Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pacra posted:

• Marvel comic #3 - a Starfleet Academy book, which took place right after DS9's Little Green Men episode, when Nog gets to Earth. He's a main character of course, as Cadet Nog. This series follows the same xxxxxtreme late 90s style.

I remember Starfleet Academy not being that bad.
I can only assume that middle school me just had bad taste and it was awful.

Also, does the collection not include the Gold Key Star trek books?
Edit:

This one was the oldest comic in my collection before I sold them all off.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Man I notice this every time I watch Duet but the rando racist Bajoran who kills Aamin Maritza is played by suuuuch a terrible actor

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, DS9 has some pretty spotty guest casting early on. Jennifer Sisko is my personal pick for worst because she's so prominent, but a lot of the Bajorans and random station residents are just awful.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

8one6 posted:

Edit:

My old-school Trekker dad has a ton of these.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

gardenald posted:

Man I notice this every time I watch Duet but the rando racist Bajoran who kills Aamin Maritza is played by suuuuch a terrible actor

Wasn't he drunk in every scene?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So did Kirk take Jean Grey to his lovenasium?

Also Lt Shelby is a borg! It's all Rikers fault! Is hilarious.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What, no mention of the Star Trek/X-Men crossover comic??

(there was a Star Trek TNG/X-Men crossover as well. it sucked)

I did mention it :) "Marvel came right back in 1996 and 1997 to try to capitalize on Star Trek popularity. They seemed to lose some momentum because their first issue was the infamous Star Trek TNG / X-Men crossover,"

8one6 posted:

I remember Starfleet Academy not being that bad.
I can only assume that middle school me just had bad taste and it was awful.

Edit:

Sorry, I don't have any of the old school Gold Key books on me. Weren't those the ones that had the photorealistic covers and then looked like Prince Valiant comics inside?

I'll start looking through the second volume DC TOS and TNG comics and make some decent posts on them.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

This one's my favorite for some reason

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

twistedmentat posted:

So did Kirk take Jean Grey to his lovenasium?

Also Lt Shelby is a borg! It's all Rikers fault! Is hilarious.

It's ok, she made Captain by the time of 'You are Cordially Invited...' apparently.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

8one6 posted:

Edit:

The Gold Key comics were wonderful. The artist had very... limited references to work from.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

mllaneza posted:

The Gold Key comics were wonderful. The artist had very... limited references to work from.

A British comic of the 70s reprinted the Gold Key stuff at two pages per week. The one where animals were turned into screaming tree monsters terrified me as a kid - though even at that age, I still wondered "Wait, the Enterprise is a spaceship - so how did those drifting space spores get into the ventilation system?"

Also, apparently McCoy had a room full of experimental lab animals. :stare:

Edit: apparently the spores were so powerful that they seeped through the hull. Uh-huh. Also, despite some of the plants being intelligent, Kirk decides that every square inch of the planet's surface has to be razed by phaser fire to destroy every last speck of vegetation. "To seek out new life, and new civilisations... and burn those motherfuckers to ash!"

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 14, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, Martok's wife is amazing. I love how Worf is basically all "just do whatever she says" when Dax knows the only way to earn her respect is to stand up to her.

Sort of. Dax stood up to her but was such a know-it-all about it and refused to follow any tradition that the only was she was accepted at the end was to bow down to the matriarch. ...which isn't the best message in a marriage episode now that I think about it but whatever, Klingons.

Basically stand up to Sirella but do whatever she wants anyways because otherwise :ese: just with a Klingon hat

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel as though Worf and Dax's marriage probably wouldn't have lasted anyway if she'd survived.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel as though Worf and Dax's marriage probably wouldn't have lasted anyway if she'd survived.

She might have loosened Worf up enough, who knows.

Otherwise yeah, she'd leave him when he insisted on doing the 72 hour Do'r'ghnugh ritual every anniversary or making their toddler eat a live targ heart or something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't imagine Bashir and Ezri lasted long past the end of the series either.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

It's ok, she made Captain by the time of 'You are Cordially Invited...' apparently.

She got the borg from Riker's dick no doubt. Some space antibiotics cleared it right up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't imagine Bashir and Ezri lasted long past the end of the series either.

I still think there must have been at least one shouting match in the writers room over whether the O'Briens should have divorced at some point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I still think there must have been at least one shouting match in the writers room over whether the O'Briens should have divorced at some point.

I'm almost positive that someone -- maybe Moore -- says in the Companion that it was discussed on more than one occasion.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pacra posted:

• Marvel comic #4 - a DS9 book. Notable for still being xxxxtreme, but with better art than the Malibu series (Marvel had just bought them out and restarted the DS9 run. These take place during the 5th and 6th seasons.)

This was after I'd stopped reading (my "nerd comics" interest fizzled out around the time the Malibu DS9 ended, and this would have come out around the time I was discovering Vertigo), but the TOS Movie/DS9 logo mashup is making my head hurt while also wanting more of it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

I'm almost positive that someone -- maybe Moore -- says in the Companion that it was discussed on more than one occasion.

This is priceless after all those BSG podcasts where his wife would happen by and say something

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

She might have loosened Worf up enough, who knows.

Otherwise yeah, she'd leave him when he insisted on doing the 72 hour Do'r'ghnugh ritual every anniversary or making their toddler eat a live targ heart or something.

"oh for gently caress's sake worf you're russian, stop being such a klingaboo"

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

This didn't happen because Miles O'Brien Must Suffer. Divorce would have been sweet mercy for him.

Watched two episodes of ENT last night:

ENT 2.13: "Dawn"

While I liked this episode better when it was called "Darmok" and it had Patrick Stewart in it, I liked this one anyway. Trip continues to be one of the better characters.

ENT 2.14: "Stigma"

I'm glad (well, "glad") that T'Pol's Space Rape was finally brought up again and that it wasn't just a callous throwaway thing for one episode in season one. There's too much of "have the female character get raped for a cheap plot and then never talk about it again" in science fiction. Bringing that back gave this episode another layer of complication besides the obvious, "don't persecute Space Gays for their Space AIDS." T'Pol's unwillingness to face the shame of her assault conflicted well with her want to expose the Vulcans for being dickbags to their Space Gays. If not for that, this episode would have just been a ham-fisted lecture about the AIDS epidemic at least five years after it would have mattered in the US. Had this episode aired in the late 80's or mid-90's on TNG, it could have been quite a thing. But to watch it in 2017, or even in 2003 when it originally aired, my only thought about the Space AIDS was, "well, duh."

B-plot: Phlox continues to be the best character. To wit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgR9zWSoNRc

"Did she offer to give you a rose petal bath?" :heysexy:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

mllaneza posted:

Alberto Giolitti was an artist who was born in Italy in 1923, then moved to South America later, then lived in the US long enough to get citizenship, then moved back to Rome in 1960. His art is full of wonderful examples of classical statues and Rome-inspired architecture. One of his inspirations was Alex Raymond, who drew the original Flash Gordon strips, and he drew a lot of ships and tech from that era in his Gold Key run.

He was extremely prolific and a consummate photographer as well; in fact, when he had trouble drawing the Enterprise in his early Star Trek issues, he bought an AMT model, photographed it in various positions, and drew it in from the photos!

He also never, ever got to see the original TV show until well after he finished his run on the Gold Key comics. Someone literally just sent him the standard press kit for the TV show (you often see the characters in the comic as redraws of stock poses from that kit) and he pretty much winged everything else from there. That's why in the example, the bridge looks like an amalgam of mad scientist displays and machines; anyone who ever watched the show even once knows Spock doesn't sit in front of some big lump of poo poo, he has a flat console with screens and a peep show funnel. He kinda started to draw the real bridge towards the end of his run.

In a nod to the off-kilter Gold Key comics, IDW's current Trek comic "Star Trek: Waypoint" recognizes the Gold Key "universe" as a distinct genre, they've already had stories set there. In the Gold Key universe, they play fast and loose with technology, often adopting 40's-50s style ideas of robots and spaceships, and all the Klingons are either bald or wear Moe haircuts and sashes and pirate boots.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 15, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Star Trek has always been a bit... Heavy-handed and WAY the gently caress behind the times as far as "progressive thought" goes. Roddenberry's heart was in the right place (and he did a good job of it in the '60s with early TOS) but especially in like late TOS (Turnabout Intruder comes to mind) and early TNG, he was just very clumsy and heavy-handed (and downright embarrassing) when trying to portray his brand utopianism or whatever. Skants come to mind, as well as the episode "Justice" (which I actually enjoy despite its absurdity because it's practically a TOS episode in its vibe).

And then Berman took over, and he was EXTREMELY adamant about pushing out any and all attempts to include overt homosexuality on the show. It's actually sort of AMAZING that Berman kept it up for literally ~450 episodes (or thereabouts) of Star Trek spanning from season 3 of TNG to the end of Enterprise, out of *every* show you'll find writers complaining about how he would *always* turn any gay characters straight or excise any references to gay people. Even in the *one* episode on DS9 that featured a gay kiss (two attractive female actors of course) had to do with Dax and the context of the episode was that their relationship was taboo to Trill society (but not because they were gay nuh-uh!) but for another annoyingly complex reason dealing with symbiants and past hosts getting involved.

It reminded me oddly of the one TNG episode that dared to go near homosexuality with a 200,000-foot pole in the episode "The Outcast" where Riker falls in love with a person who belongs to a species with only one gender. Of course this person is *clearly* played by a woman, and talks about how it was always more natural for her to feel more feminine and want to be attracted to more masculine individuals, but of course her species vies this as EXTREMELY taboo and wrong, and they abduct her and brainwash her into being like them, and Riker sad but Prime Directive, end episode. At least that's how I recall it. It felt totally muddled and weird and the mono-gendered species came across like a bunch of really mean and bossy butch lesbians.

But anyway, both episodes kinda go out of their way to show that free love does NOT exist in the future, and everyone is apparently OK with this, and the fact that we never really see, nor hear speak of, *any* REMOTELY homosexual relationships in ANY of the 450-odd episodes, barring the two aforementioned episodes.

I also remember from that ridiculous Shatner documentary about TNG with all the silly animations, about the first two seasons of TNG and what a massive clusterfuck it was? Berman was talking to Gene about the episode Captain's Holiday, because there seemed to be some agreement that Picard ought to be doing a bit more "loving and fighting", and Gene was in particular very keen on Risa (of course) which he had a very specific vision for. He wanted there to be a *lot* of "same-sex" romance/copulation going on in the background scenes, and very much wanted to stress that homosexuality was a bit part of Risa. And Berman was like "yeah man right on" to Gene, who was pretty far gone at this point, and out of this conversation all he told the writer was "just get Picard laid", knowing that Gene probably wouldn't even remember the conversation anyway.

I don't know - it just makes me sad. I don't want Star Trek to be SUPER GAY or anything. It'd just be nice if they acknowledged the goddamn existence of homosexuality in the canon universe.

At least TOS is still full of awesome little homoerotic moments and has episodes like I, Mudd and Trouble with Tribbles written by David Gerrold with purposeful and amusing jokes that *gasp* touch on the existence of homosexuality! Such as when Kirk asks Mudd why he doesn't seem to have any "male androids". TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT would never even go that far in even REFERENCING the possibility of gay sex.

Although there was the first Barclay episode where we learn that "Master Barclay" apparently enjoys "spanking" a holographic Wesley, dressed in fetishistic "blue boy" type clothing. I always wondered about that line.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

kaworu posted:

Although there was the first Barclay episode where we learn that "Master Barclay" apparently enjoys "spanking" a holographic Wesley, dressed in fetishistic "blue boy" type clothing. I always wondered about that line.

Yeah, that was ... questionable

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

kaworu posted:

But anyway, both episodes kinda go out of their way to show that free love does NOT exist in the future, and everyone is apparently OK with this, and the fact that we never really see, nor hear speak of, *any* REMOTELY homosexual relationships in ANY of the 450-odd episodes, barring the two aforementioned episodes.
Don't forget the evil bisexuals of the Mirror Universe. :sigh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lord Hydronium posted:

Don't forget the evil bisexuals of the Mirror Universe. :sigh:
In fairness to those writers we are all pretty evil

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

kaworu posted:

Star Trek has always been a bit... Heavy-handed and WAY the gently caress behind the times as far as "progressive thought" goes. Roddenberry's heart was in the right place (and he did a good job of it in the '60s with early TOS) but especially in like late TOS (Turnabout Intruder comes to mind) and early TNG, he was just very clumsy and heavy-handed (and downright embarrassing) when trying to portray his brand utopianism or whatever. Skants come to mind, as well as the episode "Justice" (which I actually enjoy despite its absurdity because it's practically a TOS episode in its vibe).

And then Berman took over, and he was EXTREMELY adamant about pushing out any and all attempts to include overt homosexuality on the show. It's actually sort of AMAZING that Berman kept it up for literally ~450 episodes (or thereabouts) of Star Trek spanning from season 3 of TNG to the end of Enterprise, out of *every* show you'll find writers complaining about how he would *always* turn any gay characters straight or excise any references to gay people. Even in the *one* episode on DS9 that featured a gay kiss (two attractive female actors of course) had to do with Dax and the context of the episode was that their relationship was taboo to Trill society (but not because they were gay nuh-uh!) but for another annoyingly complex reason dealing with symbiants and past hosts getting involved.

It reminded me oddly of the one TNG episode that dared to go near homosexuality with a 200,000-foot pole in the episode "The Outcast" where Riker falls in love with a person who belongs to a species with only one gender. Of course this person is *clearly* played by a woman, and talks about how it was always more natural for her to feel more feminine and want to be attracted to more masculine individuals, but of course her species vies this as EXTREMELY taboo and wrong, and they abduct her and brainwash her into being like them, and Riker sad but Prime Directive, end episode. At least that's how I recall it. It felt totally muddled and weird and the mono-gendered species came across like a bunch of really mean and bossy butch lesbians.

I also remember from that ridiculous Shatner documentary about TNG with all the silly animations, about the first two seasons of TNG and what a massive clusterfuck it was? Berman was talking to Gene about the episode Captain's Holiday, because there seemed to be some agreement that Picard ought to be doing a bit more "loving and fighting", and Gene was in particular very keen on Risa (of course) which he had a very specific vision for. He wanted there to be a *lot* of "same-sex" romance/copulation going on in the background scenes, and very much wanted to stress that homosexuality was a bit part of Risa. And Berman was like "yeah man right on" to Gene, who was pretty far gone at this point, and out of this conversation all he told the writer was "just get Picard laid", knowing that Gene probably wouldn't even remember the conversation anyway.

I don't know - it just makes me sad. I don't want Star Trek to be SUPER GAY or anything. It'd just be nice if they acknowledged the goddamn existence of homosexuality in the canon universe.

At least TOS is still full of awesome little homoerotic moments and has episodes like I, Mudd and Trouble with Tribbles written by David Gerrold with purposeful and amusing jokes that *gasp* touch on the existence of homosexuality! Such as when Kirk asks Mudd why he doesn't seem to have any "male androids". TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT would never even go that far in even REFERENCING the possibility of gay sex.

You have to look at this historically. Ellen DeGeneres had a parental guidance warning put on her show in 1997 for every episode after she came out as gay, and then it went off the air. Today the controversy seems totally absurd to everyone. Homosexuality in mainstream media became acceptable at blinding speed, but before then it could end careers.

By the time TNG rolled around, Gene was straight-up senile.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Rewatching DS9, if you take the Trill as a trans gender parallel, it's actually pretty progressive. I'm sure it's not really what the writers intended, but everyone being okay with Dax having previously been a man is refreshing. There isn't a single character upset about it being icky.

Edit: and the Barney Stinson of the show pursued her and the manliest character ended up with her.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 15, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I've caught the Ellen coming out episode of Ellen a couple times recently on the Laff network and it ends up being really uncomfortable not for showing a gay person but how squeamish it is about gay people existing.

TNG sometimes hits me with the same nausea for its coy treatment of sexuality, though for different reasons. Alexander and Lwaxana in the mud bath with the bodypaint dancer, yeesh.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

kaworu posted:

Geordi: "That's our Barclay! Computer, begin simulation titled Brahm's Lullaby."

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm about to watch the Voyager season 2 finale, in what is now my first-time viewing. I stopped watching about midway through S2 when it was new (graduated college, stopped giving a poo poo). And...AND.. I'm doing a first-time viewing of ENT at the same time. Every day I watch an episode of ENT while I'm working out. 45 or so minutes is perfect. I'm viewing 2007 Chinese DVD bootlegs, FWIW.

ENT started slow but has gotten steadily better. I understand they'll drop the temporal Cold War storyline soon, so it's hard to care too much about those episodes. Still, it's not great overall, just "good." Aside from T'Pol there's been little character growth. It is fun to see the seeds of the Federation, however. Love Phlox.

VOY has been more of a struggle. Janeway is a goddamn moron, and is written VERY inconsistently, aside from always making the wrong decision. The Doctor is great, 7o9 hasn't shown up yet, and everybody else sucks. I started out liking Neelix but now he's an annoying creep. Actually I like Tuvok. He seems to be the only one on board who knows what the gently caress is going on.

Huh I just realized the doctors are two of the most interesting characters on those shows. Like the opposite of TNG.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Despite all the faults of the shows and movies, Star Trek is one of the few sci-fi worlds that living in would not be a constant nightmare. Seriously, I cannot think of any worlds presented in a sci-fi work that would not be terrifying in every moment.

I unironically love the Vulcan plot in Enterprise. That their leaders suppressed the more egalitarian logical doctrines to maintain power was pretty cool.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

kaworu posted:

Thoughtful :words:

This is yet another reason to like DS9, and Garak in particular. Andrew Robinson was playing Garak as bisexual pretty much from the word go, against Rick Berman's wishes. Berman never let the writers explicitly do anything with it, but kudos to Robinson for doing anything more than nothing with homosexuality in Trek canon.

Lincoln posted:

I'm about to watch the Voyager season 2 finale, in what is now my first-time viewing. I stopped watching about midway through S2 when it was new (graduated college, stopped giving a poo poo). And...AND.. I'm doing a first-time viewing of ENT at the same time. Every day I watch an episode of ENT while I'm working out. 45 or so minutes is perfect. I'm viewing 2007 Chinese DVD bootlegs, FWIW.

ENT started slow but has gotten steadily better. I understand they'll drop the temporal Cold War storyline soon, so it's hard to care too much about those episodes. Still, it's not great overall, just "good." Aside from T'Pol there's been little character growth. It is fun to see the seeds of the Federation, however. Love Phlox.

VOY has been more of a struggle. Janeway is a goddamn moron, and is written VERY inconsistently, aside from always making the wrong decision. The Doctor is great, 7o9 hasn't shown up yet, and everybody else sucks. I started out liking Neelix but now he's an annoying creep. Actually I like Tuvok. He seems to be the only one on board who knows what the gently caress is going on.

Huh I just realized the doctors are two of the most interesting characters on those shows. Like the opposite of TNG.

I'm in the same boat. I finished VOY last year and I hated it. The Doctor's bottle episodes are about half of the watchable episodes for me. ENT, on the other hand, seems to have turned a corner. I'm in the middle/end of season two, and it's getting alright/good on a consistent basis. It's not great, but it's better than VOY.

Speaking of which, I just watched ENT's "Cease Fire" and every time Jeffrey Combs' Andorian character is on screen I just wan to watch DS9. Still, his character in this is good, and he comes with a good plot. I kind of hope the show just forgets abut the Temporal Cold War and never mentions it again. Shadowy figure from the 30th century? Who? What? Huh? :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It kinda does, even though it comes back in seasons 3 and 4.

I've said before, I bet there was a post it note in the writers room that said "Temporal Cold War" on it that had been floating around since TNG and with Ent they finally were able to use it.

They had no idea what it was, but it sure sounded cool!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Supposedly Andrew Robinson ad-libbed the two best lines in Hellraiser. So he gets a lifetime pass to do whatever he wants as an actor.

So much for the cat and mouse poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Star Trek is a terrifying world to live in. Every day there's some new threat that involves destroying your home world except some plucky heroes barely stop it, or don't and have to time travel. Being a human on earth during some decades the shows don't cover you can maybe imagine life is fairly uneventful. But otherwise it's "Hey remember that borg invasion? That was almost as bad as when we were freaking out about changelings taking over our government during a genocidal existential war that killed billions and we barely avoided a military coup. Which kinda reminded me of maybe a decade before how our government was almost taken over by horrible parasites that wanted to infest us all. Grandpa told me about this time the planet was almost destroyed by loving whale noises and some criminals had to time travel in a stolen ship to solve that one. PS I have no idea if any of my memories are real or if the timeline is constantly changing because time travel and alternate realities are all real. Better get back to shucking these oysters"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

dont even fink about it posted:

You have to look at this historically. Ellen DeGeneres had a parental guidance warning put on her show in 1997 for every episode after she came out as gay, and then it went off the air. Today the controversy seems totally absurd to everyone. Homosexuality in mainstream media became acceptable at blinding speed, but before then it could end careers.

Yep. There's a reason Ellen's show was so groundbreaking. Gerrold's Blood and Fire script could easily have gotten the show canceled in 1988 (when he wanted it produced) -- not only did it promote a positive view of homosexuality and long-term relationships at a time when homosexuality was still in the DSM as an unspecified sexual disorder, it also had a pretty blatant allegory for AIDS at the height of the AIDS panic.

quote:

By the time TNG rolled around, Gene was straight-up senile.

Yeah, The Fifty Year Mission gets into this with some of the interviews but the Engel book gets into the really excruciating detail. Most of the time, he didn't remember things he had said five minutes earlier. He was still coherent enough to do things like approve casting decisions in the early goings of TNG, but by the second season his brain was essentially gone -- four decades of heavy alcohol abuse and three decades of cocaine and LSD will do that to you. Nick Meyer is on the record as feeling bad for how harshly he treated Gene during the pre-production of Star Trek VI.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I've caught the Ellen coming out episode of Ellen a couple times recently on the Laff network and it ends up being really uncomfortable not for showing a gay person but how squeamish it is about gay people existing.

That was, what, twenty years ago? We still have sitcoms doing "gay panic" storylines for laughs (looking at you, Big Bang Theory) -- we have a very, very long way to go.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Star Trek is a terrifying world to live in. Every day there's some new threat that involves destroying your home world except some plucky heroes barely stop it, or don't and have to time travel. Being a human on earth during some decades the shows don't cover you can maybe imagine life is fairly uneventful. But otherwise it's "Hey remember that borg invasion? That was almost as bad as when we were freaking out about changelings taking over our government during a genocidal existential war that killed billions and we barely avoided a military coup. Which kinda reminded me of maybe a decade before how our government was almost taken over by horrible parasites that wanted to infest us all. Grandpa told me about this time the planet was almost destroyed by loving whale noises and some criminals had to time travel in a stolen ship to solve that one. PS I have no idea if any of my memories are real or if the timeline is constantly changing because time travel and alternate realities are all real. Better get back to shucking these oysters"

How typical is the daily routine of the enterprise in any given show? Is the enterprise always that one ship that discovers Apollo and travels to the evil universe or is that happening on every ship all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

vermin posted:

How typical is the daily routine of the enterprise in any given show? Is the enterprise always that one ship that discovers Apollo and travels to the evil universe or is that happening on every ship all the time?

And only during the "day" shift when all the important people are working.