Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

...because it isn't recognised as one.

Why hasn't there been any UN resolutions demanding Catalan independence?

because no-one gives that much of a poo poo, not even the catalans, they only got a 42% turnout for their last referendum.

If they manage to get a good majority then things might be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Fangz posted:

Yes, see Taiwan, which is legally not separate from China and is recognised by no major nation.

Scotland really does not want to become a new Taiwan.

The PRC holds enough sway to prevent Taiwan gaining widespread legal recognition, but I think it's pretty hard to argue that it is not de facto independent given that it is entirely self governing and just about every major player has officially unofficial diplomatic relations with it.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
The Taiwan comparison has to be the dumbest one yet.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think Scotland, and indeed Britain would love to have the high quality electronic and semi-conductor manufacturing industry of Taiwan.

They make pretty much all the motherboards and memory for all the computers around the world.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

because no-one gives that much of a poo poo, not even the catalans, they only got a 42% turnout for their last referendum.

If they manage to get a good majority then things might be different.

No-one gives a poo poo? Is that right?

Here's a million Catalans marching for independence

It's funny how your 'fundamental right' has become mired in turnout percentages and processes being 'recognised' as your ideas unravel.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/595112367358406656

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

No-one gives a poo poo? Is that right?

Here's a million Catalans marching for independence

It's funny how your 'fundamental right' has become mired in turnout percentages and processes being 'recognised' as your ideas unravel.

not really, self-determination requires a majority of people supporting it.

A million catalans marching shows that there is widespread support for it, clearly, but until they either forcibly declare independence from spain and set up as an independent country, or get a good victory at the polls there is not much for the UN to support or even weigh in on, for now it's an internal issue especially as it's peaceful.

But also as we know the UN is mired in politics and does not always effectively uphold the lofty goals which it aims to support.

However, plenty of people around the world support Catalan independence.

Also over a million people marched against Blair's war. Didn't stop it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

JFairfax posted:

This is a really, really dumb interpretation of that figure. The last referendum had no legal standing and was not authorised by the Spanish government, so it was just a grandstanding exercise for the separatists. Unionist voters stayed at home because they regarded it as illegitimate, which is why Yes won overwhelmingly. You can't use the turnout as any indicator of the strength of feeling about the issue.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

JFairfax posted:

practically speaking Taiwan is an independent country. Come on, the US relations with the place are pretty normalised.

Practically speaking Taiwan is an important chit in the US-China frenemy relationship. Practically speaking it has no representation in the UN, anyone who recognises it faces immediate diplomatic penalties from the Chinese, and the Chinese reserve the right to invade it as a 'province in rebellion' at any time. US relations with Taiwan aren't normalised - it started with full recognition of the ROC and was *downgraded* when the world slowly opted to recognise the PRC.

Self-determination is an ideal in international politics, that's true, but it's also an ideal balanced by the opposing ideal of 'territorial integrity'. In reality both usually end up as excuses used to justify decisions made according to national interests.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

not really, self-determination requires a majority of people supporting it.

Interesting.

Does this mean labour should oppose Brexit on the grounds that a majority of people didn't express their support for it ?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

big scary monsters posted:

Appealing to charters and declarations isn't really necessary when you can point to a much more fundamental rule of international relations: if you can get away with it then it is legal.

This is why Nepal does not have the right to self-determination while Taiwan apparently does despite the PRC's protests. Kosovo probably just about does but we haven't quite decided yet. Scotland would have the right if the people of Scotland agreed on it in a referendum, Middlesbrough most likely not without a couple decades laying the groundwork first. Cornwall, we'll be finding out shortly.

Nepal's a sovereign nation. You mean Tibet.

And that's a ridiculous comparison to make - Taiwan does because of the specific political situation after the Civil War and that's it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is a really, really dumb interpretation of that figure. The last referendum had no legal standing and was not authorised by the Spanish government, so it was just a grandstanding exercise for the separatists. Unionist voters stayed at home because they regarded it as illegitimate, which is why Yes won overwhelmingly. You can't use the turnout as any indicator of the strength of feeling about the issue.

Well yeah, I was being a little flippant with that comment.

It's a tricky situation because Spain obviously do not want such a prosperous part of the country leaving.

I'm confused as to what you are saying though. I know it's a very important issue in Spain and Catalonia and I feel that a referendum results for self-determination cannot be regarded as legitimate without the turnout being significantly higher than 50%.

Are you saying that if the turnout would have been higher that No would have won?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

Interesting.

Does this mean labour should oppose Brexit on the grounds that a majority of people didn't express their support for it ?

If I had called the referendum I would have required a 2/3rds majority of those voting to support it and maybe a 2/3rds turnout as well.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

If I had called the referendum I would have required a 2/3rds majority of those voting to support it and maybe a 2/3rds turnout as well.

But it didn't. It had a simple majority requirement with only a minority of voters voting for the winning outcome.

Are your principles - that a majority of possible voters should be necessary - at odds with the labour leadership's?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The PRC holds enough sway to prevent Taiwan gaining widespread legal recognition, but I think it's pretty hard to argue that it is not de facto independent given that it is entirely self governing and just about every major player has officially unofficial diplomatic relations with it.

Yeah but we're saying something about "if you can get away with it then it's legal". But it's not legal, the status of Taiwan is fundamentally ambiguous, full legal independence for Taiwan is seen by China as an act of war. And without US support, I suspect Taiwanese independence would collapse quite rapidly.

The process seems to be the opposite of what is being suggested - that there's a legal principle for self-determination that can only be thwarted by the actions of powerful interests. No, the legal principles, just like facts on the ground, *are* the actions of powerful interests.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

OK so what happens when nobody votes "enough" either to remain in the EU or leave it, because it wasn't a yes/no vote, it was a stay/go vote?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think that everyone knew and agreed to the terms of the referendum going into it, so to complain about them afterwards when you don't get the result you want is not helpful.

the public voted for brexit, and the public gets what the public wants.

doesn't bother me, I don't live in the UK anyway and have no plans to.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Taear posted:

And that's a ridiculous comparison to make - Taiwan does because of the specific political situation after the Civil War and that's it.

Tibet is never getting Independence because it has the only clean fresh water source in china

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

OK so what happens when nobody votes "enough" either to remain in the EU or leave it, because it wasn't a yes/no vote, it was a stay/go vote?

what?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

I think that everyone knew and agreed to the terms of the referendum going into it, so to complain about them afterwards when you don't get the result you want is not helpful.

So your 'fundamental right' now requires an absolute majority....unless it doesn't.

You've served up a delicious steaming pile of nuance this morning. Thank you.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jBrereton posted:

The status quo remains. This is what happened with the 1979 Scottish devolution referendum. 51.62% of the people who voted voted for devolution but they needed 40% of the total electorate to vote Yes to devolution, & with 64% turnout that didn't happen, so the status quo remained.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

The status quo remains. This is what happened with the 1979 Scottish devolution referendum. 51.62% of the people who voted voted for devolution but they needed 40% of the total electorate to vote Yes to devolution, & with 64% turnout that didn't happen, so the status quo remained.
That's been a feature of the past, sure, but if you want to change the system entirely maybe the whole thing has to change.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Incidentally I am going to be surprised if the government lets the SNP have its referendum before autumn 2019.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

So the UK will get Brexit anyway but 20 years later and in a form that nobody is particularly thrilled with.

That sounds about right.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

JFairfax posted:

Are you saying that if the turnout would have been higher that No would have won?
No, I said that you can't judge strength of feeling from the turnout and that if voters on one side of the debate hadn't boycotted the unofficial referendum, the other side wouldn't have picked up 80% of the vote. I made no prediction about which side would win an official referendum.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pissflaps posted:

So your 'fundamental right' now requires an absolute majority....unless it doesn't.

You've served up a delicious steaming pile of nuance this morning. Thank you.

it is a fundamental right to decide on self-determination, and usually that is through a plebiscite which for such a matter require a majority.

how is this confusing for you?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LemonDrizzle posted:

No, I said that you can't judge strength of feeling from the turnout and that if voters on one side of the debate hadn't boycotted the unofficial referendum, the other side wouldn't have picked up 80% of the vote. I made no prediction about which side would win an official referendum.

oh yeah that's true, well I wasn't being entirely serious with my comment of no-one gives a poo poo.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

it is a fundamental right to decide on self-determination
Hey remember when the British and French landed in Vietnam in '45 to stop their self-determination, because fundamental rights don't actually exist?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

So the UK will get Brexit anyway but 20 years later and in a form that nobody is particularly thrilled with.

That sounds about right.

People were pretty thrilled about the Scottish Parliament in 1997 when the referendum happened. 74.29% voted for the Parliament, 63.48 voted for tax varying powers, though admittedly they ended up being quite poo poo powers for the first 15 years of it's existence. But the Scottish Parliament itself? I was still in school when the referendum went down but I remember the general excitement surrounding it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

oh yeah that's true, well I wasn't being entirely serious with my comment of no-one gives a poo poo.

Don't worry nobody will have made the mistake of taking you seriously you're all over the place.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

JFairfax posted:

it is a fundamental right to decide on self-determination, and usually that is through a plebiscite which for such a matter require a majority.

how is this confusing for you?

You say 'usual'; could you give an example?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

Hey remember when the British and French landed in Vietnam in '45 to stop their self-determination, because fundamental rights don't actually exist?

I'm an optimist when it comes to human nature and sadly humans are relentlessly lovely and love to murder and oppress each other.

I personally think that humanity is capable of so much more, but apparently those who believe in the oneness of life on this earth don't often make it to positions of power at the top of militaries or government.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rustybear posted:

You say 'usual'; could you give an example?

Liberia, Norway, Iceland, Samoa, Algeria, Malta, Bahrain, Djibouti, Micronesia, Slovenia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine (1991), Uzbekistan, Macedonia, Eritrea, Moldova, Croatia.

Those are some of the ones that got independence after referenda, there are plenty of others that had referendum and voted no.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

These really are exciting times in UK politics. This must have been how people felt under Cromwell: bewildered and terrified.

Not really, by the time he became Lord Protector and was running the joint things had mostly stabilised. You're thinking more of the Rump.

(Also, leaving aside Ireland, Cromwell was probably one of our better rules by and large)

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jeremy Corbyn
39 mins ·

The 2014 Scottish Independence referendum was billed as a once in a generation event. The result was decisive and there is no appetite for another referendum.

Labour believes it would be wrong to hold another so soon and Scottish Labour will oppose it in the Scottish parliament.

If, however, the Scottish parliament votes for one, Labour will not block that democratic decision at Westminster.

If there is another referendum, Labour will oppose independence because it is not in the interests of any part of the country to break up the UK.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Sorry man, that is not a proper link to what Jeremy actually said and is therefore completely false and bad for Corbyn.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Taear posted:

Quite right, I'm an idiot.

Fangz posted:

No, the legal principles, just like facts on the ground, *are* the actions of powerful interests.
That's exactly right and I don't think I disagreed with it? I don't think you can talk about rights and states in this context as if they are inherent properties of the universe - they are valid exactly as far as international powers allow them to be.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 13, 2017

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Goon posted:

Sorry man, that is not a proper link to what Jeremy actually said and is therefore completely false and bad for Corbyn.

https://www.facebook.com/JeremyCorbynMP/posts/10155152094518872

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

JFairfax posted:

Jeremy Corbyn
39 mins ·

The 2014 Scottish Independence referendum was billed as a once in a generation event. The result was decisive and there is no appetite for another referendum.

Labour believes it would be wrong to hold another so soon and Scottish Labour will oppose it in the Scottish parliament.

If, however, the Scottish parliament votes for one, Labour will not block that democratic decision at Westminster.

If there is another referendum, Labour will oppose independence because it is not in the interests of any part of the country to break up the UK.

This makes sense but he didn't explain it like this yesterday. I don't think his position has changed, I think he's not great at doing interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So this week is trump's first true chance to completely destroy the global economy as the US is about to hit its debt ceiling and while campaigning he said the US should just default lol

• Locked thread