Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Siivola posted:

Aw, Emmy's still banned.

Has there EVER been a Standard un-banning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't really care if you believe that was true because lots there are plenty of tournament results to back up that lots of other decks did well in lots of different tournaments.

Seconding This. I shut down my local store for the entire month that rav was the main deck playing bant flicker and forcing rav control to use as many counters as they could. then they got outpaced by blinking thragtusks

To this day I still feel ripped off that I dont own a AVR/RTR Champion playmat

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

People remember RAV/THS also had Mazes's End decks which means it was a better Standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AkumaHokoru posted:

Seconding This. I shut down my local store for the entire month that rav was the main deck playing bant flicker and forcing rav control to use as many counters as they could. then they got outpaced by blinking thragtusks

To this day I still feel ripped off that I dont own a AVR/RTR Champion playmat

Thragtusk wasn't in standard with Theros block.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

even the less good recent standards like rally standard and bant company standard had more than 3 decks making top 8s of GPs. this one has been a real low point for diversity, at least in premier level results.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tales of Woe posted:

even the less good recent standards like rally standard and bant company standard had more than 3 decks making top 8s of GPs. this one has been a real low point for diversity, at least in premier level results.

Diversity isn't necessary for good gameplay though. (Not that I think this standard has that either.)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Diversity isn't necessary for good gameplay though. (Not that I think this standard has that either.)

I definitely believe it is. I don't think every format needs a top 16 to be 16 different decks at a premier event, although its pretty fun right now in modern. It does need some variety all the way down to fnm level or the format or people lose interest.

I honestly can see how a grinder enjoys standard currently. With only 3 decks being viable at all, the most practiced players can have an even heavier advantage. Less chances good players are matched with decks that they didn't metagame for and lose.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

I definitely believe it is. I don't think every format needs a top 16 to be 16 different decks at a premier event, although its pretty fun right now in modern. It does need some variety all the way down to fnm level or the format or people lose interest.

I honestly can see how a grinder enjoys standard currently. With only 3 decks being viable at all, the most practiced players can have an even heavier advantage. Less chances good players are matched with decks that they didn't metagame for and lose.

I don't know anyone who likes this standard format. From casuals to guys who play on the pro tour regularly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't know anyone who likes this standard format. From casuals to guys who play on the pro tour regularly.

https://twitter.com/CedricAPhillips/status/841382114113310720

There definitely are more of the usual suspects in the pro tour crowd who agree but Cedric is a tweet that I remembered.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

For example, the Caw-Blade mirror is pretty fun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/CedricAPhillips/status/841382114113310720

There definitely are more of the usual suspects in the pro tour crowd who agree but Cedric is a tweet that I remembered.

Well i don't know him personally...

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The guy who commentates standard events for his store would like standard if it slept with his waifu.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Can I just say how absurdly terrible the Magic Duels AI is? I'm playing through the story mode and it feels like playing against the default AI in Shandalar. My AI opponent controls Eager Construct and Contraband Kingpin. They cast Cataclysmic Gearhulk. They end up with the Gearhulk and the Kingpin in the graveyard, with Eager Construct as their only nonland permanent. They then don't attack my Chandra, Torch of Defiance at 2 counters when I have no untapped creatures.

Also this game is an embarrassment, almost as much as Magic Online.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Cryptic Rosewater on lack of graveyard hate, "There is a method to our madness." http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/158379918668/why-isnt-there-any-interaction-with-opponents

I'm guessing the next block will have a graveyard "afterlife" theme or something. It's kind of a crappy theory though, because it's not like they couldn't have tested Kaladesh cards against Amonkhet cards anyway.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

clamiam45 posted:

Cryptic Rosewater on lack of graveyard hate, "There is a method to our madness." http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/158379918668/why-isnt-there-any-interaction-with-opponents

I'm guessing the next block will have a graveyard "afterlife" theme or something. It's kind of a crappy theory though, because it's not like they couldn't have tested Kaladesh cards against Amonkhet cards anyway.

The method is have no GY hate for 2 loving years because they didn't want answers in standard.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I would not say that "there is a method to our madness" when FFL and design are in shambles.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

'Actually we've had a plan for it the whole time' doesn't really work when you also had to resort to just banning Emrakul.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I get that they don't have anything for exiling whole GYs because that would be such a hoser to Delerium (Mindwrack Demon could be unplayable) but a "t: exile a card from a GY" artifact or similar seems like it could fit in Kaladesh. Or even shuffle it into the deck.

I dropped out of standard due to other commitments before EDM standard established itself and just now I don't know if I will play it seriously until hopefully Amonkhet. I might try BW Control/Midrange again since it seems like it can field some answers to the top 2 decks and the Constrictor decks or a rogue BW Revolt/Displacer deck I came across, but I don't want to invest right now. Guess with MM I'd be playing limited anyway.

I have booked to fly to Montreal for the (standard) GP, so I really hope the block brings improvements, especially since I dig the theme and preview art.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I get that they don't have anything for exiling whole GYs because that would be such a hoser to Delerium (Mindwrack Demon could be unplayable) but a "t: exile a card from a GY" artifact or similar seems like it could fit in Kaladesh. Or even shuffle it into the deck.

I dropped out of standard due to other commitments before EDM standard established itself and just now I don't know if I will play it seriously until hopefully Amonkhet. I might try BW Control/Midrange again since it seems like it can field some answers to the top 2 decks and the Constrictor decks or a rogue BW Revolt/Displacer deck I came across, but I don't want to invest right now. Guess with MM I'd be playing limited anyway.

I have booked to fly to Montreal for the (standard) GP, so I really hope the block brings improvements, especially since I dig the theme and preview art.

Graveyard strategies have existed while they have had really good hate for it as well. They don't have it right now not because they can't but because they are loving idiots.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

clamiam45 posted:

"Standard is where it is by intentional design choices" is actually the opposite of what you want to be saying there, MaRo.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
mgmegadog asked: "There is a method to our madness." Considering the lack of answers in standard being one of the overwhelming complaints with the format, I'm sure you can understand why many of us see that answer as not good enough.

Part of what I do on my blog is tease things. That means I can’t always give full answers.

If the majority of people want me to stop teasing with the occasional cryptic answer, I can do that, but my gut is that isn’t what the majority would want. Maybe I’m wrong though.

So I guess let’s ask all of you. Do you like my occasionally cryptic answers?

a) Yes, it’s cool to try and piece together what you mean.

b) No, if you can’t outright tell us something, don’t bother responding.

Please pick and answer and explain why.

*Backpedals furiously*

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

black potus posted:

*Backpedals furiously*
WotC policy in a nutshell.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

I really don't see what the big problem is, we have great graveyard hate already.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Attorney at Funk posted:

For example, the Caw-Blade mirror is pretty fun.

The thing most people hated about caw blade was that it required a bunch of $50 mythics. Remember when that was novel for a Standard deck?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

The thing most people hated about caw blade was that it required a bunch of $50 mythics. Remember when that was novel for a Standard deck?

Yeah. Was pretty funny having a deck named Mythic Bant because of that. Now what we really need is a standard deck with RB mythics, the color pair that is traditionally the cheapest.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

ThePeavstenator posted:

"Standard is where it is by intentional design choices" is actually the opposite of what you want to be saying there, MaRo.

I mean it likely is that they did all the things they did on purpose and had some sort of plan.... it just turned out bad

Who knows what the plan to pull it back out is

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

All according to Keikaku
/

*Keikaku means plan

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Considering Maro's already working on the 2019 block, I'm not too sure he even remembers the plan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I played Magic for the first time in a long time yesterday. Is it me or would it be hilarious if everyone used Rune Snag as their counterspells?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

black potus posted:

mgmegadog asked: "There is a method to our madness." Considering the lack of answers in standard being one of the overwhelming complaints with the format, I'm sure you can understand why many of us see that answer as not good enough.

Part of what I do on my blog is tease things. That means I can’t always give full answers.

If the majority of people want me to stop teasing with the occasional cryptic answer, I can do that, but my gut is that isn’t what the majority would want. Maybe I’m wrong though.

Is Rosewater just not required to run this poo poo by a PR person? You could not have designed a worse answer if you tried.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
maro's personal blog is just that, his personal blog

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Most companies have a social media policy to prevent employees from commenting on company products.

Wizards policy is "use #WotCStaff".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

maro's personal blog is just that, his personal blog

This would have more meaning if he didn't answer questions about the company on there and WOTC wasn't a company that made their employees type #WOTCSTAFF on their personal tweets.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

This would have more meaning if he didn't answer questions about the company on there and WOTC wasn't a company that made their employees type #WOTCSTAFF on their personal tweets.

the only meaning i meant was that wotc doesn't have any say in what he says, which of course bites him in the rear end roughly once a week

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

the only meaning i meant was that wotc doesn't have any say in what he says, which of course bites him in the rear end roughly once a week

WOTC without a doubt has a say in what he public says about his company if he wants to keep his job.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you know what i meant, he doesn't have to screen any of his tumblr posts by a pr guy

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Thragtusk wasn't in standard with Theros block.

"The month RAV was the main" though I typed this like a hype spaz This was referring to Rav Block though I now realize the convo was covering theros block despite mentioning sphinx revo which was not the deck holding poo poo down in theros. Iirc that was RG monstrosity

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Cactrot posted:

Most companies have a social media policy to prevent employees from commenting on company products.

Wizards policy is "use #WotCStaff".

I am reminded of the Venture Bros. "When captured, our only orders are 'Don't tattle on the Monarch'."

WotC seem to be at about that level with their PR. Probably worse, since they keep allowing MaRo to post on the internet, which I have yet to see resulting in anything but meme-generation for the Magic community.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
After five years of asking, Mark was finally awarded the privilege of uncensored posting in his 2016 performance review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Death Bot posted:

I mean it likely is that they did all the things they did on purpose and had some sort of plan.... it just turned out bad

Who knows what the plan to pull it back out is

Yeah that's what my post was addressing. Standard is poo poo and you don't want your public position to be "don't worry, we planned it this way!"

black potus posted:

*Backpedals furiously*

...and you doubly don't want to coyly put out a cryptic message that doesn't really answer the question and then when called out on it, simultaneously double-down/backtrack by committing the PR no-no of "fine, what do YOU want me to say?"

• Locked thread