Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
If you don't have a lot of 6* characters, I highly recommend buying out the stock of "cheap" 160 currency 6* awakening mats and Metal Cactuars toward the end of currency events, once you've got the really good stuff.

Having the flexibility of a large 6* lineup is important in the grand scheme of things, and will make gimmick counters easier to deal with. Aside from Ace and Emperor, nothing in the below image is exceedingly rare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Varance posted:

If you don't have a lot of 6* characters, I highly recommend buying out the stock of "cheap" 160 currency 6* awakening mats and Metal Cactuars toward the end of currency events, once you've got the really good stuff.

Having the flexibility of a large 6* lineup is important in the grand scheme of things, and will make gimmick counters easier to deal with. Aside from Ace and Emperor, nothing in the below image is exceedingly rare:

I count three event exclusives :shepface:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

I count three event exclusives :shepface:
They're 4* base, so it is realistic to have them if you were making all of your daily pulls during that event. Even discounting the 3 limited-time units and the two 5* units, that's 10 common 6*s in the lineup.

I've got Xiao, Mercedes, Primm, Snow, Tilith, Agrias, Garland and Warrior of Light all waiting in the wings for their 6* turn right now. And Delita, but we don't speak of him.

Edit: Looks like ratings moved quite a bit on the JP side over this last week. Spreadsheet will get an update when I get home from PAX East.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 13, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Varance posted:

Luka is best for "No White Magic" conditions, as her big heal is not even considered magic at all. Otherwise, Refia is overall the better character and will benefit from Dualcast, where Luka will not.

The magical trinity of healers on the JP side is as follows:

Ayaka (best healing throughput by miles, has dualcast innately)
Y'shtola (Dark Fina with heals, has dualcast innately, also AoE damage reduction)
Rem (Exdeath with heals, has dualcast innately)
Tilith (powerful if MP-intensive heals, best buffs, mana battery, can 100% prevent stat down debuffs, etc.)
Aria (a better Luka, focused on buffs instead of offence)
Hunter Fina (also a better Luka, plus she can mana battery)
Luka (gets around certain pesky win conditions, best offence for a 4* base, easily replaced by Aria later on)
Refia (tanky healer that can take hits, nigh indestructible if set up right)

Note that we only have Luka and Refia in the final 6* forms right now. Tilith is still at 5*, and the rest have not been released yet. For filthy casuals, Tilith is going to be your brass ring, as the nuke mages and Ayaka are 5* base, but there's no guarantee we'll get her again. There's also no guarantee we'll get Hunter Fina, as she's a Monster Hunter crossover char. Barring those two, Aria is probably going to be the next easily attained "good" healer to come along, as she has the same AoE raise that Ling is known for, plus Protectga/Shellga.

We're going to get the second Brave Frontier collab. The only question is when, and if it'll be later than expected like the first one.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Another consideration is that Gumi will add global exclusive materia to the banner that may or may not impact a units usefulness.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Another consideration is that Gumi will add global exclusive materia to the banner that may or may not impact a units usefulness.

Global exclusive orlandu skills that make him twice as effective?

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
What I'm wondering is if the global exclusive units (such as Dracu Laswell or Yun) and awakenings (such as for Medius and Cerius) will get enhancements down the line at some point.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Varance posted:

Luka is best for "No White Magic" conditions, as her big heal is not even considered magic at all. Otherwise, Refia is overall the better character and will benefit from Dualcast, where Luka will not.

The magical trinity of healers on the JP side is as follows:

Ayaka (best healing throughput by miles, has dualcast innately)
Y'shtola (Dark Fina with heals, has dualcast innately, also AoE damage reduction)
Rem (Exdeath with heals, has dualcast innately)
Tilith (powerful if MP-intensive heals, best buffs, mana battery, can 100% prevent stat down debuffs, etc.)
Aria (a better Luka, focused on buffs instead of offence)
Hunter Fina (also a better Luka, plus she can mana battery)
Luka (gets around certain pesky win conditions, best offence for a 4* base, easily replaced by Aria later on)
Refia (tanky healer that can take hits, nigh indestructible if set up right)

Note that we only have Luka and Refia in the final 6* forms right now. Tilith is still at 5*, and the rest have not been released yet. For filthy casuals, Tilith is going to be your brass ring, as the nuke mages and Ayaka are 5* base, but there's no guarantee we'll get her again. There's also no guarantee we'll get Hunter Fina, as she's a Monster Hunter crossover char. Barring those two, Aria is probably going to be the next easily attained "good" healer to come along, as she has the same AoE raise that Ling is known for, plus Protectga/Shellga.

I didn't know "trinity" meant "nine". I thought it meant "three." :monocle: :p

Also, that guy talking to the Gumi guy at PAX should have asked when Maxwell and Tillith are getting their 6* forms.

Also also, pulled on today's half-price because it was a daily quest, blue => gold => my first Shine.

Varance posted:

This is an excellent idea and people should do this if they can.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You can also be insanely retarded like me and grind out enough currency to buy everything in the store that isn't repeatable, 70k Mog and all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So, I see that Nox has a Mac version as of about a month ago.

It's time.

How I mine 4 TM?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ayaka and Tilith have similar healing output. Tilith because you cant out output aoe full heals or aoe full revives. But what ayaka has that tilith doesn't is way better flexibility. She can strip buffs AND heal bomb your entire party in one turn while tilith can only do one or the other. She can raise someone back to full health and cleanse the party of status conditions when she has innate 100% resistances to conditions that would prevent her from acting in a turn. Combined with Reraise makes her the strongest main healer in the game, no need to run support healer/dps roles she can do it all. Tilith still has a role as one of the strongest mps batteries in the game and regardless of how expensive her abilities are, her innate sustain means she can keep casting them no matter for how long if you have enough max MP.

The "Better Lukas" aren't really better than her post enhancements. She has a particular niche that fits well in a party that has support dps like Rikku in them. With enhancements she has Tilith level MP sustain and unmatched regen healing. Its basically a cast and forget that'll last the entire match only having to reapply them if someone dies. Its like casting curaja every turn, for free and without consuming her turn. Her weakness is that being an ability based healer means she doesn't have the sort of flexibility a magic based one has, lack of full raise hurts as well and reraise becoming more common in high end support and healers means she cant match up to them. Rikku shores up a lot of the ability based healers weakness though.

If Rikku and Tidus are on the same banner I'm going to whale hard on them. I want to make a gimmick water based team with Tidus/Rikku/Mercedes/Luka + (WoL).

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So, I see that Nox has a Mac version as of about a month ago.

It's time.

How I mine 4 TM?

There's instructions in the Reddit thread, but it's basically Install nox, install game (you may still need to use an APK), log into account, set up macro, push button, wait.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
I booted this up yesterday on my phone and actually played the game instead of just doing the dailys and let the TM macro farm. Got to the Drowned City and unlocked Odin. So many Megacites saved up and still not 2*....

Really enjoying the story so far no clue why you guys say it's complete dogshit. Sure it's no FFVII but it's not that crappy either.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Varance posted:

I want your cupid arty... I burned almost all my tickets trying to get him. Instead I got 4 cupid lunas and Marie :laffo:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Seeing Ling's stupid expressionless mug is forever gonna piss me off over those 37 pulls that didn't get me one of her.
Rikku can't show up soon enough.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ling is incredibly stupid, just with her base evasion and 5k hitpoints it's very rare that she actually dies. Worst case scenario I am pretty sure she will always be relevant in arena and events like this one where a boss can be paralyzed.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

rabidsquid posted:

Ling is incredibly stupid, just with her base evasion and 5k hitpoints it's very rare that she actually dies. Worst case scenario I am pretty sure she will always be relevant in arena and events like this one where a boss can be paralyzed.

You don't even need to do that if you have Ling. Daunting Step will bring his attacks down to hitting for 100-200 vs a 6 star character.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rabidsquid posted:

Ling's evasion doesn't mean anything against magic and as soon as we get Shantotto's 5 star form any non-whale team can bring a single one of her for max damage elemental chaining, or two Shantottos which will outright kill pretty much anyone who doesn't start with 100% wind resist. :shrug:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am sure the AI will definitely be blasting me with chain attacks now for some reason

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vax posted:

I booted this up yesterday on my phone and actually played the game instead of just doing the dailys and let the TM macro farm. Got to the Drowned City and unlocked Odin. So many Megacites saved up and still not 2*....

Really enjoying the story so far no clue why you guys say it's complete dogshit. Sure it's no FFVII but it's not that crappy either.

There are no, uh, percents between 100% and 0%. All or nothing with some people. Big numbers get bigger, you know.

The story is passable.

rabidsquid posted:

She's real, real nice, and lets me put forward an actually useful friend unit without having TM-ed myself up. Speaking of which...

Go RV! posted:

There's instructions in the Reddit thread, but it's basically Install nox, install game (you may still need to use an APK), log into account, set up macro, push button, wait.

Good... gooooooood...

:getin:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Go RV! posted:

Isn't APK injecting what gets you in trouble with their ban hammer, or am I mixing up my terminology?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Cartoon Man posted:

Isn't APK injecting what gets you in trouble with their ban hammer, or am I mixing up my terminology?

APK injecting is using an APK that had been modified, not just the one you can download from the google store.

The modded APK sends false data or manipulates the received data or some such, but "injects" it directly into the existing code so that it appears legitimate. This is a reason it's been hard to track for people who don't abuse it and get reported.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 13, 2017

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

Sideloading with the APK is not Injecting. Sideloading is just installing the game without using the Play store

APK injection is more or less intercepting the network traffic back to the Gumi servers and saying it should return "x" where "x" is 100 Trust moogles and a dominion ring.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I vaguely remember that Nox (or was it Memu?) phones home in a way some people didn't like? What do I need to do to protect myself?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I vaguely remember that Nox (or was it Memu?) phones home in a way some people didn't like? What do I need to do to protect myself?

You can go in your firewall settings and make a filter for Nox to block all outgoing traffic set on a list of IPs provided in a reddit thread. Maybe block incoming traffic from those IPs too? I only blocked outgoing. :shrug:

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lumbered through Gilgamesh for the first time and for kicks did it with 5. Not sure how they can make these more interesting. This one and the Parade are just mindless button mashers with the few thresholds that are the only obstacles. For this one, Greg killed Cecil at all three instaKO chances, and because of that it was cake. Butz had stone blade and 2 element weapons, Lightning had waterblade and the other 2 element weapons, DC Refia, Cecil, and friend Noctis. Nobody other than Cecil died and used 4 boxes of chocolates for items.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

I blacklisted all the IPs in this thread back when I used to use Nox:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4trpp9/attention_nox_app_player_users/

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Skyridge posted:

Am I ever going to need more than one Venomous Edge? I have three Lings, but the only person I can think of who wants one is Cupid Artemios and I want to start cranking out more TMRs.

Never got any response to this.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Skyridge posted:

Never got any response to this.

It's a good weapon for CoD if she is on your arena team.

Dual Wield golem staff + Ling TMR.

Barrage or blade blitz and watch enemy team stop moving.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I had really hoped they would announce what's next because it feels like this white phantoma event has been going on for an eternity.

EDIT: That player's choice :eyepop: well guess I'm not rolling on the raid banner at all.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 14, 2017

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
So I've finally socked away enough moogles to give myself another tm, the first one being dw for noctis. Not sure what to drop them on though. I'm leaning pretty heavy towards dual cast for Refia, but I could also get an Excalibur for noctis (and have 2 moogles left over). I could also get doublehand but it seems like a better idea to load up noctis as much as I can since he's my only true super damage unit.

Any thoughts? I really like the idea of juicing my noctis up to near 700 Atk, but dual cast Refia seems incredibly useful for those trial fights. Any input is much appreciated!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I had really hoped they would announce what's next because it feels like this white phantoma event has been going on for an eternity.

Well guess what, it' FF14 raid time! Get yourself a free Yshtola and stuff (likely after spending 100+ raids I bet)

Also, THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE:
-Noctis
-Gilgamesh
-Refia
-Chizuru
-Cecil
-Zidane
Pulls come with 1% moogles for specific units.
THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN

Note people's choice and FF14 banner are running simultaneously: the former is 1 week and the latter lasts till April 4th.

HGH fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 14, 2017

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Bleh, I might not even pull on the People's Choice. The only unit I want is Gilgamesh.

FXIV though, that looks exciting. How does Y'shtola compare to Refia as a healer?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
More hybrid unit. She can basically switch to magic DPS at the expense of healing by using a 2 turn buff/debuff on herself(Magic +200%, Spirit -100%).
She has Aerora/ga, Stonra/ga, Cura/ja, regular Raise, Holy, Esuna, Protectga, Shellga and most importantly innate dualcast. She has a passive that is Refresh+Camouflage. Her ultimate ability is a single target 100% heal. Finally her LB is a one turn 30 to 50% flat damage reduction.
So what you're giving up here compared to Refia is resistance to most status effects, Full Raise, and Embolden.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HGH posted:

More hybrid unit. She can basically switch to magic DPS at the expense of healing by using a 2 turn buff/debuff on herself(Magic +200%, Spirit -100%).

Just in case anyone isn't familiar with FF14, this is basically how healers in that game work. You have to swap between a healing stance, which boosts your healing stat and decreases your damage stat, and your damage stance which reverses that because healers have to do twice the work in that game. So that's a neat reference.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
FFBE Global now has a Youtube channel. For those who didn't believe me about Fujimoto being fluent in English, well, now you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WKVm_Li7zk

The "please look forward to it." answer from the video is just about what I got at PAX East when asking about Orlandeau, just with more pausing.

Really was expecting for them to hold off on 14 for a few months to match Stormblood. We also don't have 6* Tilith or Orlandeau for this event, which JP had. In other words, Global's at a disadvantage versus when this was released for JP.

------------------------

For those interested in Y'shtola or Minfilia, you're going to have to keep your orbs on cooldown early on. The difficulty of Ifrit keeps going up as more Global players clear the trial, so if you don't get in top difficulty clears early on, you may find yourself unable to clear him later when he hits Level 10+, and may not get everything out of the Gacha that you need to get her up to speed before the end of the event.

Example of Ifrit at Level 16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM3oZawJlDM&t=360s

Varance fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 14, 2017

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Maybe they'll do another simultanous release on JP and Global with some kind of Stormblood related banner.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Y'shtola vs Refia

So, Refia's our best healer in terms of raw healing, with good health and defense, a bunch of negative status immunities and great spells like Embolden and Full-Life. What's so special about Yoshi Cola?

For starters, she's got Presence of Mind, which is a fancy name for "Dualcast." This means she can do things like double Curaja or cast Protectga and Shellga on the first turn. While she lacks Full-Life, she is capable of casting Raise and Curaga to decent effect.

Next, Y'shtola has a passive that functions as both Auto-Refresh and a 50% reduced chance for her to be targeted by attacks. Even though she's squishier than Refia, she's less likely to be attacked, which is a good trait for a healer. The Auto-Refresh also helps in long fights, where MP becomes an issue.

Y'shtola also carries over the Cleric Stance mechanic from FF14. For those unfamiliar, Cleric Stance lets healers deal increased damage while the effects is active, at the cost of reduced healing. In FFBE, it functions as a buff that drops your Spirit into the group while doubling the character's Magic for 2 turns. Once Cleric's Stance is up, she can put her offensive spells to good use, which include Aeroga, Stonega and Holy... and she can Dualcast them. This is great for bosses that can be paralyzed or stopped for a few turns, allowing you to get some extra offense in from your healer.

Two other things of note to her: Her limit break is an AoE damage reduction of 30-54%, which can be very useful against enemies where you have advanced notice of a big attack coming down the pipe. She also has Benediction, which will heal a target to full and doesn't count as magic (can be used while silenced).

Where does Refia shine that Y'shtola does not?

1) Y'shtola is unable to cure petrification. You'll need to equip her with Stona for that.
2) Y'shtola does not have status ailment protections like Refia does. Y'shtola getting silenced, petrified or paralyzed is a big deal, so you will have to equip her for that (or have necessary status removals ready). Y'shtola is also a bit squishier, with a bit less health and defense.
3) Y'shtola does not have offensive team buffs. Embolden is great, especially if you're running a physical-leaning team. Most current 6* chars fall into this category.
4) Y'shtola only has regular Raise, which even combined with Curaga will not bring a character like Paladin Cecil anywhere near full health.

Also of note: To get the most out of Y'shtola's offensive magics, you'll have to equip her like an offensive caster, which means you'll be sacrificing (even more) healing potency to make her hit hard. This is not a big deal if you're running Paladin Cecil or Queen, as they can offheal if needed. Note that Y'shtola's event gear does NOT cover this point - it's almost entirely spirit in nature. If you picked up that Lovely Rod from the Valentine's Day event, you've got a good start, as the only current 6* caster that can use the thing is Dark Fina.

Varance fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 14, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HGH posted:

Well guess what, it' FF14 raid time! Get yourself a free Yshtola and stuff (likely after spending 100+ raids I bet)

Also, THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE:
-Noctis
-Gilgamesh
-Refia
-Chizuru
-Cecil
-Zidane
Pulls come with 1% moogles for specific units.
THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN

Note people's choice and FF14 banner are running simultaneously: the former is 1 week and the latter lasts till April 4th.

The announcement says 3* Moogles handed out "for some" with every summon. 1% Moogles are 1*. What aren't I realizing here?

Watch me not get a Noctis again, by the way!

Varance posted:

For those interested in Y'shtola or Minfilia, you're going to have to keep your orbs on cooldown early on. The difficulty of Ifrit keeps going up as more Global players clear the trial, so if you don't get in top difficulty clears early on, you may find yourself unable to clear him later when he hits Level 10+, and may not get everything out of the Gacha that you need to get her up to speed before the end of the event.

What do you need from the Gacha to get her up to speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I am so ready to dump these Type-O characters. Cinque literally doesn't do poo poo, and the puncher guy is about as bad.

I can wait to squish them into some one else.

• Locked thread