Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chill la Chill posted:

They'd better make limited edition bodybuilding/fashion poses Custodes then. :mad:

Games Workshop should start doing "pin-up" versions of models like Kingdom Death does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Games Workshop should start doing "pin-up" versions of models like Kingdom Death does

naked space marines but because of all that genetic engineering stuff they just look like ken dolls with occasional some cyborg poo poo

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

naked space marines but because of all that genetic engineering stuff they just look like ken dolls with occasional some cyborg poo poo

Isn't that what the AoS Khorne bloodpooper faction is without the cybertech?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Chill la Chill posted:

They'd better make limited edition bodybuilding/fashion poses Custodes then. :mad:
Infinity just did a fat guy eating noodles, but GW will never do Jojostodes.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Thundercloud posted:

Roboute Guilleman came back and made them put clothes on and go out and fight xenos, according to the new lore.

The armour is straight out of the heresy art books, they just decided not to wear pants for 10,000 years after the heresy.

Which is what happens in the YouTube parody video series "If The Emperor Had a Text to Speech Device".

The Emperor wakes up/gets plugged into a microphone and questions all the crap that started happening after he got shoved in the throne. At one point the Custodes turn up, all they talk about is their amazing oiled bodies and the Emperor wants to know wtf happened to their armour.

So I guess that is basically Cannon now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well to be fair if your only job is to guard the imperial palace on Terra, and consequently you haven't had to actually fight for thousands of years, it makes sense you'd swap out bulky power armor for more comfortable uniforms eventually.

The oiled bodies thing never made sense to me though. :shrug:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Leperflesh posted:

Well to be fair if your only job is to guard the imperial palace on Terra, and consequently you haven't had to actually fight for thousands of years, it makes sense you'd swap out bulky power armor for more comfortable uniforms eventually.

The Emperor likes 'em thick and slippery, that's all.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leperflesh posted:

It shows off the muscles. That's why bodybuilders oil up for competitions. And since Custodes have nothing to do but be prepared for poo poo, they can't get honor or recognition on the battlefield like Space Marines, it would make sense that they'd compete by trying to have the best bod.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Look at the muscularity! /the bard

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
uhhh, custodes have looked like ur-sigmarines since 3rd edition at least. the bare oil chested dudes were from rogue trader

this is one of the first things you see when you first open the 3rd ed rulebook

of course, its pretty loving dumb that they have models for dudes whos only job is to guard the emprah when there is no model of the emprah himself

now i want them to make a model of his desiccated husk chilling on the golden throne

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That old metal Nagash, but gold.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

holy loving poo poo the custodes models are bad and their rules are a complete letdown, just like the rules to the primarchs they've released so far

and i assume the ones they do in the future will be a huge letdown when compared to the fluff too, but the 40k rules set is completely inappropriate for those kinds of fantastic individual warriors

i guess it shouldn't be a surprise they came out with custodes though, they had those exact same models in the newest 30k board game

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

now i want them to make a model of his desiccated husk chilling on the golden throne

gotchu fam

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Meanwhile in 30k new custdoes are one of the most powerful armies

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

uhhh, custodes have looked like ur-sigmarines since 3rd edition at least. the bare oil chested dudes were from rogue trader

of course, its pretty loving dumb that they have models for dudes whos only job is to guard the emprah when there is no model of the emprah himself

I remember this well. They were dumb looking back in the early 90`s, but at least back then they were 2D only.

In unrelated news, I just saw an advert for AvP second edition. I thought they were still shipping the kickstarter!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ugleb posted:

In unrelated news, I just saw an advert for AvP second edition. I thought they were still shipping the kickstarter!

They are.

Prodos is... is not a well-run company. Pretty glad I didn't back any of their kickstarters

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

They are.

Prodos is... is not a well-run company. Pretty glad I didn't back any of their kickstarters

...So it is as crap as I thought it was. Huh.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah. To be honest I'm still kinda tempted to play Warzone Resurrection despite my reservations, but for sure I'll buy them through an FLGS or 3rd party website and definitely not direct order.

But never, ever buy into a Prodos kickstarter

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

I don't know why, but I always assumed those guys with the scrolls in the background were fighting over their place in the queue.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
theyre arguing over who has to deliver the scroll to the top of the pyramid

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why does he have a sword for a dick?

I've been away from the hobby for a long time. It's really hard to imagine these are GW's new products. Did they just stop caring or did they lose all their talent? They used to make some really nice looking but overpriced minis.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That art of the throne is awesome, I love the big hulking monster robot things.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I don't know why, but I always assumed those guys with the scrolls in the background were fighting over their place in the queue.

The worlds those crop reports they are trying to file were destroyed by Orks a thousand years ago

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

theyre arguing over who has to deliver the scroll to the top of the pyramid

are they arguing because they both want to do it, or neither of them want to?

this is important

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Moola posted:

are they arguing because they both want to do it, or neither of them want to?

this is important

forge your own narrative my friend

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Bad Moon posted:

The worlds those crop reports they are trying to file were destroyed by Orks a thousand years ago

Are there any stories about the Imperial bureaucracy? It must be an absolute nightmare trying to do your tax return for example.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
So I guess we've all been pronouncing it incorrectly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2KqndeepXQ

Ro-boo-tay.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

forge your own narrative my friend

they both want to

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Are there any stories about the Imperial bureaucracy? It must be an absolute nightmare trying to do your tax return for example.

I don't know if there are any actual books or anything, but if you get the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer or the Munitorum Manual they are basically in-universe books that play all the imperial stuff straight. So the Primer includes the process for reporting that your weapon/equipment has been lost or damaged, and implies you'll get whipped for completing it wrong. There is also stuff like a page that has 'THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK. DO NOT MARK ON PAIN OF DEATH' on it, etc.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Dr. Gargunza posted:

So I guess we've all been pronouncing it incorrectly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2KqndeepXQ

Ro-boo-tay.

every time i look at that model, it gets worse. holy poo poo

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Filling your tax return in wrong gets you sent to a penal legion. If you did it deliberately it's a death sentence, for stealing from the God-Emperor.

I miss the Rogue Trader fluff.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Batcherub looks like he's about to sneeze really hard

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

walruscat posted:

I've been away from the hobby for a long time. It's really hard to imagine these are GW's new products. Did they just stop caring or did they lose all their talent? They used to make some really nice looking but overpriced minis.

I dont really get the hate for the models. They could be better but compared to Text to Speech's Kitten they are wanting. The helmets are kinda neat though. Like if the army box was cheap (HA!) I could see getting it to use the Custodes in Space Hulk and taking the vehicle stuff to shore up Loyalist or Chaos builds. Contemptor Dread, Land Raider, and Rhino? Yes sir!

But it won't be because GW. And if I am gonna buy silly minis poo poo I kind of want the new Warpath Mega Starter for ALL THE DORFS, and the FoW El Alamein starter. (But make sure you are looking for the correct El Al. game. There is a card game that is.. well its anime. So very VERY modern anime. )

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

One of the Necromunda books has a librarian who discovers a potentially huge secret about the founding of the hive. He spends the first third of the book trying to tell someone about it, which is difficult because the waiting list to see the Princess is so long they've invented a new numbering system to describe people's place in it. And then he spends the second third of the book trying to get equipment for an expedition to the underhive, which is almost impossible because he cut in line to see the Princess so the number he has doesn't match the number of his complaint and that gets everything all hosed up.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of the Necromunda books has a librarian who discovers a potentially huge secret about the founding of the hive. He spends the first third of the book trying to tell someone about it, which is difficult because the waiting list to see the Princess is so long they've invented a new numbering system to describe people's place in it. And then he spends the second third of the book trying to get equipment for an expedition to the underhive, which is almost impossible because he cut in line to see the Princess so the number he has doesn't match the number of his complaint and that gets everything all hosed up.

There was one of the Inquisitor books (Eisenhorn or Ravenor, I think Ravenor) which they were investigating a planet that basic did peoples taxes. Only the bad guys were starting to corrupt the system and summon demons by putting parts of evil spells in their deductions.

It's like Brazil, but instead of Tuttle it is daemons.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

*tips top hat* "M'lady. Are you a lady? Damnit, I can't tell under all this armor!"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

im the codpiece

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fifteen Hours has a bit that's pretty close.

Pity the rest of it is Fifteen Hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I guess AoS is good now?

• Locked thread