Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah. Maybe something like locking in one of the balls if you got it right.... but then it'd be too easy to brute force it. Tough to make it work for everybody, but like I said, there's at least tons of shrines around.

I feel like less people ITT would have had problems with it if it weren't for the fact that the constellation wall looked visually identical to every completely-unimportant wall decoration in both that and every prior shrine. Even something simple like making the constellations blue would probably have been sufficient to say "hey this is important, look over here".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The puzzle design in this game is awesome. So many different solutions I would never think of without reading this thread.

It's way different than previous 3D Zelda games where you had to do the exact thing to solve the puzzle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vah Ruta is weird, because it's the closest Divine Beast to where the game sends you first (Kakariko Village) but I don't think it's a good one to start with. I say this having started with it myself. All the Zora stuff in the build-up to it is great, but the dungeon itself is definitely the wrong one to start with. It lets you progress farther than it should without the map and doesn't communicate that the maps are required for these dungeons until too late as a result. It has some neat puzzles towards the end, though (I especially liked needing to maneuver the trunk so the water would douse some fire).

I'd say the Rito one, Vah Medoh, is probably the best one to start with. It has simpler puzzles, a really easy boss, and an incredibly useful power as a reward. The downside is that it's one of the ones that's farthest away from where you get the "Free the Divine Beasts" quest so I think a lot of people do it towards the end. I did it second, myself.

The other downside is that there's basically no story around it and it really sticks out once you do the other three how little actually goes on with the Rito one. All of the others make you do something special to get to the town in the first place and send you on at least one actual side quest before doing the dungeon. The Rito's one is so phoned in--"I dunno, can you shoot a bow? Do this mega-easy challenge. drat, okay, let's do this poo poo." Oh, and they have NPC buddies with actual personalities, too :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

....did anyone not Google this?

I did not find it difficult.

Hardest shrine for me was the one with the rising and lowering water level where you needed the water to be down to get into the monk room, but up to get the treasure chest in the same room. It took me like 30 minutes to figure out the very simple solution.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well unlike the other races the Rito have their poo poo together.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

....did anyone not Google this?

i left, came back later, stared at the wall some more because it was relevant, saw the markers, and then figured it out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

I'd say the Rito one, Vah Medoh, is probably the best one to start with. It has simpler puzzles, a really easy boss, and an incredibly useful power as a reward. The downside is that it's one of the ones that's farthest away from where you get the "Free the Divine Beasts" quest so I think a lot of people do it towards the end. I did it second, myself.

The other downside is that there's basically no story around it and it really sticks out once you do the other three how little actually goes on with the Rito one. All of the others make you do something special to get to the town in the first place and send you on at least one actual side quest before doing the dungeon. The Rito's one is so phoned in--"I dunno, can you shoot a bow? Do this mega-easy challenge. drat, okay, let's do this poo poo." Oh, and they have NPC buddies with actual personalities, too :v:

The other problem is the local Rito hero is pretty much a non-character compared to the others. He's not even a descendant of the Champion like they are.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Question about in-game shops below. I'll spoiler it just to be safe:

Does anyone know when the arrows shops in Kakariko & Hateno restock, if ever? I cleaned both out, especially all of the bomb arrows in Hateno, and despite much travel and a blood moon or two they have not restocked. Any ideas? I've had no luck searching online

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

JustJeff88 posted:

Question about in-game shops below. I'll spoiler it just to be safe:

Does anyone know when the arrows shops in Kakariko & Hateno restock, if ever? I cleaned both out, especially all of the bomb arrows in Hateno, and despite much travel and a blood moon or two they have not restocked. Any ideas? I've had no luck searching online

If you have more than, not sure, somewhere between 50-100 of a type of arrow? Nobody will ever restock it until you run below that number. Hyrule anti-weapon-hoarding agreement, or something.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Vah Ruta is the first (and only) one I've done too, and I can agree that it might not be the best first example.

Are the others more clearly tied to the runes? I've seen several people now square-peg themselves really far in Vah Ruta and literally never understanding that it's "the Cryosis dungeon", even using ridiculous amounts of arrows to deflect ice cubes and whatnot.

I mean, I think it's super cool that you can solve everything in this game in so many ways and that brute force is a legit strategy.. But I can't help but think there are a lot of people who think the puzzles in this game are awful because they mash their face into them until it works and thinks that's the intended solution :v:

e: I can't believe this puzzle literally forces you to knock the ball down with an explosive arrow, stasis it mid-air, hit it with a boomerang and then quickly switch to bombs and time both the square and round bombs' detonation in just the right intervals to nudge the ball over to the pre-placed cryosis pillar that redirects the ball into the hole!!! bs game

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 13, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The other problem is the local Rito hero is pretty much a non-character compared to the others. He's not even a descendant of the Champion like they are.

Yeah, I'm really baffled as to how that whole plot ended up so threadbare. It bums me out, too, because I really like the Rito. I even like that the Rito Champion was basically just Falco, right down to the feather coloration.

Your Computer posted:

Are the others more clearly tied to the runes? I've seen several people now square-peg themselves really far in Vah Ruta and literally never understanding that it's "the Cryosis dungeon", even using ridiculous amounts of arrows to deflect ice cubes and whatnot.

Not really, no. They all require you to use a variety of runes.

Your Computer posted:

e: I can't believe this puzzle literally forces you to knock the ball down with an explosive arrow, stasis it mid-air, hit it with a boomerang and then quickly switch to bombs and time both the square and round bombs' detonation in just the right intervals to nudge the ball over to the pre-placed cryosis pillar that redirects the ball into the hole!!! bs game

Which puzzle are you talking about? Because if it's the one I'm thinking of there's a much simpler way to do it with nothing but Cryonis.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Which puzzle are you talking about? Because if it's the one I'm thinking of there's a much simpler way to do it with nothing but Cryonis.

that was the joke :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

that was the joke :v:

:downs:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

raditts posted:

The Ocarina of Time works the same way.

I love this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's another thing I love: unless I missed it, the game saves the classic Zelda "Hyrule Field" melody for Hyrule Castle. I don't think I've heard it anywhere else and it's such a great choice to hold it back for a climactic moment. Of course it's possible I'm really unobservant and missed it elsewhere and therefore praising them for nothing, but I'm usually pretty on the ball when it comes to picking out recognizable melodies.

Everything about the way this game draws to a close just makes me wish, totally against any sort of logic, that it was the last Zelda game that has anything to do with the classic Zelda characters, races, themes, and villains. Even if this was somehow the last actual Zelda game, I'd be sad that we wouldn't get a follow-up to this game's amazing world design, openness, and freedom, but I'd be satisfied with the conclusion. (Thankfully, I really doubt it will be the actual last Legend of Zelda game.) But it feels so climactic and final in a way none of the others ever have. Even if this one is somehow the last in the timeline and stays that way, it won't feel the same if we go back to an earlier point in the timeline and have Link and Zelda fighting Ganon again. After all this, it seems like we--in real life--should be leaving that story behind. I know we won't, because c'mon, this is The Legend of Zelda we're talking about, but I do sort of wish we would.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So far, the three Shrine Riddles (the overworld quests to reveal a hidden shrine) that I've had to google were all issues of, "I was exactly one degree of thought away from the answer".

Just things like, the previous way I interacted with a similar or identical object in the world doesn't work this time. Like, the first round holes that I solved on my own, I was supposed to shoot arrows through. These other round holes I had to google because arrows didn't work, I was supposed to blow wind through. Probably later there will be another set of round holes that I'm just supposed to blow up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

deadly_pudding posted:

So far, the three Shrine Riddles (the overworld quests to reveal a hidden shrine) that I've had to google were all issues of, "I was exactly one degree of thought away from the answer".

Just things like, the previous way I interacted with a similar or identical object in the world doesn't work this time. Like, the first round holes that I solved on my own, I was supposed to shoot arrows through. These other round holes I had to google because arrows didn't work, I was supposed to blow wind through. Probably later there will be another set of round holes that I'm just supposed to blow up.

I know what the second one was Warbler Nest, I presume? and that really needed a nudge to go talk to the first kid who was there already just to move things along smoother.

I also reckon in general the Torch and Korok Leaf should've just been Runes or permanent tool items, just to save the hassle of every Shrine and puzzle having to place on one-hand.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Harrow posted:

Here's another thing I love: unless I missed it, the game saves the classic Zelda "Hyrule Field" melody for Hyrule Castle. I don't think I've heard it anywhere else and it's such a great choice to hold it back for a climactic moment. Of course it's possible I'm really unobservant and missed it elsewhere and therefore praising them for nothing, but I'm usually pretty on the ball when it comes to picking out recognizable melodies.

Everything about the way this game draws to a close just makes me wish, totally against any sort of logic, that it was the last Zelda game that has anything to do with the classic Zelda characters, races, themes, and villains. Even if this was somehow the last actual Zelda game, I'd be sad that we wouldn't get a follow-up to this game's amazing world design, openness, and freedom, but I'd be satisfied with the conclusion. (Thankfully, I really doubt it will be the actual last Legend of Zelda game.) But it feels so climactic and final in a way none of the others ever have. Even if this one is somehow the last in the timeline and stays that way, it won't feel the same if we go back to an earlier point in the timeline and have Link and Zelda fighting Ganon again. After all this, it seems like we--in real life--should be leaving that story behind. I know we won't, because c'mon, this is The Legend of Zelda we're talking about, but I do sort of wish we would.

The Hyrule castle music is some good poo poo, and I think by far and away the best track in the game. When you're kitted out and storming the castle at the end it lends a huge amount of weight to it all for sure.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I am enjoying the Internet love affair with Sidon because it is justified. He's the best character in the game. And probably the best Zelda character in a long time.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Decided to restart my game after beating the 4 beasts, I felt like I was rushing it. Taking the new game slow now, trying to explore each new region as much as I can, finding as many sidequests and seeds and such as I can before moving on to the next one. I was playing it too much like a Zelda game in an open world game rather than an open world game set in the Zelda universe, if that makes sense. There is so much stuff I missed. I'm also taking my time to hone my combat skills; just beat my first guardian ever (outside of shrines) only using a pot lid :smug:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
so anyone want to warrant any guess at what the extra map feature that's coming out is?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

comingafteryouall posted:

There's a door that you have to open that way to progress in the shrine when you get cryonis, so it's already in your bag of tricks at that point.

edit: lmao I didn't even comprehend your spoiler cause that solution is crazy

It took me a long while to figure this out because it had been so long since I did the initial cryonis puzzle that I forgot it was something you could do

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
re: the constellation shrine, my tendency when I can't figure out a puzzle is to way overthink it. I saw the numerals on the wall and thought the whole thing was supposed to be some kind of calculator or abacus. I was trying to count the stars on the far wall using the left side as the tens place and the right side as the ones when I saw the shape on the front left wall and immediately put it together.

I'm pushing fifty shrines now, and the only shrine I've had to google was the paraglider one with the tower with the entrance on the back side.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harlock posted:

I am enjoying the Internet love affair with Sidon because it is justified. He's the best character in the game. And probably the best Zelda character in a long time.

I dunno, Kass has gotta be pretty high up there too. That bird is a real bro, hunting down the Ancient Songs specifically to help you, aware all along of who you really are, and he's a pretty awesome Dadbird too :allears:.

Sade posted:

I'm pushing fifty shrines now, and the only shrine I've had to google was the paraglider one with the tower with the entrance on the back side.

That one took me a bit too before I figure I may as well circle around the tower to see if there's anything there :cripes:.

Kashuno posted:

so anyone want to warrant any guess at what the extra map feature that's coming out is?

What extra map feature :confused:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There hardest part of the loving hole in one golf shrine is knowing how to position Link to get the trajectory you want. It's impossible for me to tell if the ball is going to travel straight or to the side despite appearing to position Link consistently between shots. I burned through the sledge and two of my weapons and didn't get the ball in so I suicides to redo the shrine. Turns out the progress through the shrine is undone, as I was expecting, but my items were still destroyed and the treasure chests were empty. gently caress that shrine I don't know if I'll be back to get the second shot.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno, Kass has gotta be pretty high up there too. That bird is a real bro, hunting down the Ancient Songs specifically to help you, aware all along of who you really are, and he's a pretty awesome Dadbird too :allears:.

That one took me a bit too before I figure I may as well circle around the tower to see if there's anything there :cripes:.

What extra map feature :confused:

DLC 1 has hard mode, cave of trials, and a "map feature"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

There hardest part of the loving hole in one golf shrine is knowing how to position Link to get the trajectory you want. It's impossible for me to tell if the ball is going to travel straight or to the side despite appearing to position Link consistently between shots. I burned through the sledge and two of my weapons and didn't get the ball in so I suicides to redo the shrine. Turns out the progress through the shrine is undone, as I was expecting, but my items were still destroyed and the treasure chests were empty. gently caress that shrine I don't know if I'll be back to get the second shot.

I found this a lot easier if I using L to lock on the ball and line myself up that way.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kass is the greatest. Speaking of, i remember Regy Rusty mentioning you "finish" his storyline by completing all his shrine quests, reading his diary, and then seeing him at Rito Village. done the former things but he hasn't shown up at the village yet. Any ideas?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If you have more than, not sure, somewhere between 50-100 of a type of arrow? Nobody will ever restock it until you run below that number. Hyrule anti-weapon-hoarding agreement, or something.

I hadn't even thought of this! I'm going to test it when I get home. I have at least 40, sometimes up to 70 or so, of every special arrow apart from Ancient and over 400 regular arrows. This is due to my hoarding tendencies, raiding a lot of boko camps and shops, and blatant abuse of Amiibos. I've been hesitant to use especially bomb arrows because they are fairly rare and the shops weren't restocking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kashuno posted:

DLC 1 has hard mode, cave of trials, and a "map feature"

As it's DLC, I'm guessing it'll be an option to throw markers on unfound Shrines or something.

Escobarbarian posted:

Kass is the greatest. Speaking of, i remember Regy Rusty mentioning you "finish" his storyline by completing all his shrine quests, reading his diary, and then seeing him at Rito Village. done the former things but he hasn't shown up at the village yet. Any ideas?

He should be up on the flight platform near the Shrine. He's playing a very quiet tune rather than his regular one.

And to add onto Kass I was pretty chuffed when it turned out his little ditty is actually the start of the Legend of Zelda theme :allears:.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wonder if they intended for the final boss to just sit there and fire at nothing, not even taking note of Link's position at all, or if it's a bug or something. seriously, that might be the worst final boss i've ever seen in a video game. Oh well, I guess it doesn't particularly matter with how much you get out of the actual game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I feel like it is a curse of open world games to have a very disappointing final boss. They are just..never good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I figured out since then that you also need to complete the shrine quest in Rito village involving the children going to practice their singing so do that if you haven't yet.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

My apologies. I didn't mean to correlate any actual specific mental health conditions with not liking MM, but hosed up.

Not liking Majora's Mask is retarded.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
It seems strange to me that ancient weapons are pretty bog-standard normal weapons but Ancient Arrows are complete loving destruction on anything they hit :raise:

I shot one at a Lynel and he literally vanished. Those things are nuts.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
It's not a new feature but I'd love more stamps so I can specify which material I found where. Critters, ore deposits, mushrooms, etc. I'm pretty excited about the second DLC coming around the Holiday which will "expand the story, add challenges and a new dungeon."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It seems strange to me that ancient weapons are pretty bog-standard normal weapons but Ancient Arrows are complete loving destruction on anything they hit :raise:

I shot one at a Lynel and he literally vanished. Those things are nuts.

Am I doing Ancient Arrows wrong? I shot one at a Major Test of Strength and it just did regular damage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gaspy Conana posted:

It's not a new feature but I'd love more stamps so I can specify which material I found where. Critters, ore deposits, mushrooms, etc. I'm pretty excited about the second DLC coming around the Holiday which will "expand the story, add challenges and a new dungeon."

I figure it's gotta be an unearthed Hylian Divine Beast. Come onnn giant robot horse! :rolldice:. Let's see you say no to stabling that, you lousy Stable Master...

And yeah, more stamps sounds like a good bet on that "map feature".

deadly_pudding posted:

Am I doing Ancient Arrows wrong? I shot one at a Major Test of Strength and it just did regular damage.

Gotta shoot them in the eye with it. They will one-shot Guardians that way too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Also, I was pretty wrong in my earlier sentiments. This game is really really good. The depth and attention to minute details is insane.

It just takes a while to get the motion going and the first part is more or less just a tutorial. I have some minor complaints, but yeah, this game is dope--even on the wii-u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

I don't think they work in the shrines like they do in the overworld.