost.

"People in Kununurra see me as one of the perpetrators of infecting this sort of card on them," he said

"But what we had before the card, which is just open sort of slather of people buying heaps of alcohol with the money that they get, the amount of damage it was doing, I think that this is definitely an improvement on what we had previously," he said.

Mr Trust said he would support the card being rolled out across the country.

"Yes I do, I think this is a more responsible way of actually delivering support and social services to our people regardless of what colour they are," he said.

Something to look forward to then.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

quote:

Statement from ABC Editorial Director: exclusion of ABC journalists by One Nation officials

The ABC is deeply concerned at the decision by One Nation to single out and exclude ABC reporters from its official election night function in Perth on Saturday night.

I have been in communication with One Nation officials since early Sunday seeking an explanation.

Despite the fact that One Nation has claimed that all media were treated appropriately and obtained material from a pool camera on the night, the facts remain that:

Other media representatives from a range of organisations attended on the night without any prior arrangements or permission being required.
Those other media representatives, who included broadcasters, agencies and newspaper reporters from inside and outside Western Australia, were granted immediate access to the event.
The ABC was denied access, and was treated differently to all other media.

Throughout the Western Australian election campaign, the ABC has provided accurate, impartial and independent political coverage and all political parties have been the subject of appropriate scrutiny and questioning.

If the ABC has been denied normal access to political events for simply doing its job, then that is an attack not just on the public broadcaster but on the fundamental role of the media in a democracy.

We will continue, as we always have, to report without fear or favour.

Alan Sunderland

ABC Editorial Director

ENDS

http://about.abc.net.au/statements/statement-from-abc-editorial-director-exclusion-of-abc-journalists-by-one-nation-officials/

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

open24hours posted:

Something to look forward to then.

Wouldn't this not fly like the Australia Card under Hawke?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

People probably care less about civil liberties now than they did then.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Alan Tudge is a reasonably innocuous name for a totalitarian despot. I like the way he dismisses even the measured criticism of his hand picked evaluation team (From the blood sucking poo poo heals in his own department) with a call to the opinion of police officers. He must fancy his leadership chances if he can be suitably inhuman.

On Talking Back the Night (Don't get me started on why even the name sucks) they were bemoaning how PHON doesn't get a fair run in the media. Every caller was a PHON supporter. They didn't in any way see the irony or absurdity.

When the power goes out all over NSW due to violent storms will it be the fault of black coal power stations? Seems only fair that they should cop the blame.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tudge usually shows his face at local sports events in my local council area, I'll make sure he cops a mouthful from me if I see him sliming around the crowds.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/regions-pitch-for-government-departments-in-apvma-senate-inquiry-20170313-guwu1u.html
Armidale may have an unexpected new rival to its claim on hosting the national pesticides authority.

Southern Downs Regional Council, based 150km inland from Brisbane, is on the hard sell for the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority in a Senate inquiry into its forced move from Canberra.

The small farming community, home to about 36,000 people, joined 16 other regional councils and bodies from across the country using the Senate inquiry to pitch for government departments.

It marks a transformation for the inquiry, originally intended to focus on the APVMA's move and risks to human and animal health, the profitability to the agriculture and fisheries sectors, chemical industries and Australia's trading reputation.

The driving force behind the APVMA's relocation, Deputy Prime Minister and Nationals leader Barnaby Joyce, last month encouraged regional communities to write to the Senate committee about the benefits of decentralisation, drawing accusations he was derailing the inquiry.

As regions pitched for federal agencies, the inquiry learnt Southern Downs had its eye on several including Meat and Livestock Australia, and the Grains Research and Development Corporation.

It wants to lure them with its 'crisp country air', shopping complexes and lack of rush hour traffic.

"There have been many examples of successful relocation with regional cities such as Ballarat, Bendigo and Geelong all attracting a plethora of different public authorities through various decentralisation programs," Mayor Tracy Dobie said.

The council pledged to "actively campaign" for an agency in one of its centres, Warwick (population 15,000) or Stanthorpe (5,000).

And it offered something appealing to APVMA bosses tired of working in McDonald's at Armidale, boasting of "available office space or zone commercial land that can accommodate an agency."

"The Southern Downs Regional Council will facilitate the logistics of any move to ensure an agency that moves to the region is able to perform its function seamlessly."

Albury City Council made a pitch for the Murray-Darling Basin Authority, while Mid-Murray Council, outside Adelaide, included the Education, Industry and Employment departments in a long list of large government agencies that could move to regional areas.

The council joined others inviting the Senate inquiry to hold a hearing at regional areas.

Lockhart Shire Council, in southern NSW, urged the government to look further afield than major centres such as Albury and Wagga Wagga in relocating departments.

"Smaller sub-regional towns should not be overlooked when considering the decentralisation of government agencies," mayor Rodger Schirmer said.

"Other smaller towns could and should be considered in respect of relocating individual business units, shared service centres, outreach posts and other government services that can be provided remotely."

Lachlan Shire Council, centred in Condobolin, said it would benefit from the relocation of people to nearby centres Dubbo, Orange and Griffith.

"This improves medical, social and educational services that residents can travel to and to take advantage of these improved services," general manager Robert Hunt said.

"Lachlan Shire would support a federal government department relocation to its area but reality is that a research office from agriculture or chemical testing would be of greater benefit."

In a submission, ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr condemned the forced move as "a misguided exercise in public governance that has failed to achieve the desired public policy goals for the APVMA or Armidale."

It is a signature policy of Mr Joyce, whose New England electorate includes Armidale.

The plan has been labelled as "blatant pork barrelling" by the opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

open24hours posted:

quote:

"The Southern Downs Regional Council will facilitate the logistics of any move to ensure an agency that moves to the region is able to perform its function seamlessly."

This is the part that worries me the most. We'll end up in one of those stupid yank race to the bottom deal cutting bullshit that means businesses end up moving to an area and bankrupting the area. They'll spend a bunch of money and offer big tax breaks to get them there and realise the gain is only a tiny fraction of the cost.

• Locked thread