Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pochoclo posted:

Lol the tories will own absolutely nothing.

I for one would welcome certainty as soon as possible, even if it's the "you gotta get the gently caress away from ARE ISLANDS in two years" kind.

PS today the pound will definitely get a pounding.

Best to make plans now- my brother couldn't decide between Spain and Australia so he's doing both, and my sister has been talking with HSBC about her job going out to Paris since this shitshow got on the road.

And they were born here. They just want off this racist feckin island!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
My wife and I went to the doctor the other day for our baby's six week checks, and the doctor every so casually started asking about how long my wife had been here, her nationality and whether she had private health insurance. Is this something doctors are now expected to ask all EU citizens, is she an arch-Tory, loving this poo poo, or making conversation with all the tact and diplomacy of a loving shovel to a face?

Either way, we're furious and my wife and I really don't want to live here anymore.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well yes and it's not personal, everyone gets asked those questions when you fill in forms. The worst offenders are the British Ex-pats who come back to dear ol' Blighty when they get ill and are SHOCKED AND AMAZED when they get hit with a bill because they haven't been living in the UK for the last five years.

There has been a huge crackdown on this and your doctor wasn't being nasty, she wanted to make sure your wife would not be hit with a huge bill if she got ill.

My Uncle got ill in the UK and was SHOCKED AND AMAZED that he didn't qualify for NHS treatment anymore. They got health insurance and the next year his wife got dangerously ill and it would have cost them an absolute fortune.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

I'd rather we stopped talking as though we had a presidential system. May was elected as MP by her constituents and as party leader by her party, just like every other PM. She was not Tory party leader at the last general election, but she was in a position of considerable power. Nothing about this is not the voters' fault.

Yeah, you become Prime Minister by being leader of the largest faction in the Commons. You don't get a personal mandate, beyond the one to represent your constituency.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TinTower posted:

The Lords insisted on more rounds of ping pong on retroreflective tape on HGVs than they did about parliamentary sovereignty.

Amazing how things differ when the government doesn't ignore 100+ peer defeats.

Seriously, I can't quite tell if you're just doing the dull party political thing or you actually don't understand how Lords works.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me posted:

I'd rather we stopped talking as though we had a presidential system.
Or a functional one. Perhaps the best way to stay sane over the next few years is to treat it as some kind of circus act or performance art.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

mfcrocker posted:

Amazing how things differ when the government doesn't ignore 100+ peer defeats.

Seriously, I can't quite tell if you're just doing the dull party political thing or you actually don't understand how Lords works.

Both Houses of Parliament must agree to the same text for a bill to pass. That's common to nearly all bicameral legislatures.

Even with the Parliament Act, the Lords still retains a right to amend legislation and insist on its amendments.

The Lords can delay a bill for a year. We barely even went a week here.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TinTower posted:

Both Houses of Parliament must agree to the same text for a bill to pass. That's common to nearly all bicameral legislatures.

Even with the Parliament Act, the Lords still retains a right to amend legislation and insist on its amendments.

The Lords can delay a bill for a year. We barely even went a week here.

What does delaying this bill for a year achieve? The government is literally never accepting these amendments; if they were, they'd have done it in the face of a 100 peer defeat.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Well, when you have a media terrorism apparatus that can sic fanatical right-wingers on you, you don't want to be on the headlines as ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE, I guess.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The lords is mostly there to stop people sneaking stuff though, and as a "are you sure"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

What does delaying this bill for a year achieve? The government is literally never accepting these amendments; if they were, they'd have done it in the face of a 100 peer defeat.

There are three years until the next general election.

Article 50 allows two years of negotiation.

The government were "literally never accepting" the amendments to the Sexual Offences (Amendment) Act 2000. Doesn't mean the Tories didn't stop trying to kill the bill.

learnincurve posted:

The lords is mostly there to stop people sneaking stuff though, and as a "are you sure"

I'm pretty sure that the latter applies to the parliamentary sovereignty amendment, at least.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The deputy governor of the bank of england has just resigned 2 weeks into the job after failing to disclose her brother worked for barclays lol

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Are you arguing for abolishing the upper house entirely?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

DesperateDan posted:

But that wasn't the claim, the claim was, "remaining in the UK is the only way to stay in the EU". Turns out the only way for scotland to be in the EU is to leave the UK.
The first part is true. The second part is half-true but it does require leaving the EU and rejoining it.

quote:

Would you care to explain why [Verhofstadt's] opinion is so easily disregarded rather than simply stating it as thus? I mean if the guy is an irrelevant fuckwad, my bad, but please explain- as lead brexit negotiator for the EU, I thought he might have some insight on poo poo inside the EU that your average SA poster might not.
Yeah, happily, the guy's position as the lead brexit negotiator is exactly why the UK government has no interest in his bullshit wrt Scotland.

I mean so far since the referendum we've had him:

- Ask through tears of rage why the Brits at the european parliament didn't go to America if they liked it so much (unbelievable).
- Offer Brits who wrote to him some kind of special "one of the good ones" badge because he has no respect for working people of all European nations affected by this process.
- Try to interfere in another referendum by suggesting that actually the Scots'll be fine to join if they quit, might even be some kind of special deal gently caress it why not so long as he's involved.

The guy's a massive prima donna. He is almost the worst possible pick for lead EU negotiator, and it was a snub to send him to do the job.

Thankfully we're sending our best in... *reads card* nostalgic libertarian David Davis MP, with the Disgraced Liam Fox as his second? Sakes.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

A "100 peer defeat" isn't a meaningful thing, given how swiftly it crumbled. A year of delays is. It's unknown what the eventual outcome of the delays would be. But let's look at some things it would potentially do-

Throw the government timetable completely out of whack, humiliating May
Give more time for high level planning amongst the civil service and the EU as to the actual mechanics of Brexit
Given more time to train and recruit key personnel- including the Trade Negotiators who will be key in a post Brexit situation
Stoke popular anger against the lords- potentially leading to a wider effort to reform the house
Stoke popular anger against the elites- leading to a rise of populist nationalism
Trigger a snap election as the government tries to force the issue
Lead to a general cooling off on Brexit, due to wider political circumstances
Lead to the government caving, and passing an amended Bill in order to trigger Article 50
Something wild in the political landscape- a resurgent labour party, a worldwide economic downturn, massive global catastrophe, a big war or other total gamechanger

(Many of these are mutually exclusive)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TinTower posted:

There are three years until the next general election.

Article 50 allows two years of negotiation.

And the election will be in May. 3 years from now is March, not May. May comes after March.

You've also continued with this delusion that there is a leader of a political party who can win a mandate at the ballot box which also opposing Brexit. Which means you think Labour can win in 2020 and will also replace Corbyn soon, and that his replacement will be Clive Lewis. You're demanding the further polarisation of British politics on something which at this point seems so far-fetched as to be unimaginable without the use of psychedelic drugs. Brexit is happening.

Anyway

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/841277537032556544

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mfcrocker posted:

Events can still derail hard Brexit. A worsening economy could force Tories to come to their senses. And the longer it rumbles on, the clearer it will be that ministers have no plan. At every point progressives must fight, from securing pension rights for EU nationals who have paid taxes here for years to staying in Europol so we don’t see a recreation of the Costa del Crime.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Cerv posted:

Events can still derail hard Brexit. A worsening economy could force Tories to come to their senses. And the longer it rumbles on, the clearer it will be that ministers have no plan. At every point progressives must fight, from securing pension rights for EU nationals who have paid taxes here for years to staying in Europol so we don’t see a recreation of the Costa del Crime.

This is the thing really. "The situation seems bad- let's give up" is rarely the best solution, and never a solution that feels good. More could have been done, and it hasn't been done.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
We could call it decelerationism.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cerv posted:

I really don't think it'd lead to public opinion turning against Brexit. Quite the opposite; all that'd happen is people would get hosed off with the Lords and Labour/Lib Dems for blocking THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE (tm)

kustomkarkommando posted:

Are you arguing for abolishing the upper house entirely?

No? Quite the opposite, I'd prefer the upper house had more power, but not in its current unelected form. That doesn't mean I'm going to ignore how the House of Lords works today in practice, which is that if the government has no interest in their amendments, they're poo poo out of luck.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Dehumanise yourself and face to Brexit, mate. In the meantime, it's now legal to fire people for wearing islamic headscarves and stuff. Legalised religious discrimination, nothing can possibly go wrong.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

And the election will be in May. 3 years from now is March, not May. May comes after March.

Parliament will get dissolved, at the latest, in March 2020.

The Civil Service wouldn't even implement the Pet All Kittens Act during purdah, let alone the greatest constitutional change in a century.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TinTower posted:

The Civil Service wouldn't even implement the Pet All Kittens Act during purdah, let alone the greatest constitutional change in a century.

Emailing my MP immediately to get this Act through, but only if we can amend it to also include dogs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Such a deal assumes that May would negotiate an utterly dogshit deal (at this point looking quite likely) that voters would come to their senses (not likely) and take part in the #LibDemFightBack leading to 100 years of Lib Dem hegemony.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

mfcrocker posted:

Emailing my MP immediately to get this Act through, but only if we can amend it to also include dogs.

Listen here you anti-patriot, we tried to guarantee the petting of dogs but the EU said they wouldn't even talk about it until we formally initiated the Catxit process. We sympathise with dogs but we need to think about our kittens first.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/j_amesp/status/841537108980449280

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

DesperateDan posted:

But that wasn't the claim, the claim was, "remaining in the UK is the only way to stay in the EU". Turns out the only way for scotland to be in the EU is to leave the UK.

Would you care to explain why his opinion is so easily disregarded rather than simply stating it as thus? I mean if the guy is an irrelevant fuckwad, my bad, but please explain- as lead brexit negotiator for the EU, I thought he might have some insight on poo poo inside the EU that your average SA poster might not.

I mean then you also have the head of the European commission in the UK saying

“There are a number of official candidate countries – Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia, Herzegovina, [but] they are still quite some way away from meeting the criteria for membership. And obviously were Scotland to become independent, they would join that list. Now, it might be easier for an independent Scotland to meet those criteria. The fact that all your legislation has to be in alignment with existing European rules would presumably not be too difficult for Scotland, compared with, say, Montenegro. And that might enable them to move faster than others.”

Which would point to an article 48 rather than article 49 succession- which makes sense as they already are demonstrably compliant and conversant with european law. Even the strongest objections I can find from spain seem to amount to "well it can't be an automatic thing, they would have to be out of the UK first" which just seems to be the drat rules anyway- no mention of any kind of veto or even a block on negotiation from the spanish government.

Coming in to this a bit late, but I just wanted to clear up a misunderstanding. Verhofstadt is largely irrelevant at this stage - UK newspapers that keep referring to him as the EU's lead negotiator, but he's not. He represents the Parliament, and will have an influence over the final decision, but the negotiations themselves are led by the European Commission, not the Parliament. Michel Barnier is the lead Brexit negotiator, and he is the one the UK has to negotiate with. The process for Scottish accession would be very different and have to go through a few hurdles, but regarding this point, Verhfostadt can say whatever he wants, because he has no power to do any of it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It fell around 100 basis points! ARGH!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Cerv posted:

Events can still derail hard Brexit. A worsening economy could force Tories to come to their senses.

lol May will happily destroy the UK economy before brexit if she thinks hard brexit is popular and things would get really bad/interesting once it happens

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

jBrereton posted:

It fell around 100 basis points! ARGH!
Yeah, it's not exactly the plummet of last year, and its not hit the low what we saw in January this year. Hardly worth commenting on.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pochoclo posted:

In the meantime, it's now legal to fire people for wearing islamic headscarves and stuff. Legalised religious discrimination, nothing can possibly go wrong.

Still illegal under UK law. (With exception if you can demonstrate a genuine health & safety reason)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jose posted:

lol May will happily destroy the UK economy before brexit if she thinks hard brexit is popular and things would get really bad/interesting once it happens

tories plural
one thing they're good at is removing leaders who've lost their backing

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pesmerga posted:

Verhfostadt can say whatever he wants, because he has no power to do any of it.
This kind of summarizes Verhofstadt's entire career in European politics to date.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's funny though, I'm almost certain that if the European court had allowed employers to ban headscarves a couple days -before- the referendum, Remain would have won. I mean just look at the Mail comments and such - "finally the EU starts listening to what people want". Disgusting.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

It's funny though, I'm almost certain that if the European court had allowed employers to ban headscarves a couple days -before- the referendum, Remain would have won. I mean just look at the Mail comments and such - "finally the EU starts listening to what people want". Disgusting.
Not bloody likely.

And the UK is still much more muslim-friendly than most of the rest of the EU.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I don't know, the vote was pretty drat close. A 2% swing would have been enough.

It's still a useless what-if, though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think 'vote for us and we'll be more racist' might have lost the Asian vote.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

quote:

Arron Banks cuts links with Ukip

Arron Banks, the erstwhile Ukip donor, Nigel Farage ally and Leave.EU founder, has finally cut his links with Ukip.

He has been critical of the party for some time now, and has suggested he may stand against Ukip’s only MP Douglas Carswell at the next election, but now he has finally given up on the party after a row about his membership being suspended.

He has just issued this statement.

"Ukip has somehow managed to allow my membership to lapse this year despite having given [sic] considerably more than the annual membership fee over the past 12 months.

On reapplying I was told my membership was suspended pending my appearance at a NEC meeting.

Apparently, my comments about the party being run like a squash club committee and Mr Carswell have not gone down well.

I now realise I was being unfair to squash clubs all over the UK and I apologise to them.

We will now be concentrating on our new movement."

By “new movement”, Banks means the grassroots, populist movement that he plans to build up, based on the success Leave.EU had mobilising leave supporters using social media.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why do people assume people voted to leave because of racism? I'm sick of the London based media portraying the majority of the country as being ignorant racists because they want to leave Europe. Your average racist is fully aware that Asia isn't in Europe and that won't make any difference to immigration from those countries. If you want a more accurate stereotype then try " being sick of the UK paying in to prop up Eastern European countries who don't contribute poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

big scary monsters posted:

I dunno, there was The Vow that was immediately shot and buried following the No vote, and there was Gordon Brown's last minute essay writing and I can barely remember what else Labour was involved in in the last referendum. Of course I was living in Scotland so probably wasn't the main focus of their campaign.

Alistair Darling was the head of Better Together, and Jim Murphy made it his raison d'ętre to campaign against. The Unionist campaign was very much "Tory Money, Labour Action".

• Locked thread