Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I like elfghost wrecking face with the mithril crafting hammer from the first game. A nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Michael de Plater was saying on the first stream that part of the story deals with why Sauron is stuck in the eye, so who knows. Also for those who didn't watch the whole thing, second stream will be at the same time this coming Friday.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

I don't think Celebrimbor and Talion know that Sauron has bound his life-force into a nigh indestructible ring of power. Wouldn't surprise me if you destroy Sauron's body at the end of SoW, but surprise, some little dude named Bilbo has the Ring in the Shire so he's not really dead!
shouldn't Celebirmonder know that? I can't remember, just seems like something he would know

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I guess this time there is a chance for the nemesis system to be as robust and immersive as it was advertised, because last game all I did was just stealth kill everything dead and no one ever struck me as memorable if they ever came back at all. But if you can get betrayed by War Chiefs or somehow form some lasting weird mind control friendships with orcs throughout the entire game, well, that's actually something.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Swedish Horror posted:

I'm replaying Shadow of Mordor and wow, it really should have had difficulty settings. Glad Shadow of War(dor) is getting them.

:same:

Pug the Puny :argh: that fucker has a power level of 20 due to wrecking me every time I jumped off the tower. ANd this was all before I started wrecking the war chiefs. Unsurprisingly he's now a war chief.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do we know what "tribes" are yet to the game? The "Silver Edition" says that you get the Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
and the Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion for buying it, but lol god drat, what is a tribe? A "nemesis tribe expansion"?

Edit: Apparently it has to do with personalities, appearance and combat styles of the orks. So it unlocks more options for the nemesis system. Welp, guess i'm getting the silver edition when the time comes.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 13, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I saw that there was a bit of an overlap in tribes as well. If you look towards the end of the gameplay reveal you'll see that the eventually promoted orc is a "beast master" but he is also a "marauder". He gets a shiny tower whereas the other beast master (the other Olog-hai in the line up) gets a fortress with animal skulls all over it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dongattack posted:

Edit: Apparently it has to do with personalities, appearance and combat styles of the orks. So it unlocks more options for the nemesis system. Welp, guess i'm getting the silver edition when the time comes.

It's basically Orc Culture Pack. So like you could have the Flame Worshipper Tribe (or w/e) and they would wear flamin' hats and if they took over a Fortress (either yours or theirs) it would get filled up with flame banners, flame throwers, a big bonfire in the center, stuff like that.

Hoping for a 3rd Street Saints tribe...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm hoping "cunningly disguised dwarf" is a clan.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Actually it says exactly what it is on the steam store page, idk if it always did and i'm blind, but here it is from the horses mouth:

quote:

Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That reminds me, on the stream they mentioned each Orc tribe has a gear set for you to collect by murdering a bunch of them.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The example they kept giving was if the Machine Tribe owns an area, you'll see a lot more forges and machine works, it'll be more hazy and hosed up by industry, a bunch more labour slaves around, stuff like that.

The stuff they're saying is kind of insane for a video game to promise, but aside from it sort of breaking if you were good at the game, everything they said about SoM in their pre-release stuff was true, so I'm inclined to believe they can pull it off.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
SoM completely sold me with the amount of pre release gameplay they actually showed and they're already showing a ton of stuff months out for this one. I'm super excited for this weeks Twitch stream and last weeks was worth watching in my opinion despite the "Twitch Host" being mad annoying(i.e. a typical Twitch/Youtube Host).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm a bit worried that the rpg stuff will add needless cruft, and a bit worried that they'll go the batman route of just adding more and more gadgets and moves that make the combat engine a bit flabby, but apart from that I'm super hyped

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Orv posted:

The example they kept giving was if the Machine Tribe owns an area, you'll see a lot more forges and machine works, it'll be more hazy and hosed up by industry, a bunch more labour slaves around, stuff like that.

The stuff they're saying is kind of insane for a video game to promise, but aside from it sort of breaking if you were good at the game, everything they said about SoM in their pre-release stuff was true, so I'm inclined to believe they can pull it off.

None of it honestly seems that crazy individually. Tags being related to how a set, defined zone spawns isn't really super technically challenging. It's a lot of art assets, but that's about it. The rest of the stuff seems to be built off existing SoM systems but better, which is why I actually have so much excitement for this game. It looks cool, but it all seems legitimately achievable rather than pie in the sky promises.

Mmm, pie.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Zaodai posted:

None of it honestly seems that crazy individually. Tags being related to how a set, defined zone spawns isn't really super technically challenging. It's a lot of art assets, but that's about it. The rest of the stuff seems to be built off existing SoM systems but better, which is why I actually have so much excitement for this game. It looks cool, but it all seems legitimately achievable rather than pie in the sky promises.

Mmm, pie.

All true plus they set a really good precedent with Shadow of Mordor. I think I watched four or five hours' worth of preview streams they'd done with various sites and every time it had different orcs, different stuff that happened, different missions - it didn't seem like they had anything at all that they were trying to cover for, they were confident enough to just send Michael de Plater out and let him narrate over anything. And then the game came out and everything they said would be in it was in it.

The gameplay trailer was crazy with tons of new awesome stuff, and I'd be a little leery if it were coming from somebody else, but Monolith's earned the benefit of the doubt as far as I'm concerned.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

One of my concerns is them doing another Lord of the Hunt type DLC, and locking that into a separate save file from your main game.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Solomonic posted:

All true plus they set a really good precedent with Shadow of Mordor. I think I watched four or five hours' worth of preview streams they'd done with various sites and every time it had different orcs, different stuff that happened, different missions - it didn't seem like they had anything at all that they were trying to cover for, they were confident enough to just send Michael de Plater out and let him narrate over anything. And then the game came out and everything they said would be in it was in it.

The gameplay trailer was crazy with tons of new awesome stuff, and I'd be a little leery if it were coming from somebody else, but Monolith's earned the benefit of the doubt as far as I'm concerned.

Second this.

I re-watched the 8 min PRE-ALPHA gameplay for SoM and everything you saw in that trailer is in game, for the most part.

The only thing was the narrator would tease in extra bits that I don't think we're exactly cut but never made it into the game properly.

The example I remember was the narrator would talk about how since ratbag was tagged as a 'slaver' that he would spend most of his time around slaves and work camps subjugating the humans.

This is all well and good but it wasn't EXACTLY in game as advertised.

Yes there were slaves and work group and you could find enemies around them, but slavers would not necessarily be around them. It would just be a name on their entity.

It's a minor nit pick, but it's something to remember.

I watched the new gameplay and listened to absolutely nothing the narrator had to say and walked away very excited and satisfied.

Only concern is with combat but an interview mentioned they have different difficulty scales. Dark Souls: Mordor here I come!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to go with silver or gold edition of the game, but I'm honestly having trouble figuring out the difference on the steam page. Anyone know more, or does more information have to come out first before we know more?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Spikeguy posted:

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to go with silver or gold edition of the game, but I'm honestly having trouble figuring out the difference on the steam page. Anyone know more, or does more information have to come out first before we know more?

The difference is the two story DLC with the gold edition and whatever is in the "Gold War Chest". Just wait imo until we know more about the story DLC, the story DLC for the original wasn't very good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I expect the war chests to be money/supplies for your starter army. A booster pack.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dongattack posted:

The difference is the two story DLC with the gold edition and whatever is in the "Gold War Chest". Just wait imo until we know more about the story DLC, the story DLC for the original wasn't very good.

Only way I'd pay for the gold edition is if this mysterious playable DLC character is my spirit animal Az-Laar.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will probably hit up the Silver Edition depending on how big the changes they show tribes making in the streams.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I've heard some people slightly worried that the gear might go all "micro-transaction" in some parts. hope that isn't true, but even if it is I can at least not spend money on the drat things.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
If it's cosmetics i might have a problem, i'm insane about dress up :piaa:

But if it's direct cash to power i'll never touch it, i want this game to be as hard as possible.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RIP DOMOLISURE U WERE KILLED TOO SOON
I DIDN’T GO 2 UR FUNERAL CUZ I WAS MINDRAPING THE GUY THAT KILLED U
SUFFER ME NOW BITCHES

..._.....____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____] = = = = = D
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//

WE TRUE HOMIES
I DOMINATED YOUR MIND
YOU DOMINATED MY HEART

POST THIS GUN IF YOU MISS DOM LIKE I MISS DOM. IF HE GET ENOUGH HE GET IN ORC HEAVEN

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
..._.....____________________, ,
....../ `---___________----_____] = = = = = D
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//

Stay safe, Elven ghost.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Swedish Horror posted:

Really excited for this. Loved the first game, despite its flaws.

Press X to stabkiss your wife.

Let me kiss an orc, Monolith.
SNUGGLE ME NOW

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

In the original I had an orc captain, one I'd never met, run up in the middle of this massive brawl. He said "Hold me close, sweetie, I want to feel your breath on my neck" in the most effeminate voice I had ever heard in the game.

So I grabbed him, which surprisingly worked (usually captains can't be grabbed until they're nearly dead). Then I used him as a shield for a while.

Then I threw him off a cliff.

Rest in piece Rugnok the Friendly, never let it be said that I didn't grant your dying wish.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
The Facebook page posted a screenshot from the game or maybe its just artwork, and aside from looking very pretty i see that there is a ork strung up at the top of the middle spire.

Man, imagine if that was your favorite ork pal or whatever from more nemesis system fuckery. Probably just scenery, but it would be rad.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh man, I would immediately go murder the poo poo out of that overlord if he lynched my favorite orc buddy. :mad:

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014
This game is either going to totally deliver and be my GOTY or its going to fall totally short of everything and be yet another medicore WB game. Judging from the first game, its probably going to be the former but I havent been right about anything in about a year so...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Broguts posted:

This game is either going to totally deliver and be my GOTY or its going to fall totally short of everything and be yet another medicore WB game. Judging from the first game, its probably going to be the former but I havent been right about anything in about a year so...

At least we'll finally get to drive the Talionmobile.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zaodai posted:

*ahem* it's the Talionwagon :colbert:

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

Zaodai posted:

I said mediocre, not a dumpster fire.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hey,at least this game doesn't have the "mysterious" Mordor Knight who is obviously Ratbag but the devs try to pass off as a giant mystery.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly that would probably be better than whatever the main story actually is.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The main story is that we have to kill orcs. But we also have to love orcs. Sometimes we have to do both.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Spikeguy posted:

The main story is that we have to kill orcs. But we also have to love orcs. Sometimes we have to do both.

As OJ Simpson said, if you love something, it is natural to want to kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broguts
Oct 16, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

Hey,at least this game doesn't have the "mysterious" Mordor Knight who is obviously Ratbag but the devs try to pass off as a giant mystery.

Ratbag is totally Talion's Jason Todd.

• Locked thread