Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

big scary monsters posted:

Quite right, I'm an idiot.

That's exactly right and I don't think I disagreed with it? I don't think you can talk about rights and states in this context as if they are inherent properties of the universe - they are valid exactly as far as international powers allow them to be.

Well i'm really just saying JFairfax is wrong

64 bit wrongness, it's the way of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jose posted:

So this week is trump's first true chance to completely destroy the global economy as the US is about to hit its debt ceiling and while campaigning he said the US should just default lol

This would cause a global recession :allears:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Not that it's a UK issue but didn't the Republicans vote to allow another 9tril of debt in a draft budget under trump or did that not in fact happen in the end?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Well i'm really just saying JFairfax is wrong

64 bit wrongness, it's the way of the future.

im perfectly correct, 128bit EEC

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol England is so hosed, they get exactly what they deserve. Good luck Scotland.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

JFairfax posted:

Jeremy Corbyn
39 mins ·

The 2014 Scottish Independence referendum was billed as a once in a generation event. The result was decisive and there is no appetite for another referendum.

Labour believes it would be wrong to hold another so soon and Scottish Labour will oppose it in the Scottish parliament.

If, however, the Scottish parliament votes for one, Labour will not block that democratic decision at Westminster.

If there is another referendum, Labour will oppose independence because it is not in the interests of any part of the country to break up the UK.

Blah blah blah we're morons blah blah blah.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oliwan posted:

lol England is so hosed, they get exactly what they deserve. Good luck Scotland.

We won't vote for independence though. The fundamental economic questions that scared folk towards the status quo in 2014 still remain, even while the UK's own economic future is murky as gently caress. Something would need to change in the next 18 months, Brexit would have to be exceptionally bad.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The right to self-determination is balanced by the respect of the territorial integrity of the state in international law and, as per the Quebec judgement where these issues hashed out, there is no explicit international right to secession nor is there an international prohibition on it - external self-determination as a right is constrained to the decolonization context and internal self-determination (democratic representation and full legal participation in governance) is deemed a fulfilment of the general principle of self-determination of peoples outside of this context.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
A coin flip, but both sides of the coin just have question marks on them and also it landed in fresh dogshit.

My vision for Scotland's future.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

cant wait to die in the British unification wars sometime in the 2040s

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ed sheeran has 9 of the top 10 singles in the UK currently lol we deserve something bad for that

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Jose posted:

Ed sheeran has 9 of the top 10 singles in the UK currently lol we deserve something bad for that

And 14 of the top 15. I'm glad pop music has reached the singularity it was hoping for.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

We won't vote for independence though. The fundamental economic questions that scared folk towards the status quo in 2014 still remain, even while the UK's own economic future is murky as gently caress. Something would need to change in the next 18 months, Brexit would have to be exceptionally bad.

Brexit's gonna be exceptionally bad.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

HJB posted:

And 14 of the top 15. I'm glad pop music has reached the singularity it was hoping for.

The singularity is a ginger pube-bearded fatty?

quote:

Brexit's gonna be exceptionally bad.

Seconded. Given how mega loving idiotic the Tories are and their handling of it, there's a very small slim chance Brexit won't be a complete clusterfuck.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I imagine we'll have to invent exciting new words that go beyond 'clusterfuck'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HJB posted:

I'm glad pop music has reached the singularity it was hoping for.
Is this pop eating itself or more people just tuning out of what's mass market popular and into their own filter bubbles/musical echo chambers? Music has always had fragmented scenes, but it's never been easier to be part of one without leaving your house.

WMain00 posted:

The singularity is a ginger pube-bearded fatty?
It's the ultimate distillation of AI/sci-fi fantasy, of course it is.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Fangz posted:

Superlargemassiveclusterfuck black hole.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Guavanaut posted:

Is this pop eating itself or more people just tuning out of what's mass market popular and into their own filter bubbles/musical echo chambers? Music has always had fragmented scenes, but it's never been easier to be part of one without leaving your house.

It's because there are only a couple of distinct groups who buy music these days, as opposed to stream/pirate it, so the music industry is going all out to focus on those groups. In Sheeran's case I think there's some loopholery afoot that is treating every track on his new album as a single but that's basically the idea.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Fangz posted:

omnifuck

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's also way more meaningless than it was in the past because of the numbers. Having loads of twitter followers who will come and see you play live seems to be the current metric.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

streaming has broken the singles charts because peolpe just listen to the same songs over and over

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Jose posted:

streaming has broken the singles charts because peolpe just listen to the same songs over and over

I recall a brief interview with someone who worked at the charts compilation company saying that they tried to factor that in by reducing the number of listens by some arbitrary amount.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jose posted:

Goon project: get Blue (Da Ba Dee) back to #1 in the singles charts.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Miftan posted:

omnifuck

autocyclic-reactive-fuckchain

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I'm really looking forward to when Ed Sheeran releases his integration and differentiation albums.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Overminty posted:

I recall a brief interview with someone who worked at the charts compilation company saying that they tried to factor that in by reducing the number of listens by some arbitrary amount.

googling got me a bbc article that 100 listens counts as a sale

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HJB posted:

It's because there are only a couple of distinct groups who buy music these days, as opposed to stream/pirate it
Do people even pirate music nowadays? It's easy enough to find most things on youtube/spotify/bandcamp for free instead of even bothering with some :filez: site.

People only seem to bother with that for movies or TV, not even games.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

autocyclic-reactive-fuckchain
I liked them, get them back in the charts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Do people even pirate music nowadays? It's easy enough to find most things on youtube/spotify/bandcamp for free instead of even bothering with some :filez: site.

People only seem to bother with that for movies or TV, not even games.

There are definitely people who pirate music. Spotify is poo poo when I'm out on the go because I live in the Scottish Highlands & mobile signals may as well not exist up in large parts of it. Including my bedroom. There's still P2P services out there like Soulseek, and certainly in the many different strains of the metal underground there are loads of blogs with links to cool poo poo. Like there's a great anarcho-punk/crust/anarcho black metal one I follow, & another for DSBM (scenes that Spotify isn't particularly good for anyway). Lots of the poo poo is demos and stuff from unsigned bands that are freely available, but some of it is undoubtedly straight up :filez:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

...BDSM Black Metal?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

...BDSM Black Metal?

Close. Depressive suicidal black metal. It's super goofy and dumb. Emo for metallers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Close. Depressive suicidal black metal. It's super goofy and dumb. Emo for metallers.

i thought that was just metal

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

if your black metal isn't discussing the worthless pointlessness of existence it's not doing its job imo

either that or it's dimmu borgir who I still have a soft spot for

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tesseraction posted:

This is worse than voting Leave

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

There are definitely people who pirate music. Spotify is poo poo when I'm out on the go because I live in the Scottish Highlands & mobile signals may as well not exist up in large parts of it. Including my bedroom. There's still P2P services out there like Soulseek, and certainly in the many different strains of the metal underground there are loads of blogs with links to cool poo poo. Like there's a great anarcho-punk/crust/anarcho black metal one I follow, & another for DSBM (scenes that Spotify isn't particularly good for anyway). Lots of the poo poo is demos and stuff from unsigned bands that are freely available, but some of it is undoubtedly straight up :filez:

Yeah the real use of the old piracy platforms these days is not so much that the music is free, but that it's available at all. Obscure bands, out-of-print records, demos and bootlegs, stuff that never made an official transition to digital or maybe even CD. Stuff like what.cd (RIP) and Wordpress accounts full of zip files are great for that.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

forkboy84 posted:

Spotify gives you the option to download your playlists to your device so you can listen offline.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Keep it British, keep it Anaal Nathrakh.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is it even piracy if you're downloading anarchist music? Most of the local acts of that inclination normally run on a pay-what-you-want basis.

I'm happy to throw some money the way of small acts, who the copyright system is functionally useless for in most cases anyway, on something like bandcamp than I am large acts, who are going to be on spotify or youtube anyway, so I guess it balances out without needing P2P sites or taping off the radio for anything but the most obscure stuff. Definitely moreso than would be the case a decade back.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

if your black metal isn't discussing the worthless pointlessness of existence it's not doing its job imo

Nah, there's great uplifting black metal. The Canadian band Iskra are great (obviously named after the Russian newspaper). Also their website just has links to download every one of their records. Great bunch. And there's a dude who records as Panopticon and did an album all about his home state of Kentucky, including a couple of covers of old pro trade union songs that the coal miners would sing back in the day when unions were still cool.

Also, Dimmu Borgir are a grave sin and yet at least they aren't Cradle of Filth.

Oops, meant to include a link to a DSBM song, just for giggles. That dudes screams are certainly a thing.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 13, 2017

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Dead Goon posted:

Keep it British, keep it Anaal Nathrakh.

Boorman's Excalibur is a great movie and I refuse to accept this desecration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
DSB-ML is a revolutionary vanguard splinter group from the German Sports Association.

• Locked thread