Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D_Smart posted:

Right. So how much do you think they have left, when in 2015 tax year, a SINGLE studio (F42-UK) used up over 50% of the TOTAL funding raised to date?

It's all here - charts and everything

I trust the F42-UK operating costs as much as I trust Chris' promise of getting SQ42 prelude 1 in 2016.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Lladre posted:

I trust the F42-UK operating costs as much as I trust Chris' promise of getting SQ42 prelude 1 in 2016.
I laughed at this.

Then I remembered it was 2017 and laughed even more.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

trucutru posted:

Some people say that in order to "enlarge" the maps they actually shrunk everything to tiny levels. So your character is actually (from the engine's perspective) the size of a mite so determining is actual position in relation with a wall (that is paper thin) is difficult.

Ok thanks, I think I get it.

Honestly the thing that struck me most is that the design looks bland and generic as gently caress.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

TheAgent posted:

just a friendly reminder that's CIG is adding hand to hand combat, including ways to block, kick, strike and throw

This will never happen.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

XK posted:

This will never happen.

You say that until Hand-to-Hand Combat 1.0 is released, followed by Hand-to-Hand 2.0 which includes Dickpunch 1.0

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Other people think that their move to 64 bit coordinates causes all sorts of floating point imprecisions because post of the engine is not ready for that, which again makes the collision detection unable to determine the exact position of the character.

The 64-bit is baked in to the newer engine, so this doesn't feel true, but I did delete some wild speculation that I'll feel free to vomit out here. A combination of a hosed up scale change and 64-bit _could_ have created some problems, but it feels like a rounding issue at that point and entirely solvable.

There were definitely issues with some of the assets they created because they were at different 'scales', so team A was expecting x cm width doors, while team B was building animated doors at y cm width. Simple stretching wouldn't make things work, and this is why I thought they'd canned Spare Marine.

Cryengine's 'vehicles as hats' doesn't allow for the required fidelity for people to dick around inside them, launch sub-craft and do all the other myriad things they wanted, so they tried gluing objects to the hats, and that causes the collision detection to trigger the physics simulation.

I'm merely a commercial developer and network guy that is deeply suspicious of matrix transformations, so pinch'o'salt.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Warhawk109 posted:

Hi everyone! I'm the whale that said he was getting the hell out in the let's talk 3.0 thread. I'm in the process of getting my refund now. Can't wait to be on the outside watching this house of cards fall apart! :munch:

Welcome to the Official Dirty Leavers club.

ps: Ignore MoMa; he's just a pretend (he paid 10 bux to post here) Goon :grin:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

BeigeJacket posted:

Can someone explain to me, in very simple idiot terms, what exactly causes all the clipping, walking thru walls, etc in the clips you guys post?

First you need a single guy to make every decision, even if he doesn't understand the topic at hand.

Large maps because space, so you mess with the scale to make 1m = 1mm or something stupid like that, now the collision detection is all messed up.

Also because it's space and gravity is weird you pretend everything is underwater so people can float, only you need to remove most of the water effects or people will notice.

Then you need to hire 147 artists but only 4 game programmers and 2 network guys. Then heap praise on the artists because that's the real work in game development.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Streetroller posted:

Welcome, brother!

Warhawk is now down with the Star Citizen Crips. Cripples, that is.

Much love, StreetRoller.

StarbloodKiss posted:

Since Amazon's lumberyard engine is being used and tied to Star Citizen, would Amazon (have they already?) put money into Star Citizen so that their engine isn't tied to a failure? Or is this completely trivial since they're only licensing it out?

Amazon isn't giving poo poo to CIG. Lumberyard is free license to any takers. Amazon doesn't even know Star Citizen exists, or is purposely avoiding acknowledging that it exists.

Nobody with any pre-existing experience in the realm of making games or engines is giving CIG any money. Nobody, period, is licensing any of CIG's modules or technology. There was a post on their forums about Spectrum being licensed as general purpose forum software, and I nearly choked on my laughter.

CIG won't lose a dime on development, because everything will be licensed out. lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Welcome to the party Warhawk. If you're going to spend your hard earned refund money on fish killing I recommend going no shorter than 110 cm on your speargun, even if you're reef-fishing.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

BeigeJacket posted:

Can someone explain to me, in very simple idiot terms, what exactly causes all the clipping, walking thru walls, etc in the clips you guys post?

One of the bug reports was about an emote animation that had a 100% chance of clipping through if you did it up against the wall. I can't remember what it was, though.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

XK posted:

Warhawk is now down with the Star Citizen Crips. Cripples, that is.

CIG won't lose a dime on development, because everything will be licensed out. lol

Um stop spreading lies! There were multiple threads on CIG forums and Reddit about how their "cell mesh networking tech" will be licensed by Amazon itself to improve their cloud services. As in Crobbber's genius is revolutionizing the Internet because his will be the first game to support 10,000 players in an instance. They were estimating tens of millions of revenue at a minimum to CIG from this.

And these are the same people that are supposed to keep CIG accountable with their dates and financials.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 13, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BeigeJacket posted:

Lol this game - I vaguely recall the original KS, and had heard the odd rumble over the years (articles in the escapist etc) but had no idea it was such a shitshow. I've very much enjoyed reading this thread over the past few weeks.

:10bux: well spent man.

Fideliteh

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

StarbloodKiss posted:

Since Amazon's lumberyard engine is being used and tied to Star Citizen, would Amazon (have they already?) put money into Star Citizen so that their engine isn't tied to a failure? Or is this completely trivial since they're only licensing it out?

LMAO!! Uhm, no. They're just the licensor. They're selling AWS services via a free LumberYard engine that's tied to AWS.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

just a friendly reminder that's CIG is adding hand to hand combat, including ways to block, kick, strike and throw

I'm sure it'll replace MvC at EVO sometime soon

Also I can see this being a thing.

As the company burns down around him, years from release at all times, sitting on thousands of hours of meticulously motion captured animation nobody wanted that he still needs tens of millions of dollars to even try and utilize independent of any game, Chris Roberts finally hits the point where nothing left needs to be motion captured.

The peons breathe a sigh of relief. At least now one variable has solidified, they have some kind of chance now that the motion capture has stopped and they can quantify the exact height of bullshit mountain.

Crobblers stands on his now empty directors set, next to his director chair. He stares in silence for awhile, creeping out the interns.

"FIGHTING!!! THATS IT!!! Get everyone back in here. We need hundreds more hours of motion capture. People kicking, blocking, striking and throwing. Multiple times, each action repeated over and over, each gender doing it, each main character doing it, even aliens doing it. AND THE RESPONSES!! The responses to being thrown! Think of all the motion capture!!!!"

This is pretty much like that "Chris spent a whole day describing what a bomber jacket should look like" leak, since it's incredibly believable. When you hit Year 5 and finally finish up all the mopping and mess hall animations you can think of and your game is on fire and years late do you A:) Finish your game or B:) Create more things to pretend to be a movie director about.

Maybe he likes the lunches The Imaginarium caters for the $100,000,000 club or something.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

walruscat posted:

You couldn't get a case out of arbitration let alone get it to class. Arbitration clauses in contracts like this have been enforced repeatedly. Also the no class clauses have been repeatedly enforced and the Supreme Court upheld those rulings.

This includes challenges based on California's contract law.

This is probably correct, however misses a larger issue--once CIG implodes, it will likely be placed into Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 bankruptcy (voluntarily or involuntarily), which means an independent trustee or an unsecured creditors committee will be appointed to chase any remaining money (including from Croberts individually and from any D&O policies the company held) for the benefit of the backers. No arbitration clause will interfere with that.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MinorInconvenience posted:

This is probably correct, however misses a larger issue--once CIG implodes, it will likely be placed into Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 bankruptcy (voluntarily or involuntarily), which means an independent trustee or an unsecured creditors committee will be appointed to chase any remaining money (including from Croberts individually and from any D&O policies the company held) for the benefit of the backers. No arbitration clause will interfere with that.

or the fact they have had a half dozen versions of their TOS and there are people to which none of the "no class action" and arbitration rules apply since they ham handed those out to replace the original promise of releasing the company finances.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Bored gamer went to CIG and 3 moons is whats coming to '3.0'

quote:

ENVIRONMENTS (3:08)
-he saw new concepts of the 3 moons we're about to see in 3.0
-Moons looked better then in the 3.0 demo even when they were 100% done procedural
-procedural space stations or outposts are a thing too
-using special shaders they can make the outposts look like "they belong on the planet" which means that an outpost on a snow planet won't look like one on a lava planet for example
-Room system with atmosphere, pressure, oxygen, etc. is being worked on and will be able to manage the atmosphere in each room. so for exampel when a door is opened it will "suck" out the air from the room which will suck out the oxygen in the next room etc etc
-procedural outposts will feature things like landing plats, mining, etc. and also things like bars for example.
-also satellites
-work on the asteroid tech is ongoing and is looking awesome

No planets etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5z6as3/boredgamer_went_to_foundry_42_uk_heres_what_hes/

Hard hitting leaks too

quote:

SPACE TRAVEL (7:03)
-is going to be "visually pleasing"
]
possible thread title.

Servers are going to be 30 tick rate.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Space Crabs posted:

or the fact they have had a half dozen versions of their TOS and there are people to which none of the "no class action" and arbitration rules apply since they ham handed those out to replace the original promise of releasing the company finances.

But really, the "class action" thingy is almost certainly a complete red herring. If Croberts & Co. deliver, even a half-assed version of the game, no backer is going to be able to win a case, arbitration clause or no arbitration clause . If Croberts & Co. fail to deliver, it's because they ran out of money. In which case there is literally nothing to arbitrate--the backer pledges are likely a debt obligation of the insolvent CIG, the treatment of which will be decided by a bankruptcy court. And third party actions (against Croberts, other officers and directors, and anyone who received a "preferential payment" or "fraudulent transfer," for example) would not be governed by the ToS or the arbitration clause (the aforementioned folks not being parties to the ToS).

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
The let's talk 3.0 thread is starting to get good again!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Increasingly I'm finding that the part of this fiasco that gives me the greatest joy is watching the sparks that fly whenever the /r/SC bubble intersects with reality. Today, for example, they tried to shill an article that literally amounts to "Star Citizen announces some features that were coming soon are still coming soon." The comments in these threads are a joy to behold.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/5z4bzp/star_citizens_persistent_universe_draws_closer
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/5z4btn/star_citizens_persistent_universe_draws_closer

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Tippis posted:

Three more weeks.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Bored gamer went to CIG and 3 moons is whats coming to '3.0'

No planets etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5z6as3/boredgamer_went_to_foundry_42_uk_heres_what_hes/

Hard hitting leaks too
]
possible thread title.

Servers are going to be 30 tick rate.

This actually proves more Agent leaks about the hilarious 3.0 hack they are trying to force out to make more money with the focus on outposts.

also that It looks odd from any angle other than "something else to sell."

Before this if you had asked a random sampling of backers what the top 5 things were that CIG needed to focus on to succeed were I doubt procedural outposts and interior decorating would have made the list.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

walruscat posted:

I wish you'd stop lying about the legal poo poo. You're so obviously wrong about this. You couldn't get a case out of arbitration let alone get it to class. Arbitration clauses in contracts like this have been enforced repeatedly. Also the no class clauses have been repeatedly enforced and the Supreme Court upheld those rulings.

This includes challenges based on California's contract law.

Lying huh?

Your idiocy is commendable. Where do I start?

1) The fact that you think that legal action can only come from private individuals shows you're clueless. Hint: State & Fed authorities get around all that rubbish; as they have done countless times. Not to mention the several times they have specifically been involved in crowd-funding scams.

2) The fact that you think that arbitration trumps allegations of fraud shows you're clueless.

3) The fact that you think that an arbitration clause in a ToS somehow makes it less likely that a good attorney can get it out of arb and into a standard lawsuit, thus class action, shows you're a moron who knows nothing about the law.

Put Your rear end In the Know and don't engage in discussions you clearly know nothing about. Start here:

http://www.fosterswift.com/communications-Online-Terms-Conditions-For-Contractual-Relationships.html

http://www.americanbar.org/publications/communications_lawyer/2015/january/click_here.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericgoldman/2012/10/10/how-zappos-user-agreement-failed-in-court-and-left-zappos-legally-naked/#4977a1be3e31 <-- read this one twice

http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2016/04/evidentiary-failings-undermine-arbitration-clauses-in-online-terms.htm <-- read this one three times. check the date. read it again

http://www.smithshapourian.com/blog/arbitration-agreement-what-it-is-why-it-helps-your-business-and-what-you-can-do-to-enforce-it

And since you clearly know nothing about the CIG ToS, let alone the facts surrounding its numerous revisions - all of which are likely to come back to haunt CIG due to why those revisions were made; here go read about the many revisions to it.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 13, 2017

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TrustmeImLegit posted:

How guaranteed do you think this is? Please use percentages

As guaranteed as his 100% legally actionable blog. And furthermore.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Welcome to the Official Dirty Leavers club.

ps: Ignore MoMa; he's just a pretend (he paid 10 bux to post here) Goon :grin:

I pretend as much as you do. So, a lot.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Lying huh?

Your idiocy is commendable. Where do I start?

1) The fact that you think that legal action can only come from private individuals shows you're clueless. Hint: State & Fed authorities get around all that rubbish; as they have done countless times. Not to mention the several times they have specifically been involved in crowd-funding scams.

2) The fact that you think that arbitration trumps allegations of fraud shows you're clueless.

3) The fact that you think that an arbitration clause in a ToS somehow makes it less likely that a good attorney can get it out of arb and into a standard lawsuit, thus class action, shows you're a moron who knows nothing about the law.

Put Your rear end In the Know and don't engage in discussions you clearly know nothing about. Start here:

http://www.fosterswift.com/communications-Online-Terms-Conditions-For-Contractual-Relationships.html

http://www.americanbar.org/publications/communications_lawyer/2015/january/click_here.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericgoldman/2012/10/10/how-zappos-user-agreement-failed-in-court-and-left-zappos-legally-naked/#4977a1be3e31 <-- read this one twice

http://blog.ericgoldman.org/archives/2016/04/evidentiary-failings-undermine-arbitration-clauses-in-online-terms.htm <-- read this one three times. check the date. read it again

http://www.smithshapourian.com/blog/arbitration-agreement-what-it-is-why-it-helps-your-business-and-what-you-can-do-to-enforce-it

And since you clearly know nothing about the CIG ToS, let alone the facts surrounding its numerous revisions - all of which are likely to come back to haunt CIG due to why those revisions were made; here go read about the many revisions to it.

Derek's formula:

Insult me? You're an idiot: here's why:

LINK TO MY BLOG
LINK TO MY BLOG
MATHEMATICAL/AI BRAIN
LINK TO MY BLOG

And furthermore.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Warhawk109 posted:

Hi everyone! I'm the whale that said he was getting the hell out in the let's talk 3.0 thread. I'm in the process of getting my refund now. Can't wait to be on the outside watching this house of cards fall apart! :munch:

Welcome, friend. I apologize that the game didn't live up to the expectations you had.

You'll have to explain what finally caused you to throw in your cards unless you haven't been asked this 500 times by other people by now. :)

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

ManofManyAliases posted:

Derek's formula:

Insult me? You're an idiot: here's why:

LINK TO MY BLOG
LINK TO MY BLOG
MATHEMATICAL/AI BRAIN
LINK TO MY BLOG

And furthermore.

LOL is this thread still the same two retards just going back and forth?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

ManofManyAliases posted:

:ssj:

have you guys gotten to play CK2 at least because the whole "AI actors" thing is a vast and wild frontier once you look past design docs

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D1E posted:

LOL is this thread still the same two retards just going back and forth?

Am I wrong though?

I told Derek in a very Jerry Maguire style to SHOW ME THE LAWSUIT, but he said no.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah you are.

Maybe not in this specific thing, I don't really care enough to determine that, but you are definitely in general wrong.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
List of space games whose development began, ran, and released before Star Citizen:

No man's sky
Elite (Plus an entire year of DLC)
COD IW
Hellion kinda
Stellaris
Mass Effect Andro

what else

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
the lawsuit being filed has about the same chances of SC or sq42 ever releasing

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
began after?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

List of space games whose development began, ran, and released before Star Citizen:

No man's sky
Elite (Plus an entire year of DLC)
COD IW
Hellion kinda
Stellaris
Mass Effect Andro

what else
there's been so many games conceptualized, developed and then released during this five year span I dunno where to even start

not to mention some of them releasing sequels during that time period

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Games that are food, you've got:

No Man's Pie
Flan Turismo

There are probably others but those are the main two as I see it

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

The Titanic posted:

Welcome, friend. I apologize that the game didn't live up to the expectations you had.

You'll have to explain what finally caused you to throw in your cards unless you haven't been asked this 500 times by other people by now. :)

Most of my pledges were prior to 2015. My last big one was the Idris frigate during the 2014 livestream sale in December. At the time, I had a ton of disposable income, already had a house, a nice brand new vehicle, a few grand thrown at some jpegs? No biggie. Anyways since then I basically stopped following development, figured in a year or two I'd have a game to play, and I'd have a huge jump start on my career as a pirate, have lots of ships for my guildies coming over from SWTOR to play with. Only recently started to follow development again, and discovered it's no where near where I thought it would be at this point, and literally years away if ever. All you have to do is look at what they've accomplished, versus what is left to do. It's not happening. Came to this realization last week, and then gradually started going down the rabbit hole. I'm down deep now, spent the last few days totally immersed in all the BS uncovered by people like DS, the people on r/starcitizen_refunds, and here. Feels good to be woke to all this. Just want OUT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Games that are food, you've got:

No Man's Pie
Flan Turismo

There are probably others but those are the main two as I see it

TurnipFall 2
Cod: Infinite Warfish