Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lollerich posted:

That looks like they are barely getting 30 fps in 4k. :/

That's because the youtube video is encoded at 30fps, I believe.
It was apparently running at 60fps in 4k at PAX, but that was using a 1080ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SgtSteel91 posted:

Yeah, I have an unopened copy but I already got my fill of dark medieval fantasy from Dark Souls and Dragon Age. And the more I read posts in this thread that amount to "Witcher 3 good therefor MEA bad" the less I want to play it.

If you don't play W3 you'll have over a hundred more hours free to slam your head in a door, which is apparently your favorite hobby.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

And people that want to play a game less because of how much people can't shut the gently caress up about it is also inevitable, so what's your point?

Ahh yes, this game that is legit good I really don't want to play because of my stubborn indie love of underground and unknown things. Back to playing this charming Connect-Four clone on my iPhone, I suppose. Those pathetic fools, playing actual good games. Heh, what fuckin' losers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Drifter posted:

I really can't think of any worse subset of fans than an entrenched Nintendo only product.

I'm honestly unsure how you can say this when there are literally Witcher 3 fans in this very thread.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Drifter posted:

Ahh yes, this game that is legit good I really don't want to play because of my stubborn indie love of underground and unknown things. Back to playing this charming Connect-Four clone on my iPhone, I suppose. Those pathetic fools, playing actual good games. Heh, what fuckin' losers.

I was more getting at "People will be people, and yelling at people for being people is super weird"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

Honestly, I'd have to disagree. That was the first time I ever experienced such an explosion of outrage over something like a game before. It really caught me off guard. I liked most of the game, had fun playing it and thought the ending was lame but moved on. Like someone posted a while back the response far outweighed the "crime".
It was a bit crazy.

My reaction was basically "lol that ending was pretty lazy I wonder what people are saying abo... :stare:"

Then I went back to exploding stupid geth faces in the multiplayer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The EA support site predicts that you can supposedly have 1080 at 30fps on a gtx 1060.

https://help.ea.com/en/help/mass-effect/mass-effect-andromeda/are-you-ready-for-mass-effect-andromeda/?sf53085265=1#pc

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think the primary lesson Bioware should've taken from Witcher 3 ought to have been "attention to detail and polish is important", but they clearly haven't done that. I would settle for "fewer sidequests with more effort put into them" and they haven't done that either.

Although I am a sucker for lots of sidequests, crafting systems, and exploration/puzzle type stuff. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, and it really isn't good game design but I enjoy it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

marshmallow creep posted:

I'm pretty sure they never said that outright, but they did say they were looking at Witcher 3 and taking notes about quest design. We'll see if there's anything to that later this week.

"“But we’ve also observed what other games have been doing, like The Witcher. And it was very important for us that the quantity of scope doesn’t downgrade the quality of whatever you are doing there,” they said."

It's not a direct "We're like Witcher 3 now", but they drop it's name, specifically when talking about meaningful quests.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Nvidia are a bit more optimistic - I think the EA site is just promising a floor of 30.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/mass-effect-andromeda

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Excited to finally be able to play this game soon. I'm going to save my 10 hour preview until Sunday/Monday. To anyone that has played an EA game on early access in the past. If I'm playing it Monday into Tuesday at midnight, will it just ignore the time limit or will I need to quit/download a quick patch to keep going?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I was more getting at "People will be people, and yelling at people for being people is super weird"

But people yelling at people for being people is also people being people.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Drifter posted:

"“But we’ve also observed what other games have been doing, like The Witcher. And it was very important for us that the quantity of scope doesn’t downgrade the quality of whatever you are doing there,” they said."

It's not a direct "We're like Witcher 3 now", but they drop it's name, specifically when talking about meaningful quests.

So it sounds like maybe they did take a page out of TW3's book? I mean, what people ITT complain about is how much better TW3 looks, and even as someone who bounced off of witcher games in general I'd agree to that, but they're not talking about graphics there so much as making sure everything you do is enjoyable regardless of the scope of content.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

But people yelling at people for being people is also people being people.

mother of god, how deep does this go

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

A 1060 is ~4.5 terraflops, a PS4 is ~1.5 terraflops.

Unless the PS4 upscales from 300p or something, that's surely a mistake?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

So it sounds like maybe they did take a page out of TW3's book? I mean, what people ITT complain about is how much better TW3 looks, and even as someone who bounced off of witcher games in general I'd agree to that, but they're not talking about graphics there so much as making sure everything you do is enjoyable regardless of the scope of content.

quote:

Condominas explained that the BioWare team listened to the criticism they received regarding the tedious side quests in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Condominas dubs the issue as the "Hinterlands problem," where players must grind through unsatisfying side content in one location.

With Mass Effect: Andromeda, Condominas explains that BioWare has learned from its missteps and is making a push for more "meaningful" side content.

It's what it sounds like. We'll see what they actually implemented, though. The Hinterlands was also the first location I believe, which maybe means they've just kept all the same poo poo, but spread it out more evenly over the game. :shrug:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

All the way to the people being people at the top.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Serf posted:

I think the primary lesson Bioware should've taken from Witcher 3 ought to have been "attention to detail and polish is important", but they clearly haven't done that. I would settle for "fewer sidequests with more effort put into them" and they haven't done that either.

Although I am a sucker for lots of sidequests, crafting systems, and exploration/puzzle type stuff. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, and it really isn't good game design but I enjoy it.

Even Witcher 3 has some obvious filler with stuff like the random loot chests in the wild, but contracts that boil down to "kill this generic monster" still feel like they tell good little stories; this summer wraith exists because she was hung in a burning village, while this one was was created out of a scorned lover committing suicide. A Mass Effect quest to kill a Fiend would be functionally the same, but it very well might not land with the same impact for exactly that reason bolded above.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The point is that people bringing up TW3 aren't pulling it from thin air, Bioware themselves have invited such comparisons in promoting their game and it's fair to discuss it.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Spacebump posted:

Excited to finally be able to play this game soon. I'm going to save my 10 hour preview until Sunday/Monday. To anyone that has played an EA game on early access in the past. If I'm playing it Monday into Tuesday at midnight, will it just ignore the time limit or will I need to quit/download a quick patch to keep going?

For BF1 I had to quit out and let the game unlock properly so most likely same deal here

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

maybe I'm weird but I enjoy it when people make their complaints heard about a product they consider shoddy. I mean how else do you expect a game company to improve if you don't let them know, hey this ending was crappy

It went way too far in ME3's situation (but that's pretty hard to avoid in this day and age thanks to the anonymity of the internet), but I think the principle is good.

Of course the real trick would be just not to purchase more games from said company, but gamers are in aggregate probably the worst consumers around

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

All the way to backwards_gun.gif

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
When you guys say "it went too far" did people get killed over the ME3 ending or do you just mean they complained about it on the internet?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Phi230 posted:

Theyre p good

I thought they were shallow self insert wankery, to be honest.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Even Witcher 3 has some obvious filler with stuff like the random loot chests in the wild, but contracts that boil down to "kill this generic monster" still feel like they tell quaint little stories. A Mass Effect quest to kill a Fiend would be functionally the same, but it very well might not land with the same impact for exactly that reason bolded above.

Yeah, I remember taking on what I thought would be simple monster hunts, but each one had its own crafted area to move through and track the monster, and with Geralt's inner monologue it felt a lot more involved even if it was simple on paper. Small details and effort like that are what makes TW3 so drat good. I feel like Andromeda is at least attempting to do their own versions of the detective bits with the scanning and finding of clues and whatnot. I liked that mechanic in the Arkham games and in TW3, so I hope they can make it their own.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

When you guys say "it went too far" did people get killed over the ME3 ending or do you just mean they complained about it on the internet?

They started harassing people tangentially involved with the game in really creepy and uncomfortable ways.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey if you don't like hearing about TW3 you should probably avoid videogame forums. Every loving RPG that comes out will receive comparisons to one of the best RPG of all time.

It's not loving rocket science.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Bioware asked us to put a lot of hours into that trilogy, so yeah, a little anger was called for when they figured that a brief, vague, dark ending without significant variations would suffice. I still don't know what they could have been thinking, other than maybe "gently caress, we don't have time to produce more alternate scenes; let's just try for something enigmatic and hope for the best."

But as with almost everything gamers do, it got seriously out of hand.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Gamers aren't people.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

the ME3 ending killed my dog

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I want to say there were death threats and like, twitter bullying of tangentially related employees or something. Deffo some minor real world harrassment/shaming. I remember a cupcake thing that I think was done, but that was more like a peaceful protest than gamergate poo poo, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Honestly the scan mechanic in Andromeda looks preferable to me because I didn't like how Witcher Sense looked.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zore posted:

They started harassing people tangentially involved with the game in really creepy and uncomfortable ways.

For example? Like they tweeted at them that the ending sucked or they tweeted at them that the ending sucked and I know where you live?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

For example? Like they tweeted at them that the ending sucked or they tweeted at them that the ending sucked and I know where you live?

Like they threatened to rape female employees and sent pictures of her house.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Honestly the scan mechanic in Andromeda looks preferable to me because I didn't like how Witcher Sense looked.

Witcher sense was awful, but it wasn't a thing you should be using all the time, so I think it worked really well as a use it and lose it type of skill.
In the Batman games I was always torn between using detective mode vs regular vision because det mode was just so much more useful most of the time, but I didn't get the sweet visuals of regular vision.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

To make my stance clear about the mass effect 3 ending. They deserved all the CRITICAL poo poo they got. Not all the weirdo stalker doxx poo poo.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I mean Bioware has this problem apparently. Remember when Jennifer Hepler had to quit the company after the shitstorm that came her way when she said she'd like for games to have an option to skip the combat like you can skip the dialogue?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

epenthesis posted:

Bioware asked us to put a lot of hours into that trilogy
no

they released a product. if you get angry about your toys you are a broken person.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Zore posted:

Like they threatened to rape female employees and sent pictures of her house.

Oh god I forgot about that. :stonk:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Serf posted:

I mean Bioware has this problem apparently. Remember when Jennifer Hepler had to quit the company after the shitstorm that came her way when she said she'd like for games to have an option to skip the combat like you can skip the dialogue?

Hell I agree with her. Plenty of cool videogame stories my wife would love. But she doesn't like anything with more complexity than Chrono Trigger.

And loving thousands of hours of piccross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

cams posted:

no

they released a product. if you get angry about your toys you are a broken person.

It's okay to have healthy emotional investments in your hobbies. You're broken if you don't feel?