Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

American street circuits are great in the same way 80s action movies staring stallion or schwarzenegger are great.

They are awesome, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Since Long Beach the US street circuits have been terrible. Everyone laughs about Vegas but Dallas and Phoenix were just as embarrassing. Detroit was the only one that stuck even for a little while, and the drivers hated it. The races were just first lap crashes and then waiting to see whose brakes would explode.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Smooth, I bet. (I miss my FC :( )

My buddy has a black FC 13B Turbo and a RX-8 R3 edition.

They're always a pleasure to drive.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jamsque posted:

Since Long Beach the US street circuits have been terrible. Everyone laughs about Vegas but Dallas and Phoenix were just as embarrassing. Detroit was the only one that stuck even for a little while, and the drivers hated it. The races were just first lap crashes and then waiting to see whose brakes would explode.

Drivers hated Detroit because you couldn't drive 5 feet without hitting a pothole.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Jamsque posted:

1500quidporsche posted:

American street circuits are great in the same way 80s action movies staring stallion or schwarzenegger are great.

Edit: The 1984 Dallas Grand Prix was the Tango and Cash of races. You knew what you are watching is technically bad and you shouldn't like it but you're still smiling, laughing at it and saying "what the gently caress" at the scenes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 14, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I saw one of the Phoenix races on Youtube, it looked like driving through a Tetris block. No spectators that I could see, no turns other than 90 degree ones. Made Tilkes all look inspired.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My favorite street circuit was Baltimore which included a little hump over a railroad crossing which just annihilated suspensions.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I saw one of the Phoenix races on Youtube, it looked like driving through a Tetris block. No spectators that I could see, no turns other than 90 degree ones. Made Tilkes all look inspired.

Phoenix was probably the worst of the lot and didn't produce any interesting races. You can bitch about the other ones but they usually shook things up and produced unique results more often than the European circuits did.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Phoenix 1990 wasn't bad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I always thought that was in spite of the circuit not because of it, it was the first race of a season that had a lot of particularly interesting technical developments.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Phoenix 1990 wasn't bad.

Yeah the grid was insane.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I always thought that was in spite of the circuit not because of it, it was the first race of a season that had a lot of particularly interesting technical developments.

Aside from Long Beach all the US races were gongshows on Mickey Mouse circuits but they produced good races. Dallas 1984 owns.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Can someone explain to me why Kvyat is still at STR? Usuaully Red Bull doesn't waste time getting rid of their incubation babies when they don't turn out as well as they'd hope.

Unless this is indicative that the rest of Red Bull's horrible puppy mill of drivers are somehow way worse than Kvyat and there's no real prospects ready to go?

Yo, gently caress Red Bull.

Straight from da undaground.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Experience is the only conceivable thing I can think of. Some others say the same. He absolutely does not deserve to be there and should probably driving Formula Nippon instead of Gasly.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

Can someone explain to me why Kvyat is still at STR? Usuaully Red Bull doesn't waste time getting rid of their incubation babies when they don't turn out as well as they'd hope.

Unless this is indicative that the rest of Red Bull's horrible puppy mill of drivers are somehow way worse than Kvyat and there's no real prospects ready to go?

Russian money? Kvyat was always a pay to play driver.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If in doubt, Russian dirtyoil money.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

EoRaptor posted:

Russian money? Kvyat was always a pay to play driver.

There are guys who bring a budget who are arguably better just less experienced.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TurboDrizzle posted:

Cleveland is both the most half-assed road course of all time, (even las vegas parking lot took more effort) and one that somehow... works.

Im biased as gently caress because i grew up 10 minutes away, but i'd love to see it do something again post-champcar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lGp4yXkAyo&t=22s

Seems very considerate of them to give the drivers so much runoff area.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Wirth1000 posted:

Pierre Gasly either isn't ready yet, or he's being punished by Marco for telling the press he was taking over from Kvyat after last year's summer break.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

I never really got why they dumped him so quickly. He scored more (3 more) points than Ricciardo in his first year at Red Bull and had scored a podium (at China) like two weeks before he got demoted.

I'm not saying they should have got rid of Are Dan, just that I'm not 100% sure they dumped Kvyat out of disappointment or frustration, but that it might have been more of a "we need to move Max up" and a "Kvyat could be the no.1 driver at TR" thing. Having said that, he did cause a drumline of bad news for Red Bull.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 14, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
F1 2017:

poty posted:

This is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

There is only one street circuit worth talking about.

Well done Baku.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

enri posted:

There is only one street circuit worth talking about.

Well done Baku.

For theirs truly is the kingdom of Heaven. Amen.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Human Grand Prix posted:

GP3 and F3 are merging, reportedly. Makes sense.

Or more specifically the slightly struggling European series. I imagine Euro F3 will essentially just die in an attempt to get the car count up in GP3.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
15 years ago Ralf Schumacher foretold how Lance Stroll will open the 2017 Australian Grand Prix in a Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg46LCV5IkI

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Meanwhile, Force India switches to a pretty princess pink livery: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128499/force-india-reveals-pink-livery-for-2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hopefully the new helmet designs have tiaras on them

now hopefully mclaren can fix their garbage paint job and then maybe aero, engine, and chassis.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I actually applaud the move, let's have some crazy poo poo up in here

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That's actually less Ugly than the last livery, even if it does look like a Barbie accessory.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Pink dildo nose. Noice.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

simplefish posted:

I actually applaud the move, let's have some crazy poo poo up in here

gently caress it, let's go full retard this F1 season. What do we have to lose?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

Pink dildo nose. Noice.

They just wanted your mom to have something familiar on screen so she adjusts to watching F1 faster.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

quote:

RED and YELLOW and PINK and GREEN!
PURPLE and ORANGE and BLUE!

I can sing a rainbow!
Sing a rainbow!
Sing a rainbow too!

All thats missing is green.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

They just wanted your mom to have something familiar on screen so she adjusts to watching F1 faster.

Should've stayed with the previous livery then. :shrug:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

gently caress you Taki haters. This man is a gift

https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/841632607104319488

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Someone buy Taki OwnYou an account immediately. TIA

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/841351932992184320

What exact words do you think Sir Jackie used when he refused to be photographed standing next to the MCL32?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

That force india... :aaa:

Fair play, got a sponsor... mix it up a bit. Definitely makes a nice change to the usual white green and orange they rock.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/841351932992184320

What exact words do you think Sir Jackie used when he refused to be photographed standing next to the MCL32?

"Go gently caress yourself, man."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
How can you be anything but excited about a pink formula 1 car? Are you a grey and silver fetishist or something?

On a side note, i got a notice in my youtube subscriber feed about "F1 driver lineup 2017 confirmed (1 hour ago)" and thought "huh? I thought this was locked down months ago. Turned out to be a cool little well produced intro for all the drivers, almost like a network sitcom. Might be a fun thing for you to send to new people to the sport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7G6bdrGnS0

Makes me imagine f1 having an "intro video" like just another f1 show.

• Locked thread