Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

Sakurazuka isn't saying that harassment isn't an issue. They're saying that what's happening to jim isn't the same as sexual harassment.

Saying two things are dissimilar isn't the same as saying that one doesn't exist or isn't an issue at all.

It's not sexual harassment, but it is regular harassment of which Jim Sterling, noted games yeller who I don't much care for, is the victim of. Because he gave a game a good score instead of a great score. The people getting mad about the scoring are the ones that need to be shamed, not the dude who wrote it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wait there's a new Toejam and Earl?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

are we still getting mad at review scores during the new game renaissance?

Did we all finish

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Gravity Rush 2
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Tales of Berseria
Yakuza 0
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
Nioh
Night in the Woods
Horizon Zero Dawn
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Snipperclips
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Nier: Automata

?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No I'm having lunch at my parents and I'm real bored. :(

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

VideoGames posted:

At least the Crash remake doesn't look as odd and disappointing as the new toejam and earl :(

The new Toejam and Earl literally looks like a flash game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ninja Gaiden Black is a perfect game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

Did we all finish

Gravity Rush 2
Tales of Berseria
Yakuza 0
Nioh
Night in the Woods
Horizon Zero Dawn
Snipperclips
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <- playing through this now
Nier: Automata <- this comes next

?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Wait there's a new Toejam and Earl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laMURYkJO1s

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

It's not sexual harassment, but it is regular harassment of which Jim Sterling, noted games yeller who I don't much care for, is the victim of. Because he gave a game a good score instead of a great score. The people getting mad about the scoring are the ones that need to be shamed, not the dude who wrote it.

A person can say that there is a difference between "a person is being harassed online and people agree that the people doing the harassing are being shits regardless of whether the person being harassed was being purposefully inflammatory or not" and "a victim of sexual assault should not be blamed for the way they dress and act, it's not their fault if they are sexually assaulted" while still believing both are important issues.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sakurazuka posted:

No I'm having lunch at my parents and I'm real bored. :(

do your parents know it's 930 in the morning and are you doing anything to stop their insane early lunch

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

FirstAidKite posted:

A person can say that there is a difference between "a person is being harassed online and people agree that the people doing the harassing are being shits regardless of whether the person being harassed was being purposefully inflammatory or not" and "a victim of sexual assault should not be blamed for the way they dress and act, it's not their fault if they are sexually assaulted" while still believing both are important issues.

That's a fair point to which I agree entirely. I respect Lurdiak and zaphod tbh.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

FirstAidKite posted:

This is a very, very charitable reading.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phantasium posted:

Did we all finish

Gravity Rush 2
Tales of Berseria
Yakuza 0
Nioh
Night in the Woods
Horizon Zero Dawn
Snipperclips

?

Is Night in the Woods good? I like strong narrative games but everything about the aesthetic is kinda telling me "stay away."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Phantasium posted:

Did we all finish

Gravity Rush 2
Tales of Berseria
Yakuza 0
Nioh
Night in the Woods
Horizon Zero Dawn
Snipperclips

?

I 100%ed Woolly World when it was on WiiU and man is that game deceptively difficult. A couple of the bonus stages are loving hard as hell. Very Nintendo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

do your parents know it's 930 in the morning and are you doing anything to stop their insane early lunch

Do I need to link the Wikipedia time zones page?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Not very funky imo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Macaluso posted:

I 100%ed Woolly World when it was on WiiU and man is that game deceptively difficult. A couple of the bonus stages are loving hard as hell. Very Nintendo

Have you played the 3DS one? I finished the WiiU one (which was very good) but I'm not sure about getting the 3DS one if it's the same with only a few differences.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Doctor Spaceman posted:

His career is built on saying provocative things. It's why his videos are titled things like "Steam Needs To Stop Selling Toys Full Of Cum" and "Why It's Morally Okay To Pirate All Of Nintendo's Games", it's why Digital Homicide sued him, and it's why people like him.

The company which attempted to sue hundreds of Steam users over negative reviews emphatically did not sue James Nicholas Stanton because he was provocative.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

This is a very, very charitable reading.

I believe in Sakurazuka until they prove they meant otherwise.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Do I need to link the Wikipedia time zones page?

if you think it would help them. something needs to be done

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I thought I was kind of a badass at the game and then I encountered the bonus level where you must ride a Bullet Bill's trail while keeping it in sight and alive and I was just like :stare:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Is Night in the Woods good? I like strong narrative games but everything about the aesthetic is kinda telling me "stay away."

Imagine there's a giant neon sign with the word "YES!!!" right in your face

bloodychill posted:

Have you played the 3DS one? I finished the WiiU one (which was very good) but I'm not sure about getting the 3DS one if it's the same with only a few differences.

I haven't no, only the WiiU one

codenameFANGIO posted:

I thought I was kind of a badass at the game and then I encountered the bonus level where you must ride a Bullet Bill's trail while keeping it in sight and alive and I was just like :stare:

That one and the one where you're chased by the giant piranha plant had me getting legit video game angry playing the game. It was great

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

If you think that's bad, I 100%'d it co-op and man that just makes some of it sooo much worse hahaha

That naval piranha level, man. God drat. The revenge of naval piranha.

e: wait, I guess I didn't 100% it really since I didn't collect all of the miiverse stamps. Are we including those? If we aren't, then yeah, 100%ed, but if are including them, then nope.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah it's loving great and it has really good writing. If you liked Life is Strange you'll like it too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gah

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

bloodychill posted:

I own both and the only huge difference is 3ds has more amiibo skins. I am two Worlds in and they have only given me one of the Poochy levels. It is really fun and I have played it a bunch of times but yeah, that's it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Do fans in other mediums give a poo poo about reviews? Pretty sure movie reviews are seen as a novelty.

No because the only movies the general public sees anymore is Marvel branded films and they steal everything else so the concept of "buying advice reviews" is a dead concept

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

codenameFANGIO posted:

I own both and the only huge difference is 3ds has more amiibo skins. I am two Worlds in and they have only given me one of the Poochy levels. It is really fun and I have played it a bunch of times but yeah, that's it.
Sounds like a good game for people who don't have a WiiU or when the sale eventually comes around and I want to replay it :)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Night in the Woods looks great and I only heard good things about it. I haven't bought it yet though, finishing HZD will probably take weeks and then there's Nioh, Nier: A and Yakuza 0 to buy and that's like half of this year set for me already.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I am really glad I don't follow YouTube video game dudes and just play games myself, these people all sound awful.

Also what is the video game people are playing that is making them racist, please tell me so I can avoid it

Same here

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm trying to learn a board game in tabletop sim, a game called Quarriors. Hopefully I will be able to play it with others some day since it looks like fun :) I hear it isn't that great but I like the idea of just having a whole bunch of dice and rolling and seeing who manages to end up winning after 20 minutes or so.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I own both and the only huge difference is 3ds has more amiibo skins.

Oh my gooooood *immediatley runs out and buys 3 copies*

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Sounds like a good game for people who don't have a WiiU or when the sale eventually comes around and I want to replay it :)

It's a very good game and I didn't mind buying it twice.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

In Training posted:

Oh my gooooood *immediatley runs out and buys 3 copies*

There is a Waluigi Yoshi.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is it about Zelda that it seems to have the most rabid superfans? I mean, I liked Link to the Past but I don't think it changed my life, and I never dug into any of the later ones

*looks around cautiously*

Don't tell anyone I said this, but...

*looks around again*

you haven't missed much

Seriously, though, here's my big contrarian stance on Zelda: Ocarina of Time was great at the time but rides on nostalgia now. Majora's Mask holds up. Wind Waker has great aesthetics, atmosphere, music, and story (for a Zelda game), but the actual game part is pretty lackluster (and I say this even though I'd list Wind Waker in my top 3 Zelda games, all the stuff I said was great really does propel it upwards for me). Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword just dive head-first into linearity and, for me, boredom.

I am, however, happy that the most recent two (non-Four Swords) Zelda games are the two most exciting ones I've ever played, though, and for different reasons.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

There is a Waluigi Yoshi.

Post it

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Harrow posted:

Seriously, though, here's my big contrarian stance on Zelda: Ocarina of Time was great at the time but rides on nostalgia now.

Disagree emphatically. I played Ocarina 3D as my first Zelda game last year. I know they made a number of improvements to the game but it absolutely holds up, and the only N64 games I've got nostalgia for are GoldenEye and Mario Kart.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Disagree emphatically. I played Ocarina 3D as my first Zelda game last year. I know they made a number of improvements to the game but it absolutely holds up, and the only N64 games I've got nostalgia for are GoldenEye and Mario Kart.

Totally fair. I actually haven't played the 3DS version, and the last time I replayed I found myself struggling against the (now-unfamiliar) N64 controls, the frame rate, and all of that. You're probably right that, with the 3DS updates, it's great.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm also not a fan of Ocarina of Time. I don't think Zelda works all that well in 3D in general though. Wind Waker's aesthetic are amazing but I wasn't blown away by the gameplay. I haven't played BOTW yet though.

Link Between Worlds was perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oot is very good but also very boring, [very loudly and clearly] to me

• Locked thread