Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

khy posted:

How did 'tilted' become synonymous for being upset in overwatch?

On tilt is a poker term for when you're frustrated / mad and start playing sub-optimally because you're letting emotions take control. Poker players need to control themselves so they don't go on tilt while trying to get other players on tilt.

It just spread from one game to another (and to another and a million others before reaching Overwatch). It's not a new thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

khy posted:

How did 'tilted' become synonymous for being upset in overwatch?

Tilted has meant upset for a while, but it has gained ground in popularity recently in video game circles. I saw a Poker reference on urban dictionary going back to 2004, and the term is probably older than that.

e: Beaten mercilessly.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Probably from pinball, when you hit the machine hard enough it'll end your ball and flash tilt

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
It wasn't from hitting the machine, it was from literally trying to lift and tilt the machine to cheat and manipulate a pinball away from being lost. Either way, it's the product of anger disrupting healthy playing rhythms.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Minrad posted:

yes, and gaben, walker's boss, has said publicly time and time again that valve wants to monetize modding

the only thing blizzard has said about modding is that they would maybe like to include fan creations some day in overwatch

fan-made maps would be a godsend

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Theta Zero posted:

Not only could you change the hit sound pitch, you could also change the noise alltogether.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4Hz5DIfEE

But the answer to both of your questions is no. You can't alter the hit sound in Overwatch at all and Overwatch is pretty anti-mods right now. There's absolutely no mod support.

Man, the memories. I used to have the SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY soundclip for my hitsound, and all I really played was direct hit soldier. So if I got an airshot it would take like 15 seconds for a super bassy SMOOOOOOOKE WEEEEEEEDDDD.......

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It wasn't from hitting the machine, it was from literally trying to lift and tilt the machine to cheat and manipulate a pinball away from being lost. Either way, it's the product of anger disrupting healthy playing rhythms.

The same tilt sensor serves two purposes - it stops people tilting the machine to make the game easier, and it limits how hard you can shove the machine around to manipulate the ball. The origin of the phrase "tilting" is when someone would get so angry at the game that they'd violently shake the machine until the tilt sensor got activated.

Besides, if you can't save a draining ball with just a well-timed love tap, you're not really a pinball wizard.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
I GOT U JUNKRAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB3WEmEINeE

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
At the very least, Blizzard could allow us to make changes to the hud - like having two tiny coloured dots near your crosshair that change colour when your cooldowns are up - or allow us to change the sound effects of cooldowns to our own.

Or at the very least, but a black outline around the cooldown ui and your healthbar hud. Glancing at a white healthbar when I am near a white floor is not helpful.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Had a guy play Junkrat in comp the other day who did pretty alright with him, but what made it great was first off, this dude was clearly high as hell. Like I'm talking straight up audibly was doing bong hits occasionally throughout the match. Secondly anytime he would kill someone he would go "get junked on :smug:" and it basically became the catchphrase for me and my friends the rest of the night. Chill rear end Junkrat player

On the other hand though, we had a Mercy player in a comp match recently who, when my friend who is a girl said something in voice chat, the Mercy player proceeded to go "oh! Oooh ooooh my" and making moaning noises. He then would constantly do Mercy's damage boost to her and would keep saying "I'm powering up the grill!" which on one hand that's actually kind of clever but on the other hand he was gross. My friend understandably does not talk in voice chat too often

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Macaluso posted:

Had a guy play Junkrat in comp the other day who did pretty alright with him, but what made it great was first off, this dude was clearly high as hell. Like I'm talking straight up audibly was doing bong hits occasionally throughout the match. Secondly anytime he would kill someone he would go "get junked on :smug:" and it basically became the catchphrase for me and my friends the rest of the night. Chill rear end Junkrat player

This story made me laugh for a good ten seconds straight

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Orisa is out on the 21st.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bummer, I was hoping it'd be this week

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Macaluso posted:

On the other hand though, we had a Mercy player in a comp match recently who, when my friend who is a girl said something in voice chat, the Mercy player proceeded to go "oh! Oooh ooooh my" and making moaning noises. He then would constantly do Mercy's damage boost to her and would keep saying "I'm powering up the grill!" which on one hand that's actually kind of clever but on the other hand he was gross. My friend understandably does not talk in voice chat too often
There's a woman in my playgroup and that kind of thing happens quite a lot. I think it partly explains why some players never use voicechat.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There's a woman in my playgroup and that kind of thing happens quite a lot. I think it partly explains why some players never use voicechat.

What is it about modern games like Overwatch and CSGO that makes people so mental? Up until like 2008, I don't remember seeing this kind of toxicity being the norm (eg UT2k4 or Starcraft 1 or Diablo 2).

Did DOTA/LOL ruin everything?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Get junked on is the best reason I've ever heard to bomb with the Rat.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What is it about modern games like Overwatch and CSGO that makes people so mental? Up until like 2008, I don't remember seeing this kind of toxicity being the norm (eg UT2k4 or Starcraft 1 or Diablo 2).

When it comes to FPS people have been spoiled by matchmaking and high-speed internet. There was a time where you had to find the servers that gave you a decent ping AND a fair share of frequent players. You stuck to those servers and gradually became familiar with other regulars, so you were no longer playing with strangers.

Nowadays it's all up to the matchmaker which has made life easier, but if I'm having a bad game then it's all the matchmaker's fault because it is forcing to play alongside these blithering idiots, such loving bullshit.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I end up playing with the same people even on different nights in competitive which is fun because we all recognize each others names even though none of us have the others on our friends list.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's mostly rose tinted glasses. People have been toxic in online videogames for time immemorial. However, when you throw competition into the mix, it tends to rile people up more than usual. If the kind of matchmaking systems that are de rigeur today were commonplace in the past, I assume we would have seen an almost mirror trend.

"Competitive" eSports has grown exponentially. Back in the day, playing 5v5 competitive CS was mostly for groups of 5 and a fairly niche aspect of the game in comparison to public play. That's no longer the case.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Daric posted:

I end up playing with the same people even on different nights in competitive which is fun because we all recognize each others names even though none of us have the others on our friends list.

This only increases once you hit a higher rank and get stuck there for a bit. The majority of people I played with in masters at 3am were the same people day in and out.

Was pretty chill after a while.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

QP can be toxic but I think the true rage comes from the inner conflict between your believed skill and what an official number says you are.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

^burtle posted:

QP can be toxic but I think the true rage comes from the inner conflict between your believed skill and what an official number says you are.

Rage = Ego - Skill

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

WarCraft 3 was loving terrible. My friend and I did a lot of custom game modes together and were always somewhat amused at how absolutely horrible people were, and this was back around 2004-2007.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i mean im a grown rear end man who coaches children's soccer and taught middle school for five years, so by all accounts i should be pretty level headed but losing ranked games in Overwatch makes me reeeeeeeeeeeal salty

it's the combination of anonymity letting people be dicks and the fact that a bad pick really fucks your team, I think. if it's a close game i dont rage but if some slampicking five prestige silver ranked hanzo wont switch to help push i just, i cant even

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

^burtle posted:

My roommate, somewhere around ~2500, has in the last few weeks taken to shouting out loud at his teammates while playing instead of just quietly hating them. As his frustration increases, his ranking drops even further.

So I get to comfortably sit at diamond level while constantly hearing "GOD DAMMIT KILL THE loving PHARAH" coming from the other room. Don't worry buddy, I'm sure you'll get put on the team you deserve eventually.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Efexeye posted:

i mean im a grown rear end man who coaches children's soccer and taught middle school for five years, so by all accounts i should be pretty level headed but losing ranked games in Overwatch makes me reeeeeeeeeeeal salty

it's the combination of anonymity letting people be dicks and the fact that a bad pick really fucks your team, I think. if it's a close game i dont rage but if some slampicking five prestige silver ranked hanzo wont switch to help push i just, i cant even

I get salty too, but I don't spread it to ingame chat/voice. Only the people on third party voice with me will ever hear how salty I actually am.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Reinhardt is good and cool, and my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luDMRzK9kGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqB6GrR6vHM

Ninja Edit: ^ Salty Peanut Man is your new Forums Name.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 14, 2017

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I get salty too, but I don't spread it to ingame chat/voice. Only the people on third party voice with me will ever hear how salty I actually am.

oh, me neither. i disconnected my mic for Overwatch. but i do quit after two losses in a row and that seems to have mitigated the salt factor a bit

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im gonna use my golden gun points on orisa because to me its the coolest gun even if im not sure how good orisa is going to be

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ToastyPotato posted:

WarCraft 3 was loving terrible. My friend and I did a lot of custom game modes together and were always somewhat amused at how absolutely horrible people were, and this was back around 2004-2007.

Yeah, I consciously omitted Warcraft 3 for that reason. :v:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yeah, I consciously omitted Warcraft 3 for that reason. :v:

Right. That's where the moba community started, so... obviously.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Donnerberg posted:

Right. That's where the moba community started, so... obviously.

I've never played MOBAs before besides the original Warcraft DOTA mod. Is there a reason why their communities specifically are so notoriously toxic?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I've never played MOBAs before besides the original Warcraft DOTA mod. Is there a reason why their communities specifically are so notoriously toxic?

Well, a bad player can bring down a team by themselves, games can be lost and still go on for 20+ minutes, there's a lot of highly technical bullshit that everyone thinks they know but they really don't, etc.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
But the real reason is that it's real loving easy to blame everyone else and lends itself to armchair generalling real hard

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Mostly because the games are longer. That said though, back when I did play Dota 2 I didn't encounter nearly as meny real bad ragers as the stories would have you believe. The vast majority of people were mostly just quiet.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I always heard it was because you could actively compete for gold and xp with teammates creating possible strife but I hardly played them so

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It's a combination of the hour long match time, leavers not being replaced and there being a million pitfalls to gently caress up in a match that breaks down moba players over time and turn them into spiteful balls of hate. Mobas are a perfect storm of stuff that can piss you off. That and MMO raids I guess. No other genres really throw that much bullshit at the player and expect them to swallow and ask for seconds.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wow, that sounds miserable! Thanks for the heads up.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I still have fun with the more casual games like HotS. Precisely because they do away with a lot of the bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Gloryhold It! posted:

I still have fun with the more casual games like HotS. Precisely because they do away with a lot of the bullshit

That's EXACTLY why I enjoy HotS. It can still punish you but it's far, far more forgiving and more chill than 90% of the other MOBAs out there.