Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

The only person responsible for Brexit is Dave.
Nope.

If the Lib Dems had been less wank about helping out the poor in the first term of this government they wouldn't have voted to leave. Furthermore if he had not collaborated, there would have been no risk of a hung parliament next time and no brexit because of it (seeing as it was done to shore up internal party loyalty with the assumption they would not win a majority).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Sinteres posted:

The people who cynically campaigned for Leave to work on their populist credentials while secretly hoping for Remain deserve some blame too. Corbyn probably deserves some for half-heartedly campaigning for Remain while secretly hoping for Leave too.

Y'know, I'm starting to believe this is Sturgeon's schtick. Take a slump in popularity, campaign to leave again. Either Westminster says NO and you get a burst in ratings as the face of la resistance, or they say yes and you dominate news cycles for a year as the face of the YES campaign.

If May is smart she'll put the onus entirely on the Scottish people to show interest, and hope there's no taste for yet another referendum.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

jabby posted:

It is fairly telling that the SNP were regarded as to the left of Labour at the last election, yet have done basically nothing to protect Scotland from austerity and have basically been standard neoliberal gits.

To be fair the SNP loving love austerity. Like they literally cannot get enough.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

winegums posted:

Y'know, I'm starting to believe this is Sturgeon's schtick. Take a slump in popularity, campaign to leave again. Either Westminster says NO and you get a burst in ratings as the face of la resistance, or they say yes and you dominate news cycles for a year as the face of the YES campaign.

If May is smart she'll put the onus entirely on the Scottish people to show interest, and hope there's no taste for yet another referendum.

Can it be a shtick when this is the first referendum she has called as leader of the SNP & First Minister of Scotland? Also, not really sure SNP's popularity has slumped all that much. It could just be that the Scottish National Party actually think independence for Scotland is a good idea? Guess we'll see after the council elections in May.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Can it be a shtick when this is the first referendum she has called as leader of the SNP & First Minister of Scotland? Also, not really sure SNP's popularity has slumped all that much. It could just be that the Scottish National Party actually think independence for Scotland is a good idea? Guess we'll see after the council elections in May.

The conditions are hardly right for another referendum though. Most people don't want one, and support for independence is still less than 50% in the majority of polls. Also the timing she has chosen means the vote takes place while Brexit negotiations are still going on, so it could hardly be more disruptive. It's almost like she's daring the government to refuse her.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

forkboy84 posted:

I mean theres a line of argument that I'm no sure I completely buy into that says that the SNP is facing probably one of the first election cycles in the council elections where the big issues that were going to be on the table were not directly related to independence but were more related to criticisms of the budget and spending in Scotland, but now this move makes everything about independence again.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
All the Lords amendments have been defeated.

Do Labour get another opportunity to vote for it in the commons?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Welp, MPs voted down the amendment for EU nationals by a majority one larger than last time.

The MP who flipped to the government side? Ken Clarke.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

mfcrocker posted:

Labour were absolutely always going to be unionist on this

There's being unionist and there's being unionist though. I always expected them to oppose the idea of independence but had hoped Corbyn to come at the issue with a bit more nuance (as he tried to do with the EU referendum). Instead the tone from Labour HQ seems to be the same patronising oversimplistic shite we heard last time round. It's less about the position and more about the way they're advancing it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

All the Lords amendments have been defeated.

Do Labour get another opportunity to vote for it in the commons?
Don't think so?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
welp time to play ping-pong

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ThomasPaine posted:

There's being unionist and there's being unionist though. I always expected them to oppose the idea of independence but had hoped Corbyn to come at the issue with a bit more nuance (as he tried to do with the EU referendum). Instead the tone from Labour HQ seems to be the same patronising oversimplistic shite we heard last time round. It's less about the position and more about the way they're advancing it.
For starters it's barely Corbyn's job, he needs to remember Dugdale exists, secondly, there is no real nuance to be had in a binary referendum.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Forget it Flaps, it's Brexit-town

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

If anything these larger majorities just make me lose whatever fleeting respect I might have had for some Tory MPs.

I never expected Ken Clarke to flip, and for all the tough talk from the likes of Nicky Morgan and Anna Soubry they didn't have the balls to vote with the opposition.

EDIT: Labour peers are not going to engage in any more ping-pong, so the bill will clear parliament tonight unamended.

jabby fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 13, 2017

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jBrereton posted:

there is no real nuance to be had in a binary referendum.

The vote itself is binary, the issues informing it are not.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Article 50 triggered tonight. Welp. There we go folks. This is gonna be a ride.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pochoclo posted:

Article 50 triggered tonight. Welp. There we go folks.

Really? The bill only gives the Prime Minister the authority to do so, speculation puts it not being done until the end of the month.

vvv Haha, I wrote this and literally thought to myself 'Now I'M the Pissflaps.'

namesake fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 13, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

Article 50 triggered tonight. Welp. There we go folks. This is gonna be a ride.

No the bill just gives the government the right to invoke article 50.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's effectively the same thing. What, do you expect May -not- to trigger it at this point or what? Yes I understand actual negotiations don't start until she actually does it, but let's be honest, markets and companies will start executing contingencies about now.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 13, 2017

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

With the recent negative headlines over the budget its perfectly plausible that May will opt to trigger Article 50 asap in order to buy a few positive headlines from the Mail, Express, etc

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tigey posted:

With the recent negative headlines over the budget its perfectly plausible that May will opt to trigger Article 50 asap in order to buy a few positive headlines from the Mail, Express, etc

Having to organise/attend Treaty of Rome anniversary celebrations and the start of Brexit negotiations at the same time would annoy quite a lot of EU government officials.

Which is probably why May would do it, yeah.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

namesake posted:

Having to organise/attend Treaty of Rome anniversary celebrations and the start of Brexit negotiations at the same time would annoy quite a lot of EU government officials.

Which is probably why May would do it, yeah.
I like how the strategy for the negotiations is "lets gently caress off the EU as much as we possibly can before we even reach the table". We are being governed by children.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Meanwhile Boris just put his full support in the budget debate behind a new Royal Yacht paid for by private investment.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

I have to say, in all my life, you two are the first people I ever find that don't like Queen. Maybe brits are more likely to not like them? Prophets in their own land and all that.

Anti-monarchism was way more of a thing about 20 years ago; these things tend to go in cycles, there was a period of Vicky's reign where the monarchy was seriously unpopular too. There are still plenty of people who don't like the Queen and are just kinda 'meh' about her, though.

Edit: Wow, I should really learn to read better :shobon:

(I am 'meh' about Queen the band too, if that helps)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Someone should ask Corbyn how enthusiastic he is about unionism. As a number out of 10.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

It's effectively the same thing. What, do you expect May -not- to trigger it at this point or what? Yes I understand actual negotiations don't start until she actually does it, but let's be honest, markets and companies will start executing contingencies about now.

By that token, in the absence of opposition, they'd have done that weeks ago.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

forkboy84 posted:

Boris Johnson really shouldn't get away scot-free here. Yeah, Davey Pigfucker made a horrible mistake in mortgaging the country to hold his party together so he could stay PM while complacently assumed we'd never commit suicide, but I'm not letting all the others responsible get away with it. Gideon, BoJo, Gove, loving Tony Blair sticking his oar in despite him being pure poison, and while I don't think he half-arsed it Corbyn did do a pisspoor job of getting his message out, which is the main theme of his time as leader. A whole lot of blame to go around really.

They all did terrible stuff but if big Dave (or whoever decided at Tory HQ) hadn't made it a manifesto promise to stop votes going to UKIP then we'd all be fine.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

feedmegin posted:

Anti-monarchism was way more of a thing about 20 years ago; these things tend to go in cycles, there was a period of Vicky's reign where the monarchy was seriously unpopular too. There are still plenty of people who don't like the Queen and are just kinda 'meh' about her, though.

Edit: Wow, I should really learn to read better :shobon:

(I am 'meh' about Queen the band too, if that helps)

Huh? I was talking about music, so obviously it's Queen, the band. gently caress the monarch Queen, I hate royalty.

Also my advice to the thread is to dehumanise yourself and face to bloodshed, in general.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jBrereton posted:

For starters it's barely Corbyn's job, he needs to remember Dugdale exists, secondly, there is no real nuance to be had in a binary referendum.

Kezia Dugdale should probably be less poo poo before I give a gently caress about Corbyn standing on her toes. This goes for the majority of ScotLab MSPs.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
When does the Brexit rally start I'm hoping they'll persuade those MPs to vote against the article 50 bill.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pochoclo posted:

AFAIK it's supposed to happen on the 15th. Obviously nobody outside the government really knows though.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

jBrereton posted:

... there is no real nuance to be had in a binary referendum.

:captainpop:

An actual post made in 2017.

Fangz posted:

Someone should ask Corbyn how enthusiastic he is about unionism. As a number out of 10.

Lots of people like me who were a 10 last time round are definitely not anymore.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 13, 2017

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Yorkshire Tea posted:

They should ostensibly claim not to support it, but do literally nothing to prevent it and then blame the Tories for the breakup of the Union.

That's what they did last time so probably what they'll try again.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

big scary monsters posted:

That's what they did last time so probably what they'll try again.

If only, Labour made a huge mistake being seen as a part of the Westminster cabal.

Cameron's face in this pic does look like he's experiencing a flashforward to 2016 though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

If only, Labour made a huge mistake being seen as a part of the Westminster cabal.

I know this happened but it really really annoys me. Of course Labour wanted the union to stay together. People seeing Labour as having betrayed them over it just totally baffled me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I dunno, there was The Vow that was immediately shot and buried following the No vote, and there was Gordon Brown's last minute essay writing and I can barely remember what else Labour was involved in in the last referendum. Of course I was living in Scotland so probably wasn't the main focus of their campaign.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
'The vow' was a meaningless bit of puff for a newspaper. Everything promised in it happened - because it didn't actually promise much.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Private Speech posted:

AFAIK it's supposed to happen on the 15th. Obviously nobody outside the government really knows though.

I think I saw someone chattering that the SNP announcement may have tipped that timetable and they're floating towards the 27th, coincidentally the deadline for Northern Ireland to form an executive

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Taear posted:

I know this happened but it really really annoys me. Of course Labour wanted the union to stay together. People seeing Labour as having betrayed them over it just totally baffled me.

big scary monsters posted:

I dunno, there was The Vow that was immediately shot and buried following the No vote, and there was Gordon Brown's last minute essay writing and I can barely remember what else Labour was involved in in the last referendum. Of course I was living in Scotland so probably wasn't the main focus of their campaign.

Well so was I and it seemed to me that the cross-party "Better Together" campaign just played right into the "Us vs Them" mentality the SNP were trying to encourage. You don't remember a distinctive Labour involvement in the campaign exactly because there was no substantive or distinctive Labour campaign beyond Better Together which lumped them right in there with Cameron.

People act as if the Scottish Tories* have played a masterstroke since the referendum taking hardcore unionist votes from Scottish Labour but the fact of the matter is that ~50%~ of Scottish Labour's vote has gone to the SNP since 2007 and any support lost since then has really been small in comparison.

It's actually incredible how close the parallel between the Scot Lab and UK Lab decline has been in the months after the Indyref and Brexit referendums respectively. In both cases Labour had the misfortune of having the most divided electorate and in both cases the referendum has been an earthquake in old party political loyalties.

* The Ruth Davidson Funny on HIGNFY and I'm not Sturgeon Party

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
There was a 'labour for independence' campaign but everyone in it joined the SNP straight after.

• Locked thread