Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Mega Man without cool robots or weapons and stuff, so much more boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I have a LAN adapter I've owned since the Wii days that works perfectly for the Switch, is it possible to eliminate these spurts simply by getting a wired connection? Wonder if it's possible to turn the wi-fi off while still having the wired connection work OR if the system automatically stops wi-fi if it detects a wired connection.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FireMrshlBill posted:

I play in airplane mode 90% of the time in handheld mode, and obviously you have to turn airplane mode off for tabletop (they need to give you an easy wifi on/off button, not just airplane).

Actually:

1. Grab it as a handheld.
2. Go to System Settings -> Airplane mode.
3. Turn airplane mode on.
4. Check out the sweet hidden settings that only show in airplane mode and don't persist when you turn AM off :downs:
5. Leave it in airplane mode forever, until you need to hit the eshop or get a system update.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Is Fast RMX "good" good? Or is it "There's 3 games on my new console, and this isn't a total shitshow, so I'm satisfied" good?

Solo play it's maybe a bit underwhelming, but I was playing 4 man multiplayer with the bros yesterday and we were having good fun for the better part of an hour and a half, so yeah I'd recommend it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I bought Shovel Knight a few years ago and loved it, it's a game that studied what made NES games cool and then recreated it with modern features. Then they came out with an extra campaign, for free, that was just as big as the main game and just as good. Then they did it again, and they're gonna do it one more time. Shovel Knight owns really hard.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

an actual dog posted:

I bought Shovel Knight a few years ago and loved it, it's a game that studied what made NES games cool and then recreated it with modern features. Then they came out with an extra campaign, for free, that was just as big as the main game and just as good. Then they did it again, and they're gonna do it one more time. Shovel Knight owns really hard.

this x100000000

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Gaspy Conana posted:

I'm wondering what they're going to do with the Joy-Con issue from a marketing perspective. It's pretty obviously a problem with the design of the left Joy-Con and not a random defect, so it's on them, but I'm sure they want to avoid some big statement that could result in "SWITCH RECALL, NINTENDO CONSOLE DEFECTIVE" articles that could reach mom or grandma before Christmas rolls around. Seems like they're hoping everyone just calls support and that silently takes care of it.
Both my left joycons are fine so it does seem to be a manufacturing defect.

Actually let me double test that. Yeah even behind my back I have to get about 3m away before it cuts out. 6m it's still fine and at that point I have to get behind a wall. So the people who are failing at like 1m totally a defective con compared to mine.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Actually:

4. Check out the sweet hidden settings that only show in airplane mode and don't persist when you turn AM off :downs:
5. Leave it in airplane mode forever, until you need to hit the eshop or get a system update.

Sweet, done! Why couldn't they bring that up when accessing the quick option menu after holding down the home button?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

big mean giraffe posted:

Mega Man without cool robots or weapons and stuff, so much more boring.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

LethalGeek posted:

Actually let me double test that. Yeah even behind my back I have to get about 3m away before it cuts out. 6m it's still fine and at that point I have to get behind a wall. So the people who are failing at like 1m totally a defective con compared to mine.

Grey or neon?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LethalGeek posted:

Anecdotal but my Switch shipped with a lovely-rear end "losing connection at 12 inches or less" left joyconn, and buying an individual replacement was a significant improvement, and I've heard similar (equally anecdotal) reports elsewhere

So yeah, my tentative guess is more manufacturing defect than design flaw. my completely wild-rear end guess would be that earlier-produced joyconns that got packaged with the switches were produced in a manner that made them more prone to whatever issues, or maybe the individually-packaged ones were produced in a different facility. WHO KNOWS

if Nintendo's gotten on board with what the issue is and isn't asking people to RMA their entire switch for the joyconn issue then I guess that's a step in the right direction though

Norns posted:

Grey or neon?

my original and replacement are both grey

FireMrshlBill posted:

Sweet, done! Why couldn't they bring that up when accessing the quick option menu after holding down the home button?

:iiam:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shovel Knight does have cool weapons you just don't get them from the bosses.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
You can't use wireless controllers while in airplane mode though, right?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

an actual dog posted:

I bought Blaster Master Zero a few days ago and loved it, it's a game that studied what made NES games cool and then recreated it with modern features.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Soul Glo posted:

Once you are in airplane mode you can enable Bluetooth separately.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Soul Glo posted:

Actually:

The "sweet hidden settings" are basically "enable bluetooth in airplane mode" and "enable wifi in airplane mode". So yes, you can use wireless controllers in "airplane mode", you just have to jump through extra hoops to do so (and you won't be able to do the initial setup if you're using only a pro controller, because gently caress you I guess).

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

I bought Blaster Master Zero a few days ago and loved it, it's a game that studied what made NES games cool and then recreated it with modern features.

Blaster Master Zero owns too

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The "sweet hidden settings" are basically "enable bluetooth in airplane mode" and "enable wifi in airplane mode". So yes, you can use wireless controllers in "airplane mode", you just have to jump through extra hoops to do so (and you won't be able to do the initial setup if you're using only a pro controller, because gently caress you I guess).

You can use the touch screen.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Neat, I might try that. Zelda's been playable even with the framerate being kinda butt. I only ever really notice it in the starting area and the Korok area.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Norns posted:

Grey or neon?

They are both gray. and I spoke too soon one of them totally doesn't do so hot. Not sure which is the one that came with the system and which one is the one I bought but one works a hell of a lot better than the other. so guess I"ll talk at Nintendo here soon and get it swapped.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't know why that's getting traction but I played the majority of the beginning of Zelda with airplane mode on and still saw plenty of framerate drops so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LethalGeek posted:

They are both gray. and I spoke too soon one of them totally doesn't do so hot. Not sure which is the one that came with the system and which one is the one I bought but one works a hell of a lot better than the other. so guess I"ll talk at Nintendo here soon and get it swapped.

Make sure you send them the right one!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Airplane mode is weird as you can still use the joycons if they're in the rails of the Switch, even with the bluetooth option disabled. You only ever have to enable the bluetooth if you take the joycons out of the rails.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I don't know why that's getting traction but I played the majority of the beginning of Zelda with airplane mode on and still saw plenty of framerate drops so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

There's two different things happening. One Zelda renders all the drat grass and in the starting area in particular this can just overload the game. There's a separate issue where the system gets hung up dealing with wifi when it shouldn't.

Once you get out of the starting area the framerate improves a lot.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My joy cons work fine, but I cancelled my 2nd set order and will be holding off until whatever this issue is gets resolved through firmware/manufacturing/whatever it is.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

Once you get out of the starting area the framerate improves a lot.

I know this, I'm just saying don't expect that to be some magical cure-all.

I just mentioned the starting area for emphasis, I'm well out of there, still playing in airplane mode, and still getting framerate drops when too much is going on.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Louisgod posted:

Airplane mode is weird as you can still use the joycons if they're in the rails of the Switch, even with the bluetooth option disabled. You only ever have to enable the bluetooth if you take the joycons out of the rails.

When the joycons are connected to the system they're not using bluetooth to send data anymore. There's a power and data connector hidden under the bottom of the rail.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

parallelodad posted:

You can use the touch screen.

poo poo right it's a touchscreen

okay not quite as gently caress you

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

an actual dog posted:

When the joycons are connected to the system they're not using bluetooth to send data anymore. There's a power and data connector hidden under the bottom of the rail.

OH RIGHT, neglected to take into account that the joycons charge while docked and in turn likely aren't reliant on a wireless connection.

Switch is slick as poo poo. Outside lack of games, lack of anything in the OS, Neflix, browser, virtual console, background music, a scratch resistant screen, AAA 3rd party titles and good battery life, how can you dislike it?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Consummate Professional posted:

What type of game is shovel knight?

the good as hell kind

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Louisgod posted:

OH RIGHT, neglected to take into account that the joycons charge while docked and in turn likely aren't reliant on a wireless connection.

Switch is slick as poo poo. Outside lack of games, lack of anything in the OS, Neflix, browser, virtual console, background music, a scratch resistant screen, AAA 3rd party titles and good battery life, how can you dislike it?
I still think the battery criticism is a bunch of nothing...otherwise lol yeah.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Alright poo poo guys I'll buy shovel knight

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Is there anywhere where a decent case (i.e. not that PDP one that everyone seems to dislike) is in stock online?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

chaleski posted:

Every customer I deny service to at my retail job brings me one step closer to defeating the ghost of the guy who made fun of me in high school

You can do it!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beastie posted:

Be courteous to people whether you are the customer or employee and you just might get nice perks like "oh someone just returned one 10 minutes ago, it's yours."

It's fun + good being nice to people :)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Rosalind posted:

Is there anywhere where a decent case (i.e. not that PDP one that everyone seems to dislike) is in stock online?
I dunno. Been trying to find a HORI tough pouch before my trip next week. Everything sold out so I might have to wool sock it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Has anyone tried a Bluetooth transmitter + Bluetooth headphones with a Switch, and if so, does it cause the whole thing to explode? Because this is the only reason Bluetooth headphones shouldn't work without additional hardware of course.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Be courteous to real people because they are real people.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I had been planing to put a stencil onto my plain Switch case, but then I realized I could use my 3D printer to get an embossed design instead.

Messier than I would have liked, but the logo itself is supposed to look worn, so I guess it works out in the end.

I am also going to print a belt clip so I don't have to always carry it in my hands when I take it out with me. At the moment, I'm printing a earbud wire wrap that I edited to include a Triforce design. I've been looking for a good Joycon grip replacement, this is the best I've found so far.

I'm going to try to edit this design tonight to be more comfortable. This is a good start, but I think you still need an ergonomic grip for your palms.

Finally, I plan to paint my Joycons yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You could probably put those on Etsy or wherever and make like five bucks a pop off them. Looks great!

• Locked thread