Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

your waifu is of inferior genus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

Why they went to the lazy as hell Illustrator gradient-fill art is beyond me:

Wait... is this from the actual new codexeses? cause holy poo poo if so

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

SRM posted:

Why they went to the lazy as hell Illustrator gradient-fill art is beyond me:

The thing that pisses me off most about these is the amount of ugly, empty whitespace. The old ones had little details crammed in everywhere, but the new ones are not only lower quality, but give you much less art-per-page. I first saw the new cut-paste-fill art style in the 7th Edition Necron Codex, and immediately hated it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The big white space needs something to break it up, like maybe the gridwork the old IA articles had.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The colours always look like a printing error on those lovely MS paint ones they do now. They blight the presentation of the hardback codexes.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Does anyone know how easy it is to combine Cult Mechanicus/Skitaari? They just seem like they should be one army to me. Do their special rules interact in any meaningful ways?

Oh, and some of these kits seem to be buildable in multiple configurations... is there a "good" unit and a "bad" unit I should know about for the Skitaari infantry dudes?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Dropfleet Commander rulebook is the new gold standard for art now, and the trio of Warpath books aren't far behind

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

TsarZiedonis posted:

Does anyone know how easy it is to combine Cult Mechanicus/Skitaari? They just seem like they should be one army to me. Do their special rules interact in any meaningful ways?

Oh, and some of these kits seem to be buildable in multiple configurations... is there a "good" unit and a "bad" unit I should know about for the Skitaari infantry dudes?

There's a couple of ways. Basic way to do it is to have a Cult Mechanicus detachment and ally in a Skitarii detachment, but this doesn't allow you to apply Canticles to Skitarii like the other two methods.

Second way is to build a War Convocation list, which consists of a standard Cult detatchment, a Skitarii Battle Maniple and a Knight. This is by far the most powerful method of doing it, giving Canticles to Skitarii units, plus ignoring Gets Hot and free upgrades. Only problem is the Battle Maniple is super rigid, and because it's so powerful it can be pretty unsuited for casual friendly games.

Third way is the combined Mechanicum list in Fall of Cadia. This way lets you freely mix and match units as if they were on codex, but you have to max out your unit slots to get army-wide Canticles, which is unfeasible in anything under 3000~ points.

As for units, only real trap unit is the Electro-Priests. Everything else is fine, and down to personal taste, I don't particularly like Ballistarii and Sicaran Infiltrators, but they're fine as units.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Moola posted:

Wait... is this from the actual new codexeses? cause holy poo poo if so

Any of the ones for units that aren't completely armoured are particularly special, see babby's first sybarite:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
They wouldn't look so bad if they out a bit more effort into the shading. They just look so... flat.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if Belisarius counts toward the unit activation count for Canticles of the Omnissiah?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

goose willis posted:

You know how Mantic makes a lot of sick stuff that can be converted to Imperial or Chaos poo poo?

How about Dark Eldar or Tyranid alternative figures? I have a friend that plays both and he's looking for some cool stuff.

I picked up some not!Wraiths from PuppetsWar.eu. Mostly I'm going to grab a pod or two for counts-as Tyrannocytes.

They also have lots of Tyranid and Necron counts-as models.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 14, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

Does anyone know if Belisarius counts toward the unit activation count for Canticles of the Omnissiah?

He does.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

loving lol

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

There's a couple of ways. Basic way to do it is to have a Cult Mechanicus detachment and ally in a Skitarii detachment, but this doesn't allow you to apply Canticles to Skitarii like the other two methods.

Second way is to build a War Convocation list, which consists of a standard Cult detatchment, a Skitarii Battle Maniple and a Knight. This is by far the most powerful method of doing it, giving Canticles to Skitarii units, plus ignoring Gets Hot and free upgrades. Only problem is the Battle Maniple is super rigid, and because it's so powerful it can be pretty unsuited for casual friendly games.

Third way is the combined Mechanicum list in Fall of Cadia. This way lets you freely mix and match units as if they were on codex, but you have to max out your unit slots to get army-wide Canticles, which is unfeasible in anything under 3000~ points.

As for units, only real trap unit is the Electro-Priests. Everything else is fine, and down to personal taste, I don't particularly like Ballistarii and Sicaran Infiltrators, but they're fine as units.

Hmm, so it sounds like I'll be a bit locked into a war convocation list.

Thanks!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

goose willis posted:

You know how Mantic makes a lot of sick stuff that can be converted to Imperial or Chaos poo poo?

How about Dark Eldar or Tyranid alternative figures? I have a friend that plays both and he's looking for some cool stuff.

Mantic has some stuff coming out late this year related to Star Saga, a new army called the Nameless that are all sharp claws, shells, and tentacles, but they're a while away. Concept art at the link.

Finding alternate Aeldari stuff has always been really hard.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

spacegoat posted:

loving lol

Seriously. That's so gross

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

NTRabbit posted:

Mantic has some stuff coming out late this year related to Star Saga, a new army called the Nameless that are all sharp claws, shells, and tentacles, but they're a while away. Concept art at the link.

Finding alternate Aeldari stuff has always been really hard.

I swear I've killed like three of those models in Metal Slug games.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I swear I've killed like three of those models in Metal Slug games.

Thank god it's not just me who went straight to "Those are loving shmup bosses".

I was thinking G-Darius, to be fair.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Some of those look like literally mirelurks from Fallout.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Looks like my store is doing 200 point HQ Arena battle for the Gathering Storm event on the 25th.

My option is pretty much Belisarius Cawl. How do you guys think he will fair/how should I run him? I'll undoubtedly be going up against Celestine. (Someone brought her last time.)

From what else I could see from the last game, there were 3 Space Wolves players, 2 demon players (Tzeentch and Nurgle), Chaos, Tau and a few other SM players.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Cawl's a big target, but luckily he's tough. So long as people don't gang up on you, you'll have a large amount of sustain with his self-heal. Keep him on the edge of fights and snipe non-EW models with his gun as often as you can.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/14/new-game-announced-at-gama-trade-show/

A new Marine (Scouts) vs Orkz skirmish boxed game has been announced.
Interesting to see that they did it during a trade show in Vegas.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/14/new-game-announced-at-gama-trade-show/

Necromunda style gameplay test maybe?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That logo is 90's as gently caress.

Sounds pretty neat, almost Necromunda-ish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cooked Auto posted:

This better not suck.

Orks!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Re-reading the article, apparently they're gonna be doing a couple of other announcements.

8th ed confirmation perhaps?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Time to sell my rulebook

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
With the crossover potential between AoS and 40K, my money is on them previewing some Nurgle stuff.

I'll be surprised if they outright say "a new rulebook is coming" because then no one will want to buy the stock sat on store shelves for the next 3 months.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

Someone commented on the facebook page announcement about how they're lame for doing BA and not Steel Legion and they commented back with "Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions."

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zuul the Cat posted:

Someone commented on the facebook page announcement about how they're lame for doing BA and not Steel Legion and they commented back with "Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions."

Yeah, if they'll be lame for anything it'll be for re-using the 3rd ed ork sculpts again.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Between this and Lost Patrol it sounds like they have a bunch of scout sprues they need to clear out

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hustlin Floh posted:

Between this and Lost Patrol it sounds like they have a bunch of scout sprues they need to clear out

How many people actually use scouts?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Cooked Auto posted:

I want some scouts and some orkz so this may have been my fault sorry guys.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ijyt posted:

Yeah, if they'll be lame for anything it'll be for re-using the 3rd ed ork sculpts again.

Perfect opportunity to produce plastic kommandos and a weird boy so you know they will re-release more AoBR boyz and the big boss.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Technowolf posted:

How many people actually use scouts?

I have five whole scouts that are for my Lion's Blade. I even painted them all!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD PSYKER BOY

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Well that's definitely better terrain than gangs of commorragh

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

xtothez posted:

Well that's definitely better terrain than gangs of commorragh

gently caress. I see 10 boyz and 10 scouts. No additional special characters. I could use all those models and the terrain looks good. Would buy. Might even be a good way to play with kids if the rules were simple enough.

Really really needs some sort of cool bonus characters to really sell it.

Thank god it's boyz and not nobz and grots like that loving space wolves/orks boxed set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

:aaa:
I can only hope this means plastic Steel Legion. Because I would suddenly develop a great need to have them.

• Locked thread