Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Are there any villages/settlements outside of the main Rito and Gerudo towns in the western half of the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gaspy Conana posted:

Are there any villages/settlements outside of the main Rito and Gerudo towns in the western half of the map?

No. They're all clustered in the southeast except for stables and the 4 racial towns.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Runcible Cat posted:

And if you have Wolf Link run around on plains with him, pick up the meat drops, cook and sell them.

I...did not know I could use that amiibo :getin: You can use amiibos once per day?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Seaniqua posted:

Long story short - it was a failed goon-made RPG with time-travel elements. It included this famously silly anecdote to explain time travel:

You'll often see people play on this on the forums. Usually in the form of, "Imagine _________ on the edge of a cliff," or "_________ works the same way."

Ahh, gotcha, never heard the meme used before. The more you know.

The Ruins of Lon Lon Ranch are awesome but sad. :smith: Why the gently caress can't the Horse God give you a whistle that will call your horse wherever you are?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

GobiasIndustries posted:

I...did not know I could use that amiibo :getin: You can use amiibos once per day?
You can recall him any time with it if he's out of whistle range, as well. Except when his hearts run out, then you have to wait until the next (real) day.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Friendly reminder that prior to Breath of the Wild, people used to defend Skyward Sword as a good game.

lol.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kirios posted:

Friendly reminder that prior to Breath of the Wild, people used to defend Skyward Sword as a good game.

lol.

I've seen a few people who still prefer it to Breath of the Wild :shrug:

Like, if your ideal Zelda is a linear story that takes you from dungeon to dungeon, Skyward Sword's probably a great Zelda for you.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Skyward Sword is a great game.

Breath of the Wild is alsoa great game.

:shrug:

The only bad Zeldas are LttP and LBW.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Norns posted:

I also game as ludicrously high frame rates on pc. It has nothing to do with this though?

It's washed out and the frame rate is bad when connected to a TV. There's a very noticeable difference between it docked and in handheld.

The point I was trying to make is that if anyone would suffer from a choppy frame rate it would be people like myself that normally game at a consistently high frame rate. In any case it's obviously a personal thing because it hasn't bothered me a bit on the switch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the main issue with skyward sword is the intro being way too long and restrained, but it has some really good dungeons and the wiimote plus stuff worked for me (though i understand it's incredibly finicky)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll admit the frame rate bothers me on the Wii U. I can't go into any town without dropping to 20 fps and while 30 is fine with me, 20 is noticeably choppy and awkward to play with. Luckily it doesn't often drop that low in other contexts, though I do sometimes get total freezes mid-combat for a second or two.

According to Digital Foundry, at least the frame rate in towns is better on Switch, so I'll look forward to that when I replay it in the future.

And to think this game was intended for Wii U to begin with :psyduck: They're pushing that poor machine beyond what it was ever meant to do.

Zore posted:

:staredog:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I disliked Skyward Sword so much that I didn't even follow pre-release news for BotW because I figured the Zelda franchise was no longer for me :o:

Turns out they're the polar opposite in everything but art style, and consequently BotW is one of the best games ever created!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Skyward Sword is unironically in my top 5 Zelda games, TP and MM are near the bottom

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As long as everyone agrees LA is the best game, we can all have peace.

(Honestly it's pretty amazing how different people's opinions on the Zelda games are. Most people love ALttP and OoT but other than those the rest are literally all over the place)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kirios posted:

lol.

Skyward Sword was the best 3D Zelda game. Of course, that's now past tense.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, Breath of the Wild edged out Skyward Sword for me. But I still think Skyward Sword is really good.

Also very good and underrated Zelda games; The Oracle twins which round out my top 3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I actually want to know what people liked about Skyward Sword, because I dropped it pretty early--it just didn't click with me in any way at all. I've only really read/watched negative opinions on it so I'd actually really like to see the other side. I think I owe it another chance, probably.

Your Computer posted:

I disliked Skyward Sword so much that I didn't even follow pre-release news for BotW because I figured the Zelda franchise was no longer for me :o:

Turns out they're the polar opposite in everything but art style, and consequently BotW is one of the best games ever created!

I had such a weird hype cycle with Breath of the Wild. When it was first announced that it would be a truly "open world" Zelda, I was excited, because that was years ago and I hadn't hit open world fatigue yet. Then they didn't show off very much for a long time and I kind of forgot it was even happening. Then I started to get open world fatigue and got worried that Breath of the Wild would just be tedious and ultimately just as linear as any other 3D Zelda, but with more time spent traveling.

Then from about the E3 reveal onward I was on a hype train that wouldn't stop and it's refreshing not to be disappointed in the slightest.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Prior to BotW I was all about that Wind Waker #1

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zore posted:

Yeah, Breath of the Wild edged out Skyward Sword for me. But I still think Skyward Sword is really good.

Also very good and underrated Zelda games; The Oracle twins which round out my top 3.

:yikes:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My top three are Breath of the Wild, Link Between Worlds, and Wind Waker, I think. It's been so long since I've played Link to the Past or the original Zelda that I don't really feel comfortable expressing an opinion on their quality at all--I can't separate what's nostalgia and what the games' actual merits are--and I only played a few hours of Skyward Sword so I can't really comment on that one, either.

Link's Awakening is very close to cracking the top three, too, but it's edged out by Wind Waker just because of how beautiful that game is and how much fun so much of it is, even though I think it has some disappointingly linear dungeons at times.

As good as I think Breath of the Wild's main musical theme is, nothing beats Wind Waker's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR1OKYxKGGQ

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Zore posted:

Zore posted:

Yeah, Breath of the Wild edged out0 Skyward Sword for me. But I still think Skyward Sword is really good.

Gotta say, this is a bad gimmick to adopt

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I think I owe it another chance, probably.

I really want to give it another try, but only if there's some sort of romhack that removes Fi. All the "you picked up item!", all the "there's a 86% chance" and all the times where you have a nice cutscene or dialogue that explains something and then Fi pops up to explain everything one more time. People like to complain about Navi but she was basically nonexistent compared to Fi.

If that exists now or in the future I'd give the game another try and probably enjoy it a lot more (although I still think the tiny separated areas and hub suck too)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I actually want to know what people liked about Skyward Sword, because I dropped it pretty early--it just didn't click with me in any way at all. I've only really read/watched negative opinions on it so I'd actually really like to see the other side. I think I owe it another chance, probably.

The dungeons are really good, you have a really dynamic and fun cast, Zelda gets to actually do poo poo and has a great arc, there's a lot of emphasis on 'overworld as dungeon extension' which they went whole hog on in Breath of the Wild etc.

Like there are tons of mechanics prototyped in Skyward Sword that are refined in Breath of the Wild; Item degradation, item upgrading, the sensor, hard mode, environmental puzzles in the overworld, 'challenge areas' where gameplay is mixed up etc. Its also chock full of weird little side-stories and details.

The only real mis-steps in Skyward Sword are that Fi is too intrusive and the motion controls for the sword don't work well for some people because of user error/faulty equipment/bad tutorializing.

Soul Glo posted:

Gotta say, this is a bad gimmick to adopt

Its not a gimmick? Oracle of Seasons/Ages are very good games. Like Wind Waker would be up there but it feels really incomplete. Its solid, but man you can tell there's a bunch of content stripped out :(

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 13, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I was all-in on this Zelda from the start because the first big exposition cutscene made it sound like she watched Link get pasted and just stomped into Hyrule Castle muttering "got to do every loving thing by myself I swear"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Playing through Oracle of Seasons and Ages now, they're kind of the Twilight Princess of 2D Zeldas to me. Not bad by any stretch, actually pretty good games for what they are. But also pretty unremarkable and overall forgettable and building on a base clearly established by a previous game which was more memorable (Link's Awakening whereas for Twilight Princess it was Ocarina of Time). They're not my least favorite 2D Zeldas because Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks exist, but I don't rank them highly either.

Speaking of the DS Zeldas, they're probably the Skyward Sword of 2D Zeldas even down to using a control scheme that I personally loathe but work well for some people apparently.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Best Zelda game is the 2D physics demo they built as a precursor to BotW.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

Like Wind Waker would be up there but it feels really incomplete. Its solid, but man you can tell there's a bunch of content stripped out :(

Wind Waker would probably beat Link Between Worlds on my list if they'd managed to squeeze in one or two more dungeons instead of the Triforce treasure hunt. The dungeons are pretty linear (with one or two exceptions) but they're fun, and I'd love another couple of those instead of sailing around looking for underwater chests. The HD version made the Triforce hunt infinitely more bearable (especially by sometimes just straight-up putting a Triforce piece where you would've found an untranslated map in the GameCube version), but I'd still prefer to do a dungeon or two to collect all the Triforce pieces instead.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zore posted:

Its not a gimmick? Oracle of Seasons/Ages are very good games.

They're good but every other 2D Zelda is better, except for Zelda 2 which is bad. But to poo poo on LTTP and LBW? lol

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
BotW actually carries over one thing that was extremely bad in Skyward Sword but really started in Ocarina, which is extremely "directed" conversations. It's clearly an artistic choice they're making, but it drives me crazy--every interaction goes as the same way:

Player input
Player control cut
Camera pan
Line of text
Camera reverse
Nonverbal reaction (eg Link fidgets or anime "uwaaaaaah!")
Camera pan/zoom back to speaker
Player control restored
Repeat

It's loving busy, it makes the simplest interactions take forever, and turning your inputs on/off like that just encourages mashing. It's the worst parts of text boxes and cutscenes combined. Skyward Sword just started with, like, three hours of it instead of thirty seconds

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK the framerate hasn't bothered me too much on the Wii U up until now - sure it sucks that every stable and town is pretty much locked at 20fps, but you're never fighting anything so I can deal.

But I just finished the Gerudo Divine Beast and it's pretty much 20 the whole time in there and felt even worse on the boss fight. Just so awful and unresponsive, yuck.

Also I've now done all the Divine Beasts and about 60 shrines - probably 30+ hours in and there's still so much left to do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Things Wind Waker did best:
- Music
- Charming characters
- Beautiful artstyle
- Exploration
- Bird girls

Most of those things have been done better since, but WW will always have a special place in my heart. It was clearly somewhat incomplete which is a shame, but it was an incredible game and everyone who hated it because it looked "too childish" can suck a lemon :colbert:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

clickbait reviews are coming in y'all, two 6/10s now.

I'd argue Breath's 97 is far more impressive than Ocarina's 99 in 1998 considering the concept didn't even back then, obviously.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Wind Waker is the best Zelda game.

Twilight Princess is the worst.

You can fill in the gaps. Thank you.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Jimquisition is about BotW. HEEEEERE WE GO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVseQ3RDa6s

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Harrow posted:

Best dungeon design by a mile in any of the 3D Zeldas, great upgrades, the combat system really worked well with some really cool bosses. The biggest problem is it really downplayed exploration but since all of the 3D Zeldas have been really lovely at that until Breath of the Wild I didn't mind (I'm looking at you Wind Waker with ten minute stretches of nothing if I ever want to go anywhere).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just did the northeast labyrinth. Why did people have so many issues with it? It was fun and let me practice parrying guardian blasts in a safe environment. I also finally have all the items from the 8bit link, so I don't have to save scum that anymore.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Why do people keep posting about the clickbait British dude. Who could possibly care.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Jimquisition is about BotW. HEEEEERE WE GO.

Having watched through the part that's actually about the game: I disagree with his take on weapon durability and I think the game would've actually been worse if you could or were expected to repair them. That'd tip it over into being tedious, I think. I do think weapons are full-on cartoonishly fragile in the early game and it's not a great introduction to the weapon system, though. And I think it helps to think of weapons as disposable tools instead of hard-earned RPG equipment.

Zore posted:

Why do people keep posting about the clickbait British dude. Who could possibly care.

His videos and website aren't ad-supported so he really has no reason to clickbait. :shrug: Attention-bait, sure, and he definitely has a habit of making his videos all about him and what's happening to him, especially lately. But I also agree with him on enough things (on other, non-Zelda subjects) that I'm not going to write him off. Like, I hate microtransactions in full-price games exactly as much as he does, even the "cosmetic-only" ones, and I find he's one of the few people out there making that argument.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 13, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kirios posted:

I'd argue Breath's 97 is far more impressive than Ocarina's 99 in 1998 considering the concept didn't even back then, obviously.

Like Mario 64, OoT received a well deserved "except in 3D this time" bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

A lot, and I mean a lot of people are talking about the durability system from a positive and negative perspective. I genuinely enjoy Jim's content even I disagree 100%. I think weapon durability absolutely owns in this game and I don't care about any weapons enough even if they "look cool" to not use them, but a lot of people do. :shrug: